Mika on France 3 "Des racines et des ailes" - March 2013

Menthe

I was sitting in our living room helping my son with his homework and suddenly I hear Grace Kelly on TV. It was an amazing surprise! It was a tv program about Marseille and they showed couple of minutes of his gig in Silo and then a little interview with him and an architect (how had designed the Silo concert hall , I guess). Mika told that he had a special relation with Marseille because when his grand father, at age of 16 (!), emigrated from Syria, he first came to Marseille before leaving to New York.

I am not sure if they put the program on their web site: http://www.france3.fr/emissions/des-racines-et-des-ailes/diffusions/27-03-2013_38204

Edited by mari62
adding YT link

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's interesting, thank you for translating! i read once in an article that the grandfather was also in jerusalem before syria but i don't know if that's true.. :teehee: anyway, cool family!

I think it was his father that was born in Jerusalem.

That's why I think it's funny that he says his Middle Eastern born father is American and his American born mother is Lebanese. :naughty:

Yes his mother's family has roots in Lebanon and Syria but almost all North Americans have roots in the old world. I would not say that my mother is English but my father is Canadian. They were both raised in Canada and they both have families rooted in Europe.

Anyway I guess it hasn't taken so long, looks like it was all explained in 2010:

He describes his father as American, but he was actually born in Jerusalem to a diplomat father who then moved his family to Egypt. ‘I don’t know where my father is from,’ Mika says with apparent sincerity. ‘I just don’t. He’s lived in so many countries. Now he lives in Bahrain mainly and London.’ His mother calls herself Lebanese, but she was born in New York, albeit in a Lebanese community.

As we queue for the little cable car that will take us up to the hilltop Malachite church established by his great great uncle in 1947, Mika tells the story of his maternal great grandmother. When her son went to fight the Turks, she sat on the roof of her house in Damascus, waiting for his return. She died of sunstroke. As shaggy family stories go, it’s a good one.

Her distraught son – Mika’s maternal grandfather – duly decided to ship himself and his seven siblings off to a new, safer life in the United States. Thirty years after arriving at Ellis Island, Mika’s grandfather had a multi-million dollar textile business and was a commissioner of New York. Mika’s father – studying in America after graduating from AUB – and mother met ‘while crossing the road in New York’.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-festivals/7944465/V-Festival-2010-Mika-interview.html

I think it was his father that was born in Jerusalem.

That's why I think it's funny that he says his Middle Eastern born father is American and his American born mother is Lebanese. :naughty:

Yes his mother's family has roots in Lebanon and Syria but almost all North Americans have roots in the old world. I would not say that my mother is English but my father is Canadian. They were both raised in Canada and they both have families rooted in Europe.

Anyway I guess it hasn't taken so long, looks like it was all explained in 2010:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-festivals/7944465/V-Festival-2010-Mika-interview.html

oh yeah that's the article! good finding! thank you very much:huglove:

Edited by lollipop161

• 9 years later...
On 27/03/2013 at 23:23, Menthe said:

J'étais assis dans notre salon en train d'aider mon fils à faire ses devoirs et soudain j'entends Grace Kelly à la télé. C'était une surprise incroyable! C'était une émission télévisée sur Marseille et ils ont montré quelques minutes de son concert au Silo, puis une petite interview avec lui et un architecte (comment avait conçu la salle de concert Silo, je suppose). Mika a raconté qu'il avait une relation particulière avec Marseille car lorsque son grand-père, à 16 ans (!), a émigré de Syrie, il est d'abord venu à Marseille avant de partir pour New York.

Je ne sais pas s'ils ont mis le programme sur leur site web : http://www.france3.fr/emissions/des-racines-et-des-ailes/diffusions/27-03-2013_38204

Bonjour, est-ce possible de remettre un lien pour cette vidéo car je ne la trouve nul part autres