2010 - Mika @ Fringe Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland - 23 AUG - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And in wet blanket mode, I have to point that Warsaw is a festival and he's only on for an hour.

well timed .. i need the wet blanket to dampen my spirits......

oh well :aah:

they'll be others ... :tears:

I'm back from lovely Edinburgh too!!! Thanks to everyone for the reports, pics and vids

Can't add really much to the gig reports, everything has been perfectly summed up. I was front row on JiMMas side and had a blast together with Ilse and Caroline! So much fun. I missed the slower songs like AOW, Toyboy and ISY, also GGG. But i'm happy that i finally saw Kick Ass live!! So powerful - overall i felt more exhausted after this gig than after a whole day at the gym :roftl:

Apart from Mika, meeting all you fabulous MFCers was so worth the trip to Scotland!!! Can't mention every single one by name, but i had a great time at the sunday meet up castle tour, the evening at the pub and during the queueing on monday. I was so happy to finally meet so many MFCers in person with whom i've only chatted on MFC or tweeted before. Such a lovely experience and i already miss you guys!! Special thanks though to Vicky for organizing the meet up on sunday. You are gorgeous, i fell in love with your hometown and with you (and Neil is adorable too!)

Love you too, Sweetie! And i totally understand that Scotsman John fell for you and wanted to marry you...allow me to post that adorable pic :naughty:

carolinejohn.jpg

All your pics are amazing by the way

Awww, i'm really sorry for being so tall... very relieved you had quite a good view anyway. Was a pleasure to meet you!!

Thanks so much Caroline for that pic...

Ok, you can love me now...

ingieluke.jpg

It was great to meet you and i knew you were so happy to come to Edinburgh ...i'm so gald you had fun ..i could tell the whole time you were smiling!!:biggrin2:

Neil really enjoyed the sunday and the monday night ....he liked seeeing what i get such a buzz from and he even had to admit Mika put on a great show ...

when we all said he was quite tired looking ...he said " eh , what the guy bounced around the stage for nearly 2 hrs!! " true:aah:

Ah, but it's not all about him.

We can go out and get legless, on Schnapps, afterwardsCOLOR]

do they do that in damson flava?!:sneaky2:

Still in love with David then? Is he moving into the castle with you?

I did indeed :naughty: I knew it was wrong but it's Friday and I couldn't get my head around it :naughty:

Well he did suggest it, but i feel it's a bit early yet ....:teehee::

well timed .. i need the wet blanket to dampen my spirits......

oh well :aah:

they'll be others ... :tears:

It was great to meet you and i knew you were so happy to come to Edinburgh ...i'm so gald you had fun ..i could tell the whole time you were smiling!!:biggrin2:

Neil really enjoyed the sunday and the monday night ....he liked seeeing what i get such a buzz from and he even had to admit Mika put on a great show ...

when we all said he was quite tired looking ...he said " eh , what the guy bounced around the stage for nearly 2 hrs!! " true:aah:

do they do that in damson flava?!:sneaky2:

Well he did suggest it, but i feel it's a bit early yet ....:teehee::

They damn well better do!:naughty:

Vicky.................you've hugged the man at least twice............surely that is grounds to move in together?

I am glad that Neil really enjoyed it.................but I am sad that I didn't even see him.

Sometimes I wonder what I do with myself :blink:

Vicky.................you've hugged the man at least twice............surely that is grounds to move in together?

I am glad that Neil really enjoyed it.................but I am sad that I didn't even see him.

Sometimes I wonder what I do with myself :blink:

You were pretty occupied:wink2:

I felt it was all such a whirlwind day .....

We'll meet soon:wink2:

You were pretty occupied:wink2:

I felt it was all such a whirlwind day .....

We'll meet soon:wink2:

Yes but AFTERWARDS, when Wendy had left in the taxi............and you were blind drunk .......................wasn't Neil there then?

Now, I always write long reports, but for this one I will spare you the details of the lead up to the day. Suffice to say, I’d been on a road trip of my own driving over 5 days from Lancashire to Sussex, to Hampshire, to Devon, sleeping for 2 nights in a tent at a festival and staying at a friend’s before getting the flight from Exeter to Edinburgh.

My plane had propellers and I had a perfect view of the wheels as we touched down and taxied through the rain with the spay splashing out. I caught a bus and hailed a taxi with ease and arrived at Vicky’s in time for a mega cooked breakfast and a sewing circle, fixing the kilts on my T shirt.

We had updates about the queue and decided we’d better join it before there were 100 people in it. Jen drove us in her car (thankyou so much ) We parked under the castle and joined the queue. I was number 30 but I could have arrived 2 hours later and not been much over 40. We are fools to ourselves! Still, a lovely lady and her twin 15 year old daughters just beat us into the queue and as well as meeting up with friends and familiar faces it was great to make a new friend. Hi to Jane, Emma and Tilly if you’re reading this.

O.K. It rained A LOT while we queued, but it was self-inflicted queuing from mid day and almost totally unnecessary. It was cold, for August, which wasn’t great. We didn’t do any group shots in our T shirts and we all looked a bit bedraggled. The venue staff were a bit bossy too and put us behind a barrier very early on. Luckily the doors for wheelchair access made a good shelter. There were shops nearby so I had a lovely cheese & tomato toastie. After they’d moved the start of the queue and put the barrier up, I got twitchy about having my back pack with me. My brains had turned to mush and I had trouble deciding what I did and didn’t need for the evening. So Sparkly and I went back to the car and I took my time picking everything up and making a decision about it. And I ended up with all the right stuff.

At ten to seven they let us in: ten lines of five. Strict and calm. Their staff worked brilliantly with Mika’s team and we were checked in one at a time so our places were completely fair. For a change and to be next to my new friend from the queue I went to the Jimmy/iMMa side. We listened to the support band’s soundcheck and watched them. Pearl & The Puppets. They were good, it was quite funny when they noticed the balcony. Then we had the wait while the stage was set up for Mika. Yasmine became a stage hand, putting out wooden pallets loaded with sunflowers and sticking them down with gaffer tape.

Then, finally, the show began. It was a slow start, Mika seemed a bit tired. This was three shows in three days, but the band were on top form, and although there were errors- like when the mike stand was trapped amongst the sunflowers - and Mika said he’d f***ed something up, the atmosphere was great. At one point Danika and Sara were making gestures at him and he stopped to ask them if they were telling him to fix his hair. He ruffled around with it but that wasn’t the problem I don’t think. Also, we had the party bags and he had great fun throwing the things back when we’d used them: paper cups, blowers and balloons. I’d never been able to see his mouth before when he did the trumpet solo but I had a perfect view between his hands. I also had a closer view than usual of his clothes (fraying), his skin (sweaty:teehee: ) and his shoes (silver sparkle).

The show got better and better as it went on. I don’t know the setlist, someone else will, but it included Sweet Dreams that I haven’t seen live for 3 years and Kick Ass which I’d never seen live. He decided on the spur of the moment I think, to do Over My Shoulder, which was lovely. We listened to him! :wub2: and he explained about writing it in a friend’s garage when he was 15 and how much he liked it. My side won in Blame It On The Girls, which was just. Another first was that there was no confetti, which I missed very much. Still, there had been the big girl’s leg, the crowd surfing doll, the fans on stage and the fun.

We were, as ever, encouraged to leave straight away but I loitered, expecting a long wait in the cold and the wet. But no! There was a barrier, a very long line that was meant to be single file, a dry spell between rain clouds and the warmth generated by a Mika show, then before long Mika came out. I hope someone got a shot of his clothes, he looked lovely. He worked the line v quickly and efficiently but when he came to me I had time to do both things I had in mind: I showed him the mika-ish bag I’d bought at Beautiful Days and he signed it AND I gave him the gold star and he said, ‘that makes three’ which it does! :shocked: or perhaps he said ‘I’ve got 3 now’ My God, what a memory he has! Blimey!!! Not like mine! :roftl:

Then, Mika went in the car and we lingered for ages. Jen was ready to go so I went to tell John how much I’d enjoyed the tour and how appreciative I am of the work done by the whole team. He asked which shows I’d been to and he seemed impressed, which is great considering how many more of you have been to so many more gigs. Then, before Jen could round up the car load - crazy Ingie, squiffy Vicky etc, the band came out. So we briefly saw Martin and David, disappearing in opposite directions. Cherisse stopped to talk and recognised me. It’s always a shock and I guess it dates back to the free gig in Manchester in June 2007. iMMa and Jimmy were very friendly but Jen really needed to get moving. It was like herding cats as more lingering goodbyes were given, final hugs shared and we got back to the carpark. £19 was a bit of a sting. Thanks Edinburgh! We filled up the car with the latecomers and headed out of the city for tea and toast, a share of impressions and memories, then bed.

And who would have thought that we’d oversleep and have to miss the fun of reliving the experience the next morning? But we had to whizz to the station. I believe ‘someone’ missed her train, but I was fine, bought supplies for the journey home and was whisked back to normal life and a totally under-whelmed husband who viewed my signed bag in silence! Still, it was well worth all the trouble and expense of attending. Fix the weather perhaps for next time?

And, because that’s it for this tour I do feel the beginnings of post-gig depression which I haven’t had for two years. And it’s not nice.

Yes but AFTERWARDS, when Wendy had left in the taxi............and you were blind drunk .......................wasn't Neil there then?

:sneaky2: come on u guys!!

This is not fair ...

I really hardly had much to drink ..... .

but when i did it went to my .................................... HEAD!

.............. Neil they are all saying i was drunk ................................

:no:

I didn't think we were going to mention that *nudges*

SON!! Don't you start!!:sneaky2:

Well...............I suppose I didn't need to really..............sort of goes without saying :wink2:

LEEDS!!!!!!

............... is all i'm saying

:naughty:

And I see there are already loads of reports so I'll read them tomorrow. And I see lots of videos on YouTube. Thankyou all so much for sharing :)

Hello!!! Glad you are back safely ....... and so is your passport at last!!:teehee:

All I'm gonna say Vicky is that upon seeing Neil when we were waiting for Mika to come on, you shrieked 'OH THERE'S MY MAN!' and fought your way through the crowd, then proceeded to hug him, with a poor innocent woman in between the two of you.

Which is obviously very much the behaviour of an utterly sober person.

Of course.

:teehee: