We Are Golden: An article from Sexenio Magazine (Mexico) - 25/09/2011

BiaIchihara

(Source: http://www.sexenio.com.mx/columna.php?id=2452

Thanks for Eriko who posted on Twitter :flowers2: :flowers2: :flowers2:)

By Roberto Andrés Oliveira

Note: The following column has been written in two stages separated by several weeks. I hope that it does'nt change the consistency of the writing, I recommend reading the previous column They're all wasted.

Almost about to finish my playlist for these days, my Last.FM account recommend to me a song based on the ones I've already had loaded, "We are golden," first single from the second album of the same group name "Mika" published in 2009. I listen: ''not givin 'up when you're young and you want some'' [No hay que rendirse cuando eres joven y quieres algo]. Surrender. It's what many young people think. Surrender. And is quoting Shakespeare in the famous speech from Hamlet: Who would suffer the relentless scourge of the time, from the stronger the injustice, from the arrogant the hard contempt[...], the delays of the law, the insolence of the employee, the hostility that the petty ones swear by peaceful merit, being able to so much evil get rid yourself, even raising a steel tip?

Surrender. I've already mentioned earlier the alarming rates of suicide, unemployment, drug addiction and integration into the ranks of crime and drug trafficking. Surrender. Why not just surrender to the lack of security, education and employment? I keep hearing: We are not what you think we are, we are golden, we are golden! [No somos lo que ustedes piensan, somos de oro, somos oro!] Why not surrender? Simple!, BECAUSE WE ARE VALUABLE, WE ARE GOLDEN!

Discrimination on grounds of age is one of the least discussed and considered by legal experts, media and society, but there, so there is that our Constitution prohibits in its first article. Leaving aside the institutional abuse towards youth opportunities, Mexican society itself discriminates against them. Youth, in our conservative society, is related in most cases with the negative side: irresponsibility, negligence, recklessness, ignorance, indiscipline, but these are not essential aspects of the young people but the creativity, vitality, openness, spontaneity, competitiveness, socialization.

They cross us out for being young when they should consider us exactly for this reason. In the collective unconscious youth is a defect. Not a virtue. You're young, you're not careful. Default. You're young, you never know what you want. Default. You're young, you need experience. Default.

Stop a bit in this little word: experience. How many headaches this concept has given me. For some reason the league has been doing something in a way for so long. "Trust me, I have more experience, all my life I have done so," God, it clearly has been doing so 10 or 20 years, but that doesn't mean it's the best way or it's well done. Well, you could take 100 years doing wrong. Experience is confused with mental rigidity. And youth, if it were actually a defect, would be a defect that's removed over the years, but mental rigidity gets worse with them.

I'm not saying that experience isn't useful, of course it is, in fact the first world countries, the Knowledge Management [Gestión del Conocimiento] in organizations and companies is one of the most driven as they are considered part of the assets (intellectual capital). But the most valuable asset of these are the research and development departments, knowledge creation areas, innovation areas, precisely where the young creative thinking is superior to older experienced mind. That's why they promote the recruitment of young talents from college, recruiters literally crowd the schools offering lucrative contracts and bonuses for them, they know that young blood is vital to their companies and organizations. In Mexico not. In Mexico, it's a sin to be young.

In Mexico we settle for saying that young people are tomorrow. No, we are the today. We are not promises, we are realities, we are not potential, we are action. We are not what you think, we are golden! WE ARE GOLD! WE ARE GOLDEN!

A few ones have understood that, in our country, companies ask for experience to get your first job, I need job to have experience! Of course progress has been made with tax breaks to hiring people who have never paid into the IMSS, but they are jus baby steps, it's society who must change, to understand that being young is not a defect but a virtue. A virtue which can give very interesting results and interests.

Finally I want to mention one local example, in Querétaro Governor Calzada has put the example since he started his administration, with talented young people ahead, not only in troops, secretariats, divisions and departments with the results and achievements patents, as well is the case of Paul Ospital, Abigail Arredondo, David Palacios, Andrea Spinola. It was and still is criticized for this. It's no secret that long political opponents in radio hall haven't stopped to call the Government Palace the Kindergarten, that members of the legislature (curiously those who are in charge of youth issues) calificanlas appearances by officials as "society of students "(as if being a student, a young one, was a bad thing) that anonymous people on internet accuse the administration for lack of experience for having so many young people. Just one word: Discrimination. What an obbtuse mind they have. Discrimination.

In fact is not something unusual or surprising they act or speak like that, the Governor's vision and proximity to youth has always been a permanent feature in it but not married to some old political class, outdated and antiquated forms of government and politics. Since October 1st, 2009 the governor showed his confidence and hope in young people. He knows and has proven THERE'S NO WHY SURRENDER, WE ARE NOT WHAT THEY THINK WE ARE, we are golden, WE ARE GOLDEN! WE ARE GOLDEN!

By the way: Shakespeare is also credited with the phrase: "The old people distrust of youth because they are young," perhaps that's why some local politicians distrust and insult, believe that because they were somehow all young. I have news for you: the problem was not the youth, the problem was (and is) you.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an interesting article:thumb_yello:

For someone who always lookes way younger than I was, It hits right at home:biggrin2:

A colleague was surprised recently when I mentionned I had an almost 12-year old kid. She was like: you must have had her really young? well, I was 28, it,s young but not THat young... And she was like: How old are you? I thought you WERE 28:roftl:

What an interesting article:thumb_yello:

For someone who always lookes way younger than I was, It hits right at home:biggrin2:

A colleague was surprised recently when I mentionned I had an almost 12-year old kid. She was like: you must have had her really young? well, I was 28, it,s young but not THat young... And she was like: How old are you? I thought you WERE 28:roftl:

I'm 57, and still feel young and golden, thanks to Mika and his wonderful song.

:biggrin2: I'm 47 and same here :wink2:

Thanks for sharing with us :)

it's a nice interview *_*

That's why I love him!!!!!!

I honestly love the way he think.

His songs and the philosophy of his life exert a favorable influence on me :))

Exactly :thumb_yello:

Thanks Bia for the sharing with us :huglove:

I work in the finanical industry where looking young is not always a good thing:wink2: my husband was happy when he got grey hair for that same matter.

I wasn't talking about "feeling" young, which is a different subject:biggrin2:

I work in the finanical industry where looking young is not always a good thing:wink2: my husband was happy when he got grey hair for that same matter.

I've got grey hair too. I don't mind it because it's silver-grey and it's also gone wavy. It used to be dead-straight. I used to eat crusts to make it wavy, but now I don't have to LOL!

Age discrimination in the workplace works more against people over 45 than young ones over here. And the press prefers to talk about discrimination against youth.

(Source: http://www.sexenio.com.mx/columna.php?id=2452

A few ones have understood that, in our country, companies ask for experience to get your first job, I need job to have experience! [/b]

:thumb_yello: Great Article.

So true...I see myself years ago in that quote, screaming "GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO HAVE EXPERIENCE!!!" Is that so difficult to understand?

Sometimes they asked for young people from 20 to 25 years old and with 3 years of experience! Tell me..who can apply to that!? :sneaky2:

Archived