Pallett pals with Mika

mari62

British pop star Mika's sophomore album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, features Final Fantasy's Owen Pallett -- a Toronto native notable for winning the innaugural Polaris Prize -- on the new song Rain.

Mika was introduced to Pallett via British producer James Ford (Arctic Monkeys, Klaxons), who had used him to do some string arrangements

"He was like, 'You have to meet this man. You have to do something together. You guys come from a similar universe,'" said Mika.

"And I called Owen and he was in some airport. And I was like, 'Hi, this is Mika.' And he was like, 'Really?' And I was like, 'Yeah, I want to work with you.' He was like, 'Oh, great!' And that was it.

We were going to do a whole EP together. (The 2009 EP) Songs For Sorrow was going to be him and me together.

In the end his album was just finished so I couldn't wait. For us, it would have messed up everything. But he's an extremely talented musician.

We're going to do more projects together in the future. We're going to try and do another EP project in the next five or six months."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/entertainment/music/2009/10/05/11301196-sun.html

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be awesome, but don't get too excited. Mika seems to talk about projects before they are formalised.He says he wants to work with Calvin Harris also but I don't see when he is going to find the time to do everything.

I do hope anyway.:wub2:

This is great news if it comes off.

And I hope Owens playing is more in the forefront, this time. As clever as it was what they did with Rain, it is blended in so well, you don't get the full impact of the violin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rain, but in a future project it would be nice to get a bit more of his playing.

Owen :fangurl: I love his work! He is such a great musician :wub2:

I would love to see Mika and Owen working together again. About "the new EP" I think we will have to wait a few years :naughty:

Thanks for posting :thumb_yello:

You know I was just thinking about an EP today! I was actually thinking of how Mika might possibly release HMDYLM and HJ, and I thought, he might possibly do an EP with them on.

So I could be right about an EP, but I'm probably not right about the songs. I'm probably dead wrong about the songs in fact!

But it would be great to have an EP with Mika and Owen, whatever the songs are!!!

This is great news if it comes off.

And I hope Owens playing is more in the forefront, this time. As clever as it was what they did with Rain, it is blended in so well, you don't get the full impact of the violin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rain, but in a future project it would be nice to get a bit more of his playing.

I also think that it's a bit of a shame that we never got to see the full brilliancy of his violin playing...

He's SO good :wub2: and yet you can hardly make him out in the album version of Rain :boxed:. I do love Rain as well, I adore it, and I wouldn't change it in the slightest (ok, maybe making the chorus slightly less repetitive :wink2:) but perhaps using him on a different type of song would show Owen's skill better :thumb_yello:.

Very excited at the prospect of this EP but knowing what Mika's timeframes are, I won't be holding my breath quite yet :naughty:.