Mika @ Le Zénith, Paris, 24-10-2007: GIG REVIEWS!

dcdeb

I agree I think it's unusual. Yeah he's human, blah, blah, blah. The problem with that theory is that other humans do this all the time without becoming so run down in such a short space of time.

Perhaps Mika's just having a run of bad luck with an injury and he's not ill, but I still have to wonder if he's cut out for this life. He just may not have the kind of constitution required to live a touring lifestyle.

You may be right but it's not like he's James Blunt or some other boring git......whining on, sitting pootling away at a piano, etc..........he is giving a 110% nigh on gymnastic performance which I personally find astounding! :mf_lustslow:

I always recall the day of the Big Girl shoot.........it was at the height of the ear infection 'scandal'.........he coughed and yawned all through the day but was so focused on the fiming and checking the playback with the director etc, then spent time chatting to everyone between takes.......he only had time to snack even though we got a lunch break. We didn't finish filming til 9pm after which he took time to speak to every single person there and signed a photo for them before helping the crew pack up the props etc which meant it was gone 10pm before he left Croydon. I then saw him play at the Big Weekend in Preston the next day and he was on top form!

My point being that I woke up with what felt like a hang over from the tiredness. I had sun burn from being outside filming all day, was stiff from doing the running scenes over and over and over again and almost didn't make it to Preston for the gig! He was unwell but still took it in his stride.

That was just one 36 hour period that I had to keep up with him for and it was soooo hard.

Actually, I'm knackered if I go to a pub quiz on a school night! :roftl:

Let alone do what he's doing several nights on the trot! :shocked:

Vix x

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right but it's not like he's James Blunt or some other boring git......whining on, sitting pootling away at a piano, etc.....

:roftl: No he's not a boring git, but big performers like Justin Timberlake, Madonna, etc. are doing a helluva a lot more than Mika. Not only is their dancing professional, but their sets are twice as long and their tour schedules run from 6 months to 2 years. If they were hobbling around after 2 weeks they'd never pull it off.

I'm not suggesting that's it's easy or common to have that kind of stamina. It does take a special person with a special type of constitution. But when Mika talks about laying around on the sofa watching Holly Oaks and Tricia I'm reminded more of my lazy-ass self than Prince or Gwen Stefani.

If I manage to make it through 3 days of attending Mika concerts without crawling home crying it will be a miracle. If he's anything like me, performing those concerts must knock Mika flat on his ass and from what we've seen that's a distinct possibility.

:roftl: No he's not a boring git, but big performers like Justin Timberlake, Madonna, etc. are doing a helluva a lot more than Mika. Not only is their dancing professional, but their sets are twice as long and their tour schedules run from 6 months to 2 years. If they were hobbling around after 2 weeks they'd never pull it off.

I'm not suggesting that's it's easy or common to have that kind of stamina. It does take a special person with a special type of constitution. But when Mika talks about laying around on the sofa watching Holly Oaks and Tricia I'm reminded more of my lazy-ass self than Prince or Gwen Stefani.

If I manage to make it through 3 days of attending Mika concerts without crawling home crying it will be a miracle. If he's anything like me, performing those concerts must knock Mika flat on his ass and from what we've seen that's a distinct possibility.

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl: That's such a funny image!!

Seriously though, I think of JT as a gym going, straight (not in a sexual way), sun bedding, guy's guy who would be focused on how manly he appeared when performing..........I just think Mika is such an impulsive, emotional kind of performer that I can't exactly picture him pumping iron in the gym on a six week plan prior to a big world tour. I see him more eating extra nuts and seeds...and maybe downing a few more fruit smoothies in the week leading up to his crazy whirlwind week or two of showing off like a two year old resulting in him becoming over tired and crying before being sent to bed!!! (Oh no, I'm back in the Secret Diaries thread!) :roftl:

Vix x

I'm wondering if, just because Mika is much more of an approachable artist, we don't just see the affects on him more than we would another artist such as Madonna or Justin. Plus, those artists have been doing it for ages, Madonna since before I was born and Justin since he was about sixteen in N'Sync.

Mika is still in the youth of his career. He's only been touring for about a year, and he has never done anything like this before. I can sort of understand how he would feel, being a rather normal young adult myself, and I can imagine that I, with my generally simple, "do whatever" lifestyle, would definitely feel the affects of touring in such a way as he does. He is young, probably feels a bit of the "invincibility" as Vixen said, and doesn't get enough rest when he should or can, but still feels as if he can do it.

He'll live, though. I think that he probably is pushing himself a bit too much, but I have faith in him. I don't believe that he would overdo it or go too far. He knows his body better than I or anyone else does, and he knows when he's done too much. I think that he generally takes care of himself, or tries to, so I'm not going to worry too much with this tour like I did over the summer. He knows his limits, and I don't think that he would risk himself or his career if he were in such a bad shape.

I'm wondering if, just because Mika is much more of an approachable artist, we don't just see the affects on him more than we would another artist such as Madonna or Justin. Plus, those artists have been doing it for ages, Madonna since before I was born and Justin since he was about sixteen in N'Sync.

Mika is still in the youth of his career. He's only been touring for about a year, and he has never done anything like this before. I can sort of understand how he would feel, being a rather normal young adult myself, and I can imagine that I, with my generally simple, "do whatever" lifestyle, would definitely feel the affects of touring in such a way as he does. He is young, probably feels a bit of the "invincibility" as Vixen said, and doesn't get enough rest when he should or can, but still feels as if he can do it.

He'll live, though. I think that he probably is pushing himself a bit too much, but I have faith in him. I don't believe that he would overdo it or go too far. He knows his body better than I or anyone else does, and he knows when he's done too much. I think that he generally takes care of himself, or tries to, so I'm not going to worry too much with this tour like I did over the summer. He knows his limits, and I don't think that he would risk himself or his career if he were in such a bad shape.

I thought the same about how new he is to this world......there's been no build up to it.

As for taking care of himself........see my previous post about the nuts and seeds! :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

Vix x

:roftl: :roftl: :roftl: That's such a funny image!!

Seriously though, I think of JT as a gym going, straight (not in a sexual way), sun bedding, guy's guy who would be focused on how manly he appeared when performing..........I just think Mika is such an impulsive, emotional kind of performer that I can't exactly picture him pumping iron in the gym on a six week plan prior to a big world tour. I see him more eating extra nuts and seeds...and maybe downing a few more fruit smoothies in the week leading up to his crazy whirlwind week or two of showing off like a two year old resulting in him becoming over tired and crying before being sent to bed!!! (Oh no, I'm back in the Secret Diaries thread!) :roftl:

Vix x

Mika said he went to the gym. I don't remember where he mentioned it though...

I don't remember where I hear it.....I may have read it, more than once too so yeah haha

He said in Japan (the MTV thingie earlier this year) that he found the stage so big that he didn't have to go to the gym anymore because running from one side of the stage to the other were enough training for a week... or smth in these lines...

Mika said he went to the gym. I don't remember where he mentioned it though...

I've never heard him mention it but it's pretty obvious.

I like the sofa surfing idea more!! :naughty:

Vix x

The trouble is with the one day on/one day off is two fold.

Firstly, it's like working a split shift in your own job. You want to go to work and get your job out of the way so that you have a weekend or every evening, etc off to enjoy, rest, sleep. If you had to go in for a few hours in the morning then travel all the way home and have to go back again for a few hours in the evening it would make you feel like all you ever did was work.

I'm guessing he'd prefer the intensity.........followed by the rest in the same way.

The other big consideration is the cost of having the band, crew, vehicles and equipment hanging around for the days off in between every show. It would cost a fortune and cause everyone around him frustration waiting for him to rest (which would have to be in expensive hotels where no-one ever fully relaxes) between shows.

Ok,that makes sense, I had just never thought of the logistics of it like that....:blink:

I just think Mika is such an impulsive, emotional kind of performer that I can't exactly picture him pumping iron in the gym on a six week plan prior to a big world tour. I see him more eating extra nuts and seeds...and maybe downing a few more fruit smoothies in the week leading up

I don't think that any amount of seeds and nuts would give anyone the muscles he's been sporting lately! haha!!!

They're healthy all right, but they will not create muscle mass in the way that Mika has grown, lol! Only good old fashioned exercise can cause that :mf_lustslow:

I like the sofa surfing idea more!! :naughty:

Vix x

Yeah I'm getting more couch potato than bodybuilder from Mika. But he's really going to have to take a different approach if he wants to tour for a living.

Everyone gasps in horror at his current schedule but it's only going to get more intense as his set gets longer and he has to cover more territory.

I think the launch of the next album could be just as difficult as this one because he still hasn't broken in the US, but he needs to keep up the momentum he has in Europe. And he has to get back to all these other places he's been neglecting like Asia, Canada and Australia.

Thank you! :thumb_yello:

I can't get enough of this song. I wonder why he hesitated during the opening lines?

bad timing, he started too early... i haven't watched the video, but when he started, cherisse was doing big "no" signs with her drumsticks but he never saw it... but realized alone, then went on and they all finally got the good timing...

bad timing, he started too early... i haven't watched the video, but when he started, wherisse was doing big "no" signs with her drumsticks but he never saw it... but realized alone, then went on and they all finally got the good timing...

Ah thanks! It looked like some sort of equipment problem.

Ah thanks! It looked like some sort of equipment problem.

i just had a look... you really can't see it on the video actually, but that's why he looked at martin (to his right) stopped... then sang, then stopped again and started again to another point of the song :wink2: