Pallett pals with Mika

mari62

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

British pop star Mika's sophomore album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, features Final Fantasy's Owen Pallett -- a Toronto native notable for winning the innaugural Polaris Prize -- on the new song Rain.

Mika was introduced to Pallett via British producer James Ford (Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons), who had used him to do some string arrangements

"He was like, 'You have to meet this man. You have to do something together. You guys come from a similar universe,'" said Mika.

"And I called Owen and he was in some airport. And I was like, 'Hi, this is Mika.' And he was like, 'Really?' And I was like, 'Yeah, I want to work with you.' He was like, 'Oh, great!' And that was it.

We were going to do a whole EP together. (The 2009 EP) Songs For Sorrow was going to be him and me together.

In the end his album was just finished so I couldn't wait. For us, it would have messed up everything. But he's an extremely talented musician.

We're going to do more projects together in the future. We're going to try and do another EP project in the next five or six months."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/entertainment/music/2009/10/05/11301196-sun.html

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2009/10/05/11302431-sun.html

My mom bought me the 'Mika Moves On' article today, and this one was at the side of it.

We're going to do more projects together in the future. We're going to try and do another EP project in the next five or six months."

Ha! As if. Maybe 5 or 6...years. :mf_rosetinted:

• 2 months later...

You may already know that Mika is in this month's December issue of US Vogue - but if you're also a fan of Owen Pallett, you'll be pleasantly suprised to find him in the same issue.

(Didn't know where else to spread this other than the other "Mika in Vogue" thread).

owenpallett.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Even today i was reading some interview with OP in a portuguese newspaper as he has written most of his songs from his 2nd album in Lisbon...yeah he said that...he lived here for a few months in a neghboorhood not far from my house...

And now i found it in my alert...

There's a Mika Rain mention...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/16/owen-pallett-interview-heartland

Edited by willywonka

"He was like, 'You have to meet this man. You have to do something together. You guys come from a similar universe,'" said Mika.

Cos I presume they don't come from the same universe as you and I do?:blink:

This is great news if it comes off.

And I hope Owens playing is more in the forefront, this time. As clever as it was what they did with Rain, it is blended in so well, you don't get the full impact of the violin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rain, but in a future project it would be nice to get a bit more of his playing.

I agree Rose. It does seem a bit of a shame to have someone brilliant contribute to the album and then not actually be able to hear them.