La libre-review belgian gig + pics

Droopsy

I found this review of the gig in vorst nationaal. It has lovely pics as well....

http://www.lalibre.be/article.phtml?id=5&subid=104&art_id=383232

La folie Mika confirmée à Forest National

Alexandre Alajbegovic

Mis en ligne le 14/11/2007

- - - - - - - - - - -

Grâce à une présence virevoltante, le chanteur a fait banco devant 8000 personnes.

Un show glamour et féérique, où les artifices n'éludent pas une performance scénique.

Les photos du concert

pict_113434.jpgBernard DemoulinIl faut avoir passé les quelques derniers mois boules Quiès au chaud des tympans pour être passé à côté du phénomène Mika. Phénomène, c'est bien le mot. Et c'est là toute la difficulté pour le jeune chanteur de 24 ans. Si les comparaisons sont flatteuses, notamment avec des figures glam rock comme Freddy Mercury ou Scissor Sisters, l'engouement n'est réel que chez les 15-25 ans. Il faut dire qu'il n'y a qu'un album, « Life in Cartoon Motion » sorti en février, pour juger cette grande tige née au Liban un jour d'août 1983. C'est dire si la scène fait figure de « test de longévité » pour Mika, qui passait mardi soir à Forest National.

Un show à l'entame floydienne, dans laquelle une grosse boule bleue avance pendant que la formation réduite de musiciens prend place. Une planète qui explose pour laisser apparaître un ange aux ailes d'or. Non, ce n'est pas encore Mika ! Mais c'est bien lui qui surgit quelques secondes plus tard dans une attitude qui sera la sienne près de deux heures durant : virevoltant, survolté, éternel mobile. Forest National s'embrase. Aux premières notes du tube « Relax », la salle explose. Serré dans un jean noir façon « slim », Mika rebondit facile sur scène comme sur les octaves. La machine est lancée.

Enfant, Michael Holbrook Penniman passa très vite du Liban à la France, où il habita pendant 8 ans avant d'atterrir à Londres. D'où un français et un anglais parfaits. Mais ce n'est pas tout, le chanteur traduit aussi le moindre de ses propos en néerlandais. Ambiance. Un « My interpretation » et un « Billy Brown » plus tard, la troupe se met en ligne pour une nouvelle chanson à la teinte country, banjo à l'appui. Avec le tout frais « How much do you love me ? », Mika livre là deux chansons de son prochain album. Autre bonus, le chanteur offre une reprise efficace de « Missionary man » d'Eurythmics.

Bouillante, la salle déborde de la casserole sur « Love today ». Après une poupée gonflable géante sur « Big Girl », c'est cette fois une immense marionnette qui vient enlacer le chanteur. La version, interminable, verra Mika et sa batteuse s'affronter à grands coups de baguette sur des tambours de ferraille. Sur le finish, le libano-anglais confie être en présence du meilleur public de sa vie. On le croirait presque, tant l'ambiance est électrique.

Ce n'est pas tous les jours que les gradins de Forest sont debout pendant les trois quarts d'un concert, parents compris ! Ils le sont plus que jamais sur l'incontournable « Grace Kelly », à l'issue duquel Mika quitte la scène. Le reste est du pur délire. Derrière un rideau, le chanteur et sa troupe réinventent « Bugs Bunny » par un jeu d'ombres. Costumes à l'appui. Quand le rideau tombe, et qu'un Mika-crocodile entame son « Lollipop » sous des canons à confettis, la scène ressemble à une comédie de musicale des années 60 où Alice au pays des merveilles croise lions et poussins.

Un show complet, une voix malmenée et pourtant en place du début à la fin, Mika est incontestablement chez lui sur scène. De là à dire que c'est par lui que passe le renouveau du glam rock, le pas est grand. A lui de le franchir.

I tried to translate but maybe one of the frenchies should do it:mf_rosetinted: I just translated the stuff of the gig, the other stuff is old news anyway:naughty:

You should have spent the few last months wearing earplugs to not have heard about the Mika phenomenon. Phenomenon, that's the right word. The comparisons are flattering, in particular with glam rock'n'roll figures like Freddy Mercury or Scissor Sisters.

The show has a floydian start, in which a large blue balloon appears on stage whilst the musicians take their place. The balloon explodes and makes room for an angel with gold wings to appear. No, it isn't Mika yet! But he does emerge a few seconds later with an attitude that will last almorst two hours: twirling, exciting, moving the entire time. Forest National is set on fire. At the first tunes of "Relax", the crowd explodes. Wearing a black slim jeans, Mika bounces on stage as easily as through the octaves. The show has begun.

He speaks perfect french and english cause he lived in france and london as a child. But that's not, the singer also translates some things in dutch as well. Great atmosphere. A "My interpretation" and a "Billy Brown" later, the whole bunch is standing in a row for a new countrylike song, banjo and everything. Together with the new song "How much do you love me? Mika delivers two songs of his next album. Another bonus: the singer offers a great cover of "Missionary man" originally by the Eurythmics.

The crowd goes mad with the song love today. After a huge inflatable doll with the song big girl, now there is a huge skeletton puppet that hugs the singer. This neverending version of love today, shows mika and his drummer attacking a 'trash can' . At the end, the libanese-english singer says he's in the presence of the best audience he's ever had. You'd almost believe it since the atmosphere is so electric.

It's not everyday that all the people at the seating area in forest are standing up during 3 quarters of a show! Including the parents! They are more than ever with the song "Grace kelly", after which Mika leaves the stage. The rest is totally delirious. Behind a curtain, the singer and his bunch reinvent "Bugs Bunny" by game of shadows. Costumes included. When the curtain falls and a Mika-crocodile starts his "Lollipop" with guns of confetti, the stage resembles a musical comedy of the sixties.

A complete show, an abused voice but still the right one for the show from beginning to end, Mika is certainly at his place on scene.

(not sure about this:) Saying that because of him the revival of glam rock arrives, is a big step. For him to cross it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting.

The European reviews and articles are so much more positive, there's none of the 'sneering' you get all the time here in the UK - I love reading the stuff you French/Dutch/Belgians/Italians etc etc post. Thanks.

Just one thing: what is the meaning/nuance of 'malmenée' here (at the end, 'une voix malmenée et pourtant en place.....')? Perhaps a Frenchie can help me out here :biggrin2: That little section sounds ambiguous to me...

Thanks for posting.

The European reviews and articles are so much more positive, there's none of the 'sneering' you get all the time here in the UK - I love reading the stuff you French/Dutch/Belgians/Italians etc etc post. Thanks.

I don't understand. Why is the UK media so unkind to Mika? :sneaky2::thumbdown:

I have heard this before from many of you!

Sorry I'm double posting. I noticed after, and it's a bad habit, but who really cares? :mf_rosetinted: :mf_rosetinted: :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks for posting.

I don't understand. Why is the UK media so unkind to Mika? :sneaky2::thumbdown:

I have heard this before from many of you!

i'm not from the UK, but I've heard that UK press is just much more harsh in general.