What do you think about Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) video ?

Yoppappop

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it alot...but then again i dont think i could hate anything mika does... its a bit ridiculous looking tho, but in a good way.

:thumb_yello: the simplicity and realism is what i love. it was like ordinary, which i think sorts of connects with everyone and i think it is in keeping with the song and the type of person mika is. it is great to see the diversity...on one hand u have the extravagant lt vid and then the big girl vid on the other.

This review was posted on thedailyreel.com by Jill Weinberger:

------------------------------------------------------------

Campy British sensation Mika has already been compared plenty to Freddie Mercury. "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" is unlikely to change that -- it's like a kinder, sweeter, disco-infused "Fat Bottomed Girls," joyfully performed on a sugar high. Bursting forth with color and energy, the video features Mika boisterously taking to the streets with a wide assortment of plus-sized women, dancing and cavorting in what looks like one of the most fun block parties ever.

Skinny girls, watch out. Between this and A Fat Rant, the day of the big girl isn't just coming -- I think it's here. Sit back, have a donut, and enjoy.

I like it because I like Mika and I like his concept. I think it all would be just fine but it needs to be rehearsed a bunch more and the moves need to be sharper for all the people in it. It would be cool to get all the big girls doing a dance really well. It looks like they're not sure what they're doing here... they were probably directed to do just whatever, but that doesn't work in my opinion, although they all look great.

I just think it would be an awesome video if it was sharper... take parts of this one like the market people looking on, etc. and I like him walking through the streets but stop and do a dance together with Mika in front and all the big girls doing an actual coreographed dance for a minute. (Not that I can dance worth beans...or that I am judging them. I think they did great with what they were given!)

Reading this the Making Of Love Today popped up in my mind. I remember very well that sequence where he is telling the choreographer and the (professional) dancers how exactly he wanted them to change their moves, doing them 'more tight'. And then he said straight into the camera something like 'It is strange to tell people far more talented what to do...' (Oh man, I know his videos by heart, I need help :blink: - LOL)

This is so contradictory, his perfectionism on the one hand and then this video...I think he is trying to confuse us :biggrin2:

*runs off to watch GK, IMO the only video that really does him justice - LOL*

i love the fact he has his fans on it:biggrin2: but thats the only thing i do like:boxed: the video is awful, i dont like it at all!!!:sneaky2: sorry i have to b honest!! Big Girl is 1 of my fave songs off the album but i think its been rushed out in time for the festival season. I think Mika could have done a much better job, such a shame!!!

Really, I think it's becoming one of my favorite music videos of all time. And I am an MTV/Music Video guru. It just really hits home with me (again, refer to my opinion on page 6 if you want to know why I love it!)

Mika has succeeded once again in making a Marmite release, it seems!

Reading this the Making Of Love Today popped up in my mind. I remember very well that sequence where he is telling the choreographer and the (professional) dancers how exactly he wanted them to change their moves, doing them 'more tight'. And then he said straight into the camera something like 'It is strange to tell people far more talented what to do...' (Oh man, I know his videos by heart, I need help :blink: - LOL)

This is so contradictory, his perfectionism on the one hand and then this video...I think he is trying to confuse us :biggrin2:

*runs off to watch GK, IMO the only video that really does him justice - LOL*

Lol! I totally remember that too! Sometimes I wonder if all the views that the youtube vids get are from a few of us just watching them over and over. :roftl:

The perfectionism and then this video are contradictory! I guess that's what he was going for.. who knows?!

Have a look at that... The song is crap. The video is crap too. But i find it very similar to Big Girl in the scenes : hair-dresser, street, colourful people, etc. :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyhfOEj5Rbs

You're right-it's a crap. The beginning maybe looks a bit like Mika's, but I still think that actually they can't be compared. Mika's is 54950305x better and more authentic.:wink2:

AH i LUVVVVVVVVVVED it!!! it looked like sooo much fun! like all of his videos..i mean yeah its not exactly like every other video but thats what makes it so MIIIIKA! thanks for sharing! i hadnt seen that and it put a BIG smile on my face!:biggrin2: one thing i didnt get was y is he in a barber shop in the beginning? haha

i think it would have been alot more exciting and i don't know more "mika" if there had actually been a beautiful big girl ordering pizza and mika dancing around like he does and including a "butterfly lounge" sort of place with the big girls and mika dancing around...but it was still good just not as i pictured it would be when i first heard the song...

Ok, I may be reaching here, but I think the video sends a message. I loved the suprised looks on people's faces as Mika and the big girls danced in the streets. It's as if the girls were saying, "Hey! Look at us! We're not invisible!" As a big girl, there have been so many times when I felt like people looked right through me, or pretended I wasn't there. Mika is dressing these women in bright colors and parading them in front of people's faces. There's no way they can go unnoticed. It's such a simple concept, but sort of beautiful.

Then again, that could just be my interpretation, and not what they had in mind at all. :bleh:

Made totally with his style I think.

You either love it to pieces or hate it as your mother in law... :naughty:

I personally think it's rather genious, catches your eye! ^_^

...And the fact that there's numerous fans in it makes it even more great.

IM SORRY BUT I HAVE TO COMMENT ONCE AGAIN!! my god i just watched it for the second time! and i dont know what it is...if im in a dif mood or something cus i am tired or what! but i loved it even more the second time! i understand its not all lasers and cool images in the background..but thats what makes it spectacular! its just so beautiful because it depicts his music in our lives every day...hes singing and the big girls are happy and dancing and so is he and the ppl who thought they were crazy before just join in and are happy in their bleak every day lives...its like they forgot that the world was a crappy cruddy place for just a few moments and joined the fun..all because of mika! this video shows how mika spreads the joy in all of our lives everyday big and small! i just love it so much and it really doesnt bother me that stuff flies in his mouth...or its grey outside..thats just what makes it all the better..it shows that everything doesnt have to be perfect for you to have fun...the world isnt perfect..but all the ppl in this video are still loving life!!! if anything this video makes me love mika even more..which i didnt think was even humanly possible!!:wub2: LOVE you mika! thank you for this beautiful video!:wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

and i do think he should release it and have more people see it! i think its perfect just the way it is and he should definitly NOT change it!

I love it too. I just watched it again and I really do love it and I LOVE Mika in it. I think when I watched it the first couple times I was expecting something different but I really like your takes on it elizabethlovesmika and DaMango and I definitely agree. I am seeing it differently now.

At first I was wishing the moves were sharper for the big girls... I don't care about the other stuff... I thought it would make them look like they we are just as beautiful as all the other dancers in videos, etc. but I do see the point of just having REAL people on a video and not perfection, like people are obsessed with.

I guess I can understand both ways of thinking, but it has grown on me a lot more!! Mika always brightens my day tremendously and he definitely does it here again!!

personally, i think it is... lets say um... a little weak?

of course Mika looks beautiful as ever but its always the same, and theres no "story" you see what i mean?

Mika you can do much better we know it!!!!

I just saw the video on you tube. I don't find it anything special, it kinda looks cheap as some posted. But it's bright, wonderful, cartoony - so cheerful that you just enjoy watching it. Isn't that what it all should be about :)