Mika Conquered The World -- Billboard.com

iadoremika

Do you think he doesn't want to meet fans in the near future ?

I thought he meant he wants to get rid of the gifts he received :boxed:

Maybe he means he doesn't want to meet fans outside his house?

Vanessa hasn't your hair got long!!

Do you think he doesn't want to meet fans in the near future ?

I thought he meant he wants to get rid of the gifts he received :boxed:

erm...I am afraid I have lost my shade of power of understanding Mika for some time now...:blink::blush-anim-cl:

Very nice article:biggrin2:

Won't be able to hear Mika Day though.. If it was a tuesday...:sad:

Don't worry, someone can always record it. Plus, since it's on BBC Radio, it'll be up soon after to listen to again :wink2:

I won't be able to listen the day of either. F*ck school :shun:

Don't worry, someone can always record it. Plus, since it's on BBC Radio, it'll be up soon after to listen to again :wink2:

I won't be able to listen the day of either. F*ck school :shun:

You're right:bleh: I always like to panic about these things:naughty:

Yeah to me it's also school that's stopping me:sneaky2:

Thanks for posting this - a great article! Interesting times ahead! I so hope he gets his wish and cracks the American market this time around.

And looking forward to R1 Mika-Day on the 28th (although, working in a school, I also won't be able to listen to it 'live' either, darn it!)

Yes , but having radio play = selling albums = money for Universal :naughty:(and for Mika :aah: ) excuse my dumbness but isn't Universal american ? :loco:

Their Americanness doesn't have any impact on whether radio stations play Mika's music or not. It's a free country, not a communist state. If radio programmers don't want to play his music, they won't. :naughty:

Well I guess Universal could pay radio stations to play his music, but I've heard they're cheap :teehee:

It is extremely unethical for people to take compensation for playing music on the radio to the point where I think it's actually illegal in the US. There was a DJ in the 60s who was indicted for accepting payola.

If he has to change too much to appeal to a different audience, he won't be the artist I have come to love.

I guess that's life though and I will have to deal with it if it happens.

Well I get the sense from this article and from Mika's WAG video (among other things), that Mika is not necessarily as motivated and willing to do anything to break into the states as this record company guy is.

Of course Lipman wants a piece of the UK/France action for himself. He'd probably love for Mika to do nothing but pound the pavement in the US for the next year. But Mika doesn't covet the UK and French success in the same way because he's already enjoying it. I doubt he's willing to gamble it all on success in the US by neglecting his established audience. I don't know if he's going to focus so much on the US in terms of time commitment or by changing into something other than what European fans fell in love with as much as his American record company would like him to.

Mika's quote about expecting the same reaction from US radio this time around sounds like he's not really counting on blowing the US market wide open with this album. Of course if it does happen he likely will end up concentrating more on the US but I don't think he's going to whore himself to get to that point.

Maybe this "October US tour" is just a marketing tour like he's doing in the UK at the moment? I just don't want to get too excited for nothing....

Yes you may be right. Hopefully there are at least a couple of promo gigs thrown in there but I don't know if it's going to be the kind of tour we saw in early 2008.

I just hope we find out soon and not in late September. :aah:

I agree with this. I know it's business and how the world works etc etc, but it's so cold and clinical.

My reaction to Mika's music is emotional, of course and this kind of article bursts my little bubble.

That's what I was talking about. As a fan, I'm not too keen on learning the behind the scenes of the making of a pop superstar:naughty:

But then again, you've made me think,

Well the American market is monstrous so it requires a monstrous machine. Look at the elections process in the US. It's insane. It takes a lot of hype to convince 300 million people to do something. :naughty:

I don't think the intention is to so much shove Mika into the faces of the public, but into the faces of the people who control radio. It seems they pretty much conspired to keep him off radio last time and their excuse has been that the public doesn't want to hear it. It sounds like they feel they can prove otherwise with evidence of his single and concert sales. Their plan sounds calculated and a bit manipulative but you have to fight fire with fire.

I totally disagree. The only reason I ever heard of Mika is because some record label marketing type gave up on Alberta radio and arranged to have the Grace Kelly video playing in movie theatres before the trailers came on, when I went to see Spiderman 3.

I'm sure there are loads of other people in both the US and Canada who would love Mika's music...if they knew he existed.

We're in a vacuum here in Western Canada. None of my friends had heard of all these artists that are so successful overseas - Mika, Calvin Harris, Tinchy Stryder, La Roux, Scouting for Girls, Lily Allen etc - until I told them about this music. And I'd bet that a lot of the US is the same way.

The north american market is a different world, and you have to scream really loud to be heard among all the hip hop rapping sounds. Well...Mika is quite capable of screaming:naughty:

The north american market is a different world, and you have to scream really loud to be heard among all the hip hop rapping sounds. Well...Mika is quite capable of screaming:naughty:

He could also try a bit of R&B or rap himself and make a video with girls wearing no clothes. That would work, no? :teehee:

Their Americanness doesn't have any impact on whether radio stations play Mika's music or not. It's a free country, not a communist state. If radio programmers don't want to play his music, they won't. :naughty:

It is extremely unethical for people to take compensation for playing music on the radio to the point where I think it's actually illegal in the US. There was a DJ in the 60s who was indicted for accepting payola.

Well I get the sense from this article and from Mika's WAG video (among other things), that Mika is not necessarily as motivated and willing to do anything to break into the states as this record company guy is.

Of course Lipman wants a piece of the UK/France action for himself. He'd probably love for Mika to do nothing but pound the pavement in the US for the next year. But Mika doesn't covet the UK and French success in the same way because he's already enjoying it. I doubt he's willing to gamble it all on success in the US by neglecting his established audience. I don't know if he's going to focus so much on the US in terms of time commitment or by changing into something other than what European fans fell in love with as much as his American record company would like him to.

Mika's quote about expecting the same reaction from US radio this time around sounds like he's not really counting on blowing the US market wide open with this album. Of course if it does happen he likely will end up concentrating more on the US but I don't think he's going to whore himself to get to that point.

I don't think anyone needs to worry that Mika will change to suit the American market. If he was going to do that, first of all, he wouldn't have made the video he made for WAG. It's great, but it's as camp as Christmas and a lot of Americans would think that, and maybe wouldn't accept it. He also wouldn't have put Toy Boy on the album, because with LICM, a lot of the American media didn't like Billy Brown, and Toy Boy is in the same vein.

But if Mika does conquer America, simply being himself the way we love him to be, he will have done it honestly, and that would be fantastic.

If he has to change too much to appeal to a different audience, he won't be the artist I have come to love.

That was my fear exactly when I first heard WAG.... :blink:

However, after the 3rd or 4th listening and especially AFTER THE VIDEO CAME OUT I knew we do not need to be afraid and that he will be true to himself:wink2: ....I am not going to go to any further expalnation but completely agree with Christine when she referred to the same thing basically:

... or he might be motivated and willing but is not ready to give up his principles and quite rightly so:wink2:

I still think they should have released Erase in the States.

... I agree that it was easily the most US radio-friendly, typical middle-of the-road song that could have been a relatively easy win in the States in 2007. The problem with it is that it is not a 'Mika song'. It's a song that suits anyone at any time, any decade and could as well have been recorded by Robbie Williams, Kelly Clarkson or Bon Jovi...:cool:... absolutely no uniqueness in the song itself..

So, although I do understand what you say and 'sales-wise' I agree, ( I think I actually posted the same opinion on MS 2 yrs ago) but of course Mika does not need to make such compromises as he is not just any artist off the conveyor belt..

... or he might be motivated and willing but is not ready to give up his principles and quite rightly so:wink2:

Well if he is not ready to give up his principles then I'd say he's not willing to do whatever it takes. We all know Mika is capable of doing things that would make him more appealing to an American audience but regardless of what his record company says I don't see any evidence of that as the motivation behind Mika's artistic and stylistic choices.

Well if he is not ready to give up his principles then I'd say he's not willing to do whatever it takes. We all know Mika is capable of doing things that would make him more appealing to an American audience but regardless of what his record company says I don't see any evidence of that as the motivation behind Mika's artistic and stylistic choices.

:thumb_yello:... yes, that's how I understood it first as well, my additional comment was not needed really :wink2:.

I don't think anyone needs to worry that Mika will change to suit the American market. If he was going to do that, first of all, he wouldn't have made the video he made for WAG. It's great, but it's as camp as Christmas and a lot of Americans would think that, and maybe wouldn't accept it. He also wouldn't have put Toy Boy on the album, because with LICM, a lot of the American media didn't like Billy Brown, and Toy Boy is in the same vein.

:roftl:

But if Mika does conquer America, simply being himself the way we love him to be, he will have done it honestly, and that would be fantastic.

:thumb_yello:

I so wish this miracle to happen :blush-anim-cl: