Mika's 50 Secrets - Le 50 Secrets de Mika

Posterofagirl

Oh man, the rock opera thing would be amazing. I hope he sticks to that resolution. That would be so perfect for me.

They seem to misspell things (Alla Ardakov, nor Ardalov) and the dysphasia thing, but at least they got his name right!

--Jack

I wouldn't bet my head on it, since at least one third of these 'facts' are wrong and some of them were simply made up.

J’ai trouve cet article dans le magazine québécoise La Semaine, pour voir la photo de l’article en français cliquez sur la photo.

La Semaine

Le Grand Magazine Indépendant.

Vol. 3 No. 29 – 25 Août 2007.

LaSemaineMika1WebSmall.jpgLaSemaineMika2WebSmall.jpg

I fount this article on a magazine from Quebec called La Semaine, click on the pictures to see a bigger version.

It’s originally in French, I translated it, but it might not be perfect. I’m sure you will be able to understand. (If you find something that it’s not right, you can tell me and I’ll correct it!:thumb_yello: ) (I think the information here contradicts with somethings that have been said before, but I translated the information as it was.)

La Semaine

Portrait of a Star

The interpreter of Grace Kelly and Love Today.

Mika’s 50 secrets.

The likable Mika makes us dance with the successful songs Love Today and Grace Kelly. His album Life in Cartoon Motion is a true anthem to the pleasures of life.

1. His name is Michael “Mica†Holbrook Penniman.

2. His family nickname is Mica. He changed the c by a k for professional reasons.

3. He was born under the sign of Leo, August 18th 1983.

4. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon, just like Keanu Reeves, that he knows well, and is his favourite actor.

5. He is 1.91m (6’3â€) tall and weighs 82.8 km (183 lb).

6. He is single.

7. His sexual orientation being unceasingly the object of questions, he answers that he doesn’t have accounts to anybody and that public must take him for what he is first and foremost, a singer and a musician.

8. He is author, composer and interpreter.

9. His mother is from Lebanon-Syrian origin and his father American.

10. His father is a banker and his mother a housewife.

11. Because of the political context of his country, his family leaves Lebanon when he was one year old, to settle in Paris.

12. He was 9 years old when his family leaves the city of light to settle in London.

13. During the Golf war, in 1990, his dad was held, for security reasons, at the United States embassy in Koweit, during 7 moths.

14. He is third in a family of five brothers.

15. His older sister, Yasmine, an artist with the Penname Dawack, did the booklet of his album Life in Cartoon Motion.

16. He lives in the basement of his parents 5.3 millions $ house, in South Kensigton, in London’s suburbs.

17. In Paris, he studied at The “Lycée Français Charles Gaulle†where he was described by his teachers as “a slow student.†They later noticed he suffered from dysphasia (central disorder linked to verbal communication.)

18. due to the negative attitude of his teachers and sarcasm of his classmates, his mother became his home school teacher during two years.

19. In London, he studied primary school at St. Phillips in Kensington, after he did high school at Westminster. Later, he studied at the Royal College of Music, which he left to record his first album.

20. He doesn’t like to label his music style, but he says it’s between pop, rock, power pop, dance pop and glam rock.

21. He signed a contract with Universal-Casablanca Records.

22. He plays piano, guitar and a little bit of drums.

23. His voice can reach 5 octaves.

24. Because of his vocal acrobatics and his facility to sing in high tones, he is often compared to Freddie Mercury, from Queen.

25. He had as a teacher a known Russian opera singer called Alla Ardalov.

26. He was chosen as the most popular and most promising singer by a survey done in England by “Sound of 2007â€.

27. He composed his first song at the age of 7. It was called “Angryâ€.

28. His first single Relax, Take it easy, released in fall 2006, passed completely unperceived. It’s the song Grace Kelly that launched him.

29. On Relax, Take It Easy, it’s found the melody of I Just Died in Your Arms, by Cutting Crew.

30. He speaks French as well as English.

31. At 11 years old, he played in an opera of Richard Strauss at the Royal Opera House.

32. At 15 years old, his performance in Vaughan William’s production “The Pilgrim’s Progress†at the Royal Opera House, gave him good critiques and the first pages of musical publication.

33. In January 21st, 2007, the song Grace Kelly dominated every British chart and became the second song to attain this position, thanks to downloads only.

34. Life in Cartoon Motion, his first album was launched by Universal Records, February 5th, 2007.

35. This first album gave him good comparisons to Freddie Mercury, Scissor Sisters, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Robbie Williams and David Bowie.

36. He wrote music that was played at all British Airways planes.

37. He wrote the music for a chewing-gum commercial.

38. He has a terrible fear of water and of sharks.

39. Like author-composer he fixed and objective so that his songs are not sung at karaoke.

40. He would like to be the first singer and composer to represent Lebanon at the contest Eurovision Song Contest of 2009.

41. He collaborated with Madonna’s next album that will come out in October 2007.

42. He set up his own company “Dodgy Holiday Toursâ€, that has links to an Irish accountants firm, of which the Gallagher brothers are clients.

43. He is allergic to seafood and peanut butter.

44. His favourite male singers are Placido Domingo, Freddie Mercury, Tony Bennett and Sir Elton John.

45. His favourite female singers are Beverly Sills, Madonna, Aniie Lennox and Cleo Lane.

46. He promised himself to write an opera rock before his thirties.

47. On his next album he will duo with the opera singer Dame Kiri te Kanawa and the rocker Annie Lennox.

48. Recently, he hurt himself while falling from the drum set during a show.

49. He was supposed to do a show in Montreal in profit of the “Club des Petits Dejeuners†this past august 10th. But he had to cancel his visit because of his injury.

50. It was Gregory Charles that replaced him.

Thank you! :*

Thanks for the translation

But is it just me, or did some of them seem untrue? He said in an interview his name was Mica not Michael because one of his parents didn't like it. And he has said himself that he can only reach a little over 3 octaves.

Why do the media print info that isn't entirely true?

They should run it by us first! We know! LOL :roftl: :roftl:

Thanks for the translation

But is it just me, or did some of them seem untrue? He said in an interview his name was Mica not Michael because one of his parents didn't like it. And he has said himself that he can only reach a little over 3 octaves.

Why do the media print info that isn't entirely true?

They should run it by us first! We know! LOL :roftl: :roftl:

It's not just you, some of the information is wrong. I seriously have no idea where they got that information.

I agree, they should have come to the MFC! We could have written a kickass article!

Yay ! I bought it! :bleh:

AWESOME! at least there's nice page-big photo!

It's not just you, some of the information is wrong. I seriously have no idea where they got that information.

I agree, they should have come to the MFC! We could have written a kickass article!

So true!!! :wink2:

Pffft. Some of those are quite inaccurate, and I'm not so sure it's because of the translation.

Especially the "dysphasia" thing.

"Dysphasia is a language disorder in which there is an impairment of speech and of comprehension of speech. It is caused by brain damage, usually in the left side of the brain which is responsible for language and communication."

Dyslexia, Dysphasia, all the same to a rushed journalist, I suppose.

But, thank you for posting!

I think the dysphasia may be a reference to his brief selective mutism when he was a kid (as well as the forgetting how to read and write)

Would be a bit of a weird thing for a serious artist to do. It's not generally regarded as the most respected competition... and is Lebanon even IN Europe???

You right ,unfortunately Lebanon just can't take part in eurovission.

But Mika can represent Uk

• 7 months later...
J’ai trouve cet article dans le magazine québécoise La Semaine, pour voir la photo de l’article en français cliquez sur la photo.

La Semaine

LaSemaineMika1WebSmall.jpgLaSemaineMika2WebSmall.jpg

I fount this article on a magazine from Quebec called La Semaine, click on the pictures to see a bigger version.

It’s originally in French, I translated it, but it might not be perfect. I’m sure you will be able to understand. (If you find something that it’s not right, you can tell me and I’ll correct it!:thumb_yello: ) (I think the information here contradicts with somethings that have been said before, but I translated the information as it was.)

La Semaine

Portrait of a Star

The interpreter of Grace Kelly and Love Today.

Mika’s 50 secrets.

The likable Mika makes us dance with the successful songs Love Today and Grace Kelly. His album Life in Cartoon Motion is a true anthem to the pleasures of life.

1. His name is Michael “Mica” Holbrook Penniman.

2. His family nickname is Mica. He changed the c by a k for professional reasons.

3. He was born under the sign of Leo, August 18th 1983.

4. He was born in Beirut, Lebanon, just like Keanu Reeves, that he knows well, and is his favourite actor.

5. He is 1.91m (6’3”) tall and weighs 82.8 km (183 lb).

6. He is single.

7. His sexual orientation being unceasingly the object of questions, he answers that he doesn’t have accounts to anybody and that public must take him for what he is first and foremost, a singer and a musician.

8. He is author, composer and interpreter.

9. His mother is from Lebanon-Syrian origin and his father American.

10. His father is a banker and his mother a housewife.

11. Because of the political context of his country, his family leaves Lebanon when he was one year old, to settle in Paris.

12. He was 9 years old when his family leaves the city of light to settle in London.

13. During the Golf war, in 1990, his dad was held, for security reasons, at the United States embassy in Koweit, during 7 moths.

14. He is third in a family of five brothers.

15. His older sister, Yasmine, an artist with the Penname Dawack, did the booklet of his album Life in Cartoon Motion.

16. He lives in the basement of his parents 5.3 millions $ house, in South Kensigton, in London’s suburbs.

17. In Paris, he studied at The “Lycée Français Charles Gaulle” where he was described by his teachers as “a slow student.” They later noticed he suffered from dysphasia (central disorder linked to verbal communication.)

18. due to the negative attitude of his teachers and sarcasm of his classmates, his mother became his home school teacher during two years.

19. In London, he studied primary school at St. Phillips in Kensington, after he did high school at Westminster. Later, he studied at the Royal College of Music, which he left to record his first album.

20. He doesn’t like to label his music style, but he says it’s between pop, rock, power pop, dance pop and glam rock.

21. He signed a contract with Universal-Casablanca Records.

22. He plays piano, guitar and a little bit of drums.

23. His voice can reach 5 octaves.

24. Because of his vocal acrobatics and his facility to sing in high tones, he is often compared to Freddie Mercury, from Queen.

25. He had as a teacher a known Russian opera singer called Alla Ardalov.

26. He was chosen as the most popular and most promising singer by a survey done in England by “Sound of 2007”.

27. He composed his first song at the age of 7. It was called “Angry”.

28. His first single Relax, Take it easy, released in fall 2006, passed completely unperceived. It’s the song Grace Kelly that launched him.

29. On Relax, Take It Easy, it’s found the melody of I Just Died in Your Arms, by Cutting Crew.

30. He speaks French as well as English.

31. At 11 years old, he played in an opera of Richard Strauss at the Royal Opera House.

32. At 15 years old, his performance in Vaughan William’s production “The Pilgrim’s Progress” at the Royal Opera House, gave him good critiques and the first pages of musical publication.

33. In January 21st, 2007, the song Grace Kelly dominated every British chart and became the second song to attain this position, thanks to downloads only.

34. Life in Cartoon Motion, his first album was launched by Universal Records, February 5th, 2007.

35. This first album gave him good comparisons to Freddie Mercury, Scissor Sisters, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Robbie Williams and David Bowie.

36. He wrote music that was played at all British Airways planes.

37. He wrote the music for a chewing-gum commercial.

38. He has a terrible fear of water and of sharks.

39. Like author-composer he fixed and objective so that his songs are not sung at karaoke.

40. He would like to be the first singer and composer to represent Lebanon at the contest Eurovision Song Contest of 2009.

41. He collaborated with Madonna’s next album that will come out in October 2007.

42. He set up his own company “Dodgy Holiday Tours”, that has links to an Irish accountants firm, of which the Gallagher brothers are clients.

43. He is allergic to seafood and peanut butter.

44. His favourite male singers are Placido Domingo, Freddie Mercury, Tony Bennett and Sir Elton John.

45. His favourite female singers are Beverly Sills, Madonna, Aniie Lennox and Cleo Lane.

46. He promised himself to write an opera rock before his thirties.

47. On his next album he will duo with the opera singer Dame Kiri te Kanawa and the rocker Annie Lennox.

49. He was supposed to do a show in Montreal in profit of the “Club des Petits Dejeuners” this past august 10th. But he had to cancel his visit because of his injury.

50. It was Gregory Charles that replaced him.

#46 ambitious boy:naughty: begin with little step:cool:

#47 is this confirmed?:blink:

#49:mf_rosetinted:

WOW! I didn't think anyone would find this thread ever again! It's been a long time!!

It was discussed in this thread that most of this information was not very accurate, some of the things the MFCs know by heart and can detect in matter of seconds, as inaccurate information. :roftl:

#46 Maybe he was just joking when he said that. We can't even be sure if he even said it. But I think everyone agrees when i say, we would love to see that.

I don't think #47 has been confirmed. As he has kept the second album very secret.

sadly #49 was true (the cancelling part) :mf_rosetinted: but Montreal got one of THE most amazing Mika concerts in history!!! (:punk: that is my opinion) So we have forgotten about that incident.

firstly- is that true? #41.

and hahahaha i didnt know he hurt himself! i feel bad coz of how i laughed!

#47 could actually be true! I mean, he said he would be working with other musicians in the Beijing interview:shocked:

firstly- is that true? #41.

and hahahaha i didnt know he hurt himself! i feel bad coz of how i laughed!

#41. The album didn't come out in 2007. Actually Madonna's new album will be released April 29th. But I read somewhere that he didn't, that he would totally jump at an opportunity to work with Madonna, I just can't remember where i saw that! Madonna's NEW album at Amazon.com

So I guess in a few days we will know for sure if he collaborated or not in the album.

He did hurt himself by falling of the drum set, but that was not the reason he cancelled that specific show, it was because of his voice, and the fact that travelling was not very good for it. He was in New York that day, and he would have had to take the plane to arrive to Quebec, and I think the doctors recommended he didn't fly.

If anyone has more information on this, please say so, as I am not completelly sure of the sources of my information. :naughty: This are just facts i have stored in my brain because I spend so much time on the MFC!