Relax - What does it mean?

Zaxiop

I was wondering, I know most of Mika's songs have a story or personal experience behind them, and the other day I was listening to the words in Relax I began to think that it could be about a love affair. Especially when he says...

Scared.

It's as if I'm terrified.

Are you scared?

Are we playing with fire?

I thought that this could be him worrying about what they are doing and what might happen if they get found out, almost as if having the affair is 'playing with fire.'

He goes on to say...

but the last

thing on my mind

Is to leave you.

I believe that we're in this together.

Is this suggesting that he is worried but he wont leave his lover because he believes that 'they're in it together'?

And finally in the chorus...

Relax, take it easy

Blame it on me or blame it on you.

Is he telling his lover not to worry because they'll just blame it on one of them?

Those are just a few of my ideas, but im really not sure what this song means. I couldn't find anything where Mika explains this song so, I thought you guys could help :wink2: Do any of you know anything about Relax and its meaning? I would be so grateful if you could help me with this...

I hope that this hasn't been posted anywhere else, I did look but couldn't find anything :thumb_yello:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Zaxiop,

It is about the London bombings in 2005. There were 3 terrorists bombings on the tubes and one on a bus. I think Mika was on the underground at the time?

Anyhow, maybe it will make a little more sense to you now :wink2:

Took a ride to the end of the line

Where no one ever goes.

Ended up on a broken train

with nobody I know.

But the pain and the

longing's the same

when you're dying.

Now I'm lost and I'm

screaming for help.

Relax, take it easy

For there is nothing that we can do.

Relax, take it easy

It's as if I'm scared.

It's as if I'm scared.

It's as if I'm playing with fire.

Scared.

Are you scared?

Relax

There is an answer to

the darkest times.

It's clear we don't

understand it but the last

thing on my mind

Is to leave you.

Don't scream - there are

so many roads left.

Hope this helps!

• 2 years later...
Check the last post on this thread:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15313&page=3&highlight=meanings

I collected in one post the stories as explained by Mika himself in earlier articles.

It's a good collection on what he has said about his different songs but it doesn't really gives an explanation about the very special lyrics in Relax!:wink2:

I was wondering, I know most of Mika's songs have a story or personal experience behind them, and the other day I was listening to the words in Relax I began to think that it could be about a love affair. Especially when he says...

Scared.

Are you scared?

I thought that this could be him worrying about what they are doing and what might happen if they get found out, almost as if having the affair is 'playing with fire.'

He goes on to say...

but the last

thing on my mind

Is to leave you.

Is this suggesting that he is worried but he wont leave his lover because he believes that 'they're in it together'?

And finally in the chorus...

Relax, take it easy

Is he telling his lover not to worry because they'll just blame it on one of them?

Those are just a few of my ideas, but im really not sure what this song means. I couldn't find anything where Mika explains this song so, I thought you guys could help :wink2: Do any of you know anything about Relax and its meaning? I would be so grateful if you could help me with this...

I hope that this hasn't been posted anywhere else, I did look but couldn't find anything :thumb_yello:

This poster has probably left the fanclub ages ago, It's not a name I recognise but I think he/she has a point!

Relax is one of my favourites of Mika's songs for many reasons, the drums in the beginning, the opening of the older shows, when Luke played the introductory notes and then Mika's voice came on and. oh...gives my the shivers just to think about it!:naughty:

And...the lyrics! I love when lyrics are a little symbolic instead of all clear and obvious. I have always interpreted this pretty much the same way as Zaxiop does it, as a love-song!

How does that interpretation explain the following lines?

"Took a ride to the end of the line

Where no one ever goes."

It's a love affair beyond the ordinary, everything is new an unfamiliar to you!:blush-anim-cl::wink2:

But you'll soon find out that:

"But the pain and the

longing's the same"

There you go!:roftl:

Hi Zaxiop,

It is about the London bombings in 2005. There were 3 terrorists bombings on the tubes and one on a bus. I think Mika was on the underground at the time?

Anyhow, maybe it will make a little more sense to you now :wink2:

Took a ride to the end of the line

Where no one ever goes.

Ended up on a broken train

with nobody I know.

But the pain and the

longing's the same

when you're dying.

Now I'm lost and I'm

screaming for help.

Relax, take it easy

For there is nothing that we can do.

Relax, take it easy

It's as if I'm scared.

It's as if I'm scared.

It's as if I'm playing with fire.

Scared.

Are you scared?

Relax

There is an answer to

the darkest times.

It's clear we don't

understand it but the last

thing on my mind

Is to leave you.

Don't scream - there are

so many roads left.

Hope this helps!

I didn't know that! I didn't know he was on the Underground on 7/7!!! Oh Jeezzzzz!!!

I always thought the song was a metaphore for how a love afair can run away with you, like a runaway train going out of control.

I'm not saying that I can psycho-annalize Mika, but it does seem to me that, while on the one hand, he longs for love and a relationship because he has a great capacity to love someone. On the other hand, he's scared to let go and trust someone enough to let THEM love HIM. He seems to me to have this complex about himself, that says, "I'm unlovable." Or as he is quoted as saying "Why would anyone want to sleep with this?"

I really wish he could realise that he actually IS GOLDEN, and just let someone love him!!

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I didn't know that! I didn't know he was on the Underground on 7/7!!! Oh Jeezzzzz!!!

I always thought the song was a metaphore for how a love afair can run away with you, like a runaway train going out of control.

I'm not saying that I can psycho-annalize Mika, but it does seem to me that, while on the one hand, he longs for love and a relationship because he has a great capacity to love someone. On the other hand, he's scared to let go and trust someone enough to let THEM love HIM. He seems to me to have this complex about himself, that says, "I'm unlovable." Or as he is quoted as saying "Why would anyone want to sleep with this?"

I really wish he could realise that he actually IS GOLDEN, and just let someone love him!!

I always thought that too :blink: when did he say that it was inspired by the bombings?

This is actually quite funny that this topic came up, because today I was in an aerobics lesson and during the warm up Relax was played :teehee:

I always thought that too :blink: when did he say that it was inspired by the bombings?

This is actually quite funny that this topic came up, because today I was in an aerobics lesson and during the warm up Relax was played :teehee:

That's great news about Relax being played. I never heard or saw any interview where he talked about the bombings. Needless to say I am shocked to learn he was right there! Thank God nothing happened to him on that awful day, but I bet he was scared and terrified, as the song says.

I didn't know he was on the Underground on 7/7!!! Oh Jeezzzzz!!!

He wasn't.

You don't need to have been there to be inspired by it.

:dunno: I have known it since the beginning, so he must have said it in early 2007. I will try to find something on this.

Edited by suzie

It's a good collection on what he has said about his different songs but it doesn't really gives an explanation about the very special lyrics in Relax!:wink2: :

:doh: I haven't even checked:teehee:

It's a love affair beyond the ordinary, everything is new an unfamiliar to you!:blush-anim-cl::wink2:

I have always been caught up in the literal meaning and never really searched for other levels. I like your interpretation.

He wasn't.

You don't need to have been there to be inspired by it.

:dunno: I have known it since the beginning, so he must have said it in early 2007. I will try to find something on this.

I've known it all along as well:blink:

I've known it all along as well:blink:

yes, and here is why::wink2:

"The music sounds joyous and escapist, but Mika aims for depth in the lyrics. Relax (Take It Easy) is a love story set in the aftermath of the July 7 terror attacks"

Link to article in The Sunday Herald (Scotland), Feb 3, 2007 :

http://www.heraldscotland.com/bohemian-rhapsody-1.836235

You read it in the article but it is based on an interview with Mika and makes perfect sense.

:doh: I haven't even checked:teehee:

The funny thing with Mika is that he use to say things like "it's all in my music" and I like to think that he means the lyrics as well.

He also said that he want to make his lyrics very symbolic or...I'm not sure if I'm using the right words here, take away the obvious meaning to make them in a way even more distinct.

Oh I know this sounds really confused but he took the example when the Beatles wrote their song Blackbird.

Maybe someone remember that interview?

Some things in life are really hard to try to explain in English!:aah:

I have always been caught up in the literal meaning and never really searched for other levels. I like your interpretation.

Thank you!:thumb_yello:

The thing with relax is since the beginning I think when I heard the lyrics that the more someone will tell me to take something/an event in an easy "way", the more I will be stress and the more I will find out that it is not easy at all, but even very heavy... don't know if it makes sense in english :mf_rosetinted:

I always think it as a love song too.

The really great thing about Mika's songs is, even when it is a love song, it's not the usual love song, there's always something deeper. Like in Rain where he talks of his lover trying to change him, or I See You, where he doesn't pluck up the courage to talk to the object of his desire and ends up just living with the fantasy, or Blue Eyes, which once again has a reference to the London Underground, loosing your heart and spirit there. Now that I think about it, Blue Eyes could almost be a sequel to Relax.

Maybe a future MFC project could be a Mika musical. You know, we come up with a story and insert Mika's songs into it. It's something to think about anyway.

The funny thing with Mika is that he use to say things like "it's all in my music" and I like to think that he means the lyrics as well.

He also said that he want to make his lyrics very symbolic or...I'm not sure if I'm using the right words here, take away the obvious meaning to make them in a way even more distinct.

Oh I know this sounds really confused but he took the example when the Beatles wrote their song Blackbird.

Because of your post earlier, I had the lyrics of Relax running through my mind last night ( :teehee: ) and I came to the same conclusion (this train crash symbolising what the real meaning of this song is ).

I will come back on this later, I have to leave for some family gathering now.

I can't stop listening to Relax now (live@home version) and it's so weird, because I have never thought it anything else but a love song, words like:

Relax, take it easy

for there is nothing that we can do

Relax, take it easy

blame it on me or blame it on you

Scared

It's as if I'm terrified

are you scared

are we playing with fire

They are written as they are about a relationship. So I have never even thought anything else :teehee:

I guess everyone can see a bit different meaning in his songs, even though we have heard his original inspiration.