American Football

toy_girl_mika96

I am a sports lover, watching.. not playing.. :naughty:

and since tonight is the first College football game of the year

(University of South Carolina vs. Southern Mississippi) I thought I'd start a thread for football lovers like Me to talk about it!

Personally, I like Clemson University Tigers... :yay:

so.. start chatting!

You don't have to be American! :wink2:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*too lazy to find pic*

I have a U of M sweatshirt, it is comfortable. And I wore it when I went to their game last year. Yay!

I have no idea what to say, like i said before.. Football is aight.

I like Michigan's colors, Blue and Yellow.. I think they're pretty together. :lmfao:

Unlike University of South Carolina.. Garnet and Black.. Burgendy and Black.. whatever it is. :mf_rosetinted:

which is why I go for Clemson :yay:

I think Clemson will do bad this year though, but the way this game looks now, Carolina won't be much better.. :naughty:

I've tried teaching myself the rules of football, but have failed.

I only know that a touchdown is 7 points.

(I was talking about sports with a coworker one day. He told me that when the pall goes through those post thingies it's 3 points?)

Yep! :biggrin2:

the goal post.. :naughty: also after a touchdown you can either try for a 3-point coversion or a field goal(1 point) but you can try to kick it through the goal post if you failed to get a down, and then you kick it off to the other team, I love football, I like all the competition :naughty: I'm playing powderpuff football at my school this year it's only one game, but it's girls only and it's HILARIOUS! :lmfao:

WTF is a conversion or field goal? :roftl:

:lol3:

a conversion, I can't remember all of it, but you stand a certain amount of yards from the end zone and just like a normal play you get a chance to get the ball in the endzone for 3 points. :naughty:

a field goal is when the punter/kicker kicks the ball in the goal post as an attempt to get an extra point, a touchdown is actually 6 points, but with a field goal it's 7 :biggrin2:

field goals are almost impossible to miss, but when I say almost I mean almost, a guy from my city missed one a few years ago in a big rivalry game, he had to leave school because he got bullied for missing it. :huh:

:shocked: i love football!!! :naughty:

i prefer watching college/university football over professional teams.

my son has been playing football since he is 11/12 & i haven't missed a game.

they won the championship last year.

his season started last weekend and they won 47-23 :biggrin2:

gooooooooooo Raiders!!! :roftl:

University of Missouri, all the way! MIZ-ZOU!

:yay:

Glad to see more people :biggrin2:

:shocked: i love football!!! :naughty:

i prefer watching college/university football over professional teams.

my son has been playing football since he is 11/12 & i haven't missed a game.

they won the championship last year.

his season started last weekend and they won 47-23 :biggrin2:

gooooooooooo Raiders!!! :roftl:

So he plays for College? that's awesome! :biggrin2:

I prefer college also, but If I'm watching professional I of course pull for the Carolina Panthers! :yay:

Congratulations for his Win! My High School is undefeated so far! :kachinga:

and so is the college I pull for *cough* they haven't played their first game yet.. :mf_rosetinted:

We play Northern Texas tomorrow, we are gonna totally beat them.. :glasses3:

:yay:

Glad to see more people :biggrin2:

So he plays for College? that's awesome! :biggrin2:

I prefer college also, but If I'm watching professional I of course pull for the Carolina Panthers! :yay:

Congratulations for his Win! My High School is undefeated so far! :kachinga:

and so is the college I pull for *cough* they haven't played their first game yet.. :mf_rosetinted:

We play Northern Texas tomorrow, we are gonna totally beat them.. :glasses3:

he doesn't play for his college, but for our city.

http://www.chateauguayjrraiders.ca

he's #51 :wub2:

i dont understand why its called 'football' when the ball hardly ever get kicked. ??? (i know alot of other british peeps who dont understand that either :blink:)

i think (your) soccer should be called football (because the ball has to be kicked) and american football should be called soccer.

does soccer have a meaning?

it might seem like im being silly but its really been bugging me. :sneaky2:

would someone like to explain?

:biggrin2:

i dont understand why its called 'football' when the ball hardly ever get kicked. ??? (i know alot of other british peeps who dont understand that either :blink:)

i think (your) soccer should be called football (because the ball has to be kicked) and american football should be called soccer.

:roftl::roftl:

thats kinda true!!!

From wikipedia:teehee:

The history of American football can be traced to early versions of rugby football and association football. Both games have their origins in varieties of football played in the United Kingdom in the mid-19th century, in which a ball is kicked at a goal and/or run over a line. Many games known as "football" were being played at colleges and universities in the United States in the first half of the 19th century.

American football resulted from several major divergences from rugby football, most notably the rule changes instituted by Walter Camp, considered the "Father of American Football". Among these important changes were the introduction of the line of scrimmage and of down-and-distance rules. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, game play developments by college coaches such as Eddie Cochems, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Knute Rockne, and Glenn "Pop" Warner helped take advantage of the newly introduced forward pass.

:naughty:

although it may not help you any... here is the explanation:

Why do Americans call it football when most of the time players use their hands?

In: Football - American

Answer:

The origins of American football are linked to rugby, also called football, where the hands are used more often than the feet in terms of controlling possession of a game ball, and in turn stems from association football ("soccer"), from which all such games are variations of.

Hmm..

I've always thought soccer was because of Socks on your feet?? :roftl:

I dunno, I didn't come up with the name.. :mf_rosetinted:

I actually used to think that to myself though.. :wink2:

That's a muscular team!! :aah:

we were AAAA state champions in 2006! :biggrin2:

I don't think we'll get that for awhile though.. we almost lost to a AA school .. :thumbdown:

his team is AAA, although i'm not sure if it means the same thing here as it does in the USA. i don't think we have AAAA :dunno:

his team is AAA, although i'm not sure if it means the same thing here as it does in the USA. i don't think we have AAAA :dunno:

Maybe ours is AAA, I'm not sure.. :aah:

Isn't the only difference in Canadian and American football the measurements on the field? isn't it that you guys use metric and we use yards (I think that's standard??)

but, there are AAAA schools, actually some AAAAA in cities like Dallas and Atlanta.. etc. My High school is quite big for a small city though, we played the number 3 team in the Nation a couple of years ago, we lost of course though. :naughty:

Maybe ours is AAA, I'm not sure.. :aah:

Isn't the only difference in Canadian and American football the measurements on the field? isn't it that you guys use metric and we use yards (I think that's standard??)

but, there are AAAA schools, actually some AAAAA in cities like Dallas and Atlanta.. etc. My High school is quite big for a small city though, we played the number 3 team in the Nation a couple of years ago, we lost of course though. :naughty:

our field is 110 yards long by 65 yards wide

yours is 120.0 by 53.3 yards

the other difference is that you play with 4 downs and we play with 3 :blush-anim-cl:

our field is 110 yards long by 65 yards wide

yours is 120.0 by 53.3 yards

the other difference is that you play with 4 downs and we play with 3 :blush-anim-cl:

Okay :naughty:

I thought it had to do with the measuring systems :doh:

Ahhh, if Clemson played with 3 downs, they wouldn't last very long on offense. :lmfao: they always tend to get it past on the 4th. :naughty:

Except when we had James Davis, who you've probably never heard of :mf_rosetinted: but he was the star running back for our team, him, C.J Spiller and Jacoby Ford (the fastest runner in the US) we had a great team when we have them, but I'm scared for this year, we've lost all our good players and our quarterback.. is a baseball player so it sort of interferes.. :huh:

OMG! I found a Michiganian on MFC! :shocked: (I could care less about U of M/State rivalary, its just that my sister goes to U of M :aah: )

I spent a few years at State, before that I never cared about either team/school. State is better at basketball, I actually prefer basketball anyway. I only watch the football games if there is nothing else to watch though I do try to watch when the two teams play against each other. I don't even like or understand football :teehee:

Archived