Who will kill Dr Who?

Soaring Simpson

Who causes the doctor to regenerate?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who causes the doctor to regenerate?

• The 10th Doctor himself
    • The Master (John Simm)
    • The Narrator (Timothy Dalton)
    • Another Time Lord
    • Mrs Saxon
    • Naismith- father or daughter
    • Barack Obama
    • UNIT
    • One of the green spiky aliens
    • A dalek or cyberman
    • Another former enemy
    • Wilf/ Captain Jack/ A former companion
    • Another already known character
    • A character new in End of Time Part 2
    • Weird twist that makes this poll look silly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all know that Doctor David Tennant is going to regenerate into the 11th doctor on New Year's Day (OK- I confess- I've forgotten the new guy's name :teehee:)

But why? In the past, an enemy has killed him? But can we count on that?

The new guy is Matt Smith.:thumb_yello:

I think that The Narrator (who seems to be the head Time Lord) will do it, it seems to be building towards that.

Although Donna is starting to remember stuff now, and it could drive her mad enough to kill him.

Wow - 4 votes and 4 different answers :roftl:

I voted for Mrs Saxon - she has a track record for killing timelords, but the Dr will get lucky and regenerate in time :thumb_yello:

maybe The Master will take over The Doctor, like he has everyone else, and she will think she will try to kill The Master again and get the doctor instead :mf_rosetinted:

Sosi!!!! I haven't watched it yet! OK, I could have, as my hubby obtained it and watched it last night, but I didn't watch it.... My son and I are planning to watch it tonight.

So I'm not gonna vote until I've watched the episode.... or possibly not at all even. I'm usually useless at guessing stuff like this.:naughty:

We all know that Doctor David Tennant is going to regenerate into the 11th doctor on New Year's Day (OK- I confess- I've forgotten the new guy's name :teehee:)

But why? In the past, an enemy has killed him? But can we count on that?

I think this is one of the very few culture figures that has not reach my country.

But as I realise it's a big deal to a great deal of the world, would some kind soul please make me a little summary :wink2: what's the fuzz about?:blush-anim-cl:

I shall miss DT but I thnk Russel T Davies has reached the end of his shelflife - this latest episode was a bit disappointing - too kitchen-sinky and not well-paced. I'm looking forward to next year becasue of Steven Moffat taking over - all his episodes so far have been unusual and more interesting :biggrin2:

I think this is one of the very few culture figures that has not reach my country.

But as I realise it's a big deal to a great deal of the world, would some kind soul please make me a little summary :wink2: what's the fuzz about?:blush-anim-cl:

Time Lord who travels in time and space, usually with one or more companions. The format means that he gets to fight alien threats of various kinds all over the place - sometimes he is on a different planet, sometimes a historical place on earth (eg Pompeii) and sometimes present day Earth. He also gets to meet famous historical figures like Shakespeare and Agatha Christie :biggrin2:

The programme started in the 1960s and was shown at Saturday tea-time - it was totally original then. When the first actor left, he was replaced by another one. Rather than simply find a new actor and say nothing, the script writers invented the idea of regeneration - when The Doctor is close to death,he can regenerate into a "new" body - ie a different actor. It allows for the character to be refreshed - no two doctors are the same - and the new actor gets a chance to make the role his own.

The series was discontinued in the 1980's, when it ran out of steam and looked dated.

Russel T Davies re-worked the series a few years ago, with Christopher Eccleston, who did one series before regenerating into David Tennant. Both were excellent - but DT is generally considered the greatest ever Doctor, and the series has very high ratings. So the next regeneration is a Big Deal. The new guy, Matt Smith, is the youngest Doctor yet, and will be working with Steven Moffat who has written some previous eisodes and is a really good writer.

Time Lord who travels in time and space, usually with one or more companions. The format means that he gets to fight alien threats of various kinds all over the place - sometimes he is on a different planet, sometimes a historical place on earth (eg Pompeii) and sometimes present day Earth. He also gets to meet famous historical figures like Shakespeare and Agatha Christie :biggrin2:

The programme started in the 1960s and was shown at Saturday tea-time - it was totally original then. When the first actor left, he was replaced by another one. Rather than simply find a new actor and say nothing, the script writers invented the idea of regeneration - when The Doctor is close to death,he can regenerate into a "new" body - ie a different actor. It allows for the character to be refreshed - no two doctors are the same - and the new actor gets a chance to make the role his own.

The series was discontinued in the 1980's, when it ran out of steam and looked dated.

Russel T Davies re-worked the series a few years ago, with Christopher Eccleston, who did one series before regenerating into David Tennant. Both were excellent - but DT is generally considered the greatest ever Doctor, and the series has very high ratings. So the next regeneration is a Big Deal. The new guy, Matt Smith, is the youngest Doctor yet, and will be working with Steven Moffat who has written some previous eisodes and is a really good writer.

Nice summary. But what did you mean, kitchen sink-ish? I opted out of watching it tonight like I was planning to and told hubby that I will watch the two together after he "obtains" the next part... Do you mean it has everything but the kitchen sink?

Nice summary. But what did you mean, kitchen sink-ish? I opted out of watching it tonight like I was planning to and told hubby that I will watch the two together after he "obtains" the next part... Do you mean it has everything but the kitchen sink?

Yes - that's exactly what I mean :thumb_yello: he crammed so much plot into one episode. And again, it's the whole universe gone wrong - I always feel that stretches my credulity too much :sneaky2: I didn't enjoy the end of the last series either - for the same reason - he just throws too much in :aah:

I know it's a bit silly in Sci-Fi to say that your credulity has been stretched too far when the whole point is fighting aliens and travelling in time :blush-anim-cl: but I have to say the idea that Obama was "going to announce the end of the recession" like it was his choice to end it really annoyed me. It's not something he could do even if he wanted to - it spoilt the episode for me.:sneaky2:

Yes - that's exactly what I mean :thumb_yello: he crammed so much plot into one episode. And again, it's the whole universe gone wrong - I always feel that stretches my credulity too much :sneaky2: I didn't enjoy the end of the last series either - for the same reason - he just throws too much in :aah:

I know it's a bit silly in Sci-Fi to say that your credulity has been stretched too far when the whole point is fighting aliens and travelling in time :blush-anim-cl: but I have to say the idea that Obama was "going to announce the end of the recession" like it was his choice to end it really annoyed me. It's not something he could do even if he wanted to - it spoilt the episode for me.:sneaky2:

It was too much for me too. But I am blessed since I didn't understand every word that has been said :naughty:. So I consider every episod deliciously mysterious. Oh the benefits of being a non native English speaker :biggrin2:.

It was too much for me too. But I am blessed since I didn't understand every word that has been said :naughty:. So I consider every episod deliciously mysterious. Oh the benefits of being a non native English speaker :biggrin2:.

:roftl: I don't catch everything first time round - I often get more out of an episode the second time I see it :thumb_yello:

Thank you!:thumb_yello:

I too was mystified by "kitchen sinkish" thinking of the kitchen sink dramas of the 70s where everybody spent the whole tv show doing boring everyday things- a slice of life with no real plot. Now I get you Nectar- but don't really agree. I thought it was edge of seatish. Not very Christmassy- but very tense.

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking- agggghhhh! I forgot to put the ood on the list of possibles- I was thinking Wilf was the least likely possibility (American Presidents rarely having the political will to bump off much loved chilren's TV favourites) but I guess the ood are, because I didn't think of them at all

I think the narrator/timelord (he is a timelord, isn't he?:aah:) will kill him, because the Master killing the doctor would be a bit obvious (now I think about it that is, otherwise I would've expected the Master to kill him until the episode itself will be on tv:roftl:). I've never thought of the UNIT option myself, imo that would be weeeird.:aah: Also the Jack option: WTF?! why the hell would Jack kill the doctor if he needs him to not be immortal anymore.:naughty:

Actually in Dr Who confidential, Russell T said that there were only 4 humans left alive- does that mean Jack and Rose are dead (LOTS of rumours suggest they might show up in the final episode)- or just that they're not on earth? Or are they 2 of the 4- Donna and Wilf- who else?

Actually in Dr Who confidential, Russell T said that there were only 4 humans left alive- does that mean Jack and Rose are dead (LOTS of rumours suggest they might show up in the final episode)- or just that they're not on earth? Or are they 2 of the 4- Donna and Wilf- who else?

Is Jack human? I can't remember where he comes from - is he a type of human from the future of a different planet? He's not from a future earth, is he? And is Donna a human? is she still part repressed time lord?

Voted!

New guy.... I'll learn to love him :thumb_yello:

I couldn't decide between The Narrator and The MAster (I know the Master died a while back... but I heard this weird rumor that they were somehow going to pull it off, but i doubt he's the one).

Goodness, how I hate not having BBC America.

:roftl: I don't catch everything first time round - I often get more out of an episode the second time I see it :thumb_yello:

I am glad I am not the only one :naughty:. So the narrator is a Timelord as well? Where did he come from, all of a sudden :blink:?

Jack is not a human being (but he is delicious :naughty:). But what exactly is he, I've forgotten. Something with time also, a timeagent? Something like that. He was also time traveling that first time we saw him, when he ended up with Rose in his arms on the Big Ben.

Archived