The best of the decade -- and 2009 - The Salt Lake Tribune

Miro

Mika is at number 6 in the "Top 10 albums of 2009" according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Top 10 albums of 2009

1. "Revolution" » This is not only the best country album of the year but the best of any genre, thanks to the way Miranda Lambert willfully ignores Nashville's slick counrty-pop rules and makes a rootsy album on her own terms that would make Hank Williams Sr. proud. This solid tour de force combines the intensity and hooks of her first two albums, "Kerosene" and "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and, in turn, reveals a real woman rather than a caricature of a country girl. Only 26, the singer's potential is frightening.

2. "It's Not Me, It's You" » Lily Allen's second album showed that the English firebrand had lost none of the snotty, whip-smart attitude that she displayed on her debut, yet it also exhibited a new-found knack for melody and pop smarts.

3. "Farm" » Dinosaur Jr. is not extinct. The best rock album of the year was produced by the band's original lineup, and it offered a raw, melodic slice of grungy guitar rock that sounds like the best of Crazy Horse, thanks to its feedback, bass fuzz and the loud-quiet dynamics.

4. "The Hazards of Love" » The Decemberists created a 17-song, ambitious folk-rock suite about Margaret, her lover William, a forest queen and a "cold-blooded, lascivious rake," and instead of being pretentious, the effort sounded haunting and gorgeous.

5. "Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit" » Jason Isbell, formerly of The Drive By Truckers, once again proved that he has the songwriting smarts to rise to the top of the alt-country heap.

6. "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" » This dance party mix from Mika was the prettiest pop album of the year, created by the most gifted singer since Freddie Mercury ruled Queen.

7. "American Central Dust" » Son Volt showed up nemesis Wilco by producing an Americana album that was bold enough to contain a song about a 19th-century maritime disaster, that also slyly serves as a powerful metaphor for these tough times.

8. "Midnight at the Movies" » Justin Townes Earle is no longer primarily known as the son of Steve Earle. With this elegiac folk album about loneliness and the darkness on the edge of town, the young songwriter proves himself to be his father's son -- and much more.

9. "21st Century Breakdown" » Green Day shows that "American Idiot" wasn't a fluke by releasing a concept album as ambitious and angry as it is tuneful and punchy.

10. "The Blueprint 3" » In a weak year for rap, in which Kanye West and Eminem turned in underwhelming albums, Jay-Z remained the king of the genre, thanks a confidence that has been earned through his music, not just his boasts.

The whole article http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/ci_14065842

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest whalesfood
And...

Classic Rock magazine have named Grace Kelly as the 31st best rock song of the decade. Classic Rock - blimey!

Woo hoo! :thumb_yello:

that's great!!

Thanks for posting this article. I am so upset that they don't play more Mika here in SLC!!?? I must be listening to the wrong station.... And, YES, PLEASE have MIKA come to Utah again! It was a blast and my kiddos are just as excited as I am. Team Mika needs to hold the concert in a better location though! (IMO)

Thanks for posting this article. I am so upset that they don't play more Mika here in SLC!!?? I must be listening to the wrong station.... And, YES, PLEASE have MIKA come to Utah again! It was a blast and my kiddos are just as excited as I am. Team Mika needs to hold the concert in a better location though! (IMO)

Yes yes yes! I'd love for him to come back. I was disappointed when SLC didn't make the first North American Tour for TBWKTM. After a personalized vlog about our gig! And he admitted the entire acoustic tour this summer was inspired by SLC. Hope our luck is better next time. :thumb_yello:

Oh and I totally agree about the Venue! That was kindof a scary part of town he came to! :teehee:

Archived