Mika sells another piece of his soul

dcdeb

08/01/2008

1mika.jpg

Some people don't like Mika. These people are idiots.

One of the many things I love about Mika, other than his propensity for flagging up random bits of London and nabbing most of his clothes for free, is that he is a total Teflon when it comes to celebrity soul-selling. You could stand him next to Jade Goody in a crocodile pit and he'd still falsetto his way back to insouciant cheer within five minutes.

The next example is his singing at the launch of the Fiat 500, which takes place on January 21 at what its PR optimistically term an "exclusive showbiz and VIP gig at the British Airways London Eye". Hmmm, wonder what level of VIP is dying for a Fiat.

In a previous incarnation, I put the very first Mika vid on YouTube, playing the ultra-fantastic electro-pop miracle that is Relax Take It Easy at Ronnie Scott's. Here it is again now. If you're ever passing there during the day it's always worth having a look to see if there are any greedy-looking people queueing, and tuck yourself in on the end. They will be journalists waiting to be fed see some bands. Ronnie Scott's does A-MAZING snacks.

http://thelondonpaper.typepad.com/thelondonblog/2008/01/mika-sells-anot.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this person saying Mika is or isn't selling his soul by doing this gig?

Either I'm being thick, or it's not clear.

I must say that when I heard he was doing the Fiat thing I thought it was a bit odd. But as long as he keeps his Teflon on, he should come out unscathed :naughty:

Thanks for posting :thumb_yello:

He isn't selling his soul..... he making the media work for HIM!!! there is a difference!! Plus The Feeling are playing too no mention of them tho!!!

I love that video.....so young,naiive and gorgeous!!! Much preferrred him then I am sorry to say! The music has gotten much better but he is cuter being shy unstead of showing the world he knows he is buff!:roftl:

Thanks for the post DCDeb!:thumb_yello:

xx

Thanks for posting :flowers2:

...as for the shyness, I have to say to me he comes across quite shy and somewhat self-conscious on TV shows these days. Even more than he did at the spring appearances when he did that massive promo all over the globe :blink:

damn you british are so cryptic sometimes!..what's the point, Mika is an anti-diva/amazing singer?..

that's why we all love him!:wub2:

I'm British and I find this article/blog/whatever it is very cryptic too, even for us!

The writer is obviously a Mika fan and I think s(he) is saying that Mika can get away with 'seemingly' selling his soul and doing this kind of gig, because he doesn't actually give a s*** about other celebs or celebrity ligging.

I bet you anything that the press will have a go at him for it, for no good reason other than it's Mika-Bashing time again folks -but we are used to that here now, and I don't care.

So is this person saying Mika is or isn't selling his soul by doing this gig?

Either I'm being thick, or it's not clear.

I must say that when I heard he was doing the Fiat thing I thought it was a bit odd. But as long as he keeps his Teflon on, he should come out unscathed :naughty:

Thanks for posting :thumb_yello:

I got the feeling they were saying he IS selling out a bit, but that he

manages to do it in such a way that you immediately forgive him and forget

about it.

I just really loved the way the blog started. "These people are idiots."

:naughty:

dcdeb

Thanks for posting :flowers2:

...as for the shyness, I have to say to me he comes across quite shy and somewhat self-conscious on TV shows these days. Even more than he did at the spring appearances when he did that massive promo all over the globe :blink:

yes!! indeed!

I thought I was the only one thinking that!

There are no new interviews whatsoever, even though he has won so many prices and had so many nominations for his album.

yes!! indeed!

I thought I was the only one thinking that!

There are no new interviews whatsoever, even though he has won so many prices and had so many nominations for his album.

No matter what he may say, I really don't think he is at ease with the fame he now has.

Well he will just have to deal with it :wink2:

No matter what he may say, I really don't think he is at ease with the fame he now has.

We can help him deal with it by still loving him the way we always have!

When you think tho, he has wanted this for soooooo long tried so hard but nothing came of it. Then within a year he has gone from a nobody to the No1 selling artist we all know now. Nobody can prepare themselves for that type of whirlwind as nobody is sure what the future really holds. You either keep your feet on the ground and avoid the press like Mika or really sell your soul like Britney and end up not knowing what is going on anymore. I know which one I prefer and good on him!

xx

Yep, that's indeed what it looks like.

He's done everything for the world to get to know him. And that worked. We know him, well, his music.

As for the fame... that's indeed a whole different story. For someone who was once hated and bullied by so many people, it must be strange and maybe even terrifying to be so loved suddenly.

The only place were he seems at ease (well, apart from when he's with friend, family ofcourse) is when he's on stage. And also when he's with fans (I think)

I think he just underestimated the impact of fame on his personal life!

Thanks Deb... as always our intrepid googler for news!

It is interestingly worded...like he sells his soul but we hardly notice because he is so sweet...at the same time, I don't think doing a Fiat gig is selling his soul. He's probably laughing that he is playing for the VIPs, and maybe he will even get his first car???? If he gets his licence....

Thanks Deb... as always our intrepid googler for news!

It is interestingly worded...like he sells his soul but we hardly notice because he is so sweet...at the same time, I don't think doing a Fiat gig is selling his soul. He's probably laughing that he is playing for the VIPs, and maybe he will even get his first car???? If he gets his licence....

That's IT, Blue Sky! I think you're on to something!

Mika has said recently that he wanted to get a car

this year -- no wonder he's doing this gig! :roftl:

dcdeb

That's IT, Blue Sky! I think you're on to something!

dcdeb

It's a true fortune then that I'm not a londoner..mika is bravo, but get a car without licence is dangerous:naughty:

dcdeb

I don't think he meant a Fiat. He can't even fit into one ...:shocked:

Maybe he meant a big white limousine with a driver...:naughty:

I think Mika should get a Skoda, they are the ultimate geek chic car!

David Tennant drives one, and so do I, what more convincing do you need that Skodas are cool :naughty:

Not a Fabia like mine though, he'd never get those legs in it.

I don't think he meant a Fiat. He can't even fit into one ...:shocked:

Maybe he meant a big white limousine with a driver...:naughty:

I think Alfa Romeo is part of the Fiat group..

72s9qnq.jpg

if he wants to committ suicide, do that with style:cool::naughty:

08/01/2008

1mika.jpg

Some people don't like Mika. These people are idiots.

One of the many things I love about Mika, other than his propensity for flagging up random bits of London and nabbing most of his clothes for free, is that he is a total Teflon when it comes to celebrity soul-selling. You could stand him next to Jade Goody in a crocodile pit and he'd still falsetto his way back to insouciant cheer within five minutes.

The next example is his singing at the launch of the Fiat 500, which takes place on January 21 at what its PR optimistically term an "exclusive showbiz and VIP gig at the British Airways London Eye". Hmmm, wonder what level of VIP is dying for a Fiat.

In a previous incarnation, I put the very first Mika vid on YouTube, playing the ultra-fantastic electro-pop miracle that is Relax Take It Easy at Ronnie Scott's. Here it is again now. If you're ever passing there during the day it's always worth having a look to see if there are any greedy-looking people queueing, and tuck yourself in on the end. They will be journalists waiting to be fed see some bands. Ronnie Scott's does A-MAZING snacks.

http://thelondonpaper.typepad.com/thelondonblog/2008/01/mika-sells-anot.html

I have absolutely no idea what the first sentence of the second paragraph is supposed to mean. :blink:

As for the fame... that's indeed a whole different story. For someone who was once hated and bullied by so many people, it must be strange and maybe even terrifying to be so loved suddenly.

The only place were he seems at ease (well, apart from when he's with friend, family ofcourse) is when he's on stage. And also when he's with fans (I think)

I think he just underestimated the impact of fame on his personal life!

I agree with you to a certain point. Fans are fun and nice, sometimes. But expectations from people can be overwhelming. Almost every fan thinks they "know" you. And it's strange to have people come up to you expecting things from you. How would you like it if you were having dinner with someone and a stranger came up to you and asked for pictures, autograph, or never-ending conversation? Is it the worst thing in the world? No and it's part of the job. You have to suck it up and take it. Sometimes it helps to draw a line in the sand. And tell people "up to this point I'll tolerate it, pass it and all bets are off." It doesn't work with the press though because they run to the forbidden side and start digging.