Satellite appreciation thread

You know, for YEARS, I thought this song was written and composed by Mika. Then, recently, I saw that it was on youtube and it said that it was a Dave Matthews Band cover! :confused:

I felt so disappointed, yet it made sense. Why would Mika have hidden such a gem of a song on the back of a Grace Kelly single UNLESS it was a cover, right? :wink2:

That's the problem with buying songs on iTunes. You don't get to see the credits. :huh:

Nevertheless, I still love, love, LOVE this song. I think it is really, really lovely and Mika's vocal performance is exquisite. :wub2:

What are YOUR thoughts on this lovely cover? :original:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, thats all i can say.

Listening to this song through earphones almost got me emotional... the purity o his voice is so amazing its unbelievable!!

I love it, i wish that when i do see him perform live, he will sing this:wub2:

This is my favourite cover of his, bar none. I even like it better than a lot of the original songs. :teehee:

His phrasing is perfect and it's just the right balance of falsetto and full voice. Love it.

I would have loved to hear him perform it live, too, Freaka. But I don't think he ever has performed it live, has he? :confused:

I don't think he has, but i don't see why he doesn't, because he does perform covers live, like Sweet Dreams etc.

He really should perform this one, it is by far one of my favourites. I havent analysed the lyrics yet, whats your take on it?

I havent analysed the lyrics yet, whats your take on it?

I think the lyrics are like a poem - more concerned with using metaphors to evocate a mood rather than telling a story. I think "satellite" is a metaphor for the Earth (like a diamond in the sky). :original:

I think the lyrics are like a poem - more concerned with using metaphors to evocate a mood rather than telling a story. I think "satellite" is a metaphor for the Earth (like a diamond in the sky). :original:

I thought the diamond in the sky was a pretty literal description of what a satellite looks like from earth, not the earth itself. Same with the line "strung from the moon". They look almost exactly like stars except that they move too quickly because they are orbiting the earth and not off in the galaxy.

There are references to weather, television signals, spying...which are all uses of satellites.

Ah, i think i am going to go listen to it now:wub2:

I thought the diamond in the sky was a pretty literal description of what a satellite looks like from earth, not the earth itself. Same with the line "strung from the moon". They look almost exactly like stars except that they move too quickly because they are orbiting the earth and not off in the galaxy.

There are references to weather, television signals, spying...which are all uses of satellites.

Those are good observations. Maybe the lyrics really are that simple? :wink2:

Those are good observations. Maybe the lyrics really are that simple? :wink2:

Well it doesn't have to be entirely literal, I am just having trouble making a connection between a satellite and the earth. Especially where the spying is concerned. Seems more like a metaphor for a person or a society than the planet.

I love this song:wub2: I often listen to it on my Mp3! I also listen to the Dave Matthews version which is also lovely. But I like Mika's better:blush-anim-cl:

I love it! I listen to it every night :) It's so soothing and just amazing, his voice sounds incredible when he sings "I laugh about the weather mans satelite eyes"

Aha, is that what he sings? :doh:

I guess I should look up the lyrics, I thought he sang: "I love about the weather mans eyes"....

edit: Found them:

Satellite in my eyes

Like a diamond in the sky

How I wonder.

Satellite strung from the moon

And the world your balloon

Peeping tom for the mother station

Winter's cold spring erases

And the calm away by the storm is chasing

Everything good needs replacing

Look up, look down all around, hey satellite

Satellite, headlines read

Someone's secrets you've seen

Eyes and ears have been

Satellite dish in my yard

Tell me more, tell me more

Who's the king of your satellite castle?

Rest high above the clouds no resrictions

Television we bounce 'round the world

And while I spend these hours

Five senses reeling,

I laugh about the weatherman's satellite eyes.

Satellite in my eyes

How i wonder.

Satellite strung from the moon

And the world your balloon

Peeping tom for the mother station

Rest high above the clouds no restrictions

Television you bounce from the world

And while I spend these hours

Five senses reeling

I laugh about this world in my satellite eyes.

SATELITTE I looooove it!! Can't stop listening to this song on my mp3...

Well...what more can I say...it's Basically Pointlessly Delicious...

:

The "diamond in the sky" line is also a reference to the children's rhyme:

Twinkle twinkle little star

How I wonder what you are

Up above the world you fly

"Satellite" is my favourite cover too.

When i first heard it I thought Mika wrote it too :doh:

This is my favourite cover of his, bar none. I even like it better than a lot of the original songs. :teehee:

His phrasing is perfect and it's just the right balance of falsetto and full voice. Love it.

I totally agree!

On a similar subject, I could've sworn that The Only Lonely One was a Beatles song... it sounded so much like they could've sung it! :teehee:

• 7 months later...

Bump!

IMO Satellite is the very best cover from MIKA! I discovered it soon after discovering MIKA, which was only a few weeks before I went to his gig and although I knew from his recent gigs I had seen on YT that he was not going to perform I still had a tiny hope :wub2:. Especially because I don't like Sweet Dreams that much :naughty:.

I definitely like his cover more than DMB's original. And I LOVE the guitar!

I so wish he will perform it live one day :wub2:

Bump!

IMO Satellite is the very best cover from MIKA! I discovered it soon after discovering MIKA, which was only a few weeks before I went to his gig and although I knew from his recent gigs I had seen on YT that he was not going to perform I still had a tiny hope :wub2:. Especially because I don't like Sweet Dreams that much :naughty:.

I definitely like his cover more than DMB's original. And I LOVE the guitar!

I so wish he will perform it live one day :wub2:

It is a really gorgeous song and suits his voice so much.

I love that cover and was happy to hear a bit of it in the sound tracks for MFC anniversary:wub2:

I only know the cover actually :wink2:

Actually I just bought myself a new MP4 as the one i had before won't start and I can't live without Mika's songs, covers and interviews in my ears :fangurl:

Like you, I LOVE this song :mf_lustslow:. And even Mika has not writen it I strongly believe it suits his style, music so well.

Actually, I would definitely have appreciated to have it included in the Imaginarium tour... maybe instead of Billy Borwn (which is definitely cool, but we heard it now a lot, in both tour !)It would have been perfect with the red line of this tour, with the astronaut, the planets, the stars... :thumb_yello:

I love that cover and was happy to hear a bit of it in the sound tracks for MFC anniversary:wub2:

I only know the cover actually :wink2:

Actually I just bought myself a new MP4 as the one i had before won't start and I can't live without Mika's songs, covers and interviews in my ears :fangurl:

I adore, love or like all the songs MIKA has ever written (today I even discovered Ring-Ring for myself :aah:. Finally. Must be because the new iPod has a lot better sound quality than the ancient one I had before :naughty:), but his version of Satellite has a special place in my heart. I literally :yikes: and :pbjt:, when I heard the few seconds of it in the 20 songs in 2 minutes! :fangurl:

And as for the second part of your post - I never leave home without my MIpod packed with MIsongs and Minterviews to last more than two days :naughty: