Mika @ Albalad newspaper Lebanon

cubitus

http://www.albaladonline.com/index.php?date=2008-01-05 on the page 21.

It wasn't easy to translate it into english especialy that both my english and arabic sucks :boxed: i hope i didn't make any error though.

MIKA: I WISH TO VISIT LEBANON

How did you enter the music world ?

M: Thanks to a russian teacher who used to be very strict with me and who started giving me lessons when i was 9...She used to scare me in order to force me into training.

Didn't that make you go leave music ?

M: There wasn't any possibility.I used to be very scared and it became a part of my life it wasn't easy to stop music at that time.

How was your beginning ?

M: I had to perform in front of one of the Universal company representants in one of Kingstone's hotels because there wasn't any decent piano to use in london (and he laugh) and then i signed with the company , and that made him uneasy even more than me seing as people used to say ''who is this weirdo on the piano".

You are lebanese , what does that mean to you ?

M: I was born in beirut and im half american too. I was born in 1983 in beirut and then my parents had to leave the country because of the war. And my parents came to france like so many other lebanese family and then when things started being complicated there we came to london.

Do you like living in England ?

M: Yes , it's my home and i prefer it to Paris.

Did the music industry accept you in England ?

M: It's funny how people are all nice with me now , when they weren't like this all the time before. They didn't beleive before i was worth singing because they found me too commercial and i couldn't enter in any music category .

What make you different from others ?

M: My complete ignorance towards what I should do in both the music side and the commercial side. What makes me different is that I don't know what im doing and i just don't care about that. And usualy being ignored is a chance.

How do you feel about comparisons with Freddie Mercury and Scissor Sisters ?

M: I'm afraid of being compared to Freddie Mercury because he was a genius and he stayed on the same level from the beginning till the end and that's scaring ! I can't compare myself to him. As for the comparison with scissor sisters i find it amusing at least im not being compared to Barbara Straysand in her beginnings because i would be angry if i was compared to her , she's a terrifying woman.

Would you leave your sit to an old lady in a bus ?

M: Of course i was raised as a Lebanese Catholic boy.

To whome did you listen when you were a child ?

M: I used to listen to singers who used to compose their own albums and participate in it's production. Because these two things are essential for a cd. For example Prince , you can't sing one of his songs like he does.

It appears that you traveled around the world. Which country would you like to visit ?

M: South america , Mexico and Lebanon.

Is Mika your real name ? does it mean anything ?

M:Yes it's my real name. All my brothers and sisters have exotic names. My sister is called Paloma and my brother Fortuné. My name means plastic bag in moroccan.

Who would you like having a duet with ?

M: Dolly Parton.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you...it's very similar to all the previous interviews:bleh:

and I think it's Dolly Parton:wink2:

:sweatdrop: oh I don't know her :blush-anim-cl: anyway i corrected it :wink2: and yes it is similar to the previous interviews hehehe by the way thank you to Mikalina who first found the article on the net and for Christy22 who tipped us off :naughty:

http://www.albaladonline.com/index.php?date=2008-01-05 on the page 20.

It wasn't easy to translate it into english especialy that both my english and arabic sucks :boxed: i hope i didn't make any error though.

MIKA: I WISH TO VISIT LEBANON

How did you enter the music world ?

M: Thanks to a russian teacher who used to be very strict with me and who started giving me lessons when i was 9...She used to scare me in order to force me into training.

Didn't that make you go leave music ?

M: There wasn't any possibility.I used to be very scared and it became a part of my life it wasn't easy to stop music at that time.

How was your beginning ?

M: I had to perform in front of one of the Universal company representants in one of Kingstone's hotels because there wasn't any decent piano to use in london (and he laugh) and then i signed with the company , and that made him uneasy even more than me seing as people used to say ''who is this weirdo on the piano".

You are lebanese , what does that mean to you ?

M: I was born in beirut and im half american too. I was born in 1983 in beirut and then my parents had to leave the country because of the war. And my parents came to france like so many other lebanese family and then when things started being complicated there we came to london.

Do you like living in England ?

M: Yes , it's my home and i prefer it to Paris.

Did the music industry accept you in England ?

M: It's funny how people are all nice with me now , when they weren't like this all the time before. They didn't beleive before i was worth singing because they found me too commercial and i couldn't enter in any music category .

What make you different from others ?

M: My complete ignorance towards what I should do in both the music side and the commercial side. What makes me different is that I don't know what im doing and i just don't care about that. And usualy being ignored is a chance.

How do you feel about comparisons with Freddie Mercury and Scissor Sisters ?

M: I'm afraid of being compared to Freddie Mercury because he was a genius and he stayed on the same level from the beginning till the end and that's scaring ! I can't compare myself to him. As for the comparison with scissor sisters i find it amusing at least im not being compared to Barbara Straysand in her beginnings because i would be angry if i was compared to her , she's a terrifying woman.

Would you leave your sit to an old lady in a bus ?

M: Of course i was raised as a Lebanese Catholic boy.

To whome did you listen when you were a child ?

M: I used to listen to singers who used to compose their own albums and participate in it's production. Because these two things are essential for a cd. For example Prince , you can't sing one of his songs like he does.

It appears that you traveled around the world. Which country would you like to visit ?

M: South america , Mexico and Lebanon.

Is Mika your real name ? does it mean anything ?

M:Yes it's my real name. All my brothers and sisters have exotic names. My sister is called Paloma and my brother Fortuné. My name means plastic bag in moroccan.

Who would you like having a duet with ?

M: Dolly Parton.

Great stuff. I'm an old lady! Mabe Mika would give me his seat on the bus!

He'd probably have to anyway, because if I got on a bus and recognised Mika sitting there, i'd be about ready to collapse in shock!!!

Love today, from Marilyn

Great stuff. I'm an old lady! Mabe Mika would give me his seat on the bus!

He'd probably have to anyway, because if I got on a bus and recognised Mika sitting there, i'd be about ready to collapse in shock!!!

Love today, from Marilyn

:roftl: :roftl: nah i think he will try to give you first aid :naughty:

Thanks for the translation cubitus.

But was that really a new interview? Or did the newspaper just translate an old english interview?

At least the thing with the lady in the bus sounds familiar to me... :wink2:

yeah for me too but i never knew for instance that he wanted to visit south america :wink2: it might be a mixture of a new interview and an old one...by the way mika made a publicity for NRJ radio lebanon i heard it when i was there during the summer and he said ''hey this is Mika and you're listening to radio NRJ lebanon'' so he might be in contact with journalists there. :wink2:

It is possible that it is a new interview, everybody asks him the same questions usually anyway, and the question about where he would like to go I've not heard before.

Now we know how to make him angry... : :naughty:

"at least im not being compared to Barbara Straysand in her beginnings because i would be angry if i was compared to her , she's a terrifying woman."

:shocked:

I can't make sense of it, though... As far as I know, no one has ever compared him to Barbara Streisand, except for him... yet he gets offended if he is described as 'afeminate'... why comparing himself to female divas then?:blink:

Yeah it could be knew cos I hadn't heard him say he prefers London to Paris before, but yeah they do keep asking the same stuff (that must get soo tiresome, he should just get a tape and play his generic answer, that would shut em up) lol.

Thank you for posting and of course the translation without I would not have understood a word.