Mika's dance moves! Oh YESSS!!!

Marilyn Mastin

Hi everyone.

I did a search to see if there was already a thread about this, and there isn't so here goes!!

What do you think of the new Twinkle-toes-Mika? I think his dance moves are brilliant!

I particularly love when he stands on his tip-toes! that takes really good balence. Ballerinas have tips in their shoes to allow them to do that, Mika just stands on the edge of his shoes! Amazing!!

But I do really love all of his new moves, and I also love that he's not trying to copy other dancing perfoirmers, but creating his own style!

I'm sure he will get better and better as time goes on and I am just SO excited.

What do others think? Let the discussion begin!!! :thumb_yello:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his moves are insane:naughty: But I love them cos you can tell he's really enjoying himself. I like what he said about it being a big statement...

"There's something very particular about dancing on your own in a night club. It's a big statement of independence and liberation because you're basically sending a message out to everybody else that says 'I'm not interested in any of you, I'm not interested in flirting with any of you, I'm not interested in impressing any of you, I'm not interested in what you think of me - even if you think I'm a loser or you don't think I'm cool because of the way that I'm dancing. I'm here purely for me.' So it's a big empowering statement."

:wub2:

Only some Ballerina's. Some have ballet shoes, some have pointe shoes. Please let me express how painful pointe shoes are - the tips have wood in them and you only have a bit of padding to protect yourself. People's toes can get bruised or even bleed. You need good ankle strength to support yourself and when learning ballet, you don't even start pointe work till grade 5 or 6. That's like...13 years old? 14 years old? Quite old. You need a lot of training before doing it. I just needed to say that because it's not easy peasy.

Mika's admitted to having something similar implemented into the tip of his shoes. (His Christian Louboutin's anyway) and I'm pretty sure that if you look in videos BEFORE those Louboutin's, he used converse shoes which are pretty flat by the toes.

Don't get me wrong, what Mika does isn't exactly easy and you do need good balance for it, but there's NO way he could do pointe LOL. His posture is all wrong for it. He bends his knees to do it and that's not the proper way to do it.

But this isn't about Mika doing it the proper way lol. I don't expect Mika to get on stage kipped out in just male ballerina leggings and pointe shoes. (I think I'd die from laughter if that happened) but there IS a massive difference.

I do like Mika's dancing though (sometimes). He has his own quirky style...like, he's the sort of guy who can't be taught how to dance or be taught to use a certain style. He's a bit too...um, unco-ordinated for that lol.

Only some Ballerina's. Some have ballet shoes, some have pointe shoes. Please let me express how painful pointe shoes are - the tips have wood in them and you only have a bit of padding to protect yourself. People's toes can get bruised or even bleed. You need good ankle strength to support yourself and when learning ballet, you don't even start pointe work till grade 5 or 6. That's like...13 years old? 14 years old? Quite old. You need a lot of training before doing it. I just needed to say that because it's not easy peasy.

Mika's admitted to having something similar implemented into the tip of his shoes. (His Christian Louboutin's anyway) and I'm pretty sure that if you look in videos BEFORE those Louboutin's, he used converse shoes which are pretty flat by the toes.

Don't get me wrong, what Mika does isn't exactly easy and you do need good balance for it, but there's NO way he could do pointe LOL. His posture is all wrong for it. He bends his knees to do it and that's not the proper way to do it.

But this isn't about Mika doing it the proper way lol. I don't expect Mika to get on stage kipped out in just male ballerina leggings and pointe shoes. (I think I'd die from laughter if that happened) but there IS a massive difference.

I do like Mika's dancing though (sometimes). He has his own quirky style...like, he's the sort of guy who can't be taught how to dance or be taught to use a certain style. He's a bit too...um, unco-ordinated for that lol.

But he still does it; we have all seen the evidence haven't we?

So how do you think he's able to pull it off?:wink2:

I think it's the combination with steady shoes and very little body weight to his length and muscle mass!

Hi everyone.

I did a search to see if there was already a thread about this, and there isn't so here goes!!

What do you think of the new Twinkle-toes-Mika? I think his dance moves are brilliant!

I particularly love when he stands on his tip-toes! that takes really good balence. Ballerinas have tips in their shoes to allow them to do that, Mika just stands on the edge of his shoes! Amazing!!

But I do really love all of his new moves, and I also love that he's not trying to copy other dancing perfoirmers, but creating his own style!

I'm sure he will get better and better as time goes on and I am just SO excited.

What do others think? Let the discussion begin!!! :thumb_yello:

His dance moves, I quite simply love them!:mf_lustslow:

He has his very own style which I think is brave and amazing and I’m starting to get really tired of comments like: “He can’t dance” and things like that!

Of course he can and I would like to ask people with sarcastic comments about his dancing:

Have you ever seen yourself dancing and moving on tape?:poke:

I know he said somewhere a long time ago that his sisters had told him that he did funny moves on stage and that it wasn’t dancing….well…who would trust a sibling on this?:doh:

Ask us fans instead…you’ll get a much nicer answer!:bleh:

I have a bit of a strange relationship with his 'moves' at the moment. :naughty:

I really didn't like his dancing in the Through the Looking Glass thingy on TV (when he was performing in front of the mannequins), or in the BIOTG video; I found it forced and stilted and just awkward. And yet, I love the dancing in the new Rain video, and on the videos from the live shows in Canada/US.

Perhaps it's when Mika is really into the dancing that I find it good to watch, when he is losing himself a bit in it.

I agree he has a unique style, whilst obviously not being a natural dancer like Michael Jackson, or the likes of Justin Timberlake, even.

I would love to see Mika in Strictly Come Dancing :roftl::wub2:. Only theoretically of course, as it would mean his career was washed up if he appeared on there..but it's fun to imagine. I bet he would do a wicked paso doble and tango..throwing all those shapes, and attitude. :mf_lustslow:

But he still does it; we have all seen the evidence haven't we?

So how do you think he's able to pull it off?:wink2:

I think it's the combination with steady shoes and very little body weight to his length and muscle mass!

Of course he does it, he just does it in his own style, but it's not the right way to do it (from a dancer's perspective). That's all I'm saying lol.

Can Mika dance? Well that depends on what you interpret as dancing. It's a mix of club dancing and bedroom dancing, really. He's got rhythm and knows when to move, I'll give him that, but I wouldn't quite call it "dancing" personally. It's more of a "freak out" in my opinion LOL

I love Mika's unique 'dancing' or perhaps it would be more accurate to say 'moves'! In the same way that Mick Jagger and Michael Hutchence, for example, have/had their trademark 'dancing' styles, so does Mika.

And the way he moves is so Mika - he's wonderfully uninhibited; it's really something to watch and in its own way, really beautiful (and no, I'm not being sarcastic, LOL!)

I know that the pointe work in ballet is a very hard skill to learn. I also know that Mika is no ballet dancer. I really admire those who do it and I know it isn't as easy as it looks. I'm only saying that I love how Mika stands on his toes, and even though he may have special tips in his shoes to do it, it still takes some doing.

I love how he tries to learn new ways to entertain us, and his performances are never stale. The dance moves are a part of that ongoing process that is so exciting from Mika.

Is it just me that thinks his dance moves look a little more... choregraphed of late? I would imagine they were all choregraphed, but lately it's just a bit more obvious, and it doesn't look as fun =/

I know that the pointe work in ballet is a very hard skill to learn. I also know that Mika is no ballet dancer. I really admire those who do it and I know it isn't as easy as it looks. I'm only saying that I love how Mika stands on his toes, and even though he may have special tips in his shoes to do it, it still takes some doing.

I love how he tries to learn new ways to entertain us, and his performances are never stale. The dance moves are a part of that ongoing process that is so exciting from Mika.

I was pretty sure you weren't saying that pointe work is easy lol :naughty: I just didn't want other people to get the impression that it is :aah:

I love the way he dances, so full of energy and it's interesting. My sister saw him do his cool pointy toe dance thing he did when he sang Rain on Jools Holland Later (

look at 2:30) she said, "He needs to learn some better dance moves and stop dancing that way." I was like "What?" because I really liked that move.

I love the way he dances, so full of energy and it's interesting. My sister saw him do his cool pointy toe dance thing he did when he sang Rain on Jools Holland Later (
look at 2:30) she said, "He needs to learn some better dance moves and stop dancing that way." I was like "What?" because I really liked that move.

I like that move a lot too!

I think that Mika isn't a textbook "good" dancer--but I absolutely adore the way he dances. He's so energetic and lively when he's on stage, like he's feeding off of the crowd energy! And when he dances like he doesn't care, everyone else does too! A lot of musicians just play their songs, but I honestly think Mika is one of the best ever at putting on a show.

However, when he does TV appearances or music videos that haven't been carefully edited (:fisch:), he really looks like a sh*t dancer. But when he's in front of a crowd, he's fantastic!

I adore the way Mika dances on stage. :wub2:

All it takes to dance like that is a basic sense of rhythm and a boat load of confidence. And I think we've witnessed Mika getting a whole lot more confident over the last couple years.

I also love that he's been doing this tour barefoot. There's something about barefoot Mika that I just adore. I'd be quite happy if he never did another gig with shoes on again. :roftl:

It just gives such a liberated feeling to his performances. He seems to move better when he's not wearing shoes. And while going up on his points looks cool the first time you see it, I'd gladly sacrifice that for how free he seems barefoot.

And, his dancing is best when he doesn't try. I think he's trying too hard in this video at 0:50:

I like this video at 3:08 when he and Erika both go mental:

:wub2:

I like it when he's dancing like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqTEav9NCP8#movie_player

2:35

So cool! :biggrin2::thumb_yello:

I like that too. And for all my love of barefoot Mika, I do miss the silver trainers he wore in 2007. I so want a pair, just in my size. :naughty:

i dont really like mikas new dancing (he didnt do this for LICM? not that i can remember?) it looks too.. forced, fabricated, odd. doesnt help mikas image, although the tiptoes thing is cool :thumb_yello:

if i'm honest i prefer the little 'skits' (like in the rain music video, or love today drumming with cherisse.) I think they're much more effective

I really just think that he is an amazing performer and his dancing/ moves enhance his singing. He is an extremely authentic person and just soo much fun! haha; the performances are obviously well rehearsed and prepared but i think a lot of it would be hype of the moment you know ? anyway. he is just so MIKA!

He doesn't have the flawlessness of some dancing performers like JT and MJ. He hasn't had the training and is too tall and gangly to be like them. But to me, that's okay, because he has a style of his own that he is still developing. I think he will get better as he goes on, and we know that when Mika decides to learn something new, he succeeds (like with his language skills)

He didn't dance with LICM, but now he does. He has gained confidence on stage and it is so wonderful to see him blossoming out there.

I do agree with the comment that he isn't very good dancing in a studio, without the fans to cheer him on, but I think that's good too, because it shows that he feeds off our energy on stage, and even if his dance moves are choreographed to some extent, I think he will always just let himself go, and it will be wonderful!