Sharing Work Experiences

Irem Aytepe

I wanted to open this thread because I wonder work experiences. 

This summer I will be an intern. 40 days I will work. (I'm programming student) I'm so nervous about that.

Can anybody share an experience with me?

How can I act? What should I do?

I will work for the first time in my life. Probably next week, I will have gone for a job interview.

I'm nervous, nervous and nervous. What can I do?

If I had a grammar mistake, I'm sorry. Hope I could tell my problem.

• Like 2

If this is your first work experience, it's normal for you to be nervous, everyone goes through it and even your future employer.
 If he seems nice to you, you can even tell him.
You can take a small notebook and pencil in your pocket to write down what you will have to do as tasks. This will give you the opportunity to better memorize the process as the days go by.
Ask if you will have a referent, when you will have questions to ask and especially do not hesitate to ask them during your interview and during your work. Not only will you make fewer mistakes if you know what to do, but it will also show that you are motivated.
And as soon as this work is done, you will have an experience to add to your CV and you will be much less afraid next time.

Edited by Loo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi :bye:

First don't panick. I have the best memories of my first summer job. (As a cleaning lady and also serving meals in a rehab center for disabled or recovering people)

Just be natural and prepare the job interview ahead (with a family member you can rehearse as much as needed to feel relaxed on the big day)

On the first day you will have someone who will explain to you what you are supposed to do (or for  more days depending on the job)

If you are stressed you can take st John's wort pills so you will remain calm during the interview or even a few days before and an hour before the interview.

On the first day of work I think you should be as natural.as you can be and ask questions if you feel like you need more explanations or just stay quiet and listen well to remember what you're told since you can always ask questions later.

My first summer job experience was the best I ever had and I did it two summers in a row. I had very nice colleagues we had fun working together.

When I became a school teacher I realized my summer jobs were better. Being a teacher is lots of pressure and I ended up quiting in 2007 and becoming a nanny and I love spending my days with babies and I feel more useful (as in my summer job) than by managing huge groups of students who didn't think English was an important subject and that it would be useful for them in their job.

So a summer job is a very good experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself and the others. And it's only a summer job so you can gain experience and you lose nothing if you don't like it because it's only temporary.

I wish you a pleasant first time work experience :hug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Irem Aytepe said:

I wanted to open this thread because I wonder work experiences. 

This summer I will be an intern. 40 days I will work. (I'm programming student) I'm so nervous about that.

Can anybody share an experience with me?

How can I act? What should I do?

I will work for the first time in my life. Probably next week, I will have gone for a job interview.

I'm nervous, nervous and nervous. What can I do?

If I had a grammar mistake, I'm sorry. Hope I could tell my problem.

I would add just a couple of things.  First, when you find out the name of the company you have the interview with, do a little research on the internet to find out what they do.  Try to think of a couple of questions about the company, so you sound interested in their business.

Second, make sure you look neat and tidy - no wild hairstyles or unusual clothes.  My grandfather used to say the first thing interviewers notice about you are your hair, teeth and shoes :naughty:

Third, smile :original: They will expect you to be nervous so don't worry about that.  And if someone asks you a question, look at them when you answer.

Don't worry about this process, companies are used to having students on work experience.  I'm sure you will enjoy your time there, wherever you end up.  Like crazyaboutmika says, it's only temporary so see it as a learning opportunity.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, silver said:

I would add just a couple of things.  First, when you find out the name of the company you have the interview with, do a little research on the internet to find out what they do.  Try to think of a couple of questions about the company, so you sound interested in their business.

Second, make sure you look neat and tidy - no wild hairstyles or unusual clothes.  My grandfather used to say the first thing interviewers notice about you are your hair, teeth and shoes :naughty:

Third, smile :original: They will expect you to be nervous so don't worry about that.  And if someone asks you a question, look at them when you answer.

Don't worry about this process, companies are used to having students on work experience.  I'm sure you will enjoy your time there, wherever you end up.  Like crazyaboutmika says, it's only temporary so see it as a learning opportunity.

Thank you for pieces of advice 😋

In normal life, I wear so classically and my friends always say "İrem are you going to interview or something?" so I hope I will be good at this thing.

About smile, generally, I don't smile for foreign people. I look like an egoist. And yes I am. So it would be hard for me. I have to break my egoist face.

• Like 1

Girls gave you a very good tips! Even if I started working not long enough, I didn't go through typical job interview. When at school teacher is needed and you've got right qualifications and there is nobody else then you, you're just in. Of course I had to talk to headmaster of the school but it wasn't stressfull to me, I rather felt excited and curious how it's going to be since it was my first job in my profession. I just told the same what the lady already had in my documets which were what studies I have finished and what is my experience. The most stressfull was the first day of work. I was so nervous that I could make myself to faint or throw up. I have to admit that every day, before I was going to conduct the lessons, I had a stomach ache plus two classes, just like @crazyaboutmika said, weren't interested at all in learning English and before we even started lessons kids were saying that it's boring :emot-sad: Thank God I was working there only for 2 months! When I started my current job, also as a teacher, I got twice as much work as previously, because I'm teaching English and leading first primary class. I had the same talk with headmaster of the school and it just started. It's much better now. I've got nice colegues, kids are hungry for knowledge. My class was difficult at first but I figure out how to work with them. And I have to say that I wasn't stressed, not one day during this second job. Well, maybe I was stressed or nervous but because different situations with kids, not that I'm worry about my work :biggrin2:

As you see, we all can have completely different experiences, so you can expect eeeeeverything.

Wish you all the best at your first job! :wink2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dominika said:

Girls gave you a very good tips! Even if I started working not long enough, I didn't go through typical job interview. When at school teacher is needed and you've got right qualifications and there is nobody else then you, you're just in. Of course I had to talk to headmaster of the school but it wasn't stressfull to me, I rather felt excited and curious how it's going to be since it was my first job in my profession. I just told the same what the lady already had in my documets which were what studies I have finished and what is my experience. The most stressfull was the first day of work. I was so nervous that I could make myself to faint or throw up. I have to admit that every day, before I was going to conduct the lessons, I had a stomach ache plus two classes, just like @crazyaboutmika said, weren't interested at all in learning English and before we even started lessons kids were saying that it's boring :emot-sad: Thank God I was working there only for 2 months! When I started my current job, also as a teacher, I got twice as much work as previously, because I'm teaching English and leading first primary class. I had the same talk with headmaster of the school and it just started. It's much better now. I've got nice colegues, kids are hungry for knowledge. My class was difficult at first but I figure out how to work with them. And I have to say that I wasn't stressed, not one day during this second job. Well, maybe I was stressed or nervous but because different situations with kids, not that I'm worry about my work :biggrin2:

As you see, we all can have completely different experiences, so you can expect eeeeeverything.

Wish you all the best at your first job! :wink2:

Thank you Dominika for sharing your experience with me.

I think you are the best teacher, if you were my teacher i would study more :D 

You told that you had a stomach ache, same with me. When I'm nervous or exciting my stomach always like this, we have to solve it :cheerful_h4h:

• Like 1

Irem, I would like to come back to the smile.
It's something important; and look how well Mika understood it!  That's certainly why you chose it as your signature.  :biggrin2:

When you smile, it's communicative, the people around you feel better and smile too. The smile is a form of letting go intended to paralyze our aggressive impulses and neutralize those that the other may feel towards us. It's a sign of appeasement.
In addition, it activates molecules in the brain that make people happy and reduce stress.
 That's why some therapies ask people to force themselves to smile even if they don't want to, all day long and it ends up becoming a habit.
You could try, to see if it works with you and how others perceive you. :wink2:

• Haha 1