REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika @ KB Hallen in Copenhagen, Denmark March 15 2010

Fmbm

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm a bit late, but I figured I'd do a quick report on this gig now that I have some time. :biggrin2:

Copenhagen was freakin' cold. It was nice that there was no real queue to speak of until quite late in the afternoon, because if we'd queued any earlier we would have died. i know some people arrived in the morning - I don't know how you're not half dead!

At first I was wary of the venue. KB Hallen looks a bit like, well, a barn from the outside. Inside, it reminded me of a school gymnasium that doubles as an auditorium. But once Mika came on, my fears were eased - the sound was fantastic. I've been to Mika shows where there's a problem with the sound and the guitar and bass drown out Mika's vocals, and it's horrible. Thankfully it wasn't the case here.

I don't know what it was about this show, but throughout the day and the queueing beforehand, I didn't have that "I'm going to a Mika gig!" feeling, if you know what I mean. So when the intro ended and Rain started, it was as if that feeling suddenly walloped me upside the head. They use a smokey effect for the first verse of Rain, and then the smoke dissipates and suddenly there's Mika in front of you. I've seen him quite a few times, but it's just such a great effect that I couldn't help cheering and fangurling. It's just that moment when you realize that for the next 90 minutes, your mind is about to be blown. :blush-anim-cl:

Mika was on great form vocally. The stage was quite high, probably about 4.5 feet, which is my only gripe; I'd rather not have to look that far up, but that's just a minor detail. He was clearly in great spirits, smiling and even laughing at the audience quite a lot. He also chatted quite a bit, which is always nice. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they wish Mika would STFU with the chit chat and get on with singing. :naughty:

Anyway for anyone who hasn't seen it, this show is visually stunning. The "notebook" screen thing at the back of the stage is super cool, although I must admit that in the front row I hardly paid it any attention. In Stockholm I was further back, and from that vantage point I noticed it a lot more.

I love what Mika's done with Dr. John - he's such a ham, sticking his face in the sack his "coat" comes in, and then his silly dance moves. Does anyone remember the tap routine the astronaut boy did on the piano during PDP? Well, now Mika's taken to doing that himself, along with his "amazing trumpet solo" on top of the piano as well. :roftl:

As you now know he challenged Jimmy to a dance off during Love Today. He was just doing his thing, then it's as though he turned around, spotted Jimmy, and went into attack mode. You could see Jimmy look at Mika, point to his bass and be like "do you want the bass off?" and Mika nodded. It was so freakin' random and so funny to watch, and I think the crowd loved it. I woudln't be surprise if they actually rehearse that and a more, erm, polished version appears later in the tour.

One thing I couldn't believe was how many people fainted during this gig! When we got in the security guards told us not to put our bags on the little shelf bit of the barrier in case they needed to step there. Well apparently they need to quite regularly, because at least three girls around us fainted and had to be fished out by security and taken off to the side. Mika must be like the Beatles in Denmark. :naughty:

His performance of I See You during this gig was just amazing - the best performance of it that I'd ever seen, really. He looks so freakin' beautiful when he's singing it, and such a contrast from the playful ham of Dr. John and SITM. I also love Any Other World out from behind the piano, starting by sitting in the middle of the stage. I'm really appreciating that song more. I didn't really miss it on the acoustic tour or the North American tour, but after this show I realized that it's one of the stronger songs, IMHO.

<Obligatory Mana fangurl gushing> It's almost embarassing the fangurly things that go through my mind while he's doing the slow songs. Things like "you are such a treasure." Or thinking about just how lucky we are to have him. I think I could see him perform a thousand times and still feel blessed to have been born in the right part of history to see this amazingly talented man on stage.</gushing>

After the gig we waited for him to come out. There weren't a ton of people, which is good because he wasn't feeling well and couldn't speak. He was so sweet when I gave him the yearbook - he mouthed the words "thank you very much" and his eyes were shining. I'm sure y'all saw his tweet the day after - that says it all. :blush-anim-cl:

It was a really fantastic gig - definitely in my top five.

Anyhow, not to toot my own horn, but I have a new camera and, IMHO, it takes phenomenal vids. Here are mine from this show. I suggest watching Toy Boy, his little chat before it was hilarious.

VIDEO

So I'm a bit late, but I figured I'd do a quick report on this gig now that I have some time. :biggrin2:

Copenhagen was freakin' cold. It was nice that there was no real queue to speak of until quite late in the afternoon, because if we'd queued any earlier we would have died. i know some people arrived in the morning - I don't know how you're not half dead!

At first I was wary of the venue. KB Hallen looks a bit like, well, a barn from the outside. Inside, it reminded me of a school gymnasium that doubles as an auditorium. But once Mika came on, my fears were eased - the sound was fantastic. I've been to Mika shows where there's a problem with the sound and the guitar and bass drown out Mika's vocals, and it's horrible. Thankfully it wasn't the case here.

I don't know what it was about this show, but throughout the day and the queueing beforehand, I didn't have that "I'm going to a Mika gig!" feeling, if you know what I mean. So when the intro ended and Rain started, it was as if that feeling suddenly walloped me upside the head. They use a smokey effect for the first verse of Rain, and then the smoke dissipates and suddenly there's Mika in front of you. I've seen him quite a few times, but it's just such a great effect that I couldn't help cheering and fangurling. It's just that moment when you realize that for the next 90 minutes, your mind is about to be blown. :blush-anim-cl:

Mika was on great form vocally. The stage was quite high, probably about 4.5 feet, which is my only gripe; I'd rather not have to look that far up, but that's just a minor detail. He was clearly in great spirits, smiling and even laughing at the audience quite a lot. He also chatted quite a bit, which is always nice. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they wish Mika would STFU with the chit chat and get on with singing. :naughty:

Anyway for anyone who hasn't seen it, this show is visually stunning. The "notebook" screen thing at the back of the stage is super cool, although I must admit that in the front row I hardly paid it any attention. In Stockholm I was further back, and from that vantage point I noticed it a lot more.

I love what Mika's done with Dr. John - he's such a ham, sticking his face in the sack his "coat" comes in, and then his silly dance moves. Does anyone remember the tap routine the astronaut boy did on the piano during PDP? Well, now Mika's taken to doing that himself, along with his "amazing trumpet solo" on top of the piano as well. :roftl:

As you now know he challenged Jimmy to a dance off during Love Today. He was just doing his thing, then it's as though he turned around, spotted Jimmy, and went into attack mode. You could see Jimmy look at Mika, point to his bass and be like "do you want the bass off?" and Mika nodded. It was so freakin' random and so funny to watch, and I think the crowd loved it. I woudln't be surprise if they actually rehearse that and a more, erm, polished version appears later in the tour.

One thing I couldn't believe was how many people fainted during this gig! When we got in the security guards told us not to put our bags on the little shelf bit of the barrier in case they needed to step there. Well apparently they need to quite regularly, because at least three girls around us fainted and had to be fished out by security and taken off to the side. Mika must be like the Beatles in Denmark. :naughty:

His performance of I See You during this gig was just amazing - the best performance of it that I'd ever seen, really. He looks so freakin' beautiful when he's singing it, and such a contrast from the playful ham of Dr. John and SITM. I also love Any Other World out from behind the piano, starting by sitting in the middle of the stage. I'm really appreciating that song more. I didn't really miss it on the acoustic tour or the North American tour, but after this show I realized that it's one of the stronger songs, IMHO.

<Obligatory Mana fangurl gushing> It's almost embarassing the fangurly things that go through my mind while he's doing the slow songs. Things like "you are such a treasure." Or thinking about just how lucky we are to have him. I think I could see him perform a thousand times and still feel blessed to have been born in the right part of history to see this amazingly talented man on stage.</gushing>

After the gig we waited for him to come out. There weren't a ton of people, which is good because he wasn't feeling well and couldn't speak. He was so sweet when I gave him the yearbook - he mouthed the words "thank you very much" and his eyes were shining. I'm sure y'all saw his tweet the day after - that says it all. :blush-anim-cl:

It was a really fantastic gig - definitely in my top five.

Anyhow, not to toot my own horn, but I have a new camera and, IMHO, it takes phenomenal vids. Here are mine from this show. I suggest watching Toy Boy, his little chat before it was hilarious.

VIDEO

Great report. Thx a mill :flowers2:

I was pretty surprised too after the gig when i got told that some girls fainted :naughty:

This is a cute short interview vid posted by Hippieibbie while Mika was in Denmark:

sorry i just realized you're not a girl :teehee:

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

why don't u open a thread about the interview girls? :)

Toy Boys fantastic Mana ... and your camera is awesome .... but can Sara please stop with the Ugly Puppet thing ... it's getting boring :blink:

:shocked::roftl:

Actually, when you're at the gig it's kind of amusing. Things sound different on video than they do in the venue, and having actually been at this gig I can assure you her ugly puppet comments were not boring at the time. :teehee:

And for the record, Mika has started calling his puppet a zombie and saying he looks like something from the Addams Family. So I'm thinking he doens't think the puppet is all too pretty himself. :naughty:

And for the record, Mika has started calling his puppet a zombie and saying he looks like something from the Addams Family. So I'm thinking he doens't think the puppet is all too pretty himself. :naughty:

yes, I think it was made to look miserable on purpose...:teehee:..and it works:biggrin2:

:shocked::roftl:

Actually, when you're at the gig it's kind of amusing. Things sound different on video than they do in the venue, and having actually been at this gig I can assure you her ugly puppet comments were not boring at the time. :teehee:

No the puppet is lovely and gorgeous ... and you are all confused ... including Mika :teehee:

Poor puppet will get a complex :lmfao:

• 1 month later...
Ha, ha. That IS funny. :lol:

Except, of course, if it was because they were getting squashed by all the other screaming girls. :sad:

squashed by the other girls? :shocked: As long as it wasnt as much as on Roskilde Festivallen ones when peeps were squashed to death :blink:

Ha, ha. That IS funny. :lol:

Except, of course, if it was because they were getting squashed by all the other screaming girls. :sad:

If so, they should avoid Norway. The Oslo crowd were way more squashy and screamy than the Copenhagen crowd. :naughty:

If so, they should avoid Norway. The Oslo crowd were way more squashy and screamy than the Copenhagen crowd. :naughty:

Yep, Copenhagen was a dream: no pushing, no squashing, etc.. Oslo on the contrary was a nightmare crowd :aah: