Highly Sensitive People -HSP- Here!!

Luminara

Ok, that one I can dispute from first hand experience. When we were in the pub twitter party that he organised last year, he didn't look scared at all. He was loving the attention, and even came to the middle of the improvised dancefloor and danced like mad :naughty:.

He's definitely not the social misfit that people sometimes seem to like to portray him as :biggrin2:.

I concur as I was also at this party.

He does like to give false impressions for some reason.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just did the test :naughty:

I loved the bit about the "scores"

If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive. But no psychological test is so accurate that an individual should base his or her life on it. We psychologists try to develop good questions, then decide on the cut off based on the average response.

If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.

:lmfao: I love this scientific approach

If you scored 14 or more you are highly sensitive

If you scored less, you might still be highly sensitive :floor:

I just did the test :naughty:

I loved the bit about the "scores"

If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive. But no psychological test is so accurate that an individual should base his or her life on it. We psychologists try to develop good questions, then decide on the cut off based on the average response.

If fewer questions are true of you, but extremely true, that might also justify calling you highly sensitive.

:lmfao:

:mf_rosetinted: I am of course highly sensitive

Oh!

Forget about sensitive: This is highly scientific! :roftl:

I concur as I was also at this party.

He does like to give false impressions for some reason.

He does, but I also think that the thing about not liking being in crowds is true. Most celebrities say they are actually shy, but they kinda get a mask when they are with fans :thumb_yello:

:lmfao: I love this scientific approach

If you scored 14 or more you are highly sensitive

If you scored less, you might still be highly sensitive :floor:

I didn't read that :aah: In the Spanish version they didn't say that :roftl: And when I did the English one was too lazy to read it all :aah:

He does, but I also think that the thing about not liking being in crowds is true. Most celebrities say they are actually shy, but they kinda get a mask when they are with fans :thumb_yello:

I didn't read that :aah: In the Spanish version they didn't say that :roftl: And when I did the English one was too lazy to read it all :aah:

Not just celebs, in many walks of life people may be shy but have to mask it for the sake of their job. :thumb_yello:

I know we are all mocking this, as it does seem to be based on dubious science, but to be fair there are people who are extra sensitive to their environment. In days of old we would have called them just "nervy" or "highly strung".

I know we are all mocking this, as it does seem to be based on dubious science, but to be fair there are people who are extra sensitive to their environment. In days of old we would have called them just "nervy" or "highly strung".

Yes we would. And given them a bottle of Sanatogen tonic wine. :naughty::naughty:

Believe me, he was not in "fan mode" that night :naughty:. There were very few fans, and the rest of the crowd were just regular people, and his family and friends and some band members....He's just probably not as shy (or shy at all) as people want him to be.

The crowds thing can be interpreted in many different ways too. If asked, most people would express a certain discomfort about being in the thick of a massive crowd, or squashed in a packed train, etc..., but this doesn't make them phobic in any way :dunno:

Since we're talking psychological things though, I will say that I find it fascinating how so many people seem to love seeing Mika as some creature who is incapable of normal social interaction. I don't get it at all. He's more capable of being in normal social situations than many "regular" people are, and he's brilliant at it.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I think that this HSP thing must be like the horoscope: you read it, and then you just interpret it in whichever way you want it to be :lmfao:

Believe me, he was not in "fan mode" that night :naughty:. There were very few fans, and the rest of the crowd were just regular people, and his family and friends and some band members....He's just probably not as shy (or shy at all) as people want him to be.

There were also a fair few people there that had no idea who he was or why the drinks were free. :naughty:

There were also a fair few people there that had no idea who he was or why the drinks were free. :naughty:

Yep. But that was part of my point: that he wasn't in "fan mode" that night, he was just doing his thing in a regular environment, so he wasn't putting on a "celebrity mask" or anything of the sort.

Not just celebs, in many walks of life people may be shy but have to mask it for the sake of their job. :thumb_yello:

I know, but it's like more "extreme" in celebs, don't listen to me :mf_rosetinted::aah:

The crowds thing can be interpreted in many different ways too. If asked, most people would express a certain discomfort about being in the thick of a massive crowd, or squashed in a packed train, etc..., but this doesn't make them phobic in any way :dunno:

Since we're talking psychological things though, I will say that I find it fascinating how so many people seem to love seeing Mika as some creature who is incapable of normal social interaction. I don't get it at all. He's more capable of being in normal social situations than many "regular" people are, and he's brilliant at it.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I think that this HSP thing must be like the horoscope: you read it, and then you just interpret it in whichever way you want it to be :lmfao:

I think that's something that he himself creates and I think he likes it. As you've said, yeah, it is kinda hard to imagine he's really so uncorfortable watching him in situations like that, but still I kinda trust him.

Anything is like horoscope or very real, that depends on who you look at it and how much "recognition" it has I think :thumb_yello:

Me doesn't like that people :wags_finger:

I may be jumping the gun here, or missing some vital info, but may I ask how we know that Mika is one of these?

Also, is this some sort of "officially accepted" psychological or personality classification?

I don't recall Mika calling himself high sensitive either?

If you're asking if it's in the DSM-IV, no it isn't. Not yet anyways. It's something you hear more and more about though. Some of the symptoms remind a lot of asperger syndrome. It's confusing :dunno:

Yup! I'm having the same situation :pinkbow: Luckily I'm changing work/education so I don't have to fake/act to be super social anymore :teehee:

I would definitely call myself high sensitive, but I just see it as a trait, not as a personality disorder. No I can't stand too much noise or light if it isn't 'normal' (if you know what I mean), no I can't stand being in a huge crowd (front row or last row is the only way to go at a concert or event, ready to make a quick escape :teehee:), yes I need a lot of me/personal time... I dunno, it's just a part of me and I just learn to deal with it :dunno:

Anyways, like Silver said, let's not turn this thread into a mockery:thumb_yello:

I think that's something that he himself creates and I think he likes it. As you've said, yeah, it is kinda hard to imagine he's really so uncorfortable watching him in situations like that, but still I kinda trust him.

Anything is like horoscope or very real, that depends on who you look at it and how much "recognition" it has I think :thumb_yello:

Oh, for sure, he's definitely a little liar who loves to make confusing statements :lmfao: Like he said, he makes up his own version of "reality" and he prefers it to the "real" reality :naughty:.

I don't recall Mika calling himself high sensitive either?

If you're asking if it's in the DSM-IV, no it isn't. Not yet anyways. It's something you hear more and more about though. Some of the symptoms remind a lot of asperger syndrome. It's confusing :dunno:

Yup! I'm having the same situation :pinkbow: Luckily I'm changing work/education so I don't have to fake/act to be super social anymore :teehee:

I would definitely call myself high sensitive, but I just see it as a trait, not as a personality disorder. No I can't stand too much noise or light if it isn't 'normal' (if you know what I mean), no I can't stand being in a huge crowd (front row or last row is the only way to go at a concert or event, ready to make a quick escape :teehee:), yes I need a lot of me/personal time... I dunno, it's just a part of me and I just learn to deal with it :dunno:

I know what you mean. There are many traits that could be potentially considered disorders, but they aren't, because this is not something that disables the person in their social encounters. There are different levels of sensitivity to many things, and not all those are disorders or personality types......

Personally, I would only class people as some sort of group like this, if their "sensitivity level" was so high, that they were unable to function in certain areas of life. Then again, as you said, this could also technically fall under things like Aspergers, etc... :dunno:

I know what you mean. There are many traits that could be potentially considered disorders, but they aren't, because this is not something that disables the person in their social encounters. There are different levels of sensitivity to many things, and not all those are disorders or personality types......

Personally, I would only class people as some sort of group like this, if their "sensitivity level" was so high, that they were unable to function in certain areas of life. Then again, as you said, this could also technically fall under things like Aspergers, etc... :dunno:

Yes we discussed something like this in counselling once. Is being shy a disorder or are some people just naturally like it? i remember once this girl in my childcare class claimed she was dyslexic when she wasn't. I'm very aware that dyslexia exists, but then again there are some people that just can't spell for sh*t and use "dyslexia" as an excuse. :blink:

First I have to say that I created this thread to share our feelings because as sensitive people we tend to suffer more than others and need to share it. I didn't want to offend anyone or anything.

By the way, if you believe so hard that Mika is not a sensitive person I will erase it from the first post. Anyways, I'll tell you why I said so: In at least two articles about Mika they said he is a very sensitive person. He is really close to arts, he used to be shy when he was younger, he is really sensitive with smells -he has his own collection of them-, enjoys things other people would find boring, loves to look how other people feel and behave -he told so in interviews-...

Being a sensitive person doesn't mean you are shy! If you meet me anywhere you probably won't think I'm shy -I love to speak a lot with one person, in fact-, you may think I love to listen to the others. I love attention too. I only hate big crowds of people if I feel alone, if I don't know anyone or think the other people hate me.

Anyways, there's different levels of sensitivity and, as I read, it's not a disorder because at least 20% of the population has it. :dunno:

Ok, that one I can dispute from first hand experience. When we were in the pub twitter party that he organised last year, he didn't look scared at all. He was loving the attention, and even came to the middle of the improvised dancefloor and danced like mad :naughty:.

He's definitely not the social misfit that people sometimes seem to like to portray him as :biggrin2:.

I would have lots of fun if loads of people were there just because of me, because they appreciate me :original:

I agree with you in the fact that Mika is not shy at all.

The HSP thing as you call it is not something you interpret. If you are sensitive, you know it. You are different and that makes you suffer. There is people who really has a problem with that and that's not a joke to laugh at. Of course having asperger or being autistic is having a real problem that has nothing to do with this!

Oh, for sure, he's definitely a little liar who loves to make confusing statements :lmfao: Like he said, he makes up his own version of "reality" and he prefers it to the "real" reality :naughty:.

We all know Mika is a little liar... :mf_rosetinted: he enjoys confusing us!

-I don't know if there's a thread here for HS people. Please close it if already exists-

Hi, everyone!! I've finally discovered I am a highly sensitive person -HSP- after knowing there was something wrong with me since I was a child. And it's so good to know there's people like you and you're not a freak! As Mika is a HSP I thought many fans like me have suspected if they were one. If you are a HSP you know it, but you don't really know what happens to you. Make the test here if you have doubts about being one of us: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm.'>http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm. (in Spanish – http://personasaltamentesensibles.com/eres.htm).

Our sensitivity

HS people feel the things of their environment stronger than the others. Both phisically and phsichologically. Certain things like strong noises -a motorbike that passes in front of us, an ambulance... -, nasty smells -like cigarettes, certain colognes, some kind of food... -, violent scenes bother us a lot.

We are seen as shy people, but we are not. We are scared of big groups of people but feel very comfortable when speaking with just one person.

We are close to arts, we love and appreciate an artistic thing and love to share our feelings through art.

We are usually very sensitive to pain and violence. And the mood of the other people affect us.

We always think twice before acting -one of the reasons why we are called shy people-, we love to watch the people -how they behave and feel- and try to understand them. Also we are good listeners.

The good and the bad news

The bad news are that people who is not HS will not understand your feelings at all. You can tell them, but that won't solve anything at all. They probably won't treat you as a freak but they won't understand that “gift” of you that makes you special. You feel more stressed than the other people and you'll need to spend more time on yourself, relaxing and thinking.

But the good news is that your not a freak, you don't have any problem at all! The fact you can be more sensitive to things is a gift you can use to understand people and to treat everyone as they deserve. Loads of people will love you, some may envy you because of that but... Hey! You're not alone!

I opened this thread to share our feelings and experiences with other HS people and to be able to help each other. Remember there's many levels of HS -I'm on the highest one- and that Mika has it too!! ;)

Visit http://www.hsperson.com/ or http://personasaltamentesensibles.com/as.htm to find more information about it. :wink2:

That describes me exactly and I also scored 26 on the test :aah: I always just assume that that's just my personality and nothing more :dunno:

@Luminara I guess our point was that classifying sensitivity as a special state and defining it with unscientific measures like "someone who is really close to arts" sounds pretty funny if not ridiculous.

This is not to ridicule sensitive people - based on this test, I am sensitive, too -, but to draw people's attention that this article and test is as intellectual as a cook book.

I'm not particularly close to most of my school friends, and I think they have no idea how HS I am, because I do try to hide it a lot. However my family are VERY aware of it!

I don't think being a HSP means that you never relax and have a good time (like Mika at that party-thing) because I've danced like mad in front of people before, but it depends very much on the enviroment and just how easy it feels at the time, and it isn't something I do often, but I do sometimes depending very much on the situation.

Isn't it more like the opposite of Aspergers? Because with HSP you're very aware, and with Aspergers/Autism you're not.

Last point! :teehee:

I also think that HSP isn't one of those things (like horoscopes) that loads of people can interpret differently/think they have. And I know this from experience! As a younger child I found school etc. very hard because the teachers really didn't "get" me, and I think a lot of this was due to being a HSP. Also my mum is a Phycologist and she reckons I'm a HSP now, but when I was little she didn't know this, which made our relationship quite difficult at times, but now it seems so obvious what was going on!

He always says how uncomfortable he feels in social situations, but he can actually read social messages from other people and respond to them very quickly, it always amazes me. On the other hand, he IS very intelligent, you can also learn those things. Also, he doesn't seem to have problems with eye contact in a large scale, as he often says in interviews too... Of course he can feel that he doesn't enjoy social situations and he can experience eye contact difficult too.

High sensitivity is often related to problems in social situations and also to OCD (which he often mentions in interviews too), maybe that's why people think he is a high sensitive person.

And he is artistic... :teehee:

I'm not particularly close to most of my school friends, and I think they have no idea how HS I am, because I do try to hide it a lot. However my family are VERY aware of it!

I don't think being a HSP means that you never relax and have a good time (like Mika at that party-thing) because I've danced like mad in front of people before, but it depends very much on the enviroment and just how easy it feels at the time, and it isn't something I do often, but I do sometimes depending very much on the situation.

Same here.

But I do call myself an artist, and I think that all artists are quite sensitive..

Archived