Meaning of Apocalypse Calypso.

RAK1

As we talked about on the Insta live tonight, the new tour has an interesting name.

I found this online, but I'm sure there are many meanings.

I'm sure this will be an interesting discussion.

https://eu.providencejournal.com/story/opinion/2014/01/13/20140113-stanley-m-aronson-our-apocalyptic-options-eradication-doom-or-oblivion-ece/35374924007/#:~:text=The name Calypso%2C from a,%2C John (6-c.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RAK1 said:

As we talked about on the Insta live tonight, the new tour has an interesting name.

https://eu.providencejournal.com/story/opinion/2014/01/13/20140113-stanley-m-aronson-our-apocalyptic-options-eradication-doom-or-oblivion-ece/35374924007/#:~:text=The name Calypso%2C from a,%2C John (6-c.

Thanks, Rose. Very interesting.

I found this paragraph especially relevant:

Another mechanism for the swift eradication of humanity is a global pandemic caused by some exotic virus originating in a primitive village in southern Madagascar. In this variant of the apocalyptic tale, the hero may also be afflicted; but somehow he survives to contemplate a world now dominated by anthropoid creatures suddenly learning to converse in English.

I was definitely thinking of "apocalypse" in terms of it being "the end of the world", juxtaposed with Calypso, which I know as rather happy Caribbean music. As someone said on the Live, it's sort of reminiscent of "if it's the end of the world, let's party" idea.

I'll be interested to hear what others think and if Mika ever actually explains in a little more in detail.

• Like 4

Graham Roos was involved in a project with The Guardian newspaper and the Royal Opera House called "Songs of the Zeitgeist" which I think was about turning headlines into songs.  It's possible that Mika saw a performance of this.

Apocalypse Calypso followed on from this and again Mika may have read the book

image.jpeg.189ad0b05b56677b8e809a7faef9ab74.jpeg

But I have a sneaking feeling that Mika just liked the sound of the words rather than  there being a particular reason for choosing the name (much like the Imaginarium Tour).

• Like 2

I’m none the wiser🙈………..and I can’t believe that Mika would choose “Apocalypse Calypso” for his next tour just because!!!!!!!!!!! There has to be a deeper meaning………

11 hours ago, Patricia Birden said:

I’m none the wiser🙈………..and I can’t believe that Mika would choose “Apocalypse Calypso” for his next tour just because!!!!!!!!!!! There has to be a deeper meaning………

Well, there might be ....  but I guess we will have to wait until Mika explains it to us!

15 hours ago, RAK1 said:

I particularly find these 2 paragraphs interesting:

The Greek Titan, Atlas, sired a daughter named Calypso, a sea nymph. Calypso, and her beguiling music, enticed Odysseus to delay his voyage (his odyssey) home and to Penelope, his wife. And for seven years Odysseus dallied on the isle of Ogygia, allegedly missing Penelope yet utterly entranced by Calypso and her music.

Zeus finally declared that this sabbatical was counterproductive. Odysseus, the lone survivor of his fabled crew, went back to sea to reunite with Penelope.

The name Calypso, from a Greek root meaning to hide, to make secret, also came to define a form of Caribbean music. And then, with the prefix apo-, the Greek word apocalypse, meaning an uncovering, a revelation. 

Odysseus was kept from his loved one by Calypso and her music. And the original meaning of apocalypse is Revelation. Revelation tour. Music being Mika's #1 in life. I think it's not just random, but has a variety of meanings. Would be interesting tho where this came from for Mika. Did he start with the title, because it offers so many interpretations? With the story of Odysseus? Or with a piece of Calypso music? With lyrics about the Apocalypse? A song starts with an idea, could be either of these (or even something else), and develops from there, you might keep finding new things and getting more ideas during the writing process, until you might have so many layers and meanings that you can't even bring them all across in one song. Anyway, a song is something multidimensional, and especially in this case I don't think it has that ONE meaning. It surely has a starting idea and a certain (original) intention, that is true. I assume the lyrics might tell us more, maybe the shows will, maybe Mika will. We do have some of the lyrics already (talking about it on the album thread in Music & Artwork), they seem to be about love and connection and resistance, but the few snippets we have so far also don't make clearer what idea this song is based on.

Can I just say that I love this part where we are interpreting everything and hope to see little hints and signs (and actual explanations) from Mika himself :biggrin2: 

I do have to admit that I prefer when he isn’t 100% clear about it, because then we all can give our own meaning to it and will attend the concerts with an open mind and a chance to be surprised. Or even change our interpretation based on what we see and hear. I personally absolutely love that about his concerts. Like he did with the tiger head: it wasn’t until almost the end of the tour that he explained to us what it means to him. What it symbolizes.