Swedish article, not a word about sexuality!

sienna

There are so many new articles right now that I had my doubts making another one, and this one doesn’t really include anything new. There is a little about the Barnum project though and the Swedish singer Jenny Lind which of course feels a little special for us Swedish members, all the three of us!:naughty:

Jenny Lind was famous around the world more than 100 years ago as a singer!

I have always imagined her blond but if they give the role to Anne Hathaway :wub2:I’ll be the first in line to see it, she is a brilliant actor!

So here goes, this is from Sweden’s biggest newspaper Dagens Nyheter:

http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/musik/musiken-blev-min-bunker-1.959369

“The music became my bunker”

Mika was considering closing his pop career while working on the new album. London Lebanese have now been offered to do the music for the upcoming Jenny Lind-movie musical.

- Who is Jenny Lind? asked Mika.

We are sitting in a desert breakfast room in a hotel in Malmo.

The 26 year old has been offered to write the music for the upcoming Hollywood film "The Greatest Showman on Earth" on the P T Barnum's life, but he does not know the circus and entertainment agent's love interest in the acclaimed musical is a Swedish opera star Jenny Lind, played by Anne Hathaway.

- I have obviously not read the script properly, "says Mika, and laughs. But now I remember, the film focuses on the love story. They fall in love. She does concerts. So, what's the point?

I do not know. The script is a secret. P T Barnum attracted Jenny Lind to the United States with huge concert bearings. She married someone else later.

- Exactly, and that was when I read the script that I called film producer and asked, "Where is the film's climax? What should I write about music? There is no big explosion at the end! "He replied:" But it's a wonderful love story! "I explained," I'm sorry I'm so vulgar, but the song writing is vulgar, and I must have a climax. "

Mika grew up with an American father, Lebanese mother, three sisters and two brothers. The family was forced to flee a war-torn Beirut when he was only a year old. They settled in London after a brief sojourn in Paris. But England was no paradise. Mika was so mobbed during his childhood that he had a to be home schooled for home six months. Now he sees the success as his artistic triumph over bullies. At the Grammy-nominated debut "Life in Cartoon Motion", he used the simplicity of the nursery rhyme to make songs. He was compared to Elton John, Scissor Sisters and Queen's Freddie Mercury. In the sequel, he has his traumatic adolescence as a theme.

- Since my teen had a happy ending I could think: "At least it is okay now." I managed to simultaneously confront me with many things that I did not like with myself, mainly because I was such a coward. How different than I was, how strange I dressed than me, so I always fled from the fighting. I disappeared into my music instead. It became my bunker.

Mika sighed. He looks down on its pastel-coloured clothes. He has blond a few carefully selected curls in his dark hair.

- But I have not changed. I'm like a turtoise. If I sit at a bar and surrounded by people who are nasty, I feel just like crying, and sneak out through the emergency exit. Then I rather often do a passive aggressive revenge.

Like what?

- I will be murdered because I am telling you this, but on my new album is a really strong melody called "Rain". Because I know that it will be played on the radio so much I wrote the text as a "breaking up" letter to my ex partner. I enjoyed making it so "catchy" and sing-along friendly as possible so that the brake-up-letter letter should never stop playing on the radio.

So every time he puts on the radio, so he will hear the text?

- Yes, I am there and sing: "Baby, I hate days like this, ha ha.

Mika questioned whether he wanted to be an artist during the recording of their second album "The Boy Who Knew Too Much".

- Making a sequel is in fact as to experience all the teenage clichés again. You get a totally exaggerated personality and begins to question the whole of your life. There was a Rite of passage. I had to find the answer to the question: "Is this what I want to make the rest of my life?" What finally got me going was the realization that if I could figure out how to make a sequel then I could probably find a way to continue as an artist in another 20 years.

During adolescence Mika found inspiration in everything from Baccarat and Bronski Beat gaydisco to Bertolt Brecht. Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" inspired him to write his first song, piano piece "Angry".

- But during the filming of the new album, I thought the whole time that I did not want to be influenced by other musicians because I hate most of them.

When I met Mika first time in London in connection with his debut success in 2007, he could not stop talking about all the wonderful role models he had been hit. Now he sounds much more disillusioned.

- Over the past two years I realized that artists are self-absorbed monster. They are not very nice people. My tip is to never meet an idol.

Mika finds instead his inspiration from filmmakers, especially Tim Burton.

- The film is more freedom than a musician. Every time directors make another movie they jump into a new world which and allow them to create what they want when they want.In about 20 years, I’ll look back at my records and be able to say that each album is a distinct entity - just like Tim Burton films.

Robert Börjesson

Mika - The Greatest Showman on Earth?

Michael Holbrook Penniman, born 1983 in Beirut, later moved to London.

Dropped out of the Royal College of Music in London to record the debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion" 2007.

Second album "The Boy Who Knew Too Much" came out yesterday.

The musical "The Greatest Showman on Earth" reunites the trio who made the acclaimed Academy Awards last year, actor Hugh Jackman, producer Laurence Mark and writer Jenny Bick.

The main character P T Barnum was a successful circus director during the 1800s. He drew particular, "The Swedish Nightingale" Jenny Lind to the United States with a gage of 1 $ 000 per concert, a record amount 1850th

The film, which is still in the planning stages, should be about Barnum relationship with opera star Jenny Lind. Anne Hathaway, known from, ”The Devil Wears Prada", will play the Swedish singer.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, I posted it in the RIX fm report thread.:teehee: What I didn't get was, did he say in the interview that he wasn't going to do it?

What are you talking about? Humphrey and I have been looking for that!

We read some rumours about an article which was about Jenny Lind, can you please give me the ling to the thread!?

But this article came with today’s paper!:wink2:

I like interviews like this one:thumb_yello:

..Wonder which musicians he means when he said they were not particularly kind with him :shocked:

Poor boy :huglove:

I don't know, but.... I get the sense that our boy could be the poster child for sensitive!:teehee::wub2:

I loved all that stuff about Barnum and about how that all affects his decision making. "But there's no climax!"

I'm also curious to know whether he classes himself in the category of self-absorbed monster. Should we not meet Mika if he is our idol?:teehee::roftl:

What are you talking about? Humphrey and I have been looking for that!

We read some rumours about an article which was about Jenny Lind, can you please give me the ling to the thread!?

But this article came with today’s paper!:wink2:

I posted it there: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19285&page=22

- Over the past two years I realized that artists are self-absorbed monster. They are not very nice people. My tip is to never meet an idol. :naughty:

I'm also curious to know whether he classes himself in the category of self-absorbed monster. Should we not meet Mika if he is our idol?:teehee::roftl:

That's probably why he's so nice all the time :wink2:

Edited by Droopsy

No not really, when we write "he" in Swedish it's an expression for laughter! Hehehe.:naughty:

He(eng) is han or honom in Swedish!:thumb_yello:

Was it wrong or funny somewhere in the article? Or my post?

I'm curious!:teehee:

What I wanted to say actually is this: the interviewer talks about Mika's ex-partner as a he, and Mika doesn't seem to react on that...

What I wanted to say actually is this: the interviewer talks about Mika's ex-partner as a he, and Mika doesn't seem to react on that...

Ah, let me read it in Swedish again.....

Yeah the reporter says: So every time he turns on the radio he will be hearing the lyrics?

And Mika's answer: Yes, there I am singing: "Baby I hate days like" this, haha!

Partner can mean both male and female in Swedish, there's really no distinction onle a little more formal than saying my boyfriend or girlfriend.

So no, no reaction from Mika. As far as we know, the reporters has written this afterwards and he may have used the word partner all the time when he was talking to Mika, but on the other hand maybe Mika is ready to just nod along.

The few people in Sweden, I mean bloggers and journalists who have showed an interest in Mika, have taken it for "a not so important fact”, maybe even granted, that he actually is gay(or bisexual of course:wink2:)

Edited by sienna

Ah, let me read it in Swedish again.....

Yeah the reporter says: So every time he turns on the radio he will be hearing the lyrics?

And Mika's answer: Yes, there I am singing: "Baby I hate days like" this, haha!

Partner can mean both male and female in Swedish, there's really no distinction onle a little more formal than saying my boyfriend or girlfriend.

So no, no reaction from Mika. As far as we know, the reporters has written this afterwards and he may have used the word partner all the time when he was talking to Mika, but on the other hand maybe Mika is ready to just nod along.

The few people in Sweden, I mean bloggers and journalists who have showed an interest in Mika, have taken it for "a not so important fact”, maybe even granted, that he actually is gay(or bisexual of course:wink2:)

Are we sure this isn't a "translation" thing??

I have read this article somewhere else in English & there are some differences.

I wouldn't focus on the "he" too much.

There is No way that Mika would let that slip by when he has been very diligent in not allowing anybody to label him.

He is not stupid as he said in other interviews where they tried to throw in a pronoun.

Mika has got a secret brother!!! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

:roftl::roftl:

That reminded me of a Halloween Simpson episode where they discovered that Bart had a twin brother.They thought that he was evil so they locked him up in the attic, only to find out years later that they had messed up and Bart was actually the evil twin!:naughty:

Are we sure this isn't a "translation" thing??

I have read this article somewhere else in English & there are some differences.

I wouldn't focus on the "he" too much.

There is No way that Mika would let that slip by when he has been very diligent in not allowing anybody to label him.

He is not stupid as he said in other interviews where they tried to throw in a pronoun.

Yes I think it might be just that, we can never trust these translated or even written interviews because it’s all in the hands of the journalists!

:roftl::roftl:

That reminded me of a Halloween Simpson episode where they discovered that Bart had a twin brother.They thought that he was evil so they locked him up in the attic, only to find out years later that they had messed up and Bart was actually the evil twin!:naughty:

I love Simpson!:wub2:

Didn't they mix up the both Barts and the real Bart had to eat fish heads?:naughty: