Mika break

JackViolet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does interest me, is I have noticed a lot of the people attracted to Mika are 30ish women. I would have expected a younger crowd.

I just notice today [and last week] that a LOT in my school [high school] LOOVE Mika.

[Especially me an Sunny :blush-anim-cl: We looove his curls :naughty: ]

So there arent just 30ish women :bleh:

I dont know why there arent a lot of "us" here :blink:

Maybe its because its hard finding this forum...i googled him and MFC werent on the first few pages or watevrr xD

[And i really think the forum should be in the first few pages on google :)]

Yes, why does he appeal so much to us thirtysomethings? I have thought a lot about this and still can't come up with a rational explanation! Although my husband just suspects I'm entering my mid-life crisis phase (grrrr)..

I think it's part mid-life crisis and part is Mika's '80s appeal. The '80s is when you had all those great young solo pop artists - Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael. David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Elton John were still in their prime. We just haven't seen anyone like Mika in 20 years.

I guess Robbie Williams and Justin Timberlake fall into that category but they're post-boyband so for people my age there was never the same enthusiasm for them as you had for younger fans of Take That and NSync.

I lived in London in the late 90s and I was so sick of the boyband/girlband/boy-girlband thing that I mostly listened to trance and other clubbing music. That's when I started feeling too old for pop music. I don't think I was really too old. The music was just so lame and marketed to 14 year olds.

Paolo Nutini, Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse and of course Mika have really revived my enthusiasm for pop music. I think Amy Winehouse and Mika especially appeal to our generation because they a sense of life experience about them and could pass for early 30s in photos and videos.

Mika Mika Mika Mika. MikaMikaMikaMika. Miiika. Mikaaa. Mikaaaaaaaa. MikaMikaMikaMikaMikaMika. Mika Mika Mika. Miiiiiiika.

My live looks like that since I heard his song the first time :mf_lustslow:. And I'm listening ALL the time.

Mika. MikaMikaMika. MikaMika. Miiiiiiiiika! Mikaaaaaaaaaa... Mika. Mika. MIKA. MIKAMIKA MIKA MIKA. MikaMikaMika.

I have been, well, let's use the word OBSESSED, with Mika, for quite some time now (NOT in a creepy way, honest). I talk about him whenever I get the chance and when he started getting played on the radio, I would get so pumped every single time he came on. One couldn't possibly think that I could fall in love with him anymore than I already have... and then it happened.

I saw him live and then met him and I've been so much worse ever since. Now, all I do is think about him... all the time. I feel as if this relationship I have with him is like a drug... and believe me, I'm NOT interested in kicking the habit soon! VIVA MIKA. :naughty::mf_lustslow:

I think it's part mid-life crisis and part is Mika's '80s appeal. The '80s is when you had all those great young solo pop artists - Prince, Michael Jackson, George Michael. David Bowie, Freddie Mercury and Elton John were still in their prime. We just haven't seen anyone like Mika in 20 years.

I guess Robbie Williams and Justin Timberlake fall into that category but they're post-boyband so for people my age there was never the same enthusiasm for them as you had for younger fans of Take That and NSync.

I lived in London in the late 90s and I was so sick of the boyband/girlband/boy-girlband thing that I mostly listened to trance and other clubbing music. That's when I started feeling too old for pop music. I don't think I was really too old. The music was just so lame and marketed to 14 year olds.

Paolo Nutini, Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse and of course Mika have really revived my enthusiasm for pop music. I think Amy Winehouse and Mika especially appeal to our generation because they a sense of life experience about them and could pass for early 30s in photos and videos.

Thanks, Christine. You have expresed what I was feeling, but couldn't quite articulate.

I agree with you about Mika being something unique for these past 20 years, and also with what you said about him (and others) rekindling your interest in pop music. And it's true, the late 90s/early 00s were a poor time for pop! I don't think I listened to anything contemporary at the time!

I have tried a couple of times to stop listening to LICM.

First time was a run to Wales, on the way back I popped in JC Chasez's Schizophrenic CD, which was my last obsession before Mika, and although it was great hearing it again, when it finished, LICM was straight back on.

The next time was a couple of weeks back, and I put on Queens A Night at the Opera CD, not for the obvious, but for '39 which is my favourite track on it and which Brian sings quite beautifully. But again once finished my hands scrabbled around to get the Mika CD back on. I think I'm going to soon need to see a shrink, because I got a few CDs at Christmas and haven't played any of them yet, because of this Mika fever I have contracted, trouble is I don't want to be cured.

Ok I think I have it.

The answer to the big question. Why does Mika turn 30ish, normally sane women into a dribbling mess, with the inability to have conversations that dont start with "Mika"

Its in the video of "Love today"

Very clever man our Mika.

He has included a subliminal message, thats what the spiro display is in the background.

Great now that is answered, and we all know there is now no cure, we can get on with enjoying our "Mika obsession"

wow. whenever i think of mika, i to ALWAYS go ' mikamikamikamikamika!'

does everyone do that? hahahaha

I hope so! It's so fun to do!

As for the MarcMarcMarc I was talking about, it's Marc Bolan. Even though I'm Mika's age, I bet it'll be the 30-ish ladies here who know who he is. :wink2:

I am a bowie fan, when im not being distracted by Mika. And we are used to being obsessed, and having friends roll there eyes everytime you mention his name.

Ha, I am a Bowie fan too, quite. And yes, I have multiple copies of his albums. (It's the damn reissues! Plus you need to have the vinyl--playing Ziggy "full volume" on a CD player just doesn't cut it!) I guess I'm an honorary 30-something?

Yes I remeber Marc Bolan! I'm a bit too young to have been a fan (I remember when he died, I was 8 I think, and I remember the TV show he had) but I've always thought that if I'd been a teenager in his heyday I bet I would have had the biggest crush on him!

Maybe it's the curly haired thing, or the androgynous thing, but he is a bit Mika-ish...

Maybe it's the curly haired thing, or the androgynous thing, but he is a bit Mika-ish...

Hahah, how else do you think I discovered Mika? :blush-anim-cl:

Well, actually I had been waxing poetic about Queen's wonderful song '39, and my sister linked me to Mika's Grace Kelly video, and of course I had to pay attention to the singer with the curly hair!

By the way, Mika's curls also remind me a bit of a young Syd Barrett...

sydbarrett04.jpg

I guess I just love all the ones with the dark curly hair. ;-)

Hahah, how else do you think I discovered Mika? :blush-anim-cl:

Well, actually I had been waxing poetic about Queen's wonderful song '39, and my sister linked me to Mika's Grace Kelly video, and of course I had to pay attention to the singer with the curly hair!

By the way, Mika's curls also remind me a bit of a young Syd Barrett...

sydbarrett04.jpg

I guess I just love all the ones with the dark curly hair. ;-)

Oooh!

My husband is a big Pink Floyd fan but I don't know all that much about them and certainly never realised Syd Barrett had those luscious locks!

Er, it's just dawning on me that I like dark curly hair!:blush-anim-cl:

And with your musical references you definitely are an honorary thirtysomething. Just remeber that the 30s are the new 20s...:naughty: That's what keeps me going anyway...

We are in the wrong thread here - there is a Curly Fry Fanclub, I believe. I should go there!

Ha, I am a Bowie fan too, quite. And yes, I have multiple copies of his albums. (It's the damn reissues! Plus you need to have the vinyl--playing Ziggy "full volume" on a CD player just doesn't cut it!) I guess I'm an honorary 30-something?

LOL, I have a friend who has the usual 3x's ziggy albums, but also she bought another CD copy just because the cover had rounded edges. :wink2: but its ok she could justify it because it was on special :sneaky2:

LOL, I have a friend who has the usual 3x's ziggy albums, but also she bought another CD copy just because the cover had rounded edges. :wink2: but its ok she could justify it because it was on special :sneaky2:

Ha, I got some of my albums signed by Tony Visconti recently, and am contemplating getting new ones, so that I could have a signed copy and a "clean" copy. :bleh:

You shouldn't ask me how many copies of the movie "Velvet Goldmine" I own!

i know exactly what u mean..i was away for an entire week with no internet, no ipod, no nothing...but the time out seemed to make it even worse

if by chance, and it did happen quite a few times, i heard mika on the radio in a cab or store or whatever, i would go like mika mika mika!, jump up and down like a maniac and plant a huge crazy grin on my face ...:insane: ! and i was there with a bunch of guys who had no idea who he was and were completely flabbergasted by this display so i had no choice but to talk about him 24/7:D(well, not really...i would have only i knew i had to spend the rest of the trip with em and couldnt afford to have them think i am an obsessed freak:insane:) and the same thing happened when i walked into a music store and saw piles of licm cds...thankfully i got back just in time, before i totally lost it and everythin is back to normal now:bleh:

I hvnt even tried going without mika cause i kno i cnt and wat makes it worse is that nobody , i mean noone at all is obsessed around me. quote "turn that racket off " so i jst go and play it on the piano. Big thnks to ben (piano teacher) who transcripted them. I seem to be able to link all conversations too him, with frnds like mine ( not mika maniacs) you do not get a reply

:mf_lustslow: :mf_lustslow: :mf_lustslow:

BET YOU CNT ERASE MY TOUCH

haha im pretty sure my grades are going down because i cant stop listening to Mikas awesome music!! i cant tear myself away! hes so gorgeous and my best friend and i are obsessed with him...I get so angry when people dont know who he is when i talk about him because nobody really knows him here (around buffalo ny) I cant stop talking or thinking about his awesomeness and i NEED to see him in concert or i will die so he needs to come here sooooooooooon!!!!!

Ok I think I have it.

The answer to the big question. Why does Mika turn 30ish, normally sane women into a dribbling mess, with the inability to have conversations that dont start with "Mika"

Its in the video of "Love today"

Very clever man our Mika.

He has included a subliminal message, thats what the spiro display is in the background.

Great now that is answered, and we all know there is now no cure, we can get on with enjoying our "Mika obsession"

That's a very clever analysis! I think you've got it! :thumb_yello:

I can just see it now:

Step right up! See Mika, the Hypnotist! He's got a few tricks up his sleeve but what's the most impressive? The ability to make grown women act like the screaming girls of the beatlemania era.

BABE! :naughty:

Okay... now I HAVE to take a break from this site... because I want to ? Heck no !!!! Because I HAVE too.... I'm in my finals for the last time, I'm going to graduate next week... I still have 4 exams to go and I haven't studied enough because I'm always here, this place is so addictive ! (and the people so nice :)). I know my exams are gonna be sooooooo hard and I have to cut down on MFC for a week unless I won't be ready...

Sooooo you're prolly not gonna see me here for an entire week ! Will I be able to do it... The answer is NO of course !!! hahaha !!! I'm so afraid I might be missing out on something important and all...

So here's what I'm going to try to do... Come here everyday but for like half an hour tops each day... ouch !!! hard !!!

But it has to be done, so I do well on my exams...

So there I go, wish me luck y'all and please PM me or myspace me if there's some info or anything that you think that I have to know !!!

Lollipops to all of you !!!

oooh good luck sunshine!! ;)

this is soo hard!! everyday, there is ALWAYS Mika here and there.

and even though I wasnt here in MFC, Mika is on tv/radio or even someone sings his songs!! O_O

EVERYDAY

like on Friday, we were watching Ice Dance, they were dancing to Grace Kelly.

And when this couple left, Happy Ending was playing

And on Saturday, I was at a friend and his dad kept singing Grace Kelly

And today, Mika was #1 on the VH1 weekly album chart!!

....its hard XD

To not be obsessed with Mika...sounds absolutely horrible.

I am nto as bad as some of my friends mind you..But after about three days of not listening to him I get the urge.

Oh and...I think when I do laundry at work whomever is working front desk gets annoyed and slams the door shut.

They have all decided I am completely out of my mind....

THey just need thier heads checked is all. : )