Spiritualism and mythology in MIKA's Concert and Music.

elanorelle

When I watched MIKA's concert i noticed major references to religious/spirituality that is quite deep and I going to do some research into his symbolism as there is SO MUCH. Tell me what you think and what is going on here. I think there is something subtle going on and I sense it . Do you? Its been bugging me ever since I went to the concert!

Things I am wondering about:

1. The Angel coming from the Earth (the Creation Story-The Primordial Egg Story) I think she is Gaia40_Mother_earth_angel.jpg

_also could be alluding to Hindu mythology (The cosmic egg):

in Hindu tantra, based on the Hindu philosophy of Kashmir Shaivism, the Shri Yantra represents the expansion of the universe from the cosmic egg after its creation by Shiva through the power of Shakti. The cosmic egg is represented by a dot in the center of the Shri Yantra mandala called the bindu./QUOTE]ct~garbha.jpg

2. The Day of the Dead /Gray Skelly (please note she was wearing Mardi Gras Beads if you look really close at Gray Skelly in the Concert!skeleto1.jpg

3. "Snow" which MIKA sees above him before he sees Gray Skelly:This is a quote from a website talking about Ray Gonzalez, a poet who is writing of the Day of the Dead Dance (where a man dances with a female skeleton). See what you think:

In a series called The History of Desire , based upon photographs and paintings in an exhibit, the "Baile con la Talaca" (Dance with the Skeleton) has the sound of gracefully executed music as befits a dance. The classic Mexican figure of death shows a female skeleton dancing with a "vato," "the king of the streets," who takes her to bed and the next morning sees only dust, "brown and white grains of soil/floating,/still excited in the air." Everyone dances with death ultimately, but the vato courts death by the way he lives"

4. The tree of life and the Serpent:

I think there was no coincidence that in the back drop of the concert , there was the tree with the serpent (its from the Kaballah)serpkab.jpgand serpent.jpg

5. The Dove of Peace Dove-of-Peace-Print-C10287704.jpeg

6. The Umbrella

just a few symbols which have been making me really really think!

Its no coincidence that MIKA is sending us a message

LIke to hear what you have to think about this!

All i know is that he is not doing this randomly and if MIKA can make me get back to church and prayer..then something is going on!

Suzanne

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hun!!!!!!!!

How are you??

I'm fascinated to find out what else you come up with !!!

:thumb_yello:

xxoo

its really really really exciting that I am noticing sooo many things!

wow!

found another cool picture of an altar from Mexico for Day of the Dead!

p174225-San_Miguel_de_Allende_Mexico-Day_of_the_Dead_Altar.jpg

thanks kelz! I loves ya!

i have never studied comparitive religion formally..rather self taught!

will find more stuff I am sure as I go along....as my next topic in another thread will be religion and mythology in his lyrics!

smiles , hon! :wub2: :wub2:

I was thinking alot about spirituality links when I first got the DVD and looked at the booklet..

The Day of the Dead is celebrated all around the world..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Quite possible little Mica experienced such celebrations as a child

*hugs*

I think so too.

might check that out on Nov 2 and 3rd at one of the churches.

I might start going to church again...more for spiritual needs rather than religious needs...

huh, wow there are some similarities. I hadn't really though about them before, but now that you bring it up you've opened my eyes. i'll be o the lookout for more. If those are meant to be there, then i think its nice how he's incorporated so many cultures into his designs.:wink2:

I think he just likes going around picking up various cultures' traditions, like the Day of the Dead thing, much like how he likes "stealing" a bit (or is it "referencing"?) from everybody and anybody in his music and in his stage show. :naughty::angel_not:

Since he comes from a Catholic family, 'course he's familiar with angels and the creation story and what-else not. Being multicultural I'm sure he is also familiar with other traditions.

However, I do not think he's elaborately trying to send us some sort of cosmic message. Dead musicians, especially ones with a penchant for reincarnation and delusions of grandeur, are far better for that. :roftl:

--Jack

isn't "day of the dead" called "all Saints day" in the UK? :blink:

as for the serpent tree picture, the colour one, that just looked like the adam and eve story :blink:

I too made a thread about the symbolism in a picture from Mika's MySpace. I don't think he's doing it to "send a message" as such, I think it's just coincidental and probably also subconscious.

There is a lot of symbolism in Mika's concerts. I think you're right with the angel and the creation story.

As for, "Gray Skelly", she might be wearing beads similar to those of Mardi Gras, but in reality that is the traditional attire in Mexico's Day of the Dead. I think that rather than seeing symbolism for the umbrella we should comprehend the actions.

The way I see it, at first he is standing there alone and cold, snow is falling, and he seems somewhat afraid. Afraid of possibly death or just possibilities. Then comes death, he faces his fears and shields (covers with hands) him from the snow pouring down on him, he embraces it, and says goodbye or maybe a see you later. I might be looking too into it, but I think the overall message is death, and our fears, maybe even saying goodbye to those we've lost (what we go through when we do).

As for the serpent, peace dove, and tree, I think you're right on the mark. Just like to add, that the dove is coming out of a cage.

as for the serpent tree picture, the colour one, that just looked like the adam and eve story :blink:

I too made a thread about the symbolism in a picture from Mika's MySpace. I don't think he's doing it to "send a message" as such, I think it's just coincidental and probably also subconscious.

Actually, I don't think you celebrate Day of the Dead at all in the UK. In Latin America, and in the United States, All Saints Day is on Nov. 1rst and Day of the Dead the day after Nov.2nd

There is a lot of symbolism in Mika's concerts. I think you're right with the angel and the creation story.

As for, "Gray Skelly", she might be wearing beads similar to those of Mardi Gras, but in reality that is the traditional attire in Mexico's Day of the Dead. I think that rather than seeing symbolism for the umbrella we should comprehend the actions.

The way I see it, at first he is standing there alone and cold, snow is falling, and he seems somewhat afraid. Afraid of possibly death or just possibilities. Then comes death, he faces his fears and shields (covers with hands) him from the snow pouring down on him, he embraces it, and says goodbye or maybe a see you later. I might be looking too into it, but I think the overall message is death, and our fears, maybe even saying goodbye to those we've lost (what we go through when we do).

As for the serpent, peace dove, and tree, I think you're right on the mark. Just like to add, that the dove is coming out of a cage.

I really LOVE your take on it!!!!!!!!

Nope. 'All Saints Day' is mostly celebrated in the Catholic/Anglican church on November 1st, to honor all the saints in Heaven.

'All Soul's Day' is celebrated on November 2nd, and it's to pray for all the souls of the faithfully departed.

'Day of the Dead' is basically the same thing as 'All Soul's Day'

Holy Johnny is obvious but it did make me think about religious themes and then i thought of another song too ...sorry my head is in the clouds just now with the backstage party news but i'll give it more thought and come back to it..... i love this though! i like your thoughts ...:wink2:

I was just wondering about some of these things today!! I knew Mika said he grew up a good catholic boy, but I wondered if he was still religious or spiritual.

And I noticed a while back that in "Live in Cartoon Motion" during the "Long Way From Home segment, in Chapter 4, at 38:12 there is a picture of Jesus from the movie "Jesus of Nazareth". And it scares me every single time I see it!

I was just wondering about some of these things today!! I knew Mika said he grew up a good catholic boy, but I wondered if he was still religious or spiritual.

And I noticed a while back that in "Live in Cartoon Motion" during the "Long Way From Home segment, in Chapter 4, at 38:12 there is a picture of Jesus from the movie "Jesus of Nazareth". And it scares me every single time I see it!

oh ! you saw that too!??? did you see also there was an interview on that too with a hindu goddess in the back ground????

have you guys really read the lyrics to How Much Do you love Me? do you notice something very spiritual there? I do!

*stares suspiciously*

*runs to DVD player to look*

oh ! you saw that too!??? did you see also there was an interview on that too with a hindu goddess in the back ground????

have you guys really read the lyrics to How Much Do you love Me? do you notice something very spiritual there? I do!

So I'm not the only one who's seen Jesus in the Mika dvd!? Yes! I thought i was going crazy for a while. :roftl:

Hah. I was just reading an article about 'All Soul's Day', and it said "Day of the Dead: somethingsomething Lebanon"

:naughty:

anyway. I'm sure you've also noticed that he crossed himself on the DVD, and he wears rosaries.

Of course, why would he wear them... they're not exactly jewelry.