Mika vs Mika: The Mikster might have to change his name...

Niki27

Mouaha, that's a bit harsh.

If she decided to drop all charges, Universal should have backed off, and not attack her.

I fully agree. But it looks like Universal is not alone on this one' date=' Mika himself attacks her too.

I bet she does not have the money anyway. I would not like to be at her place... Many restless nights to come for her...[/quote']

I think it's harsh too, but maybe it's more Universal's decision since they always want money and they're selling less CDs because of downloads...

But it's not that bad asking for the procedure costs, after all she made them spend money for nothing.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not that bad asking for the procedure costs, after all she made them spend money for nothing.

I agree

It was, but Mika should be a gentleman and let this all stupid thing die out, don't you think?

Yes, maybe you're right, but I think it's under pressure of the record company

maybe it's better that she pays the procedure costs and that they forget the whole case...

I`m sorry, but I don`t think it is harsh at all. If someone sued me clearly for publicity, threatened to cancel one of my gigs and then decided that it wasn`t worth it, after getting all the free publicity and making me spend a lot of money on lawyers, I wouldn`t let it go. It's a matter of principles (and of course it would set a precedent).

Whoa! So am I to understand that Mika/Universal/LiveNation are counter-suing to the tune of 30,000 euros, on the basis of legal costs and such, because Belgian Mika backed down? :shocked:

Just goes to show that you can't mess with big-ass mega-corporations, now can you. Wow.

I don't know what LiveNation has to do with it - aren't they just a concert promoter? Wasn't Mika's Belgian gig sold out depsite all the legal blah?

I`m sorry, but I don`t think it is harsh at all. If someone sued me clearly for publicity, threatened to cancel one of my gigs and then decided that it wasn`t worth it, after getting all the free publicity and making me spend a lot of money on lawyers, I wouldn`t let it go. It's a matter of principles (and of course it would set a precedent).

Huumm if you put it that way I agree it's less harsh :wink2:

But it's a lot of money...well, for me.

You should be a lawyer!:punk: or are you one already?

I have to agree. She's wasted time and money on something she didn't even completely carry out. They just want their money, which they spent on a case which was cut short because she decided to quit, back.

So I take it then this was basically settled last time round, but Universal weren't happy about it coming to court and want their money back.

Sounds fair enough.

I can't help feeling she shot herself in the foot with this. I mean has she sold any records on the back of it, done a successful tour which ha made her a bit of money, does anyone know?

Because if she hasn't, then what was the point, if she didn't succeed in what she set out to do, stop the concert.

All it's done is given her 15 mins of fame, quite literally, and now back to where she was before, but 30,000 € down. Can't see that it was worth it personally.

vrijdag 11 april 2008 10:00:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proces Mika tegen Mika: Belgische gaat schadevergoeding eisen

De Belgische zangeres Mika is niet van plan om lang in de positie van beklaagde te blijven zitten. Dat heeft ze gezegd aan Belga. Ze gaat waarschijnlijk een vordering tot schadevergoeding indienen voor de burgerlijke rechtbank van Brussel.

De Belgische Mika, wiens echte naam Sophie Michalakoudis is, probeerde in november tevergeefs een concert van de Britse Mika, bekend van wereldhits als "Grace Kelly", te verhinderen. Ze stelde dat ze niet meer aan de bak kwam door de mogelijke verwarring met Michaël Penniman. Kort daarna liet ze weten dat ze afzag van alle gerechtelijke stappen, maar de beklaagden lieten het daar niet bij en duwden Michalakoudis op hun beurt in de positie van beklaagde. De Britse Mika, Universal en Live Nation eisen nu 30.000 euro van Michalakoudis wegens tergend en roekeloos geding, plus procedurekosten. (LEE)

http://entertainment.be.msn.com/showbizz/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8043434

translation

Friday 11 April 2008 10:00:12 ----------------------------------------------Process Mika against Mika: Belgian woman claims damages

the Belgian singer Mika don't wants to stay for long time in the position of accused, she said to Belga. She will submit probably a progress to damages for the civil court of Brussels.

The Belgian Mika, whose real name is Sophie Michalakoudis, tried in November in vain to cancel a concert of the British Mika, confessed of worldhits such as "Grace Kelly". She stated that she no longer came to the barge by the possible misfiring with Mica Penniman. Afterwards she let briefly know that she abandoned all judicial steps, but the accused did not leave it thereby and pushed Michalakoudis for their part in the position of pitied. The British Mika, Universal and live Nation require euro now 30,000 of Michalakoudis because of provocatively and reckless lawsuit, plus procedure costs. (LEE)

sorry if there are mistakes in it but I'm not so good in translating :-s

i completely agree ! she should have thought twice before launching this attack, which was stupid, to begin with... and she didn't even manage to milk the visibility that this story offered her... and now she feels it's not worth it and just want everybody to forget about it and stay good friends... nonsense !! :thumbdown:

Universal wants her to pay for the time and the money they spent/wasted on her case, and it's quite fair...

i agree that the amount of money they're asking for is huge, but they probably want to raise a clear "don't mess with us because we're big players" flag.. just in case other unknown artists want to try the same trick in the future.

(i can def' feel that what i've written sounds nothing like english but i couldn't sleep last night and i just can't find my words today, even in french... :sleep_1: )

I live in Belgium, my dad is a lawyer, my mum's a judge, I know the legal system well enough to say it's one of the cheapest in the world and no case could cost anyone the ridiculous amount of 30 000 euro.

So it's more than just a question of wanting their money back...

Now she's suiting them again, in front of a civil court... Universal wanted to play that game, and they might end up screwed.

I live in Belgium, my dad is a lawyer, my mum's a judge, I know the legal system well enough to say it's one of the cheapest in the world and no case could cost anyone the ridiculous amount of 30 000 euro.

Now she's suiting them again, in front of a civil court... Universal wanted to play that game, and they might end up screwed.

you know what's strange; We didn't know that she dropped the case until now;

When I saw the news in "Gazet van Antwerpen" I almost fell of my chair and I couldn't believe it until I searched the Internet. I thought it was a mistake.

Why didn't any newspaper said something before or did you girls knew this already and did I missed it somehow.

Even if the legal system in Belgium is cheap, maybe Universal decided to fly in their corporate lawyers, from the UK, or even from the US... It might still have cost them an eye, then...

(still have cost ?? still have costed ??? oh God, i just can't think in english properly today... what's the correct form ??? )

Even if the legal system in Belgium is cheap, maybe Universal decided to fly in their corporate lawyers, from the UK, or even from the US... It might still have cost them an eye, then...

(still have cost ?? still have costed ??? oh God, i just can't think in english properly today... what's the correct form ??? )

Forest National lui réclame donc 10.000 euros. Pour Live Nation, Me Didier Deneuter a réclamé le même montant, soulignant que Mme Michalakoudis avait surtout "mené la procédure dans la presse et elle y a eu son heure de gloire". "Maintenant, il faut assumer!", a observé le plaideur.

Pour Mika et Universal, Mes Nicolas Clarembeaux et Rocco Spagnuolo ont également réclamé 10.000 euros

/it was in the link i just posted

the correct form is the one that sounds the best, the one you like, the rest belongs to the past

Je crois que c'est cost, cost, cost, mais maintenant je doute aussi :roftl:

I doubt any belgian judge would give such a fee, anyway. They're desilusional here, I'd say.

Anyway... not my problem, atfer all :roftl:

well i dont have a clue if online translation is reliable or not so if you need to know anything you dont get , dont hesitate:wink2:

I know online translation can be very mesed up but I know a litle French.

So when I put the two together I manged to understand it all.

But thank you very much! very sweet of you:thumb_yello:

So I take it then this was basically settled last time round, but Universal weren't happy about it coming to court and want their money back.

Sounds fair enough.

I can't help feeling she shot herself in the foot with this. I mean has she sold any records on the back of it, done a successful tour which ha made her a bit of money, does anyone know?

Because if she hasn't, then what was the point, if she didn't succeed in what she set out to do, stop the concert.

All it's done is given her 15 mins of fame, quite literally, and now back to where she was before, but 30,000 € down. Can't see that it was worth it personally.

if she wanted 15 mins of fame, all she had to do is apply to become a lollipop girl! :roftl: :roftl: :roftl: (it would have been cheaper for her!)