Mika by "Wetten, dass...?"

*Anna*

Ok so I finally got to watch it...and just to compare I also watched SYTYCD.

I must admit that there's a big difference between them IMO!

In the US show he does seem all full of energy and like he's sort of enjoying it, whereas in Austria it really looks like he's trying hard to do it properly but it's taking him a lot of effort, if that makes any sense...

I don't think that Mika's performance here was "bad", because he is a professional and he doesn't give bad shows, and whether he's more or less energetic he still always delivers, but there did seem to be a clear lack of vitality and he just looks drawn and tired.

To be quite frank, in my opinion some opinions about his performance are a bit exagerated, as I don't think that he looks THAT ill or that awful... :wink2:

In my eyes he just sounds hoarse and looks exhausted and like he needs a good rest, but I think that he seemed sicker last Sunday in Brixton.

It's hard to say because all we're seeing here is a one song TV appearance, and I would imagine that it's hard to get into things for him as well.

One thing that I've always noticed at his gigs is that he always needs to "get into it" himself and that during the first song (coincidentally it's Relax) always seems to me like he's very tense and "spaced out" if that makes any sense. Then after this he loosens up and gets into the swing of things.

Here he is only singing one song which is Relax, so maybe part of what we're seeing is also that? Maybe this song requires more concentration from him than say, Grace Kelly??

Who knows!

In any case I don't think that it helps that he's singing without having Martin on stage there, who is ALWAYS his companion even if there's no full band (so many of his promo work in the past he's done only with Martin).

Surely this whole reshuffle of band members must also affect him...plus the fact that they're not playing live music...I'm sure that he prefers the "real" deal where everything is live and properly done.

Oh, and I think that it was an incredibly poor decision to have Saranayde just "holding" the bass- :boxed:I mean WTF is that??

If you're going to play an instrument, play it, but holding it just makes her look really silly and instead of adding to the show, it makes things look downright ridiculous.

I mean, Mickey, Cherisse and Luke managed to "look" a bit more realistic, no?

I think that having her do that, coupled with her weird moves, just didn't help matters at all. She totally looked like a flowerpot.

Sorry for all the Saranayde fans out there but imo this was just stupid- She can sing very well, has a great voice, but I think that that is where the line should be drawn.

On a positive note, I loved the decor with all the cartoon stuff, the "burning" couch, and Mika's open shirt.

He just looked very "slick" if that's the word. Not that I like the granny hair though :roftl:.

Oh and also the interviewer- What's wrong with that guy?! Could he BE anymore akward? Or horrible?

Mika looked quite uncomfortable with him, and that last move where Mika was walking towards him and he PUSHED him back?:blink: I couldn't believe it.

:wink2: Oh well- Review over

Let's just hope that now he REALLY takes a holiday, because he desperately needs it and he's got a lot of shows to do in jan-feb for which he has to get well for.

I want our lovely bubbly Mika back:sneaky2::wub2:

fully agree!!!!!! he did a great job but ....

don't blame him if he didn't do 250%

first i wanted to quote just some parts of that post - but everything is just what i'm thinking of - couldn't tell it better!!!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the US show he does seem all full of energy and like he's sort of enjoying it, whereas in Austria it really looks like he's trying hard to do it properly but it's taking him a lot of effort, if that makes any sense...

I don't think that Mika's performance here was "bad", because he is a professional and he doesn't give bad shows, and whether he's more or less energetic he still always delivers, but there did seem to be a clear lack of vitality and he just looks drawn and tired.

To be quite frank, in my opinion some opinions about his performance are a bit exagerated, as I don't think that he looks THAT ill or that awful...

In my eyes he just sounds hoarse and looks exhausted and like he needs a good rest, but I think that he seemed sicker last Sunday in Brixton.

It's hard to say because all we're seeing here is a one song TV appearance, and I would imagine that it's hard to get into things for him as well.

One thing that I've always noticed at his gigs is that he always needs to "get into it" himself and that during the first song (coincidentally it's Relax) always seems to me like he's very tense and "spaced out" if that makes any sense. Then after this he loosens up and gets into the swing of things.

Here he is only singing one song which is Relax, so maybe part of what we're seeing is also that? Maybe this song requires more concentration from him than say, Grace Kelly??

Who knows!

In any case I don't think that it helps that he's singing without having Martin on stage there, who is ALWAYS his companion even if there's no full band (so many of his promo work in the past he's done only with Martin).

Surely this whole reshuffle of band members must also affect him...plus the fact that they're not playing live music...I'm sure that he prefers the "real" deal where everything is live and properly done.

Oh, and I think that it was an incredibly poor decision to have Saranayde just "holding" the bass- :boxed:I mean WTF is that??

If you're going to play an instrument, play it, but holding it just makes her look really silly and instead of adding to the show, it makes things look downright ridiculous.

I think that having her do that, coupled with her weird moves, just didn't help matters at all. She totally looked like a flowerpot.

Sorry for all the Saranayde fans out there but imo this was just stupid- She can sing very well, has a great voice, but I think that that is where the line should be drawn.

On a positive note, I loved the decor with all the cartoon stuff, the "burning" couch, and Mika's open shirt.

He just looked very "slick" if that's the word. Not that I like the granny hair though :roftl:.

Oh and also the interviewer- What's wrong with that guy?! Could he BE anymore akward? Or horrible?

Mika looked quite uncomfortable with him, and that last move where Mika was walking towards him and he PUSHED him back?:blink: I couldn't believe it.

Let's just hope that now he REALLY takes a holiday, because he desperately needs it and he's got a lot of shows to do in jan-feb for which he has to get well for.

Oh Sara, that's a long review! :biggrin2:

I agree with most of it!

I dunno why Thomas was asking such strange things tonight...hmmm, could have been more "communicating" with Mika...

Anyway, Mika will get some rest now (at least that's what I hope)...and he'll be back full of new energy in 2008!

Thanks Leonita! Mika was definitely more sparkling in SYTYCD than in Wetten Dass. Not only his voice was more powerful in SYTYCD, it was the entire man himself being more powerful.

Don't get me wrong, his performance in Wetten Das was not 'bad' as in 'he failed'. He was just not the Mika we're used to see. I've seen him much much more sparkling. And in that light I think he did much better in SYTYCD.

I am sure he did his best yesterday, maybe even the best he could. Can't blame him for not being in shape at this moment and I won't do that either.

I think he will be glad for the coverage he gets, and sorry for the fact he couldn't do any better than he did, but he is so clearly unwell. TO US!! Not to the audience, I think they liked it very much!

I loved the set, thought it was great for TV, but for us it looked so weird having everyone changing places and instruments, and not really playing them, and the interview was sort of weird....

I just cannot see Mika going sleigh riding if he is sick. But maybe it was indoors as someone said.:boxed:

I think ill or not Mika just has a hard time connecting with his audience on TV shows. HE can't do whatever he usually does to connect with people, its not entirely his ballgame (i mean, its someone else show) and i bet that is always a disappointment. But... all in all i think he's getting better at it though. I mean, lets compare the SYTYCD with this one. Wow,BIG DIFFERENCE.

To be quite frank, in my opinion some opinions about his performance are a bit exagerated, as I don't think that he looks THAT ill or that awful...

Who knows!

Yes, that. I second everything of it.

I think that we are very spoilt already as far as his 'own' shows are concerned and so that performance might have appeared rather 'poor' to some. Still it wasn't bad and I think the purpose - to maybe reach a few more people who weren't aware of him so far - was served. I'm far from wanting to overrate it all but I had to think of the tv things he has done earlier this year in Germany. And I don't want to say it almost seemed to me as if those performances were kinda cursed, but strange. The SWR3 thing was more than weird and of course the whole dubbing thing didn't help a lot. Plus he seemed downright misplaced in that show. And then the TV Total performance which was a bit strange too. I have the impression that the hosts of those shows are either not very well informed (which doesn't make them look good IMO) or just don't know what to do with him. And this is just past my comprehension. I don't understand it.

Oh and yes I noticed that pushing back move of Thomas G. in the end and found it really a bit odd. I mean he (Thomas Gottschalk) has been hosting this show and others for ages, he's not exactly a beginner and shouldn't behave that way. It seemed impulsive to me, but I'm not a psychologist so maybe my interpretation is a bit over the top...

As for his (Thomas') weird and often offensive approach in interviews I can only say that this is probably the reason why he got this show. People want to see celebs in awkward situations. So that silly question asked there was not anything that was done especially for Mika. Still it was silly.

But I love Mika's reaction to it. And how everybody now is discussing how he could go sleigh riding while he's ill and whether it was indoors or not.... Maybe he wasn't doing anything like that at all :mf_rosetinted:

Sleigh riding is a nice word, isn't it? Like Grace Kelly.

About the "sleigh ride" part...there really is no cure for the common cold. Most of us already know that it's a myth that being outside in the cold will make you sick - Actually, it's staying indoors in enclosed places that make the spread of viruses easier.

If Mika was dressed warmly, then he is not comprimising his body's immune strength.

But of course...I 'cringed' too, when he said that - because you can just imagine what everyone else is thinking. :blink:

About the "sleigh ride" part...there really is no cure for the common cold. Most of us already know that it's a myth that being outside in the cold will make you sick - Actually, it's staying indoors in enclosed places that make the spread of viruses easier.

If Mika was dressed warmly, then he is not comprimising his body's immune strength.

But of course...I 'cringed' too, when he said that - because you can just imagine what everyone else is thinking. :blink:

Maybe it was just a social desirable answer? I mean - when people come to Austria in winter they're supposed to enjoy playing around in the snow. :naughty:

Yes, that. I second everything of it.

I think that we are very spoilt already as far as his 'own' shows are concerned and so that performance might have appeared rather 'poor' to some. Still it wasn't bad and I think the purpose - to maybe reach a few more people who weren't aware of him so far - was served. I'm far from wanting to overrate it all but I had to think of the tv things he has done earlier this year in Germany. And I don't want to say it almost seemed to me as if those performances were kinda cursed, but strange. The SWR3 thing was more than weird and of course the whole dubbing thing didn't help a lot. Plus he seemed downright misplaced in that show. And then the TV Total performance which was a bit strange too. I have the impression that the hosts of those shows are either not very well informed (which doesn't make them look good IMO) or just don't know what to do with him. And this is just past my comprehension. I don't understand it.

Oh and yes I noticed that pushing back move of Thomas G. in the end and found it really a bit odd. I mean he (Thomas Gottschalk) has been hosting this show and others for ages, he's not exactly a beginner and shouldn't behave that way. It seemed impulsive to me, but I'm not a psychologist so maybe my interpretation is a bit over the top...

As for his (Thomas') weird and often offensive approach in interviews I can only say that this is probably the reason why he got this show. People want to see celebs in awkward situations. So that silly question asked there was not anything that was done especially for Mika. Still it was silly.

But I love Mika's reaction to it. And how everybody now is discussing how he could go sleigh riding while he's in and whether it was indoors or not.... Maybe he wasn't doing anything like that at all :mf_rosetinted:

Sleigh riding is a nice word, isn't it? Like Grace Kelly.

What SWR3 thing? :boxed:

Maybe it was just a social desirable answer? I mean - when people come to Austria in winter they're supposed to enjoy playing around in the snow. :naughty:

I'd love to see what kind of artistic snowman Mika would create. Top hat and braces is what I envision. :biggrin2:

ok, the direct link isn't working....

do it this way:

1. go on http://www.zdf.de

2. click on "zdf mediathek"

3. click on "sendungen"

4. chose "wetten dass in graz"

5. chose "mehr aus Wetten dass in graz"

6. page 2 "Mika gewinnen ist nicht alles"

or easier:

type Mika in the little search box on http://www.zdf.de homepage, then chose the video result "Mika: Gewinnen ist nicht alles"

He is wearing the Kuifje t-shirt he wore in Brussels. :biggrin2:

Doesnt work for me :blink:

Fill in 'Mika' in the search box top right, click the looking glass, then there is a link to a 12 min interview filmed on 8/12/07 - tick the box and click the orange arrow.

Hey, I like this interview. :original:

Nice interviewer, nice questions AND it is in English without dubbing!

[Edit] After watching the entire interview I still like it. And I saw the sparkling eyes again - thank god, they are still there! :thumb_yello:

Hehe, so Mika is obsessed with Renee Zellweger - sitting at her doorstep and selling breadcrumps on Ebay... :naughty: - Mika, don't bring us to ideas please... :naughty:

The 14 year old golfball guy impressed me too btw. :biggrin2:

Hey, I like this interview. :original:

Nice interviewer, nice questions AND it is in English without dubbing!

[Edit] After watching the entire interview I still like it. And I saw the sparkling eyes again - thank god, they are still there! :thumb_yello:

Hehe, so Mika is obsessed with Renee Zellweger - sitting at her doorstep and selling breadcrumps on Ebay... :naughty: - Mika, don't bring us to ideas please... :naughty:

The 14 year old golfball guy impressed me too btw. :biggrin2:

I love it, too!!! He looks great in the interview....and I had to giggle all the way through! :biggrin2:

I'm sitting here thinking *Are you guys serious???*.

Its a matter of opinion, but i really liked everything. I seriously loved the background and little changes they do with the wardrobe and makeup. Its so fun and exciting since they can't put everything they want to in the actual performance.... so it kinda makes up for that. It seems like they try to go all out for the Live performances these days, and its really neat to see what they come up with every time.

Uhhh! I loved the show! I mean, the background, clothes and make-up was awesome! :punk:

But I don't think we said it wasn't good?

Uhhh! I loved the show! I mean, the background, clothes and make-up was awesome! :punk:

I said it! I said it was crap, and I still say it :)

I'm not talking about Mika here, mind you, I think he did his best in an awful context.

it was amazing for visual minds like me,:cool: but with the audio turned off:naughty:

ok I'm a lil bitchy:bleh: it was been even too much for the supposed half dead mikster:mf_rosetinted:

it was amazing for visual minds like me,:cool: but with the audio turned off:naughty:

ok I'm a lil bitchy:bleh: it was been even too much for the supposed half dead mikster:mf_rosetinted:

If at least he was a little more.....alive the background would be easier to cope with...but it did seem like he was about to drop dead any minute:blink:

I said it! I said it was crap, and I still say it :)

I'm not talking about Mika here, mind you, I think he did his best in an awful context.

Y-y-you didn't like the burning couch? :tears::no:

ok I'm a lil bitchy:bleh: it was been even too much for the supposed half dead mikster...

Haha. I also turned of the sound at one point... Wanted to make sure my dad wasn't watching it :roftl: