Mika And Your Family/Friends

purplegrape

Buying another album to spread the music is one thing, but if ever Mika returns to Toronto to do a seated gig, then I am buying tickets for the whole family (parents, grandparents, siblings, kids).

Then maybe I can finally say "I told you so!" :biggrin2:

That's what I'm hoping will happen to my boyfriend when I take him to see him live, he doesn't not like him...He doesn't like him very much. :sneaky2: So I hope he will realize the greatness. xD

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh....this could get the ball rolling. Does "decadence" run in the family? Could be genetic/hereditary! :teehee:

My parents were the first globetrotters, moving around countries when I was a kid; They just weren't chasing Mika, that's all :naughty:, but I think that it would mean that they're easy to move.

I reckon that she would travel for a gig after she's seen him live once and catches the bug:teehee:. They nearly went to one of the Paris gigs this summer but it was only work stopping them in the end! I was so happy that I had convinced them (so easily too).

As soon as I thought of the Barcelona thing I bought seats so they are as close to the stage as you can get with the seats; I hope that they will be alright!!!

When Mika was on Radio 4's Front Row the other week, I realised that that would have been 'entry level' for my mum (if she was still alive). He would have failed to impinge into her world until then.

Being new here, I'm feeling all shy about posting :blush-anim-cl: but I've gotta start somewhere so I guess I'll start here (though I did already post an introduction) :original:

Not many people know about my Mika "obsession":

My mom knew that I was looking forward to the release of his new CD. When she would ask me who it was I would just say "a person". I figure she wouldn't remember his name anyway (like when I mention my favorite athletes I refer to them as "my guys" :winksmiley02: ). One time when she heard me listening to LICM she asked me what kind of music it was...I told her it was "pop"...Lollipop was the song playing at the time and she said something like "I like this", that got a big :thumb_yello: from me :lol3: I don't know if my mom realizes that it's always Mika's music that I'm listening to, but she always catches me singing along. I'm usually shy about that too, but now I've gotten over it and when she walks in the room I keep on singing :biggrin2: I swear she always walks in when I'm singing along with One Foot Boy, and that's a song that you can't stop in the middle of, ya gotta keep singing :roftl:

My sister may have seen where I have mentioned Mika, but unless she got curious and looked him up she probably doesn't know who he is and she hasn't asked me about him. The next time she visits she will most likely get introduced to his music because I'm sure I'll be playing it when she is around :teehee:

I remember talking about Mika on another message board last year when I bought the LICM CD and I think even before that when I first heard Grace Kelly, but I haven't mentioned him on there recently. I know that one of the people that I talk to there likes at least some of Mika's music.

Being new here, I'm feeling all shy about posting :blush-anim-cl: but I've gotta start somewhere so I guess I'll start here (though I did already post an introduction) :original:

dun get shy, juz relax take it easy!

(though it took me more than a year to start speaking here aft joining):naughty:

i've bought my tix for his gig in HONG KONG next month but my parents still dunno. my mum only knows i'm obsessed with a foreign singer coz i used her credit card to buy the Songs for Sorrow EP before. besides this, nth more.:teehee:

as for my frds.... well, i only consider those who know and understand it as my REAL frds. sadly, my obsession is still hidden among most of my new frds in college :no:

The only one in my family of 6 that actually sorta even likes him is my mom. She thinks he's cute, and she's half-Lebanese herself so that also helped a little. She'll occasionally listen to my Mika rants.

As for my two sisters and brother, they won't let me play his music around them, they always tell me to turn it off. I don't understand why at all! They never even give him a chance and it's super frustrating. :dunno:

But my friend and I obsess over him together, so I don't feel completely alone around here, lol. We were actually supposed to go see a movie the other night and we went online to look up which movie to see, but we somehow ended up spending a night of 'Mika stalking' online and listening to his music, lol.:biggrin2:

Nice thread !!

I loved reading all your reviews and all your experiences !!

here is mine !

Well, it's a little bit complicated ! :naughty:

At the beginning, I just liked Mika, thought Love Today and Relax were pretty good songs and thought GK was weird ! :roftl: But my boyfriend really liked them. His birthday was in august and I was looking for an original gift so I took two tickets for the Nantes gig in France in october 2007. It was for him !

But I had a really tragic event in my life in september. I just saw my grandmother die in front of me. She had an aneurysm when I helped her with her shopping, it was a big shock. So I went into a really tough period and we arrived in early october, a few days before the Nantes gig. I told my boyfriend I wasn't in the mood to go to a gig and he didn't gave me the choice, we went to the gig. And I had a revelation ! :naughty: I totally enjoyed the gig and finally understood the guy was so amazing ! And this is the beginning of my Mika story ! I felt so peacefull and happy. I loved this world I entered in and I didn't wanted to be back in reality. I understood afterwhile that it was the reason I always wanted to go to gigs !

SO at the beginning, my mother thought it was good for me, but after a while she started thinking I was totally mad. She doesn't understand why I want to see the same singer and the same gig several time ! :naughty: it's always a tense subject ! We often fight each other when i's about attending a gig... and I feel sad she doesn't understand this part of me... She thought it was insane going to Paris for a tv set (when I went to The Grand journal ! )

But at the same time, she really likes his music, she thinks he's so cute, she always takes my Cds and she looked the pdp Dvd with me at least 5 times ! :naughty: she loves the videos and really apreciates the man. It's really paradoxical !

She even asked me one time "Honney, he's cute, so you must be in love with Mika" and I was like ":shocked:" She thought I was in love !!! :naughty: that made me giggled !

My father : He thinks I must live my own experiences ! he understands me because he was a fan when he was young. He just cheers me on ! he's even proud of my Mika story ! :naughty:when I was at the Brixton after party, when I speak to him after the gigs... He speaks about that to everybody :sneaky2: even, to his colleages ! and told them I'm one of the mods of a french fan club !!! :roftl:

And he likes his music, he thinks he's so telented for his age and was impressed he sold out a stadium at 25 years old and after a year and a half of career. He really likes TBWKTM Cd, especially the "jazzy" songs !

he always ask me at the phone "how is Mika" ! and call my friends of the french fan club "the Mickey club" :sneaky2:

And my boyfriend : he likes his music even if he can't stand LICM anymore because of me !! :naughty: He lets me doing all what I want with my Mika crazinesses and he is so understandable ! I'm really lucky even if he doesn't really get why I must go to all these gigs ! But he knows being a Mika fan since 2007 helps me being fine, so it's what matters to him... and he knows I made some good friends in this Mika story.

Sorry for this long post but it's nice thinking about that !

Edited by French Deb

My parents were the first globetrotters, moving around countries when I was a kid; They just weren't chasing Mika, that's all :naughty:, but I think that it would mean that they're easy to move.

I reckon that she would travel for a gig after she's seen him live once and catches the bug:teehee:. They nearly went to one of the Paris gigs this summer but it was only work stopping them in the end! I was so happy that I had convinced them (so easily too).

As soon as I thought of the Barcelona thing I bought seats so they are as close to the stage as you can get with the seats; I hope that they will be alright!!!

that's so cool !!! :biggrin2:

I also bought tickets in the seating area for my parents for the Nantes gig ! :naughty: they were really happy because I wanted to share that with them at least once... :blush-anim-cl:

Hope they'll have fun, because I also do that to convince them and make them understand why I'm a Mika fan :naughty:

This is just the thread I was searching for. Something reeeeeeaaaally weird happened today, it's about my mom. We have never listened the same music, but from this day...

I was listening Mika in the livingroom, where the best speakers in the house are, I was alone at home ofcourse. Then I remembered a thing I had to do and went to my room, leaving the cd go on. Then my mom got home, after about 15 mins I went to stop the player cause I thought it was annoying mom. And you never guess what I found! MY MOM dancing around with Mika's Blame It On The Girls!! :roftl: I laughed so hard :biggrin2:

And now I'm making plans with my mom to go to one of Mika's gig in France in spring :teehee:

So happy (and I love my mom) :wub2:

But I still got my boyfriend to hook, I have nobody to go with to the London gigs...

What does my family and friends think about Mika?

His music-most of my friends love it,they think it's relaxing,crazy,cartoonish

His artwork-my mum,sisters,bff think he's got great talent for art

His videos-friends think they r awesome,especially WAG ,but my family think its over the top

His songs-mum n dad dont know english so,have no idea about what is he singing about

His style-mum,sisters,friends think its....childlish and...gay-ish:blush-anim-cl:

my bff think its awesome

and about his personality- mum,sis,friends-crazy

bff-he's crazy,nice,funny

:biggrin2:

My Mom: She likes him, she thinks he's cool.

My Dad: Not sure, but when he heard a song he said he didn't like him.

My Step-Dad: I think he's warming up to him, but he thinks he's "Gay"

My one sister: Likes a song or two, but seems determined to hate him. She even claimed his stuff was "Alternative" because apparently he's not popular.

My other two sisters: LOVE him! They dace and sing to his music, make requests, and today came into my room begging for me to play his CD!! :biggrin2: I'm proud of the two little MIKA fans I've made. (Surprisingly I only tried recently)

My mum enjoys when i put his music on, she knows Mika as "the guy i saw in concert in Paris" LOL

My sister and niece love his music, both me and my sis share a big love to Happy Ending

My best friend is a big fan of Mika mainly because i don't stop talking about his music and art when i meet her..poor thing.:aah::teehee:

my suroundings pretty much despise him, and Im pretty much the blame...

okay- I wont be that harsh...

My mom is okay with him- TBWKTM is on repeat in her car- she dosnt mind too bad, though I feel like slaping her and my brother every time they sing along to the cd...

my dad keeps maikng fun of him, but I know he secreatly loves him :teehee: (I dont know if that should be disturbing or not)

and my best friend was okay with him at first- she said his music was "fine", but I simply couldnt take fina for an answer- so I spend every minute with her talking about him, and sharing music\clips\art etc... now she despises him- yay :yay:

:naughty:

my grandma refers to him as the curly haired tall boy... she once looked through Mikagasmics with me, and luckily, there were decent pictures on the page we were checking out (and by decent I mean no WAG closeups :aah:) and said- when you have a boyfriend, I hope he's prettier then him, you deserve nicer... then she left me with a funny face on... how can I possibly react to that? :roftl:

my suroundings pretty much despise him, and Im pretty much the blame...

okay- I wont be that harsh...

My mom is okay with him- TBWKTM is on repeat in her car- she dosnt mind too bad, though I feel like slaping her and my brother every time they sing along to the cd...

my dad keeps maikng fun of him, but I know he secreatly loves him :teehee: (I dont know if that should be disturbing or not)

and my best friend was okay with him at first- she said his music was "fine", but I simply couldnt take fina for an answer- so I spend every minute with her talking about him, and sharing music\clips\art etc... now she despises him- yay :yay:

:naughty:

my grandma refers to him as the curly haired tall boy... she once looked through Mikagasmics with me, and luckily, there were decent pictures on the page we were checking out (and by decent I mean no WAG closeups :aah:) and said- when you have a boyfriend, I hope he's prettier then him, you deserve nicer... then she left me with a funny face on... how can I possibly react to that? :roftl:

Prettier than Mika? :blink:

Is that possible? :lmfao:

Watched the Abbey Road show last night. We were having a Bonfire Night party so there were a few family members, family friends there. They all seemed to like him. :)

Oh and a few of them were confused by La Roux and my auntie yelled "gaaayy" at her. I've never heard her say that before so I found it funny.

Edited by pinkfakecheez

prettier than Mika?:roftl: That is impossible!:teehee:

agreed:teehee:

My parents: aren't that fond of him, but my mum is fine with his music I think. My dad can't understand my obsession and just recently said he was getting jealous when I said Mika was taller than him:roftl:

My sister: actually likes him, but is getting annoyed by me singing his songs all the time and thinks I'm crazy:teehee:

My grandparents: don't know about him

My aunt: doesn't really know him yet, but I sang something to her and she said she liked it. She's probably accompanying me to the gig in Munich in march. I'll just teach her about him:naughty: I think she might become a fan:biggrin2:

My friends: hardly any of them know I'm a fan but those who do like some of his songs but really aren't crazy about him

sorry it's a bit long:teehee:

Okay okay, the opinions have changed.

My mom: is beginning to not like him, I think.

My dad: constantly goes on and on about my obsession. Doesn't like him.

My brother: thinks he sounds like a cat being dragged across a grater.

My nan: is homophobic.

My dog: barks whenever he hears him. :blink:

My (self-proclaimed) distant sister: likes him, but when we're around people tends to side with them.

Okay okay, the opinions have changed.

My mom: is beginning to not like him, I think.

My dad: constantly goes on and on about my obsession. Doesn't like him.

My brother: thinks he sounds like a cat being dragged across a grater.

My nan: is homophobic.

My dog: barks whenever he hears him. :blink:

My (self-proclaimed) distant sister: likes him, but when we're around people tends to side with them.

Oh I guess my granddad would have some "nice" comments as well if he knew Mika:aah::sneaky2:

Funny dog:teehee:

My mom can put up with him (as long as I don't blast the same song over and over in the car), and she even likes some of the songs.

My dad doesn't care. :emot-sad:

My brother thinks he is overrated, but likes a couple of his songs from TBWKTM.

All of my female friends are in love him, and not just because of his music...

All of my male friends think that I am insane, Mika is gay, but he makes good music!