Mika records "Big Girl" w/new lyrics for Ugly Betty

titania

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that show. :-) Was so happy they played Mika last season, even if it was just a remix and not easy to spot for non-fans. This will be fun... I can already tell that one of my friends who's also a big UB fan will call me if she sees the commercial.

--Jack

Awesome, Ugly Betty's a good show. If it worked for Snow Patrol when they collaborated with Grey's, Mika has a fantastic shot at reaching some new people. Thank you, ABC!

Seriously, ABC has been really good to Mika...two GMA appearances and now Ugly Betty!

ABC promotes shows with music videos

Reuters

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:22PM EDT

By Gail Schiller

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN1419416820070815

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - ABC is producing music videos for several of its new and returning shows, including "Ugly Betty," "Desperate Housewives," "Grey's Anatomy," "Dancing With the Stars" and "Brothers and Sisters."

The videos -- 11 are expected by the end of the season -- will air on ABC.com and in some cases on such other platforms as iTunes, ABC Mobile and the network itself.

After a successful run last season with music videos for "Grey's," "Betty" and "Lost," ABC is relying much more heavily on the marketing tactic -- which also helps promote the artists' songs -- to launch its new season.

For the upcoming season of "Ugly Betty," ABC produced a music video with British pop singer Mika, who re-recorded his hit single "Big Girl" with new lyrics. The music video -- which features Mika recording the new version of the song "Betty Girl," footage from his "Big Girl" video and scenes from Season 1 of "Betty" -- will premiere Thursday on ABC.com. The song also will be featured on-air in ABC's promo spots for "Betty."

In the case of "Housewives," ABC produced a music video to reggae youngster Sean Kingston's chart-topping "Beautiful Girls." It wove clips from all the past seasons of the suburban soap with footage from the upcoming season and shots from Kingston's own music video. It premiered July 27 and is available on ABC.com.

ABC is believed to be the only network using music videos to promote its shows. Since the music videos are mutually beneficial to ABC and the record labels/artists, the network does not pay licensing fees to use footage from already existing music videos, nor does it pay the artists when they appear in footage shot especially for the ABC videos.

Last season, ABC produced three music videos for "Grey's" -- for Brandi Carlile's "The Story," the Fray's "How to Save a Life" and Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars." The "Chasing Cars" video made it onto iTunes' top 10 list after it aired during the closing moments of the "Grey's" season finale.

ABC also produced a music video for "Lost" combining footage from the show with Brian McFadden's music video "Demons," and a music video for "Ugly Betty" featuring an original song by Jason Mraz.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

O my god!!!!!!!

You have just changed my whole mood.

I can't wait to see/hear it!!!!

O my godomygod!!!!

:woot_jump:

I have to tell everyone i know. This is awesome!!!

Thank you so much for posting this!!

reading that is making me reminisce (did i even spell that right??) about the mika interview where he was asked who his favorite big girl was and he said ugly betty because she's got the teeth..lol:biggrin2:

reading that is making me reminisce (did i even spell that right??) about the mika interview where he was asked who his favorite big girl was and he said ugly betty because she's got the teeth..lol:biggrin2:

Oh yes! I thought about that interview too! :bleh:

From a marketing standpoint, this will NO DOUBT get "Big Girl" to Top 30 on I-Tunes downloads. AS SOON as a song is featured on one of those shows, you see a MAJAH increase in downloads the next day. This will give him the promo he needs in the US, most definetly...Though, it's a shame this couldn't have been done with Grace Kelly.

Betty girl :roftl:

but..well....i love Mika, but i dun like Ugly betty...

My fd love UGLY BETTY so much but she doens't like Mika...

haha...

i did watch ep1 but i find the plot's soooo boring....

then my fd convince me to watch once more, so i watched ep2...

but it's still boring to me...so i give up:sorry:)

So this news definitely provocate me to watch the third time! :mf_rosetinted:

I hope someone will record and youtube it for us?

I hope that too, because otherwise I won't see that music video for aaages. We are so much behind in Finland. :roftl: I have only seen the first season! This is wonderful news and will no doubt increase Mika's popularity in the US. :thumb_yello: