Relax Single Review (warning..Manchester Evening News!)

Gatagordinha

Mika - Relax (Take It Easy) (Island)

Sarah Walters

20/12/2007

IF this was on Name That Tune, I'd defy any contestant not to be singing Cutting Crew's I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight within two bars.

The rest of it is, right enough, the usual unmistakable Mika mish-mash of high camp, high octaves and 1980s synths, with a typically inoffensive 'background-at-the-dinner-party' feel.

But it's hard not to get a little caught up in the fact that this is a re-release of the pre-Grace Kelly single.

Yes, that'll be the one that didn't launch him to worldwide fame.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/music/single_reviews/s/1029243_mika__relax_take_it_easy_island

:thumbdown: Yet another snidey review from the Manchester Evening News...

Oh well do I even care anymore? :roftl:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have submitted a comment on their page. (It hasn't been posted yet.) Just setting them straight on the fact that Relax was vey limited edition release last year and was never going to break Mika worldwide. I've also pointed out that it's been huge in Europe this year.

Just a few FACTS for this taste-free so called journo.

I have submitted a comment on their page. (It hasn't been posted yet.) Just setting them straight on the fact that Relax was vey limited edition release last year and was never going to break Mika worldwide. I've also pointed out that it's been huge in Europe this year.

good job :wink2: u would think journalists would know about these sort of things, they prove they know nothing at all :mf_rosetinted:

I actually never understood why relax wasn't his big break through and why it had only been released as a limited edition

LOL, of course they might say "I just died in your arms tonight"...but did they even realise that they werent being bitchy or clever? because the tune is actually taken off from that song LMAO.

I don't think that's the case. I think he wrote and recorded it and someone made an association so they decided to cover their ass by crediting it on the album.

Personally I don't hear it at all. That Cutting Crew song is so weak, especially the vocals. I just can't hear it in Relax. Not the way that Erase screams Robbie Williams' Angels.

I actually never understood why relax wasn't his big break through and why it had only been released as a limited edition

I think they were just testing the waters and trying to see how much of Mika the world was ready to handle. This song is more typical British pop/dance music than anything else on the album and when he started getting a good reception I think they went full steam ahead with Grace Kelly and Relax became irrelevant.

I don't think that's the case. I think he wrote and recorded it and someone made an association so they decided to cover their ass by crediting it on the album.

Personally I don't hear it at all. That Cutting Crew song is so weak, especially the vocals. I just can't hear it in Relax. Not the way that Erase screams Robbie Williams' Angels.

i do hear cutting crew's song in relax !! not the song, just the melody... you can't talk about vocals when it's the melody that is in cause with the credits... the "cover their ass" thing is what they say... i doubt about this version of the facts... it's very very very similar... in another way, i don't see mika covering something in an album like LICM... but the similarity is still very "surprising"...

I have done a comment too. Does it take a while before it's posted because I wasn't sure if I'd done it right. I'm ashamed of my own local paper! I told them to stop getting Mika haters to review his work!

Love today, from Marilyn

I have done a comment too. Does it take a while before it's posted because I wasn't sure if I'd done it right. I'm ashamed of my own local paper! I told them to stop getting Mika haters to review his work!

Love today, from Marilyn

I've read your comment MM, you are getting a bit vile there...:blink: But that's ok! They should do their homework before writing something!

The Cutting Crew melody is definitely there. I agree with Christine though, that Mika wrote it as an original melody (probably subconsciously influenced, like a lot of his work, let's be honest!) and then when the likeness was spotted, he credited it, as Christine says, to 'cover ass'.

Nice to see 'marc' stepping in there on the comments section of the review, with the other end of the Mika Marmite opinion spectrum :naughty: Ah, would we have it any other way??

My New Year's Resolution is not to let Mika Haters get to me any more. :thumb_yello:

Edit: just realised it was Christine not Caz I was quoting, have edited.

Wher do the MEN get their reporters from? :sneaky2: :sneaky2:

:sneaky2: from the Indie Snob School of Music Journalism, that's where!

What annoys me is that back in February they gave LiCM a really good review. And they gave his February show at the Academy a reasonably good review too...

So what has gone wrong since then? Wish I could remember which of their staff wrote the album review back then. They must have left/been sacked for having good taste since then :bleh: