2016 - Festival de Nimes France 16 July: Reports/Pics/Vids

Kumazzz

Some pictures from this special night just 2 days after the attack in Nice

Mika just found the right words in these circumstances, and the show was wonderfull with the whole crowd very involved (more than in Bercy in my opinion)

here's the link to more pictures

https://goo.gl/photos/VYkC5w8CmjJxS3CW9

post-24939-0-84751600-1469905005_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-42045000-1469905046_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-61010000-1469905101_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-86727700-1469905155_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-13889200-1469905207_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-12051000-1469905245_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-64191100-1469905280_thumb.jpg

post-24939-0-23763200-1469905315_thumb.jpg

Edited by carafon
  • Like 4

Oh, late late late... I was lost in translation actually, but you know how's life when you waste it doing useless things like sleeping and working  :aah:

"Don't you worry, everything's gonna be all right"

c0095110.jpg

Okay, where do I start now… I was wondering, but I think never in a gig I've felt such a big emotional wave as the one I was drown into on this Saturday night. Which keeps me on track with my "every time I go to a gig in this arena something happens" stuff. Except that this time, the something gave me a massive headache because of how much I cried, but I won't blame him for it, quite the contrary: it was therapeutic tears (yes, I know, I always cry but oh how I needed to let those ones out) . 

I was far, faaar from crying before it starts though. If by any chance Mika had the good idea of spying a bit on the audience before coming on stage he must have had quite an original vision: the whole audience turning their back to the stage to be able to see this guy in the bleachers who had improvised himself master of choreography and who was making 5000 people dance. And how we were dancing, and how we were laughing, we were like 5000 friends spending some good time together, and it was so great you would have almost wished (almost) the gig wouldn't start yet (all this under the eyes of the police guys who were standing on top of the wall, it was pretty impressive I have to say - everything else in the city has been cancelled except for this gig so the security was all here, and it was... weird and scary). 

But the lights go off and we think it might be more polite to turn and face the stage. 

And then Mika is here. With no introduction, no music, nothing, just him standing behind his mic. Who begins to talk about the tragedy we've just been through, who thinks about the victims and their kin and of those who were there and saw that happen under their eyes... I know someone who was there and who had just time to put herself out of the way before seeing everything happening right in front of her, and I am quite moved that he thinks of them too. We start a minute of silence during which you could have heard a bug flying, and, yes, obviously I cry. I know I am not the only one. When one minute later Mika speaks again, I raise my eyes and the first thing I see is Ed wiping tears out of his face... 2 minutes earlier we were dancing like monkeys and now we're all completely overwhelmed, maybe the biggest rollercoaster I've ever taken at a gig, which will put all of us in quite a unique state and which will give an incredible intensity to this show. 

He then opens the gig with a "long version"  of no place in heaven, a superb version, in which he put all his soul, for them. 

c0044410.jpg

And then it is time to keep on paying our homage, but differently : now we must dance and sing and shout with all our lungs....and live. We are not allowed to be there as simple spectators tonight, and everybody understands that well and will do their best to put the place on fire. 

Which is easy, because we receive so much energy from him! He never stops for a minute, jumps everywhere, twists like a worm, and I'll say it again : I don't understand how the body of this man works xd. His voice is close to perfect too, much more stronger than when I saw him 15 days before -  let's assume he used his 2 days off to have a massive nap :P

The setlist won't be exactly as it should have been, as Billy Brown will pop in where blue eyes should have been (it was blue eyes written on the setlist). Rain will do a hello too, and Origin will be lost in the battle. Last Party went out too, and in the context of the night I am not sure I would have been able to deal with it. 

Also Staring at the sun and its giant balloons - okay, balloons have the same effect on me than confettis: I am 4 years old when they come. Balloons which will keep on coming back on stage instead of going away, and Mika to throw them again and again but more and more badly as his arm was getting tired XD. I ended up in a strange position by the way, with a balloon stuck in my face on one side when Mika's hand was on the other side... so when he gave the push I ended up falling backward and almost finished sitting on the knees of the lovely lady behind me (where a civilised balloon would simply have exploded and covered me of confettis, really those balloons have no respect at all).

Sats ends, Underwater starts, Curtis concentrates on his lovely piano introduction… up 'till he discovers a giant guy armed with a huge balloon standing in front of him. As good supporters of the musician ( :aah: ), we all begin to shout "make it explode !"… and he will,of course, covering Curtis and his keyboard under a pack of confettis (and himself thanks to the wind,as we’re in the south of France and so, as he’ll say himself « thank you the mistral ! »).  Anyway,the keyboard has now disappeared under confettis, and so he starts cleaning up his mess, happily pressing every touch in the process while Curtis keeps on trying to play his intro, which ends up in a giant cacophony with somewhere in the background something that vaguely sounds like Underwater’s introduction... and he actually seems very proud of the mess he've made, I have to say  :D 

And talking about underwater, of course in such a place and with such an atmosphere it could only be superb « oh f*ck you’re so beautiful ! » he will say to his stars...

Same for happy ending, of course. Again in this time and place it had to be overwhelming..

Lollipop again will be with all the gang around the piano but the accompaniment will be slightly different. He’ll end it by telling us the story of the so called lollipop girl who had been cast away from her village because she was too colourful for all those dull people and who now apparently lives in a flat,old and alone in her pink clothes, poor thing.

c0089310.jpg

Of course he’ll talk a few times about all those tragedies we keep on having in the country, especially the one 2 days before, and remembering how often he used to go in Nice on 14th of July when he was a kid. How many national days he spent on the exact place we now see endlessly on our television… he’ll move me a lot with his speech about music "music is not a privilege . Music is a communion, it is for everyone. It is liberty. And yes: liberty, equality, fraternity."

And then comes We Are Golden and that’s when things became complicated for me. As the song is about to end, he gets out of stage to go and grab a French flag he had stolen in the bleachers during elle me dit, jumps on the piano and brandish the flag while shouting with all the conviction he can put in it « WE ARE NOT WHAT YOU THINK WE ARE, WE ARE GOLDEN !" . He is so involved at this moment, it’s like he is shouting the the world « look at us, we are standing, we are dancing and singing. We may be scared but we’ll keep on standing. » and this flag he is holding so hard, up there in his piano… I know I tend to cry all the time but on this one I wasn’t alone. It was so important and so… needed. I needed him and he was there, finding the only perfect way for him to help and support. And for one I didn’t mind crying my eyes out in front of everyone.

c0094710.jpg

...And then continues by again finding the perfect words for his little speech introducing J'ai 2 amours, that he will sing with the flag attached to his mic. A soft wind will make the flag and some confettis fly slowly in front of him during the song, and it is so, so beautiful. I liked the song at Bercy but nothing special happened for me I have to say - but here, oh, it really had a meaning.

c0095511.jpg

While I am still crying all I can comes Love Today with its new-old-new introduction that I love to bits. "So, there’s literally only 2 minutes left before we are legally not allowed to make any noise anymore, what do we do, we shut up ? No hey,we don’t care ! "

But comes a time when you really must end, and now is the moment to say goodbye… but what a funny goodbye! Mika and the gang all sending hearts to the audience,that’s lovely… and then it goes a bit mad and begins to look like this

He runs out of stage with this huge smile on his face, and then and all of a sudden here comes my headache due to too much crying. I am a bit stunned and I feel like I am in some sort of cotton for a while but I am quite aware that I’ve just lived something quite special... and that I needed excactly what he has given me.

c0047210.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Concerts en Boîte

Photos et Review

http://www.concertsenboite.fr/2016/07/16/chronique-photos-live-mika-2

16 juillet 2016

Mika @ Arènes (Nîmes)

Dancin' On The Heaven's Arena !

Conditions de mise en boîte

3 morceaux, librement dans les Arènes, mais avec les crashs barrières interdites.

Chronique

Etiqueté par Arnaud :

Faut-il faire la fête quelques jours après un désastre humain ? C’est un peu la question que pose
Mika
en introduction de son concert, au travers d’un hommage sincère et émouvant.

A la manière d’un
Freddy Mercury
, que forcément
Mika
doit adorer, la réponse est naturellement « 
Show Must Go On
« . Voilà donc déjà le début du chant de 
No Place In Heaven
: l’émotion est palpable, avec lui tout seul dans la lumière. Puis nous retrouvons ensuite notre masupilami à partir de la seconde chanson, à partir de 
Big Girl (You Are beautiful)
et de son intro au piano des plus comiques.

Qu’il est bon de retrouver cette joie de vivre, cette joie d’être sur scène. C’est définitivement là que l’on voit que le troublion de
The Voice
est tout aussi imprévisible quand il chante que sur un plateau de télé, sortant avec la plus belle des décontractions des imbécilités dignes d’un enfant de 10 ans. Aucun tabou, aucune retenue :
Mika
est là pour faire la fête et il le fait admirablement bien.

Alors oui, même si in fine son univers musical est trop Pop, trop commercial pour le torturé de l’esprit que je suis et qui fond pour du
Bowie
ou du
, force est de constater que l’on passe un super bon moment. A tel point qu’on se prend même à sautiller tout seul comme un couillon sur son siège, entraîné que l’on est par cette bonne humeur et cette bonne énergie.

On prescrit assez facilement du
Lexomil 
en France; on ferait mieux d’imposer un concert de
Mika
 par an ! C’est sans effet secondaire et ça fait un bien fou à l’âme !

Etiqueté par Ysabel :

Troisième concert de la soirée … Et nous allons enfin savoir ce qui se cache derrière ces deux grands rideaux, l’un noir et l’autre blanc. La découverte commence par un immense panneau HEAVEN, façon fronton lumineux de cirque, qui monte petit à petit pour prendre magistralement position au dessus de la scène. Puis c’est une espèce de verrière cage à oiseaux qui est dévoilée, toute décorée de végétaux, et un large tapis rouge qui est mis en place, ainsi qu’un magnifique piano multicolore … C’est superbe. Reste juste le grand drap blanc, mais il me semble qu’il laisse apparaitre un fauteuil géant, au gré de quelques petits coups de vent.

Le public au taquet appelle son petit prince, clappe les bras levés … Et le tant attendu
Mika
apparait enfin, dans un costume digne d’un Monsieur loyal, très heureux d’être là « Dans les plus belles Arènes du monde ! », avec une touchante pensée pour tous ceux qui ont été blessés, mais aussi tous ceux qui ont hélas du voir cette horreur de leur yeux. Il décide même de marquer une minute de silence, après laquelle il va falloir faire un maximum de bruits, puis chanter, puis danser et surtout fêter la liberté. Les
Arènes
se retrouvant ainsi silencieuses pour un instant très solennel et vraiment émouvant… « Que dieu reste avec eux, toutes les victimes et leurs familles ».

Introduction du Set sur la musique du
Magicien
d’Oz
, avec les lettres du HEAVEN qui s’illuminent. Nous y voilà : le show Mikesque peut commencer ! Chaque chanson étant minutieusement mise en scène, pour le plus grand bonheur d’un public clairement fan… « Tout commence avec une note » nous dit-il. Ici la première note d’un
Big
Girl
empli d’écho. Et le voilà qui commence à sauter de partout, comme un diable sorti de sa boite Bien évidemment, la fosse embraye pour en faire autant et c’est tout simplement super beau à voir. Oui, les
Arènes
sont vraiment un lieu très particulier, parce que, comme il le dit : « Quand on chante, ça ressort vers le ciel. Alors il va falloir se mettre à bosser ! »

Le fameux trône rouge surmonté d’un M est enfin dévoilé devant un raz de marée de bras levés,
Mika
parcourant la scène réellement de bout en bout, pour surtout n’oublier personne. Sacré public que celui qui est là ce soir. Vraiment. Et c’est mérité au vue de la qualité du show qui lui est proposé … Rien à dire.

Il revient alors sur la petite note au commencement de tout. Celle qui peut représenter « La joie pure ». Il en bafouille même de plaisir, ce qui fait rire tout le monde. Il semble calme ainsi assis à son piano … Mais ça, jusqu’à ce qu’un jet de confettis ne jaillisse de l’instrument et gagne peu à peu les gradins au gré du vent, pour saluer le retour de tous ses musiciens. Et quel déhanché mes aïeux ! Attention
Mika
, il va y avoir des malaises Mais c’est le moins qu’il puisse faire pour introduire son
Boum
Boum
Boum
. Bon, perso, celle-ci, j’ai beau faire tous les efforts du monde, j’ai toujours trouvé que les paroles, c’est juste n’importe quoi (voire un peu navrant). Ceci étant, il nous en fait la démo à grand renfort de coups de cul. C’est simple : il faut enlever la veste, se recoiffer et surtout bouger son boule ! Et moi je pense que, comme il a conscience que cette chanson est ridicule, il a décidé de l’habiller en Live. Et il a bien raison.

Il va ainsi nous réserver quelques surprises, comme l’incontournable
Relax,
Take
It
Easy
qui commence en mode symphonique, bassiste debout sur le trône, qui nous offre ensuite un joli saut de cabri en prime. Sans oublier la reprise en chœur d’absolument tout le public (ce qui m’amuse toujours et me plait beaucoup, pour cette chanson communément présentée comme fortement gay friendly).

Mika
réapparait alors muni d’un énorme ballon géant, tel Atlas portant la terre sur son dos. Et c’est ensuite une multitude d’autres ballons, identiques ou plus petits, qui viennent se balader au-dessus des têtes du public, parvenant même jusqu’aux gradins pour certains.
Mika
venant en faire claquer un juste sur son clavier, l’arrosant ainsi des confettis qui en sortent, avec quelques fausses notes tapées au hasard pour le faire enrager … À la lueur de toutes la petites lumières créées par les smartphones de ceux qui ne sont pas occupés avec les ballons.

Il nous avoue être très heureux d’être ici, où il voulait donner un concert depuis bien longtemps. Et il fait éteindre toutes les lumières pour qu’il ne reste que nous, « à faire des étoiles qui chantent ». Ça marche à tous les coups dans ce lieu magique. Et même si on pourrait craindre d’en prendre l’habitude, qu’est-ce que c’est beau à chaque fois ! Surtout avec cette chorégraphie lumineuse orchestrée par maître
Mika
. Les garçons. Les filles. Puis tout le monde … Oui, magique et magnifique !

Les musiciens se placent tous autour de lui, excepté le claviériste. Tous tapant avec des baguettes sur le piano, transformé en percussion pour l’occasion. J’adore cet original et amusant
Lollipop
. Ils s’amusent bien tous les six. Faisant pétiller de plaisir le public. Et, comme il n’y avait pas de micro au temps des romains,
Mika
décide de chanter le final de
Happy
Ending
à capella. Ce qui est salué par un déchainement de pieds frappés sur le sol. Il remet alors sa veste et s’éclipse, nous laissant en tête à tête avec ses musiciens. Sa voix revenant avant lui … Mais au cœur des gradins cette fois ! Nous expliquant qu’il est trop vieux maintenant, et qu’il faut donc qu’on s’y mette tous, nous les gens élégants. Alors que faire, sinon s’exécuter. Surtout quand on le voit réapparaitre debout sur son piano, armé d’un drapeau français pris dans les premiers rangs, avant de nous saluer et de nous remercier pour notre bel accueil.

Pour la première chanson de rappel, il en a choisi une de
Joséphine
Baker
, si bien illustrée par le drapeau qu’il a gardé avec lui et qu’il accroche à son pied de micro. Enorme tube des années 20 qui le touche tout particulièrement, lui le fils d’une mère libano-syrienne et d’un père américain. Lui qui a posé une partie de son cœur et de son âme dans notre pays. Précisant avec humour que Paris est juste symbolique, « Faut pas se fâcher ! » Lumières bleu, blanc, rouge et ce drapeau qui vole. Très beau symbole en ces temps meurtris.

La dernière va ainsi commencer par « Everybody Loves Nîmes »,
Mika
transformé en percussionniste. Jetant ses baguettes dans le public quand il en a terminé avec son tambour. Faut-il rester élégant pour les 2 minutes qu’il reste ? Non ! On s’en fiche. On passe tous en mode « Auto Amour », avec drapeau géant au cœur rouge marqué d’un M blanc… Et je pense effectivement qu’on n’est jamais aussi bien servi que par soi-même ! Alors après avoir chanté, dansé, avoir été élégants et dans les étoiles, voilà qu’il nous suffit d’être ce que l’on veut, mais à fond ! Et ce, à grand renfort de confettis en veux-tu, en voilà. Un dernier merci à Nîmes et un salut en chœur, auxquels vont répondre le bon PoPoPoPoooo régional et un raffut de tous les diables à la force des pieds frappés de joie !

Composition

1. No Place In Heaven
  2. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)
  3. Talk About You
  4. Grace Kelly
  5. Boum Boum Boum
  6. Billy Brown
  7. Good Guys
  8. Relax, Take It Easy
  9. Staring At The Sun
  10. Underwater
  11. Lollipop
  12. Happy Ending
  13. Rain
  14. Elle Me Dit
  15. We Are Golden
  16. Rappel : J’ai Deux Amours (Joséphine Baker)
  17. Love Today

Date Limite de Consommation

• Ce concert s’inscrit dans la tournée Heaven Tour
  • Album défendu : No Place in Heaven

Site de Production

Site officiel : http://mikasounds.com

Ingrédients

• Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr aka Mika : Chant & Piano
  • Max Taylor : Basse & Clavier
  • Curtis Stansfield : Clavier, Clarinette & Guitare
  • Tristan Cassel : Guitare
  • Joy-Leah Joseph : Choeurs & Percussions
  • Ed Carlile  : Batterie

10PICS

post-18723-0-28173500-1472389048_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-26031500-1472389046_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-55232700-1472389043_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-78611600-1472389040_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-63151900-1472389038_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-07474900-1472388831_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-78144700-1472389050_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-05683700-1472388799_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-73276700-1472388796_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-08800400-1472388794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

I'm late but I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread :group_hug:

It is so moving to read your reports and see those wonderful pics and videos :tears:  :wub2: and thanks also for all the links to videos and awesome reviews :huglove:

Thanks a million for sharing and making me feel like I was there with you :hug:

Thanks to all of you from the bottom of my heart dear MFCers  :flowers2::huglove:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1

• silver changed the title to 2016 - Festival de Nimes France 16 July: Reports/Pics/Vids