2007 -- Metro: 'I'm the world's worst karaoke singer'

Cautionary Wife

TUESDAY METRO

'I'm the world's worst karaoke singer'

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mika isn't a conventional musician. His incredulous life history to date, five-octave vocal range, unruly hair and neatly manicured nails ensure that he isn't your average pop star.

When Simon Cowell says he's "strange", there's a part of you that has to agree.

"He told me that my songs were strange - he said something to the effect that I might as well not bother," says Mika, smiling.

"At the same time, he said I had a distinctive voice and that could help me out. I got upset to a point, but at the same time, I realised he was clearly not the person to work with me. This was before his Pop Idol fame.

"I understood early on that this is someone who spends his life looking for singers to sing projects he has already created, and that would have been a disaster for me to work too closely with someone like that. But I saw him at a party recently and he congratulated me."

Luckily, Mika (pronounced Mee-ka) wasn't put off by Simon's comments, but he says he'd never go on the X Factor.

"Music speaks for itself, egos just get in the way of it. If I went on the show, I'd be kicked out in the first round! I certainly wouldn't make it into the later stages," the 23-year-old says.

"I'm the worst karaoke singer in the world - that's why I write songs that are practically impossible to be sung in karaoke."

Born in Beirut, Mika and his family emigrated to Paris as self-imposed exiles because of the civil war. They settled in London when he was nine.

"Moving here was hard. I went to a French school when I first came here and had a really hard time," he admits.

"Moving over to the English system was better because they were more sympathetic to my dyslexia. I was bullied, and verbally abused."

Rather than fighting the bullies, Mika coped by writing songs to deal with his feelings.

"I dealt with it quite passively, much in the same way as when I went in for a meeting with a music company in London after they heard a demo of mine, and they sat down for an hour telling me how I had to write songs like everybody else in order to be accepted," he says.

"I got angry and wrote Grace Kelly when I got home. They never called me back but two years later, the song is doing so well. The song says 'here's the middle finger and the time has proven my point'.

"I could have been brash and loud and rude and told them to f*** off, but I didn't, I put it in the song instead, and then it worked for me. It's the perfect example of this passive aggression that I seem to practise in my life."

CW.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 years later...
Luckily, Mika (pronounced Mee-ka) wasn't put off by Simon's comments, but he says he'd never go on the X Factor.

Cough ahem :sneaky2:

So what do we learn out of this? The old wisdom " never say never!" my old mother always used to say :wink2:

Cough ahem :sneaky2:

And Mika should have most definitely stuck to that, then people all over the world wouldn't be asking whatever happened to Mika? guess he was a one hit wonder !!!! :( :( waste of a pure pop stars amazing talent imo :( :(

And Mika should have most definitely stuck to that, then people all over the world wouldn't be asking whatever happened to Mika? guess he was a one hit wonder !!!! :( :( waste of a pure pop stars amazing talent imo :( :(

it was the same before he did XF but now France and Italy know he is still there.

it was the same before he did XF but now France and Italy know he is still there.

Only through the fault of his record label, he had just done the most amazing NA tour, and he should have taken it around the world, then he wouldn't be in this situation now, having to resort to doing these shows, which cut him off from the most important thing, the rest of the world

Every time he announces another one of these shows, he pushes more fans away, and by fans I mean fans of Mika the singer songwriter, the reason why most of us have been here from the beginning, not the celebrity tv judge fans where most will be here today, and gone tomorrow when the next celebrity takes his place. That's taking into account that he's not going to make a career change and do these shows for the foreseeable future. But if Mika is happy just to have a career in 2 countries in Europe, then that's his choice.But we will all have to wait for this next announcement and see what happens, fingers crossed he won't disappoint his fans again. :crossed: :crossed:

I agree. I know I've been supportive of his decision to do X Factor and The Voice, but I thought, once he established himself in those countries, he'd move on and do something in the UK, or maybe USA. Somewhere he could re-connect with his English speaking fans again.

I'm very sad if he's doing The Voice again in France. He worked so hard for his music career in the UK, and now he's letting it all go down the toilet.