Mika in Italy again friday Jan 25th, 2013 on TV and on Radio!

robertina

I don't think he meant it in any disrespectful way, at all. When he was talking about it he just seemed overwhelmed to me. And Twitter is overwhelming. Not everyone is suited to deal efficiently with that. Many artists have staff hired exclusively to deal with twitter and social networking in general.

As for the aut aut you're outlining, I think it sounds excessively bitter. He has no obligation toward his followers, no one should hate him just because he tweets every now and then and not every single day. People who chose to support him shouldn't demand something back. He's a singer-songwriter. What he has to give is just music. Everything else he wants to do for his fans, well that's his decision not a repayment.

My opinion, anyway. No offense meant.

I totally agree with that. And twitter CAN be overwhelming indeed. It's that even for us, no to mention him. I appreciate it that he keeps his account so personal (compared to his FB) and I don't mind if he likes to hide sometimes, and I was glad to read the translation for the interview and his explanation (that made sense to me) :thumb_yello:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, I think as far as crazy people on his timeline go, he's got off fairly lightly.

I think what Mika receives on twitter compared to the Pope is just sweets and honey :naughty:

Indeed! :naughty:

I actually only remember one incident that was truly personal and hurtful. (As everyone should realize by now our most infamous hater has been blocked for years and he doesn't read it. :naughty:) The rest are just babbling crazies and people begging for attention. Annoying but not exactly hateful. I think Mika fans have to put up with more abuse from other fans than Mika does.

At least online. If people are harassing him at his home or hotel or sending him weird things then that is a totally different story. I can imagine how that would feel threatening and invasive.

If it feels an obligation he better stay in his bubble and tweet later when he feels like it. I don't want him to create any illusions.

He can do whatever he wants. But if he is going to tweet I don't know why he moans about it later. It just negates the goodwill he's built up by tweeting at all.

Besides it was his choice to abandon his blog and use Twitter as his means of communicating with fans. He now has 10 times as many followers on Facebook as Twitter. On FB his team could moderate the comments so not only would he not have to see it but other fans wouldn't have to read it either.

If he simply does not want to use social media at all that is also his choice. But if you want the benefits of it you need to use it and not whine about how much you hate it or there's no point at all. :dunno:

I don't think he meant it in any disrespectful way, at all. When he was talking about it he just seemed overwhelmed to me.

I appreciate your translation and I understand what you're saying but Mika has made these comments about hating Twitter at least half a dozen times in interviews. He's also said things at gigs.

As for the aut aut you're outlining, I think it sounds excessively bitter.

Sorry I don't know what that means. :aah:

He has no obligation toward his followers, no one should hate him just because he tweets every now and then and not every single day.

No one hates Mika because he tweets now and then. He wasn't serious with that comment. He just means that instead of acting happy to hear from him they will moan that he was gone too long.

People who chose to support him shouldn't demand something back. He's a singer-songwriter. What he has to give is just music. Everything else he wants to do for his fans, well that's his decision not a repayment.

It is also the artist who expects something back from this kind of interaction. They expect their fans to help promote them, to buy their music, to create a buzz, to follow them around to gigs. In Mika's case he encourages fans to give him presents, plan surprises, etc. etc. And the repayment for that kind of behaviour is personal interaction and acknowledgement. That's what motivates people.

That's what I mean when I say if he is going to be one of those artists (like Adele for instance) who wants to live their offstage life in hiding then he is going to lose a lot of that type of support from fans who are or would be emotionally invested in him and what he's doing. I love Adele's music as much or even more than Mika's. But I don't support her in the same way because she is not present and she is not directly involved with her fans. She has just been lucky that she has been the darling of traditional media and doesn't need anything else. For most pop stars in 2013 that is impossible. If they don't need to rely on social media it's because they are in the tabloids every day and having fans moan about them online is the least of their privacy issues.

Maybe I didn't understand his comment in the interview at all, but I assumed he was talking about the nature of twitter as a social media. Everything is quick and immediate (not sure how to say it in English). People reacts very easily. So he gets a lot of quick, short and random tweets about everything he is doing/not doing and it's probably not really useful during the song writing process when he likes to be in his own bubble any way (I guess it can still be useful when new music is out or if he wants to test new ideas?).

As I said I don't have time to read all the tweets he gets, but of course I know most celebrities get a lot of horrible stupid tweets. I have always thought it's just one of those negative and disgusting modern phenomenons we can't avoid and the reason why he probably can't much read his tweets. I have still somehow hoped he takes a look at his timeline every now and then and feels the love his fans send to him. And, if he likes to, he can say something and share things (like test new ideas) and get very direct feedback and have a connection with his fans. I don't expect him to do it often and it doesn't bother me if he hides for months.

Every time he says he hates twitter it makes me think the negative sides are just too big and that the support or useful feedback he gets can't compensate it. And it is a bit sad, isn't it. On the other hand, his comment having a love-hate relationship with twitter makes total sense to me and I can understand it very well.

I could not have said it better:thumb_yello:

It makes me think he just wants to enjoy the luxuries afforded him by his success and not have any of the obligations and hassles. :naughty: If Mika thinks that earning millions of dollars is not enough compensation for switching on his phone a couple of times a week to at least create an illusion that he wants to be in touch with his fans, rather than mosning every chance he gets about how much he hates it...well... :blink: He's lucky he's so talented and doesn't have to live in the real world like the rest of us.

BUt having millions in your bank account doesn't prevent one from getting hurt by negative/nasty comments, does it?

no, it doesn't, moreover some people are more sensitive than others

i think for a few millions, i'd put up with online verbal abuse. and as we all know.. blocking is your friend when it gets too much

hell, i put up with abuse to the point where my twitter account is private & i don't make a penny! :naughty:

:aah:

Sorry I don't know what that means. :aah:

You either have to be in that game like Justin Bieber or Katy Perry or if you are the kind of artist who needs to be locked up in your private world to be creative and sane, then you have to go it alone. You have to let your music speak for itself and not rely on an emotionally invested fanbase to follow you and promote you. You can't have it all.

This is what I mean by Aut Aut, which is basically not taking another option into consideration.

I feel emotionally invested in Mika's music even though I've been to only 2 or 3 of his shows and I've never actually met him in person; and even if he doesn't praise his fans or shows appreciation in every possible occasion.

Anyway, that means we just feel things differently, I guess, and your opinion is as valuable as mine or as anyone else's.

BUt having millions in your bank account doesn't prevent one from getting hurt by negative/nasty comments, does it?

How is the solution to receiving negative comments to punish all of your fans by repeatedly moaning in public about how much you hate communicating with them on Twitter? You can block those comments (preferably publicly so everyone gets the message and the people who are not completely mentally ill will learn to check themselves and think twice about what they say). You can not read the comments at all. You can choose another form of social media that is more moderated. You can not use social media at all.

I receive the same and more abuse that Mika does. And all I get for my trouble is...err...nothing except the experience of communicating with other Mika fans who are nice and funny and have interesting opinions, etc.

This is what I mean by Aut Aut, which is basically not taking another option into consideration.

I feel emotionally invested in Mika's music even though I've been to only 2 or 3 of his shows and I've never actually met him in person; and even if he doesn't praise his fans or shows appreciation in every possible occasion.

Anyway, that means we just feel things differently, I guess, and your opinion is as valuable as mine or as anyone else's.

Aw I see, thanks for the explanation.

I am emotionally invested in Adele's music too. But it manifests itself in a different way. Like I would never plan a birthday surprise for her as we did for Mika. I did it for Mika because I feel it is appropriate reciprocation for the kinds of things he does like support MFC, offer meet and greets, acknowledge his fans online and off, etc.

You're absolutely right, as an artist Mika doesn't have to do any of these things. He can just create music and perform on stage and people can choose to buy it or not buy it. But the fans would not do many of the things they do either if the relationship was only one-sided.

i think for a few millions, i'd put up with online verbal abuse. and as we all know.. blocking is your friend when it gets too much

hell, i put up with abuse to the point where my twitter account is private & i don't make a penny! :naughty:

:aah:

setting his account to private wouldn't make any sense :naughty:

and if nasty comments come mostly from different people, he can't spend his time blocking everyone, so I don't think he can defend himself like we do :wink2:

so learning to live with that sounds like the only option for him

and if nasty comments come mostly from different people, he can't spend his time blocking everyone, so I don't think he can defend himself like we do :wink2:

There are only a handful of people out there who are abusive and mental. And he has already blocked some of them. I think a bit of public naming and shaming would go a long way to controlling everyone else. But that's just wishful thinking I guess. :teehee:

setting his account to private wouldn't make any sense :naughty:

well, of course going private isn't possible for him, but blocking is... he's done it in the past to fans who were offensive. if he takes the time to read their offensive tweets, blocking is one click away :yay::naughty:

There are only a handful of people out there who are abusive and mental. And he has already blocked some of them. I think a bit of public naming and shaming would go a long way to controlling everyone else. But that's just wishful thinking I guess. :teehee:

:teehee: it's like in the old days where they used the center of cities to punish criminals :aah:

Edited by guylainem123

But every single artist/actor etc in the show business gets bad/nasty/stupid messages on twitter.... maybe he just wanted to say that he doesn't like spending much time on twitter because he doesn't like this media that much...he would get stupid comments by stupid people anyway, with or without twitter, (for example comments on YouTube videos) and I think he doesn't care about them!