Concert Conduct

pinkunicorn123

Let's face it, no matter the seating situation, not everyone will go home happy.

I have found the general admission situation to be extremely frustrating. The mad scramble for the front row is insane. I was fortunate enough to be near the front at the beginning of the Seattle show. By the time Mika came on, I was pushed back to the 7th row because so many people shoved their way in front of me. Now, if I were to have been in the 7th row at the start of the evening, I wouldn't have been upset, because that's the way it would have worked out, and I still had a pretty good view. Heck, I even let a girl who was shorter than I was stand in front of me so that she could see better. What upset me were the attitudes of people who thought it was OK to bully their way to the front. I couldn't believe how blatantly rude and disrespectful that was.

I found the assigned seating in Vancouver to be a much better situation, but that has it's drawbacks as well. The competition for the front row does not begin with the queue outside the venue, instead it begins online at the Ticketmaster checkout. I'm sure there were people upset at the fact that their internet connection isn't fast enough, or that it took them a long time to enter their credit card information. Not to mention, scalpers try to buy up the choice seats, then re-sell them for ridiculous prices.

Like Blue Sky said, everyone wants front row. Every fan wants the dream concert experience. When we don't get that experience, it can be disappointing, and for some, infuriating. Unfortunately, there are only so many good spots, and someone is left singing the "back row blues". What we need to remember, is that the evening is about ENTERTAINMENT. It is supposed to be FUN! Even if you end up in the back of the night club, or in the nose-bleed section of the theatre, don't forget why you are really there. The dude on stage is putting on one hell of a show for you, not just the front row. :punk:

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by JackViolet

1) If the main problem with queuing is inability to stand for long periods of time, why not bring fold-out chairs to sit in? I've seen people do that before, it seems to work fairly well.

--Jack

Yes. This works tremendously well. I brought $5 camping chairs from Wal-Mart that I could afford to discard and not take into the venue if I needed to resort to that. In London, Christine and I bought foam floor mats (used for exercising) to keep us comfortably seated on the ground.

Yes, tnis is definately what I plan to do next time. If there is one.

However, what I'd really like is to take my chair into the venue too. :wink2:

From my experiences...

1. If you're going to GA (at any concert), there will be somewhat pushing and shoving at times. And if you get pushed back, don't bitch at the people around you, it happens. Yes, it's important for everyone to have a good time but it's also important to know the audience/crowd you're going to be interacting with at different shows. Some shows the mosh pits and crowd surfing is half the fun and other shows it won't be appropriate, you have to adjust. Girls, if you crowdsurf please don't try doing it in a skirt or heels, that's not common sense and you're not impressing anyone. Also, if there is moshing, be safe. Help people up if they fall down.

2. Girls (or boys) with long hair, please tie it up. It's disgusting when ratty, sweaty hair keeps getting flipped in your face and sticks to your arms.

3. No throwing things onstage at the performers... ahem, don't bottle. It's not fun when the set is cut short because the lead singer was knocked out and had to get dragged offstage.

4. No molesting people. Yes, it's dark and intensely crowded and someone may never know who it was who grabbed their ass, but seriously that's just plain sad.

5. Please for everyone's sake don't light up/smoke weed. It already reeks enough and the smokey air doesn't really make things better.

6. Wear deodorant, it makes a difference.7. Keep your clothes on. Please.

:thumb_yello:

All good advice, but no 6! On Monday we were next to some guy and it was nauseating. I mean we alll sweat, but fresh sweat isn't so bad.........

I would like to add:

Please think twice about the way you dress up.

I know Mika shows are fun because you can dress up as mad but really, don't exagerate.

No need to have 2 meters-wide wings, or to dress up as the eiffel tower, it's a real pain for the people around and behind you.:wink2:

Let's face it, no matter the seating situation, not everyone will go home happy.

I have found the general admission situation to be extremely frustrating. The mad scramble for the front row is insane. I was fortunate enough to be near the front at the beginning of the Seattle show. By the time Mika came on, I was pushed back to the 7th row because so many people shoved their way in front of me. Now, if I were to have been in the 7th row at the start of the evening, I wouldn't have been upset, because that's the way it would have worked out, and I still had a pretty good view. Heck, I even let a girl who was shorter than I was stand in front of me so that she could see better. What upset me were the attitudes of people who thought it was OK to bully their way to the front. I couldn't believe how blatantly rude and disrespectful that was.

I found the assigned seating in Vancouver to be a much better situation, but that has it's drawbacks as well. The competition for the front row does not begin with the queue outside the venue, instead it begins online at the Ticketmaster checkout. I'm sure there were people upset at the fact that their internet connection isn't fast enough, or that it took them a long time to enter their credit card information. Not to mention, scalpers try to buy up the choice seats, then re-sell them for ridiculous prices.

Like Blue Sky said, everyone wants front row. Every fan wants the dream concert experience. When we don't get that experience, it can be disappointing, and for some, infuriating. Unfortunately, there are only so many good spots, and someone is left singing the "back row blues". What we need to remember, is that the evening is about ENTERTAINMENT. It is supposed to be FUN! Even if you end up in the back of the night club, or in the nose-bleed section of the theatre, don't forget why you are really there. The dude on stage is putting on one hell of a show for you, not just the front row. :punk:

yeah , once we got inside the show in Seattle it was a MAD HOUSE AND I ALMOST GOT HURT!

Wise words. A little self reflection doesn't do any of us any harm. Of course you still have to be honest with yourself.

good manners do make a difference! although at the Seattle show part of my patience ran thin because my rheumatoid arthritis , dehydration , and asthma were acting all at the same time! I still had fun tho! I just kept my eye on MIKA and all was well!

Let me just say that reading this, it's like this happened on another planet, not in just another country.

In LA, there were about 10 or so of us who started the queue after brunch at around 12:30 (well, Summer, Tori and Sivan were there at around 11am). Other people started showing up around 2 or 3, with no real line forming until something like 4:30. Of our group of 10, two or three held our places at all times while the others chatted with security, got food, stalked Midway State, etc.

When the doors opened, venue security made it damn clear that anyone running would be sent back out, so there was much power-walking to the front. There was tons of room for dancing, no shoving whatsoever.

And then I read this, and I'm just like: :shocked:

I can't believe how naive I was to not realize just how bad shows in other places are. I feel just awful that so many had a bad time, and that there's so much animosity coming out of this - MFCers turning against each other! I wish I had some concrete advice or ideas on how to improve this, but having had a totally different experience, I can't say I do. The numbers idea is great, and it's commendable that people are at least trying to initiate something, and it's really unfortunate that it doesn't seem to be working.

In an ideal world, there would be more organization. A booth or something where people could go upon arrival and get a number from someone who's job it is to do that, rather than from other fans who are busy doing other things. Also nice would be security staff making sure people don't stampede into the venue at top speed.

I also think I like the idea of seated venues with MFC getting first dibs on front rows, but that opens a whole host of other issues - not the least of which would be everyone and his dog joining the MFC with no intent of being an interactive member of the community, just wanting ticket perks.

Sigh. Quote fest:

can you explain this #'s thing??? we never had that problem! the line in Seattle was ideal! and Vancouver was beautiful! how come there are so many problems in the UK and few problems in North America? just wondering!

Don't forget Vancouver was assigned seating...a totally different ball game.

Yeah, the queue in LA was fine...although when they decided to take tickets early, some of our group was out and about and the venue staff almost made them go to the back of the line. But after hanging there for over seven hours, we couldn't let that happen.

Note that it was venue staff trying to toss the girls out of the line. It sounds like in London, it's been a free-for-all. LA, in comparison, was a freakin' Teddy Bear's picnic.

What we need to remember, is that the evening is about ENTERTAINMENT. It is supposed to be FUN! Even if you end up in the back of the night club, or in the nose-bleed section of the theatre, don't forget why you are really there. The dude on stage is putting on one hell of a show for you, not just the front row. :punk:

So true, DaMango! Although, a lot of us have had a taste (or are just dying for a taste!) of front-row Mika, and it's hard to trade that for some third story balcony. But in the end, you're totally right. :punk:

...It's not fun when the set is cut short because the lead singer was knocked out and had to get dragged offstage...someone may never know who it was who grabbed their ass, but seriously that's just plain sad...don't light up/smoke weed. It already reeks enough and the smokey air doesn't really make things better...Keep your clothes on.

Whoa! Sounds like you've been to some crazy shows that certainly put Mika-related chaos to shame! :roftl:

if you know that you are going a sold out show or nearly sold out show, you'd beware of the drunkenness and bouncers. only the fence at the front row can offer you a full support but you can never have a good view at the right front. the worst thing happened to me once among those bouncers was that i lost one of me contact lens during the gig. in my opinion, if you want to avoid those nearly violent pushes and still close to the stage, you can only stay at the two corners next to the speaker maybe, but you will be missing half of the stage at the same time. i was next to one of those columns with square trunks at brixton, little bit far from the stage. but venues like brixton or hammy-o, they were built for concerts, the ground is an upward slope from the stage, you can actually see things clearly and see them as a whole if you are not that front. but you definitely won't see those features on Mika. i dunno, that's my idea about big concerts i've attended so far and i don't like seatings at the balcony. and i was probably among one of those people from office blocks with suit, handbag and stuff. i talked to two, we all think it was a great set, all songs joined very well, also i tried to recall a setlist, but only few might be interested. all those enjoyments as a fan or an individual , there's no way to have them all.

Rose, soooo don't want to drag this up again but...

I 100% understand were you are coming from but I was talkin from my point of view about the shoes, not Daisy's so i guess those comments should be directed towards me.

There are stupid things I do (shoes being one of them) that make me feel normal. There are days that I feel so out of place, I'm a 23 year old that wearing hearing aids, needs a walking stick and is almost totally blind in one eye. Add to that the fact that I'm only just over 5ft and am a size 18 I don't often feel good about myself. Sometimes that over rides the need to be careful about my condition, it's not clever but that's just how I feel. I can pretend to be normal.

But let's move on....

Did you manage to give Mika my message?

(About time someone stook up fro Caz)

*stands up and tries to walk to the stage and grabs the microfoon*

I would like to thank the lovely frence people at the front of the Queue that where trying to SQUEEZE in front of me even if there was no room. I just love the bruises and the fact that my shoulder was almost going through the wall I was leaning against. :mf_rosetinted: I really liked being screamed at because I had to make room for 2 more people even if I wasn't able to move a millimetre. And of course when they finally did squeeze in front of me I got some more very nice bruises and also thank you for twisting my wrist in ways I didn't even knew I could. It still hurts just like my shoulder. :mf_rosetinted: I bet I will have a very fun day tomorrow then I have to put pineapple slicers together :mf_rosetinted: I bet I will break the new slow record.

can't wait to meet you again :chair:

*steps down*

Yikes!

*Gives a hug*

Let's put it this way:

Dusseldorf:

ticket: 30 euro

fuel: 10 euro

accomodation: 25 euro

TOTAL: 65 euro

If the price of the ticket had been like it is for the best seated places in some arenas (over 80 euro if not more) that would have been almost twice the initial budget. So yes, it would have mattered.

Not everybody has the chance to live in the UK, nor to have Mika performing in their home country. And sometimes an increase in the price ticket can make a whole difference.

Okay, well that is considerabley cheap.

In the uk main cities it goes like this:

Tickets: 30 Euros

Accomodation: 100-150 Euros

Ok.........emotions are bound to run high and for very good reason. I agree with many of the points that have been posted. Over the last year I have had many different experiences. It is my opinion (and always has been) that the people who get there first should be the people that end up on the front row. I know it is infuriating if that means that because of work or travel or any other reason one is unable (or unwilling ) to ge there early but really it is only fair. On Monday I wasn't prepared to get there any earlier than early afternoon (about 1 30 I think) but I knew very well that that meant I wouldn't be front row central. That was the bargain I struck with myself though....including the hours of the gig and the waiting afterwards..ten hours standing was enough. However, I did assume that with about 50 people in front of me (i think my numer was actually 50) I would probably be on either the very extremities of the front row or the second row central. However, the sysytem just goes to pot. There is no control over the numbers..no way of guarenteeing that the people with the numbers are actually the ones that end up at the front. In the line at the door that I was at the girl in front of me's ticket wouldn't scan. In the three minutes of this being sorted out my five hours standing went straight down the drain. I also personally think that the numbers system should only be in place to enable people to go to the toilet or take a very quick food break....or..to move down the line to talk to others. In my opinion it is not there to enable people to come and get a number and then go off and do other things...makes a total mockery of it.

Again, in my opinion, entry for disabled guests should be to enable them to take their positions safely before everyone else is let in. Indeed until Monday I assumed, naively that that was what it was there for. As has been said, many people unfortunately have conditions (often hidden) that mean they are not able to do what they would wish.

Someone has said about honesty and I think that is a very good point. I personally could not go to bed with my concience knowing that I had behaved in an inapropiate or unfair manner.

slightly off topic,but I just got a text saying that there have been MFC'ers queuing from 1a.m for todays gig! :shocked: and then others arriving at 4-5 a.m ,by 8 am there were already about 35 people there :shocked:

Like I posted in the other thread - forget about taking chairs - looks like we might have to resort to bringing tents and sleeping bags. :blink:

Like I posted in the other thread - forget about taking chairs - looks like we might have to resort to bringing tents and sleeping bags. :blink:

It's quite shocking actually to hear about people literally sleeping in the queue

But I think the talk in the last past days has scared many...so that's what they resort to. I really really hope that the ones arriving there so early get front row

I agree with everything here, especially the last part.

I don't really get what is so important/fantastic about front row anyway. Unless some think they are not real fans unless they are there, which I have to say is utter nonesense :sneaky2:.

As someone else said (I'm sorry, I can't find the post), many venues have sloping floors and it's possible to get a great view from further back. Moreover, further back can be better, more atmospheric, as you can view the whole stage and therefore the whole spectacle from an angle it is designed to be seen from. There is also the atmosphere that comes from being 'in the crowd' - you can see people all around you enjoying themselves, and really feel the vibe of the gig. You have more space to dance/jump. You can even go to the loo if need be (important if you are an Oldling :roftl: )

I suppose I can understand why some may really need that experience of being very close to Mika, of being able to see every detail of his face, get inadvertently spat on (:roftl: ), get to touch hands with him. I just question whether it's necessary to have that every time.

I would just say, try it further back..not saying you have to stand RIGHT at the back (although I hear Back is the new Front :mf_rosetinted:). Eight, even ten, rows back one can enjoy the concert, and only queue for a reasonable amount of time rather than having to camp out. It honestly is more civilised!

It's quite shocking actually to hear about people literally sleeping in the queue

But I think the talk in the last past days has scared many...so that's what they resort to. I really really hope that the ones arriving there so early get front row

I've heard that too. It's INSANE! This is gone too far, too much.:shocked: So any upcoming gig will there be the front-row panick that makes people queue from the midnight before? Come on!:blink:

This is not something brand new..... it is just new to us.

People have been camping out at general admission concert OR camping out AT TICKETMASTER OUTLETS for seated venues since the first concert was ever performed. It is an age old tradition - *at least that is how it is here in the United States...I guess I cannot speak for the rest of the world, now can I* :naughty:

Every artist that has dedicated fans...has this. Mika is getting more and more recognized and popular every week...gaining more and more fans. Of course the maddness is going to start, and TRUST me - we have not seen the worst of it....sadly only the beginning!

I have to agree with Gata about not having to be front row EVERYTIME! I had it once, and I could deal with never having it again....and being perfectly happy and satisfied! I do not think I would 'camp out' at ticketmaster....but I would be there at the crack of dawn. Still wouldn't get FRONT ROW but at least a 'good spot' Everyone has to do what is best for them...what they feel is right........

like I said- I got to experience front row.... now it is someone else's turn to experience the MAGIC! I am not selfish...and I would NEVER push or shove people THAT IS JUST WRONG! Beleive me, I PAID MY DUES and earned my spot at the front! 14 hours of SUFFERING for a mere hour of bliss..... but worth every pain staking moment!

I've heard that too. It's INSANE! This is gone too far, too much.:shocked: So any upcoming gig will there be the front-row panick that makes people queue from the midnight before? Come on!:blink:

In the UK,it's very possible

Or in places where he's huge,France for example

I'm tellin ya Mirti,Munich is the place to be :naughty:

I also personally think that the numbers system should only be in place to enable people to go to the toilet or take a very quick food break....or..to move down the line to talk to others. In my opinion it is not there to enable people to come and get a number and then go off and do other things...makes a total mockery of it.

Yes I think so too:thumb_yello:

It should be more organised.

I was n°65 and during the first 3 hours I waited I didn't see 60 ppl waiting. :mf_rosetinted:

When I arrived I didn't know about the number I went to buy water before queuing. Then mariposa wasn't there to give me my number so ppl arrived and had theirs before me. I'm really complaining since I managed to have a good spot after the pushing.

This is not something brand new..... it is just new to us.

People have been camping out at general admission concert OR camping out AT TICKETMASTER OUTLETS for seated venues since the first concert was ever performed. It is an age old tradition - *at least that is how it is here in the United States...I guess I cannot speak for the rest of the world, now can I* :naughty:

In France we do that too. Some bands are well-known for that : when you go to their gig you know that if you don't get there early you'll be at the back. But usually you also know that you're going to fight a little to keep your spot and it's part of the gig, actually for one, it adds some sort of fun for me, when it's not abusive. Maybe sometimes you're squished but everybody's jumping and having fun at the end (well not everytime, there are always exceptions)

I think the thing we could do is ask for more barrier along the street so everyone stays at the place where they arrived. They can go buy water of course ppl are not mean they let you back to where you were because they've seen you wait as long as them.

I was at near the ppl trying to rearrange the queue with the number and I have to say it did not make it all fair. When the ppl who should have been front were moved forward they didn't care about the ones who should have been moved back. The ppl with the numbers around 30 were supposed to make the ppl with no number move back so that the ppl with the numbers around 50-60 could move forward but they didn't.

Everyone is selfish.

Also, about the disabled ppl and all, many things have been said so I'll try not to repeat the same. I agree there should be some places for disabled ppl but being disabled, as hard as it can be, doesn't mean you get a front and center spot. (JackViolet I think)

Life is unfair, ppl get illness, ppl are richer than others and can fly from abroad, ppl have to work and can't queue early, ppl are taller than others, get front and center but what can we do about it?

I think it's normal that ppl break the rules (this reminds me of my sociology class:mf_rosetinted:) and that there's pushing.

Btw, some ppl went to 10 gigs, I'm glad for them they can do that but when it's always the same who are in front, even if they deserve it, I understand why ppl want to push sometimes. I'm not saying they're right to do it though.

I'm completely against seating venue because the show is better when you're standing and it's true the price can be an issue even if you're flying, all the more when it's a rescheduled show...

(we're not discussing money here, but I took the plain but it does not mean I'm richer or anything, it's just a matter of priorities sometimes)

It's very possible anywhere were there are MFCers. Cause let's be realistic, it's some of us that decide to queue earlier and earlier and earlier and then come complaining that's madness :bleh:

It's very possible anywhere were there are MFCers. Cause let's be realistic, it's some of us that decide to queue earlier and earlier and earlier and then come complaining that's madness :bleh:

it's true,but if there are just 10 MFC'ers ,things are more likely to be calmer

As opposed to the +50 that are at UK gigs now,plus having very fresh bad experiences from the days before...

I know. Well, not all the UK, just London. In Glasgow I remember we reached the Academy at about 4ishpm and there were only 5 people.. and in Doncaster, at 3pm there were 15-20 MFCers.

Ow, Munich....:wub2: (though I was the 4th in the queue and second row: but the girls in front of me were shorter than me and had a great view anyway!:biggrin2: )

Exactly. Hence the panick. Which is totally useless IMO. Come on, queuing since the night before, it's a joke!!

I know. Well, not all the UK, just London. In Glasgow I remember we reached the Academy at about 4ishpm and there were only 5 people.. and in Doncaster, at 3pm there were 15-20 MFCers.

Ow, Munich....:wub2: (though I was the 4th in the queue and second row: but the girls in front of me were shorter than me and had a great view anyway!:biggrin2: )

true ,but London is fierce! :lol3:

Oh Munich...so great,wasn't it? Tho I still have to say that some people there were just uneducated peasants to say the least! (mfc-ers excluded from that statement,you were all amazing)

Okay, some valid points.

Sometimes there are huge issues with tickets because they get bent, scratched or as i saw on Tuesday; folded several times. But it can also be accidental and there is nothing we can do about it aside from asking people to take genuine care in the condition of their tickets, the scanning bars/codes in particular.

As for the queuing issue, why not compose a letter the the venues asking them to be more conscientious in their crowd control.

They are used to big crowds, probably on a nightly basis and the chances are slim to none that they would consider special treatment for certain gigs.

But playing the 'official' card might give some direction to it. We could ask that they limit the ammount of people coming in through the doors to give time to those having issues, maybe even ask them to check the numbering to an extent also?

Oh and kath - its great to have you back, i will go an hunt down your report in a minute :)

I would never complain that queueing early is mad! I am all for that - it is the pushing, shoving, jumping line that SUCKS... not standing in the bitter cold for 14 hours straight :no: ...not at all :lmao:

true ,but London is fierce! :lol3:

Oh Munich...so great,wasn't it? Tho I still have to say that some people there were just uneducated peasants to say the least! (mfc-ers excluded from that statement,you were all amazing)

Hehe, I remember that...and the scratches on your arm:shocked:

Though the gig was just....:wub2: fantastic.