I cannot believe this!!!

Romis

I think that Mika is more closet-popular in the US. I know a lot of people who like him and have his CD, but there aren't as many die-hards. He is not mainstream, and the American music scene is built on commercialized, mainstream music.

Last time I checked LiCM only sold 200,000 copies in the US. That's a lot of albums, but it's a very low number per capita. It's not even half-way to gold. By comparison his album has gone platinum in Canada, which amounts to 5 times the number of sales per capita that he's seeing in the US.

And Mika is not hugely popular in Canada either - nothing compared to the UK or France. Anyone I've spoken to outside of Ontario and Quebec has never heard of him.

I think Sarie is correct that the US concerts sell out because they are small, few and far between.

I think that the biggest problem was advertisement.

He's not getting any radioplay. That's the number one problem. There's no doubt that the majority of Americans love the crap they've been wallowing in for the past 10 or 15 years but even if a small percentage of the US population takes to him it will mean huge numbers in terms of album sales. They just have to hear his music.

On a sidenote, MTV Canada interviewed Mika when he was here and made the videos, his music videos and the EMA performance available on their website. I think if MTV Canada is neglecting Mika at this stage, it's because Mika has been neglecting Canada. It didn't help that he pulled out of mentoring Canadian Idol since the network that produces Idol runs MTV.

I expect he'll get a lot of media attention when he comes back however.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From this thread, seeing Americas reaction to flamboyant gays is different than Australians, I guess.....we are more like "oh yeah, she/he's gay, whatever!"...I guess we are a more open and modern society in this aspect.

We have Emo and Goth people and the like - but you see so many different people here, really a mixed bag of types of people. I love it :)

And I love how much they play Mika on the radio :D

people...we need of you to support us in our complaint

MTV STINKS!! they're discriminatory, homophobic or whatever it deserves to be called...

the thing is:

Today they were airing the EMA's, as you in the States and Europe could see Nov 1st

they said in the TV ad, the performances of Avril, MCR, etc etc and...Mika

but the show was different...they aired all the performances, except MIKA!!!!

Not even showed him at the Red Carpet. No one camera take of MIka in the entire transmission...

He was the only one artist they cut off !!!!

some time ago, a journalist I know told me, MTV has the order to not show MIka's videos...at least MTV Latinamerica. We don't know why the management of the channel took that decition. we first thought because he's lebanese, but then we guessed it's because his 'supposed' homosexuality

If some of you know how to write to MTV, tell us. We want to make us listen!!!

I saw the emas in mtv Mexico but they cut off Mika and Tokio Hotel performances...and i searched in mtvla.com for Mika,and NOTHING,lol...i see Mika 1 time per week on VH1,and 3 in Cartoon network,ARGGHH,why they only like "indie" music?!! PURE TRASH,like volovan,nikki clan,zoe,blah,blah...im gonna send them an email :thumbdown:

Last time I checked LiCM only sold 200,000 copies in the US. That's a lot of albums, but it's a very low number per capita. It's not even half-way to gold. By comparison his album has gone platinum in Canada, which amounts to 5 times the number of sales per capita that he's seeing in the US.

And Mika is not hugely popular in Canada either - nothing compared to the UK or France. Anyone I've spoken to outside of Ontario and Quebec has never heard of him.

I think Sarie is correct that the US concerts sell out because they are small, few and far between.

He's not getting any radioplay. That's the number one problem. There's no doubt that the majority of Americans love the crap they've been wallowing in for the past 10 or 15 years but even if a small percentage of the US population takes to him it will mean huge numbers in terms of album sales. They just have to hear his music.

On a sidenote, MTV Canada interviewed Mika when he was here and made the videos, his music videos and the EMA performance available on their website. I think if MTV Canada is neglecting Mika at this stage, it's because Mika has been neglecting Canada. It didn't help that he pulled out of mentoring Canadian Idol since the network that produces Idol runs MTV.

I expect he'll get a lot of media attention when he comes back however.

lots in BC have heard of him!!!!!because i live here!!!

I know many!!!! but I know what you mean....I want him to so come here.

I saw the emas in mtv Mexico but they cut off Mika and Tokio Hotel performances...and i searched in mtvla.com for Mika,and NOTHING,lol...i see Mika 1 time per week on VH1,and 3 in Cartoon network,ARGGHH,why they only like "indie" music?!! PURE TRASH,like volovan,nikki clan,zoe,blah,blah...im gonna send them an email :thumbdown:

and there is so much good latin music too

I just don't get people's attitudes!!

MTV STINKS!! they're discriminatory, homophobic or whatever it deserves to be called...

the thing is:

Today they were airing the EMA's, as you in the States and Europe could see Nov 1st

Not even showed him at the Red Carpet. No one camera take of MIka in the entire transmission...

some time ago, a journalist I know told me, MTV has the order to not show MIka's videos...at least MTV Latinamerica. We don't know why the management of the channel took that decition. we first thought because he's lebanese, but then we guessed it's because his 'supposed' homosexuality

OMG.. it's something incredible..!! MTV STINKS!!!

emo and rock music is so dark and sad and angry. how come everyone has to be mad at life all the time? why can't they all just listen to some Love Today or Big Girl and get excited for life!

people in the states take everything so seriously, like the world is going to end in the next 57 minutes. no one just walks around to have a good time, or let themselves be free and crazy. and america also doesn't like to change. like, american's always ahve to be tough and the "perfect american guy", the straight-football-playing-blonde-haired-blued-eyed-muscular-guy. everyone here is so close-minded now. everyone judges eachother by looks and how they talk or their mannerisms.

it's getting so annoying!

emo and rock music is so dark and sad and angry. how come everyone has to be mad at life all the time? why can't they all just listen to some Love Today or Big Girl and get excited for life!

people in the states take everything so seriously, like the world is going to end in the next 57 minutes. no one just walks around to have a good time, or let themselves be free and crazy. and america also doesn't like to change. like, american's always ahve to be tough and the "perfect american guy", the straight-football-playing-blonde-haired-blued-eyed-muscular-guy. everyone here is so close-minded now. everyone judges eachother by looks and how they talk or their mannerisms.

it's getting so annoying!

Well said :thumb_yello:

"everyone here is so close-minded now" i perfectly agree xD

De nada :bleh: ,because i was the typical "dark" girl a few months ago,but when i listened to Mika i was like "HEEY! Why i listen sad music,when i can be the happiest girl right now!?"....And now,LOOK AT MEE!! im so colorful xDD

hahaha yeah, i have no idea what kind of music i would be listening to right now if i never heard his music. probably musicals. haha, but i do that anyway... haha.

but i love that i started to listen to his music because he changed my life. :blush-anim-cl:

hahaha yeah, i have no idea what kind of music i would be listening to right now if i never heard his music. probably musicals. haha, but i do that anyway... haha.

but i love that i started to listen to his music because he changed my life. :blush-anim-cl:

Yeahh...

Thank you,Mika!!! :wub2: ....for saving us :bleh:

I haven't read many of the previous posts but I can say that they cut him out in Germany as well. I watched the show live on the Thursday and the rerun on Friday to get into the right mood for the concert on Saturday and I was very surprised and disappointed when I had to realise that they had cut him out as his performance was really good. It surprised me even more because he was touring Germany at that time so I don't think that the decision was made due to a lack of popularity. After the concert in Düsseldorf I talked a bit about the EMAs with Saranayde who asked me if I saw Mika's performance there. I told her that they had cut him out in the repetition and she was really shocked when she heard about it. It must be so frustrating for everyone.

the thing is:

A similar thing happened when Channel 4 aired the World Music Awards, at which Mika won 4 trophies. We saw Avril and Rhianna getting theirs, a lot of foreigners getting theirs, and saw Mika get only one. The transmission was cut short. But even if they only had limited time, they could have shown our British (by adoption)guy getting all his awards, rather than a lot of people we don't even know getting theirs. I did complain to Channel 4 about it.

My son just told me that MTV did cut a few bands etc out of their American show. They cut off Tokio Hotel as well, and they are really good!

Love today, from Marilyn

CARTOON NETWORK?? :blink: wow. i did'nt know...it's great!

here we can see LOve Today everyday, since it's in the ranking of Much Music...it's repeated twice in the day (12 PM and 4 PM) but sometimes I miss it...:naughty: I'm really distracted

Reminds me some awards aired earlier this year (i dunno, perhaps the american awards) with tons of people we don't have the slightless idea who they are!! A hundred rap singers, plus rihanna, plus Avril lavigne who is being aired on MTV the whole day!

well, I'm not recovered yet from the edited videos, like "this love"-Maroon5 with the flowers around Adam's body :naughty: , or recently that guy Sean Kingston whose video was badly cut because it says 'suicide' in the lyrics...

i saw his performance (ema) on mtv in canada,

but i think i only saw one of his videos

which is relax, as for the radio...

lately they've been playing big girl alot

i guess they just don't play him as often as i would

like :naughty:

I think we're really lucky in Montreal. His songs play quite often on radio and his vids on musimax. Maybe not as much as before but GK, LT and Relax did great. I think he plays more on french radio station. We always love when artists speak french...

I'm surprised they cut him off. They played some sort of the EMA's highlights on MTV Adria and they showed Mika's performance+ his interview on the red carpet. On that same channel they also play Relax, Take It Easy quite often...but of course not enough (from my point of view:bleh: ).

I don't really think that rock music is so sad and angry.:blink: I mean- I love Mika's music more than anything else in my life, but rock has always been my music...there's no way I could listen to anything else (like house, rap, jazz...you get the point:wink2:), but just because I love rock that doesn't mean that I'm all sad, depressed and angry at the whole world. Of course there are some rock musicians that are really depressing and annoying, but most of them play really very good music and they're not depressing at all.:original:

People like Mika here either. Not even his video for GK stayed on very long.

But seriously, I like it. THis way he isn't going to be too mainstream. I have him all for my self :naughty:

Haha, I kind of like that Mika isn't all that mainstream, too.