2013 - Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer April 8 - Reports/PICS

dcdeb

Excellent report Lemontine! you remembered so much :thumb_yello:

When Mika finally came out, it was without any fanfare, onto a mostly dark stage. He looked marvelous in that tweedy suit with a solid dark bowtie and some very dangerously spiky Louboutins.

ah this reminds me i forgot about him talking about his shoes. He said at previous gigs ppl had put their stuff on the stage and now how he'll kick it off with his spikes or smth. I forgot what exactly he said. I don't think i got a vid of it :( really i ought to start keeping notes during the gigs lol

http://intellectualsinc.blogspot.com/2013/04/mika-live-in-philadelphia.html

Intellectuals, Inc.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Mika Live in Philadelphia

Last night singer-song writer Mika performed at Union Transfer in Philadelphia. It was billed as "An Intimate Evening with Mika," and it was, with Mika at his piano, and only two other band members covering keyboards, drums, bass, and assorted necessities. For an artist who has put on carnival style stadium shows in Paris, this was just a man and his music.

Opening with his first big hit "Grace Kelly" from Life in Cartoon Motion, Mika revved the crowd up immediately. For the next half a dozens songs or so, he played favorites including "Lollipop" and "Blue Eyes". The crowd loved every minuted of it, singing along while the musician in Mika played with the arrangements to keep the old favorites fresh.

Launching into songs from his newest CD, "The Origin of Love," Mika raised the energy level with "Love You When I'm Drunk," which had the crowd bouncing, smiling, and singing at the top of our lungs. Preparing to sing "Emily," Mika admitted that his father hates the song because it makes his mother look like a raving bitch. Mika sang the original French version "Elle Me Dit" which brought the crowd to a fever pitch.. In a moment of lighthearted self-congratulations, he admitted it is an amazing song.

In the most unscripted moment of the night, Mika moved on to play his ode to Broadway musical "Wicked" with "Popular Song." Twice the piece broke down when he forgot the words (that belong his duet partner in the recording). Unlike the many pop acts singing to a back up track, Mika's grit showed through in this embarrassing moment. He opted to come back to the song later in the show and completely rocked it.

What comes through most in in Mika's performance last night is his immense talent. Whether his musicality, his ability to play piano with such passion, or his four octave range, Mika pours his heart and soul into his performances, drawing the crowd in with him. It's his storytelling that might be be the most compelling talents for this song writer. His empathy for the marginalized comes out in songs like "Billy Brown," "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)," and "We Are Golden."

Mika's music is poignant and sweet, but more than anything it is fun. Though Mika often sings of sadness, I find him to be an optimist at heart, one who believes in love, who thinks everyone deserves love (and no one can define that love for another person). If there is a single message in Mika's music, I think it might be this: Happiness can only come from within, but you have to create it for yourself and not look outside for it.

An international star who has a massive following in Europe, I cannot understand Mika is not more popular in the US. I'm not complaining though, I have been privileged to see Mika twice, both in smaller venues (3,000 for the Electric Factory in 2009 and 600 at Union Transfer last night), and if he was as popular here as he is in Europe, I would never have enjoyed myself as much as I did. So, shhhhhhhhh...

Intellectuals, Inc.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Last night singer-song writer Mika performed at Union Transfer in Philadelphia. It was billed as "An Intimate Evening with Mika," and it was, with Mika at his piano, and only two other band members covering keyboards, drums, bass, and assorted necessities. For an artist who has put on carnival style stadium shows in Paris, this was just a man and his music.

Opening with his first big hit "Grace Kelly" from Life in Cartoon Motion, Mika revved the crowd up immediately. For the next half a dozens songs or so, he played favorites including "Lollipop" and "Blue Eyes". The crowd loved every minuted of it, singing along while the musician in Mika played with the arrangements to keep the old favorites fresh.

Launching into songs from his newest CD, "The Origin of Love," Mika raised the energy level with "Love You When I'm Drunk," which had the crowd bouncing, smiling, and singing at the top of our lungs. Preparing to sing "Emily," Mika admitted that his father hates the song because it makes his mother look like a raving bitch. Mika sang the original French version "Elle Me Dit" which brought the crowd to a fever pitch.. In a moment of lighthearted self-congratulations, he admitted it is an amazing song.

In the most unscripted moment of the night, Mika moved on to play his ode to Broadway musical "Wicked" with "Popular Song." Twice the piece broke down when he forgot the words (that belong his duet partner in the recording). Unlike the many pop acts singing to a back up track, Mika's grit showed through in this embarrassing moment. He opted to come back to the song later in the show and completely rocked it.

What comes through most in in Mika's performance last night is his immense talent. Whether his musicality, his ability to play piano with such passion, or his four octave range, Mika pours his heart and soul into his performances, drawing the crowd in with him. It's his storytelling that might be be the most compelling talents for this song writer. His empathy for the marginalized comes out in songs like "Billy Brown," "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)," and "We Are Golden."

Mika's music is poignant and sweet, but more than anything it is fun. Though Mika often sings of sadness, I find him to be an optimist at heart, one who believes in love, who thinks everyone deserves love (and no one can define that love for another person). If there is a single message in Mika's music, I think it might be this: Happiness can only come from within, but you have to create it for yourself and not look outside for it.

An international star who has a massive following in Europe, I cannot understand Mika is not more popular in the US. I'm not complaining though, I have been privileged to see Mika twice, both in smaller venues (3,000 for the Electric Factory in 2009 and 600 at Union Transfer last night), and if he was as popular here as he is in Europe, I would never have enjoyed myself as much as I did. So, shhhhhhhhh...

Thank you !! - This person has understood it all - love it !! :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

Intellectuals, Inc.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Wow!

Intellectuals, Inc.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

thanks Deb :thumb_yello:

Here's some of the best of my Philly pics. Without flash it was harder to get clear ones :/

b5ceb29f-0357-49e7-ba74-049d484882c4.jpg

640c02d8-8bcd-4417-8108-c4b0c0949895.jpg

ff6b99d6-bad0-4ece-ac05-2857d7985ab5.jpg

02e7ceb8-869e-4c5b-8101-8a827b580785.jpg

cda9edf0-237c-4ad8-9a65-bceb6dcda835.jpg

c877e288-ae91-4c5f-8677-d8b4ed5a684a.jpg

i snapped a few post gig after i met him, when he was with other ppl

23f433c2-8aac-4111-861e-43a131bf4456.jpg

(look Deb, a pic of your hair w/ Mika xD)

43e05c24-04a6-4319-91b7-d490e42c6900.jpg

46c68173-e086-430a-ab6e-b574fdd22da8.jpg

(sorry to the girl in these pics, if you want me to blur you out i can xD)

i've got more pics if y'all want me to post them. vids to come much later

Edited by kreacher
  • Thanks 1

I always want to see more photos of Mika! :wub2:

And I can't get enough photos of this lovely person!! He looks like a young schoolboy with his backsack - he's sooo with the persons he meets, love these pics :wub2::thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

http://www.ateenview.com/mika-concert-review/

Certain music just makes you smile and that’s exactly what all three of Mika’s albums do. After a sunny and warm Philadelphia day, I headed over to Union Transfer to see Mika’s concert. This tour was set up to be more of an intimate show, with cool lights hanging around the stage and a simple set up. Opening with Grace Kelly, the audience was immediately dancing and singing along.

The set featured a combination of songs from all three albums and Mika kept a huge smile on his face through the whole show. Fans were dancing and singing and having an all around great time. Through the show, Mika debuted a few new songs that were met with a positive response.

Mika is an artist I’d highly recommend seeing if you ever get the chance. His deep lyrics are buried within pop beats; but if you take the chance to listen slowly, you might just find a song that explains exactly what you’re feeling.

90911736.png

21005731.png

79661977.png

22014739.png

23218461.png

http://www.ateenview.com/mika-concert-review/

Certain music just makes you smile and that’s exactly what all three of Mika’s albums do. After a sunny and warm Philadelphia day, I headed over to Union Transfer to see Mika’s concert. This tour was set up to be more of an intimate show, with cool lights hanging around the stage and a simple set up. Opening with Grace Kelly, the audience was immediately dancing and singing along.

The set featured a combination of songs from all three albums and Mika kept a huge smile on his face through the whole show. Fans were dancing and singing and having an all around great time. Through the show, Mika debuted a few new songs that were met with a positive response.

Mika is an artist I’d highly recommend seeing if you ever get the chance. His deep lyrics are buried within pop beats; but if you take the chance to listen slowly, you might just find a song that explains exactly what you’re feeling

90911736.png

21005731.png

79661977.png

22014739.png

23218461.png

OMG - such extremely beautiful photos - and another so nice and true review

Really "glory days" for all MIKA fans - thank you so much for finding and sharing Daniela!! :thumb_yello::blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

1.) YES YES YES these photos are gorgeous! Thank you! :mikalove:

2.) Not to keep harping on this, but I did a quick double-take when I got to this part of his new interview with the Huffington Post..."I did a show last night in Philly at the Union Transfer. Someone was smoking the most nasty chronic pot in the front row, and all the smoke was coming on stage. Normally that doesn't bother me, but this was so chemically enhanced, and it blocked my brain, and I couldn't remember any of my lyrics and couldn't keep time on my piano. Only the front section understood what was happening. I was singing my song "Popular," and I stopped it three times. I got to the second verse three times and forgot what was supposed to happen next. I felt like I was 14 on a camping trip, smoking for the first time. Whoever was smoking that **** needs to sort themselves out." --> Couldn't agree more, darling. And I do feel bad it was so distracting and gross for him to deal with, of all the places I'm not surprised this happened in Philly. (And it's my city, so no offense to anyone!) :doh:

But, let's end on a happy note...:mikadas:

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • silver changed the title to 2013 - Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer April 8 - Reports/PICS