Patrick Wolf is disturbed

Ocean Wave

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I honestly find some of his music quite disturbing as well..

He is known as avant guarde. Which I guess means coming from an unusual place. I only like magic positition and I bet most of his fans hate it for being too commercial.

Haha yes me too!! The thing is he says in an interview that he made this song because he wanted a song that he knew everyone woulde like (ie a commercial song) yet he continuously criticises people for making commercial music. It's a bit confnusing.

maybe (certainly) he wrote his songs as a therapy to handle things he endured during his childhood or after ? a lot of singers do that, and they're really personal songs... sometimes, people don't even know what the singer is talking about before someone reveals it...

in PW's case, he says "I" and his lyrics are quite explicit, so it leaves no place for doubt (even if he could not be talking about himself still using "I") but he has the right to write it, and most good songs are dark in general...

the world evolves going forward, not backward, and "disturbing" things, as you call the lyrics, help a bit... no, everything is not sugar and pink in the world... even if we also need those sort of things, they're not the ones who make people realize how ugly life is or evolve... they're the one you listen to (talking about songs) if you want to escape from reality a bit... or longer than a bit...

maybe (certainly) he wrote his songs as a therapy to handle things he endured during his childhood or after ? a lot of singers do that, and they're really personal songs... sometimes, people don't even know what the singer is talking about before someone reveals it...

in PW's case, he says "I" and his lyrics are quite explicit, so it leaves no place for doubt (even if he could not be talking about himself still using "I") but he has the right to write it, and most good songs are dark in general...

the world evolves going forward, not backward, and "disturbing" things, as you call the lyrics, help a bit... no, everything is not sugar and pink in the world...

Exactly. I remember an old interview about this song.

Anyways; I vote for him NOT making a new Magic Position. Wind in the Wires is his best album :wub2:

Exactly. I remember an old interview about this song.

Anyways; I vote for him NOT making a new Magic Position. Wind in the Wires is his best album :wub2:

i have to listen to another album of him cause i only know magic position and i quite like it... i'm sure it's not as jolly as it seems to be according to some words i caught into the songs... but i would love to find his other albums *going to "find" them* :naughty: :naughty:

i have to listen to another album of him cause i only know magic position and i quite like it... i'm sure it's not as jolly as it seems to be according to some words i caught into the songs... but i would love to find his other albums *going to "find" them* :naughty: :naughty:

:shocked: Shame on you!

beautiful pics ! he's such a cutie like a little kitty...

Yeah, like a little kitten ...:bored::yikes:

Gorgeous photos, Greta, thank you!

I still don't understand what's so "weird" about Childcatcher. The song may be disturbing but that's the point--I don't see how that makes PW "disturbed." It's not like he's singing how great it is when children are molested. Is it just considered "disturbing" to sing about anything that makes people uncomfortable? Or that one must "like" something to sing about it? That's rather silly, isn't it.

--Jack

Gorgeous photos, Greta, thank you!

I still don't understand what's so "weird" about Childcatcher. The song may be disturbing but that's the point--I don't see how that makes PW "disturbed." It's not like he's singing how great it is when children are molested. Is it just considered "disturbing" to sing about anything that makes people uncomfortable? Or that one must "like" something to sing about it? That's rather silly, isn't it.

--Jack

true true...

Obviously Patsy is not the kind of people who writes about shiny happy stuff. He has deep lyrics (and music, I just love what he does) and despite Chilcatcher can make you feel uneasy (I admit, this song does make me feel uneasy because I care a lot about children and child molesting is horrible to me) it totally has its legitimacy. It talks about something that unfortunately does exist, whether PW unfortunately experienced it or not. It can be shocking because it's very straightforward, but when I listen to Patrick Wolf I sometimes just squeeze this song when I feel I can't take it.

Many singers have written dark straightforward disturbing songs. Does that mean they autotically are completely crazy or nuts? No.

A friend got me into Patrick Wolf so I downloaded a load of his songs and most of them are quite good. (not as good as Mika obviously!)

So here I am doing my coursework listening to my music on shuffle when I hear...

I was still a child when you caught me and tied me to your bed

you gave me shoes and pretty clothes, and i gave you what i had between my legs

Just a rite of passage, you held me down and said

"I'm gonna be your right of passage, so boy you better spread, spread em"

Patrick Wolf - The Child Catcher

I dont know what you guys think but to me this seems a bit wrong and generally disturbed. This isnt the sort of thing you sing about!!

What are your fealings?

I really love PW, even more than I like Mika actually.:wink2: The childcatcher is definitely one of my favorite songs. I don’t think it is strange to writ that kind of lyrics, it’s just very brave. :blush-anim-cl::thumb_yello:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everything that Jack, Yop and Em have said. Talking about difficult, complex and frightening topics doesn't make a person disturbed. He isn't promoting anything, he's illustrating a scenario from different perspectives without judgement.

To be honest, this song scares me. Seriously. The first time I actually listened to it was a couple of days ago (I know, blasphemous) when I was listening to my MP3 player while walking home alone after dark and it really creeped me out.

He hands down did a brilliant job. That's how it's supposed to be, anything less would be unrealistic. He has a great grasp on evoking particular emotions through his music and lyrics.

I am not keen on PW's "image" at all, but I like a few of his songs, this Child-catcher one though, I really feel strongly about those lyrics, I DO find them disturbing, but they are meant to be, what he is trying to say is NOT all pretty flowers and bunnies in a meadow, those lyrics are brilliant, yet they make me feel so angry, so that is why they are brilliant.

I write poetry (well try to) and in a some of my poems I say things that aren't "nice" I guess it could be classed as sorta darkish, I don't think I have posted many of my darker ones on MFC but there are a few). so sometimes you just have to tell it like it is, and those lyrics certainly do, sometimes I LIKE to be MADE to sit up and take notice like that from a song, sometimes I like to work it out for myself.

• 4 weeks later...