a little-known song you would recommend.

racinghorse83

for the record, this isnt another thread where i ask people to list a hundred million band names. i'm not asking anyone to recommend a favourite band or point me to a pop song like katy perry/timbaland.

Seeing as we're all Mika fans I assume you have good taste in music, and so i ask the question, what is your favourite song that ISN'T on the charts, or that we probably WOULDNT have heard? I don't care if its two weeks old or 100 years, if its in english or italian or pig latin, if its screamo or indie or classical, I want to (please) hear the name of that song/s, who it is by, and why you love it. Don't list more than 3 or say 'any song by so-and-so'.

I came up with this idea when I was looking through my ipod and it struck me 'man, i have so much manufacted pop cr*p that i listen to purely because i dont KNOW anything better. I started rebuilding my music collection by buying music mika has recommended in the past, now I'm turning to the Mika fans. I think there is enough of us to create a database of awesome music :biggrin2:

I'll start with two songs i love (look them up on youtube or itunes)

Look Up - Bradley Hathaway

Bradley is barely known but i love this song so much even though hes not the best singer in the world. I love the song because of the creative lyrics and how basic and stripped-down it sounds.

Good Good Feeling - Kingston

I love this song 'cos its so innocent and flirty and aside from mika, its one of the best songs ive ever seen live. I love the music video for it as well.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna list two songs...

Album Sleeves and Eulogies - Luke Juby: I love this song because the lyrics sound sweet, musically it sounds simple, and because I love Luke's voice...

Survive the Rain - Ben Parker: I love this song cause purely cause it sounds awesome (both the album version and the DS version). The first time I heard it was from a vid on Youtube, and Ben was playing this song on a Nintendo DS :kachinga:. Seeing as we're talking about Ben, can I just say he is an awesome musician and he doesn't need a full band playing along with him... though it is nice to have Jimmy, Damon and Kate (Kate's his bandmate in Braxton Hix) with him :wub2:. He's also a really down to earth person and chats to me quite a bit on Twitter :wub2:

Yes, I've taken it upon myself to pimp him wherever I go :biggrin2:

Ben also pimps the occasional artist that he works with... Currently he's working with I Am Arrows, you can download his song Nun from his facebook page... Search for Andy Burrows, and select the one with the I Am Arrows pic as the display pic...

Ben also pimps the occasional artist that he works with... Currently he's working with I Am Arrows, you can download his song Nun from his facebook page... Search for Andy Burrows, and select the one with the I Am Arrows pic as the display pic...

By mistake I was listening to Radio 1 and they played Nun by I Am Arrows !

I was searching for a mp3 but I couldn't find anywhere :shocked:

I think Andy Burrows has been in Razorlight am I right ?

By mistake I was listening to Radio 1 and they played Nun by I Am Arrows !

I was searching for a mp3 but I couldn't find anywhere :shocked:

I think Andy Burrows has been in Razorlight am I right ?

It's def on his Facebook, cause that's where I found the link. Search for Andy Burrows and go to the one with the blue thing as the display pic... Go to the tab that says I Am Arrows, and there's a blue thing that you can click to download it.

I believe he was....

I've got three:biggrin2:

In the Ghetto- Elvis xD

Will you we there (cover) - Boyce Avenue

I dont think many ppl know boyce avenue (well know one in my school! :/). they sang will you be there for haiti and i really like it! its different from the original, by michael jackson <3 (deeper and more 'rocky')...i love it.

Baby - Sliimy :P i know alot of ppl dont like him, but i do... :blink:

It's def on his Facebook, cause that's where I found the link. Search for Andy Burrows and go to the one with the blue thing as the display pic... Go to the tab that says I Am Arrows, and there's a blue thing that you can click to download it.

I believe he was....

Thank you I'm really addicted to the song :wub2:

Wasted Away - Bumblefoot http://www.sendspace.com/file/dox18k :crybaby:

Guitars Suck - Bumblefoot

kinda a song....

Running Wild - Bumblefoot, Frank Ferrer & Talking metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoBDwfCkMsE&feature=related

that man can play guitar

guitar2.gif

Been a fan of him since 95 and STILL havent seen him live... but cant wait... he have promised that we will :fangurl: Still hate myself for i canceled going out for dinner w. him and his wife in :aah::doh:

im starting to :fangurl: again... :aah:

Just looking at iTunes, and considering the music I know I have in my room, I have some ver interesting music! I went from pop to comedy to metal to rap to r&b to pop to rock and back to pop to dance... no matter what weird stuff i listen to, I always go back to pop :wub2: Most of my music lately has been from independent artists.. the most well known independent artist I have in my collection would have to be Hanson :wub2:

I've got three:biggrin2:

In the Ghetto- Elvis xD

Will you we there (cover) - Boyce Avenue

I dont think many ppl know boyce avenue (well know one in my school! :/). they sang will you be there for haiti and i really like it! its different from the original, by michael jackson <3 (deeper and more 'rocky')...i love it.

Baby - Sliimy :P i know alot of ppl dont like him, but i do... :blink:

I love In The Ghetto... it's awesome!

Hmmmmm... Boyce Avenue are interesting!

Maybe I'm the only one to see it, but to me Sliimy looks a little bit like a younger version of Mika... :wub2:

Thank you I'm really addicted to the song :wub2:

I love it too!

Wasted Away - Bumblefoot http://www.sendspace.com/file/dox18k :crybaby:

Guitars Suck - Bumblefoot

kinda a song....

Running Wild - Bumblefoot, Frank Ferrer & Talking metal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoBDwfCkMsE&feature=related

that man can play guitar

guitar2.gif

Been a fan of him since 95 and STILL havent seen him live... but cant wait... he have promised that we will :fangurl: Still hate myself for i canceled going out for dinner w. him and his wife in :aah::doh:

im starting to :fangurl: again... :aah:

Why'd you do that for???

I will eventually see Ben in concert... obviously I'll have to travel to England for that to happen, but I will see him in concert! :fangurl:

Just looking at iTunes, and considering the music I know I have in my room, I have some ver interesting music! I went from pop to comedy to metal to rap to r&b to pop to rock and back to pop to dance... no matter what weird stuff i listen to, I always go back to pop :wub2: Most of my music lately has been from independent artists.. the most well known independent artist I have in my collection would have to be Hanson :wub2:

I love In The Ghetto... it's awesome!

Hmmmmm... Boyce Avenue are interesting!

Maybe I'm the only one to see it, but to me Sliimy looks a little bit like a younger version of Mika... :wub2:

I love it too!

ya loads of ppl say he looks like mika, but i dont think he does. its just his curly hair...

but if mika and prince were to have kids (together) then their kid may turn out to look something like sliimy :aah:

oh n i know you said only 3 but i got 1 more...

purple rain- prince http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFazV1Bj1I&playnext_from=TL&videos=TPDRLNIei-s

so addicting...

Why'd you do that for???

I will eventually see Ben in concert... obviously I'll have to travel to England for that to happen, but I will see him in concert! :fangurl:

cancel the dinner? cos i wasnt around... i was going to the Uk for the winter to see him fam. but i had to cancel that and he told me after that he and his wife would have taken me out for dinner, he would have showed me his studio and more. But he have promised that we will meet definitely meet up the next time he will come to Denmark or me to NJ. Donno how many times ive asked him since he said that if he still wanna or have changed his mine... i even asked him a few days after he sended me a xmas card :doh:

I should have been in sweden to see him live (with guns n roses) but said no cos there were a 99,9% chance that they would play here in Denmark in mid. June... but that 0,1% was enough to they wont... place was booked and they were about to find out a tix. price for it :crybaby: I was very very very happy... the thought of finally get to see him live and meet him... i KNOW i will look like a boiled lobster when i will meet him. He knows what i think about him :wub2:

Its cos of him some peeps calls me "Bunny Boiler" :fangurl:

Billede0289.jpg

Billede0288.jpg

Billede0287.jpg

Billede0290.jpg

Billede0292.jpg

Billede0291.jpg

i am NOTfangurling atm. nope... not at all..... :swoon: I miss those days....

ya loads of ppl say he looks like mika, but i dont think he does. its just his curly hair...

but if mika and prince were to have kids (together) then their kid may turn out to look something like sliimy

oh n i know you said only 3 but i got 1 more...

purple rain- prince http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFazV1Bj1I&playnext_from=TL&videos=TPDRLNIei-s

so addicting...

Def the hair, but also around his eyes and his jawline... I guess it's just me that thinks that :teehee:

cancel the dinner? cos i wasnt around... i was going to the Uk for the winter to see him fam. but i had to cancel that and he told me after that he and his wife would have taken me out for dinner, he would have showed me his studio and more. But he have promised that we will meet definitely meet up the next time he will come to Denmark or me to NJ. Donno how many times ive asked him since he said that if he still wanna or have changed his mine... i even asked him a few days after he sended me a xmas card :doh:

I should have been in sweden to see him live (with guns n roses) but said no cos there were a 99,9% chance that they would play here in Denmark in mid. June... but that 0,1% was enough to they wont... place was booked and they were about to find out a tix. price for it :crybaby: I was very very very happy... the thought of finally get to see him live and meet him... i KNOW i will look like a boiled lobster when i will meet him. He knows what i think about him :wub2:

Its cos of him some peeps calls me "Bunny Boiler" :fangurl:

Billede0289.jpg

Billede0288.jpg

Billede0287.jpg

Billede0290.jpg

Billede0292.jpg

Billede0291.jpg

i am NOTfangurling atm. nope... not at all..... :swoon: I miss those days....

Awwwwwwwwww!

Def the hair, but also around his eyes and his jawline... I guess it's just me that thinks that :teehee:

Awwwwwwwwww!

Bfoot has a VERY big heart of gold... one of the piccies he have signed is one that nobody else has... same with some tracks he have givin me cos he trusts that i wont give em to any other person and he can trust me. Have givin me an album as a "thank you" and "merry xmas" gift before it was released and i was fangurling A LOT when i spoke to him the first time on the phone.. think the 2nd time too... and also... quite a lot... when he called me his nr. 1 biggest fan LIVE on a big radio station in the states :swoon:

But theres 1 bad side effect cos of all the chatting ive done w. him and the way he is to me...

Bfoot has a VERY big heart of gold... one of the piccies he have signed is one that nobody else has... same with some tracks he have givin me cos he trusts that i wont give em to any other person and he can trust me. Have givin me an album as a "thank you" and "merry xmas" gift before it was released and i was fangurling A LOT when i spoke to him the first time on the phone.. think the 2nd time too... and also... quite a lot... when he called me his nr. 1 biggest fan LIVE on a big radio station in the states :swoon:

But theres 1 bad side effect cos of all the chatting ive done w. him and the way he is to me...

Awwww, how sweet!

What's the bad side effect?

Awwww, how sweet!

What's the bad side effect?

a lot of peeps are useing me for info about guns n roses.. but thats also cos ive worked on a side as a mod. where we got inside info... peeps just dont get that im not allowed to tell em anything!

reminds me of "i keep on tryyyyyyyyying" :pbjt:

I'm afraid I'm quite conventional really. Before Mika came along, my favourite song was The Sound Of Silence, written and sung by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

Another song I've loved for many years is a song by REM that is very much like a Mika song. It's a bit like Love Today, and it's called Shiny Happy People.

A little-known song I'd recommend would be...

by Ben's Brother. (Ben's brother, Jamie, is the one at the front with the hat.)

They're amazing live and I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Jackson Browne, Newton Faulkner, James Morrison or The Eagles. Also, Jamie writes for/with a lot of other bands - Natalie Imbruglia, Jack McManus, general pop stuff.

Also, I absolutely LOOOOVE Nerina Pallot's track "It Starts", from her third album The Graduate... I so want her piano!

There's a link to that acoustic in my signature. :)

1. Prick - Animal -

TBH I have no idea whether this song was popular or not... I only know it from a movie and it's the only song I know by him but I love it.

2. Will and the people (well duh....) - The game -

Didn't know what song to pick, one of the upbeat happy ones or one of the slower ones... I went for this slow/fragile one because that's the song that turned me into a fan when hearing it live :wub2:

3. Andreas Johnson - Seven days -

Again, hard to pick one, but I went for this one where you clearly hear his voice. That's the main reason I like his music. (And yes, he's the singer from the song 'glorious', that was a huge hit if you remember http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcynap_andreas-johnson-glorious_music)

aww love the thread :aah: okay... there are many "not-well-known" artists that I like... but I will try to choose only three :teehee: there would be.. (..is four still okay? sorry :/)

"On the radio" - Regina Spektor (..love that song! I think some of you may know her too)

"Ordinary Day" - Emilie Mover (great songs! another good one is "Best I Know")

"The Dog Song" - Nellie McKay (great artist, also good: "David")

..and a fourth one (sorry :teehee: )

"Stay Over" - The Rescues (great band, very spheric: "My Heart With You")

Don't know if any of these songs were ever on charts I don't listen radio very often. I found some great artists in series (like grey's anatomy)! :original: x

A little-known song I'd recommend would be...
by Ben's Brother. (Ben's brother, Jamie, is the one at the front with the hat.)

They're amazing live and I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Jackson Browne, Newton Faulkner, James Morrison or The Eagles. Also, Jamie writes for/with a lot of other bands - Natalie Imbruglia, Jack McManus, general pop stuff.

Also, I absolutely LOOOOVE Nerina Pallot's track "It Starts", from her third album The Graduate... I so want her piano!

There's a link to that acoustic in my signature. :)

"It starts" is great! I like it :thumb_yello:

1. Prick - Animal -

TBH I have no idea whether this song was popular or not... I only know it from a movie and it's the only song I know by him but I love it.

2. Will and the people (well duh....) - The game -

Didn't know what song to pick, one of the upbeat happy ones or one of the slower ones... I went for this slow/fragile one because that's the song that turned me into a fan when hearing it live :wub2:

3. Andreas Johnson - Seven days -

Again, hard to pick one, but I went for this one where you clearly hear his voice. That's the main reason I like his music. (And yes, he's the singer from the song 'glorious', that was a huge hit if you remember http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcynap_andreas-johnson-glorious_music)

I like the second and the third! :biggrin2:

..good idea opening such a thread btw :original:

cool thread! i have three :teehee:

Dancing in the moonlight ~ toploader. I dunno why. i just knew it when i was a kid and loved it ever since.

KT Tunstall ~ Someday soon. i love the echoing feel to it.

and

Kit Holmes ~ water is wide-crooked horn. it is two songs in one basically. but repeats. it has no words. and it is just acoustic guitar.She is a local singer. and is amazing live. Check her out on youtube or someting!

cool thread! i have three :teehee:

Dancing in the moonlight ~ toploader. I dunno why. i just knew it when i was a kid and loved it ever since.

KT Tunstall ~ Someday soon. i love the echoing feel to it.

and

Kit Holmes ~ water is wide-crooked horn. it is two songs in one basically. but repeats. it has no words. and it is just acoustic guitar.She is a local singer. and is amazing live. Check her out on youtube or someting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPkAnpT3hcI here she is

"It starts" is great! I like it :thumb_yello:

Yay!!! I generally feel she's underated, and it's always such a shame when that happens to great bands.

I also love Someday Soon by KT, more than most of that album, and anything by Regina Spektor - yes, it's quite well known, but she's also an underated artist :(

Archived