Mika finally happy again - Nieuwsblad (Belgian) - 27/09/2012

smokesignal

Any idea of when he tweeted it ? :>

I did not check tweeter than often :doh:

It made me smile as OLYWID is one of my favourites on the CD ;) haha~

I knew "Rain" was about a break up but I didn't know it was about a real break up xD

I thought he had stayed with someone for 5 years before breaking up with him before/after Paloma's accident...

I get the feeling that 5 year relarionship was an on-off thing. Sometimes, in interviews, he would say that he was with someone, then next time he'd say that he wasn't. But since he's been with the present guy, he's been consistant, and I think, much happier.

But I still feel sorry for the poor guy he wrote the song about.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise! I didn't :blink: I had no idea...

It has only been since this summer that he's been talking about having a boyfriend and being open about his sexuality. Shame you didn't come back to MFC a few months ago and you would have known about St-Jean. He should be back in 2013 though.

Any idea of when he tweeted it ? :>

Wasn't it an article? One where a journalist was longer together with him? If my memory isn't messing up things.

Edit: Indeed. Here it is:

[...] The subsequent decision to throw caution to the wind affected both Mika’s creative and personal lives. By addressing the latter on Rain, he effectively reignited the former. “How was I feeling the day I wrote that? I was furious with the person I was going out with.” What had they done? “Nothing. That was the problem.”

What did he want them to do? “Embarrass me. Make me happy at the risk of making me totally miserable ... So I wrote this nasty little nursery rhyme — and then I thought, wouldn’t it be funny to put it to a dance beat, because that would empower it.”

Mika and this partner are no longer together. “We went out for over 18 months,” he says, with a curt smile. Their identity and gender is off-limits. In the past, he has said that “in order to survive”, he has “shut up different parts of life, and that’s one of them” but today he seems happy to talk about his sex life. Referring to the endorphin-surge disco of 2007’s Love Today, he reveals that the song came fully formed “after the first time I had sleepy with somebody and actually loved it”. Later, he cryptically tells me that he “emotionally killed a man”. When, exactly? “It was three weeks ago.” Someone who declared some kind of interest? He laughs. “It was complicated. Suffice to say that I am now a murderer.” [...]

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20887

Edited by DerMoment1608

Wasn't it an article? One where a journalist was longer together with him? If my memory isn't messing up things.

Ah yes, thank you. I actually couldn't remember if it was a tweet or not. Maybe I was just gossiping about it on Twitter. :naughty:

And a translation

Mika finally happy again

"The terrible accident of my sister made me realize that there are more important things than music," says Mika.

Mika is back and after his coming out and finally he feels good again. "I felt very lonely, but now I have something to say again. But whether I'm gay or not should not have to be important. "

With his breakthrough hit Grace Kelly and a debut album that sold eight million copies, Mika (29) became a superstar five years ago, but after a series of hits it became quieter around the Lebanese / American Brit. Now he breaks the silence with his new album The origin of love. "Is bringing out a third album routine for me? Each record represents a stage in my life, and because I create everything myself, it feels like a new beginning every time," tells Mika us on the phone. "This time it was accompanied with a lot of joy, sometimes it's a little harder."

Your previous album was certainly a lot darker.

"Then I felt very lonely and unhappy. I wrote the songs from my debut album surrounded by friends at music college, who believed in me. That foundation was suddenly wiped out and I was completely lost. That first album sold millions and then I was dropped in the studio. Come on, give us another record quickly. Like a lemon that quickly needed to be squeezed. "

So was the pressure even bigger this time?

"At first, but then Life took over and that for a while that became more important than music. My sister had a terrible accident (she fell out of a window, was impaled on a fence and needed months to recover, ed.) And I suddenly realized that there were more important things than music. So I began to live again, and suddenly I had something to tell again. As if someone had taken my head and hit me right in my face, I was awake again. All ego around my music disappeared, and it had to. I took my suitcase and left. When I came back from the airport I drove straight to the studio where I worked with musicians that could inspire me. The same night I wrote the title track. I didn't go home for eight months, I kept writing songs. Just finishing plate was a pain in the ass, because I made it so difficult for myself by mixing so many musical styles. "

Several months ago you came out of the closet, as it is called.

"Out of the closet: I hate that expression. We should burn it. "

Did you feel liberated after you said you were gay?

"I do not know if it was just that. The relief of just making fun music again, like on my first album, influenced my entire life. My new relationship made everything better, easier, happier. I got more confidence. I finally felt that I as a person could evolve and mature without having my music suffer from it. At that moment I decided that it was time to clear up my orientation. Not for everyone, just for those to whom it was important. Because for many it is not important, and it should not have to be. In that particular interview I wanted to say that I'm gay, and I would talk as if I was talking to the thirteen year old version of myself. The boy who did not know what his coming out would cause and did not know how he should deal with his life. There are many young people like that today still. Therefore, it was important to tell. "

One of the best songs on the album is "I only love you when I'm drunk." What did your boyfriend say?

"That song is about an ex-boyfriend. I hurt him terribly him with this song. He cried when I let him hear it. I said he had to see the humour in it. But I admit: it's pretty cruel. "(Laughs... the literal translation is laughs tasty, I don't know a good translation for that one)

On the cover of the album you look a bit like a Greek or Roman god. Do you feel that?

"Not at all. The opposite, I feel like a clown, and I'm happy about that. It means I can embrace absurdity of life, it does not have to be serious. At first sight it seems that I wear a crown, but it's just the letters of my name. That humour should tickle people, so they wonder what I really want to say. That's the attitude you should have when listening to the songs.

Thanks! :huglove:

I feel so sorry for the poor guy. Being Mika's boyfriend should come with a health warning.

:drunk_sing: As he himself said: " If I keep this up, I go straight to the hell" :mikacool:

praying :mf_popeanim::uhno:

Thank you :flowers2: the same as Chris, I remember what I read, but don't knew where, yeah ..... I'm :old:

that was 3 years ago and an earlier breakup in the same relationship, I think. :teehee:

I am not sure if the 'emotionally killing a man' part referred to the same person though.

Ah yes, thank you. I actually couldn't remember if it was a tweet or not. Maybe I was just gossiping about it on Twitter. :naughty:

He did say something similar at the end of 2010 /early 2011 as well, didn't he.

It could have been 10 years ago for all we know. :dunno:

It doesn't sound like much of a real relationship to me. More the "well I've gotten to know you for the past 3 months and this obviously isn't going anywhere so it's time to move on" type of thing. :naughty:

To me it sounds like someone he broke up with, met again at a party or in a bar or something like that, got drunk, and when waking up next to him the next morning realized it was a really bad idea. Especially if it's true that he made him cry with that song...

What about Rain???

I remember seeing interviews where he said he never saw that person again, and even one where he was asked if this person knew the song was about that relationship, where he answered he didn't know, but probably yes. Don't remember which interview though...

Now that we know about LYWID I want someone to ask him about Ta Dah...

I was just wondering.... If he is so happy now, why almost all the songs is about someone cruel (leaving his heart on the floor) and unkind (china boy part), quarreling with Mika all the time (Kids) and disappointing him (who couldn't kill him with it)?

I was just wondering.... If he is so happy now, why almost all the songs is about someone cruel (leaving his heart on the floor) and unkind (china boy part), quarreling with Mika all the time (Kids) and disappointing him (who couldn't kill him with it)?

I don't know about you, but I can't remember that last time that I was completely 100% happy, without any buts or maybes. I would describe myself as happy, but if someone treats me like dirt, I'm still going to be angry with them for a few minutes. I'd also say I'm in a happy relationship, but that doesn't mean I never have a conflict with my boyfriend (thank God, how boring would it be if we agreed on everything!) and of course I feel bad about that at that moment. And happy songs are just less interesting than dark ones :wink2:

That being said... I doubt there's a single song on that album that is about the relationship he's in right now.

I don't know about you, but I can't remember that last time that I was completely 100% happy, without any buts or maybes. I would describe myself as happy, but if someone treats me like dirt, I'm still going to be angry with them for a few minutes. I'd also say I'm in a happy relationship, but that doesn't mean I never have a conflict with my boyfriend (thank God, how boring would it be if we agreed on everything!) and of course I feel bad about that at that moment. And happy songs are just less interesting than dark ones :wink2:

That being said... I doubt there's a single song on that album that is about the relationship he's in right now.

Yes there's at least one: the origin of love

Yes there's at least one: the origin of love

Are you sure? I don't think he ever actually said it was about his current relationship. He suggested it, but he has been suggesting many things. He has been describing it as 'I was in a crush at the time'. Would you describe the start of a long-term relationship as a crush? Combine that with the remark 'it didn't go down well' about how his partner received it and 'if you send a love letter like that and you're not loved back it's time to find someone else'... he just might have done that. The break-up song China boy (did you know it was you who set me free) might be about the same person as OOL.

I think Mika said yesterday that he's still together with the guy from LYWID. I'll know for sure tonight when watching manneke paul.

Are you sure? I don't think he ever actually said it was about his current relationship. He suggested it, but he has been suggesting many things. He has been describing it as 'I was in a crush at the time'. Would you describe the start of a long-term relationship as a crush? Combine that with the remark 'it didn't go down well' about how his partner received it and 'if you send a love letter like that and you're not loved back it's time to find someone else'... he just might have done that. The break-up song China boy (did you know it was you who set me free) might be about the same person as OOL.

Mika is so mysterious.

Now he has another strategy: instead of telling not a single word about his personal life, he tells a lot - but so mingled and contradictory, that I start to suspect he is just having fun watching us confused more and more after each interview :fisch:

I think Mika said yesterday that he's still together with the guy from LYWID. I'll know for sure tonight when watching manneke paul.

Ok, so maybe he just has a very weird definition of 'happy relationship' :aah:

When did he say that? As far as I read, it was an EX relationship. Did Mika get back with him? He also said in one interview recently that he'd like to have a child while he's still young.

Heavens Mika, don't even contemplate it until you're really really settled. A child is for life, not just for Christmas!

Mika is so mysterious.

Now he has another strategy: instead of telling not a single word about his personal life, he tells a lot - but so mingled and contradictory

I think that's been Mika's strategy since day one. There is more to one's "personal life" than sexual orientation and I think much of the personal information he has revealed since 2006 is not exactly the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :naughty:

Ok, so maybe he just has a very weird definition of 'happy relationship' :aah:

I think maybe people should take everything Mika says about his relationships when he is promoting an album about love with a huge dose of salt. :wink2:

It has probably been a complicated relationship... :naughty: But he looks really happy these days :wub2:

I think maybe people should take everything Mika says about his relationships when he is promoting an album about love with a huge dose of salt. :wink2:

And he likes to keep his privacy, so telling a lot of stories can be his way to tell nothing at all...

Edited by tiibet

When did he say that? As far as I read, it was an EX relationship. Did Mika get back with him? He also said in one interview recently that he'd like to have a child while he's still young.

Heavens Mika, don't even contemplate it until you're really really settled. A child is for life, not just for Christmas!

Oh, but he has already changed 'soon' to 'not within the next two years' when it comes to a child.

I can't blame him for contradicting himself all the time. If nothing else, it keeps us busy :naughty: