Very lovely and kind review of Mika's performing.

Lena

Right now the oldest one is going to study in the U.K. and on the news they still refer to him as the "Infante", even though he is 15...:thumb_yello:

How will they refer to him when his father dies? Does his "title" change even though the monarchy is defunct?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How will they refer to him when his father dies? Does his "title" change even though the monarchy is defunct?

While the Monarchic Party supports them i suppose the title "Infant" will change to Dom Afonso, Duque of Bragança, as he'll inherit it from his father, Dom Duarte de Bragança...

Thank you for finding and posting the article, Lena :flowers2: , Bab for the great translation and Mikatuned for correcting the mistakes in Bab's translation, which she only made so that it is not so obvious for us that she really is a spy :bond: (:mf_rosetinted:)

I love how the reviewer focuses on the potential that is in Mika, like being heir to the to the pop crown, whoever is supposed to have it now.

It is sweet to read how Mika is described as a great piano player (:teehee:) - though they might simply mean the lovely melodies he is palying with his right hand.:wub2:

"Mika’s play is sharp and aggressive, like hammering nails, however it’s rhythmically precise and has some vocal improvisations." - so true:thumb_yello:

Since the translation is coming through as Infante, I'm guessing it means "prince".

Yes it does mean prince or more correctly, the heir to the throne. The review was great and the man who wrote it is not afraid to admit how wrong he was. I love the way he states that Mika is worthy to carry the banners of the great predicessors!

Mika’s play is sharp and aggressive, like hammering nails, however it’s rhythmically precise and has some vocal improvisations.

I happen to love his way of handling his piano with so much confidence and good humour! With no respect for the traditional way to do it!:wub2::naughty:

his brilliant drummer Cherisse Osei who former worked with The Faders.

Cherisse...she is the best, thank god he has kept her through all this years, it wouldn't be same without her!:wub2:

Thank you Mikatuned for the translation!:thumb_yello:

Thank you Lena for posting, Bab for the translation :teehee: , Mikatuned for correcting translation, Christine for asking about the royal family & Wonka for explaining all those info..I was curious too.. amusing and educational thread! :biggrin2:

Nice article, a lot of truth.. and like how the writer isn't afraid to admit wrong. I agree with the fact that even if you don't like Mika's music.. watching his show is something else one should experience. :thumb_yello: Thanks again everyone!

tried to correct the translation, here it is:

Mika. His Royal Highness.

Frankly, I had some prejudice to Mika performance listed as a headliner of the first day at Exit-2010 festival. In fact, something is needed to catch the attention of sixteen years old girls who'd been occupying first rows in front of stage since 6 in the evening. Handsome young man with highly pitched voice was the best option for that.

The skepticism increased when Mika was late – usually all bands come up in time at Exit: even five minute delay considered to be something abnormal. And Mika was 15 minutes late; technicians were busy working on stage checking guitars’ sound or swapping microphones. However eventually the ligt was on and Mika showed up with the first sounds of "Relax, Take It Easy".

Though ‘showed up’ is a wrong word. Burst in that’s what Mika has done. Running and jumping around he even seemed to manage to freeze in the air demonstrating amazing ballet choreography and never losing his breath. And from the very first minutes, no, even seconds doubts in Mika's credibility as a very significant artist of popular music disappear. His commitment to work amazes that’s what is called ‘straining every nerve’. And the only question arise: How long will the guy hang on (survive? hold out?)? How long will he be able to sing like that, jump like that, dance? Will he make it to the end or go off halfway?

But that’s not what Mika is going to do, he only boosts it up. Taking his Prince Albert coat off he goes to the piano and shows excellent singing skills. Such a strong and fast right hand haven’t been seen in pop music since Elton John (don’t know what’s about his right hand… guess the guy wants to say that he was a strong pianist). Mika’s play is sharp and aggressive, like hammering nails, however it’s rhythmically precise and has some vocal improvisations. Inevitably another association comes to my mind – such a furious pace and brutal choreography were one Freddie Mercury’s shows in ‘70th. A good successor is growing up… Still, lets don't forget that the lad doesn't hide his admiration for Freddie, and even used in his studio work a piano once owned by a singer and keyboardist of Queen.

And the show keeps getting bigger – with is shirt off Mika obviously starts flirting with his backing vocal girl paying attention to the audience as well: "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" was sang along by thousand of people in the audience. Meanwhile, the artist keeps his voice leading main voice part with confidence periodically switching to bright and sharp falsetto. Moreover, vocal arrangements also deserve a special praise – apart from backing vocal girl, all other band members sing along with Mika - his guitarist and keyboardist, his bass player and even his brilliant drummer Cherisse Osei who former worked with The Faders.

Mika’s set list is made up very thoughtfully, interchanging old hits like "Happy Ending" and "Love Today" with new songs like "Rain". Moreover, special video images are displayed on a giant backdrop and Mika is trying o communicate with it either repeating movements of some cartoon character or stands up in the epicenter of cartoonified explosion. And all the show goes almost without any pauses, in one breath. Back in the mid ‘80th Michael Jackson – another deceased to mention when it’s getting dark! (not sure if it’s correct … word by word he writes 'when it's nearly night!') – worked like this: in one breath, precise, accurate, sharp and in team. By the way Mika drops a curtsey for him as well doing his famous 'moonwalk' several times during the show.

I must confess that my skepticism was shamefully disgraced. No doubt he’s a real pop star with an excellent knowledge of pop culture history who treats his great predecessors with respect and inherits the helm with dignity. And even if you think Mika is not ‘your’ music trust me, seeing his show at least once is definitely worth it. This is very praiseworthy.

Bravo, Your Highness! Pop throne has finally found its Infante/Prince.

Mika

Arena Moscow

July 28

http://www.zvuki.ru/R/P/23192/

Edit: made some corrections . thanks to Christine and Willywonka for their explanations )))

I have to thank this reviewer for the lovely report about Mika show at Exit:thumb_yello: And to Anastasia as well:wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

I found this in one of Singapore's teenage Magazines. and I was hopping up and down with joy when i saw this. for those who can't read the words, here they are:

Quirky, strange, enigmatic- these are just a few, albeit common ways to describe MIKA, the flamboyant Lebanese born singer who has take the music world with upbeat yet socially-conscious songs like Grace Kelly and Big Girl You're Beautiful. In real life however, MIKA is anything but.

Sure, he may seem delightfully awkward posing infront of the camera, what with his long limbs threatening to fall out of the frame; but behind that overgrown schoolboy facade is simply a smart cookie who is determined to make the kind of music he himself would want to listen to.

Frequently shuffling his Brogues-clad feet restlessly and running his fingers through his famous locks during the interview, MIKA may seem like the reluctant rock star who cannot wait to escape the incessant media grilling, when in fact, he's simply, deep in thought.

With answers that swing from the self- deprecatory ("i spent 9 years learning mandarin and failed miserably. All i know is "This is my friend, or this is Mr Wong."0 to the thoughtful " I make quirky pop music which i'm fully aware of. i'm lucky i get to play in so many countries", you get the sense that the 26 year old revels in playing up the contrast between being an eccentric artiste to a savvy musician. In fact, he has fashioned his show, happenning the same night(140610), after a mexican festival for the dead.

'Oh God", he exclaims dramatically, when asked to decribe his show. " Its a bit of a macabre carnival that we bring from one place to another. At the root of my music is darkness, which balances out the sweet, sacharine, melodies. Its fun but twisted, and to me, thats the best kind of fun!"

TEENAGE AUG 2010

post-18550-142983687838_thumb.jpg

Archived