== please stop using threads as chat rooms! ==

Minako

(I put this in the suggestion forum, but thought I'd put it here as well in hopes that we will actually "chat about MIKA" in pointed threads.)

== please stop using threads as chat rooms! ==

the PMs work fabulously ! For example, one can hardly tell what this is thread is about, even by reading the entire page

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13494&page=4

For lollipops sake, people- FOCUS!! I beg of you!! Especially as we become "official," we'll soon be representing MIKA and I hope we don't disappoint or embarrass him. There'll be even more newbies and lurkers and I believe one way of keeping the latter interested is to cut out the random, incessant, exclusive chattering in themed topics.

I'm not saying everyone should strictly keep on topic, spontaneous chatting can't be helped (this is a very friendly board and a lot of special memories have been shared, created and born here), but when it goes on for pages in a thread meant for something else, it gets bothersome.

I made the suggestion for the concert threads to have the page number edited into the first post when the actual reporting began - and it seems some people really liked the idea , so I know the chattering doesn't bother only me. There's a place for everything on this forum, if we could just take a second to find it's home.

*M*

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For lollipops sake, people- FOCUS!! I beg of you!! Especially as we become "official," we'll soon be representing MIKA and I hope we don't disappoint or embarrass him. There'll be even more newbies and lurkers and I believe one way of keeping the latter interested is to cut out the random, incessant, exclusive chattering in themed topics.

I'm not saying everyone should strictly keep on topic, spontaneous chatting can't be helped (this is a very friendly board and a lot of special memories have been shared, created and born here), but when it goes on for pages in a thread meant for something else, it gets bothersome.

I made the suggestion for the concert threads to have the page number edited into the first post when the actual reporting began - and it seems some people really liked the idea , so I know the chattering doesn't bother only me. There's a place for everything on this forum, if we could just take a second to find it's home.

*M*

I thought that by becoming official we wouldn't have to change anything? Let alone in concern of displeasing Mika: this is a place for Mika's fans, not Mika himself. If he disapproved of its current nature in the first place his management wouldn't have approved the move to become official.

The chat is part of the nature of the MFC, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Many of us don't come here just to read concert reviews, we come here to talk to the friends that we've made on the MFC. I like to think that long after our Mika obsessions have faded we will still be friends with the people here.

I agree that concert review threads, news threads etc. should be more on-topic to save people time wading through the chat. But if a thread has been made just for chat there is no illusion about its content and if someone doesn't want to read it they don't have to.

That's my two cents.

I sometimes find inane chatter in a thread annoying, but please let's not use the "we're official, what would Mika think" rationale for anything to do with the content of threads.

If Mika has a problem with anything that goes on here he can discuss it with the admins and the admins can implement rules. We can't have the entire membership second guessing what Mika wants or doesn't want since, as Scut pointed out, Freddie has been telling us that Mika likes the forum the way it is.

You might mean well by this, but people aren't going to respond too well to being told they can't discuss things freely.. Off-topic happens alot and shouldn't be stopped unless the thread is news or reports where it really becomes tiresome to read through chat.. but even then, we shouldn't try to stop it.

If what you say is really such a terrible problem then the Mods will PM those concerned or perhaps make a thread themselves to point out that we need to cut down on chit chat.. But it hasn't happened. And the overall feeling here is people want to talk to each other.

I think that's what this site is all about - chatting! There is lots of Mika love going around. I think most of the threads, including the one you mentioned should be opened for chatting. Why not? The pictures are on the first page, so if someone wants to see them, feel free to look there. I do think the news and report threads should be less chatting so we can all find the "meat" there, but other than that, I think we should all be free to chat. That's why this is such a great site and people want to come back for more.

I was talking to Mika yesterday and he was like, "You know what I hate?" And so I say, "what?" and then he goes, "oooh, wait a sec, I love that advert they're playing now, it's demented!" And I was all, "ugh, it's a stupid commercial Mika, what do you hate?" and he says, "Well, I'm about to tell you that... wait, I got a text from Katy!" and then I sighed and switched the channel, and finally he finishes his text and says "on-topic!"

"What?" I ask, completely confused now. "You're telling ME to keep on topic? You're the one who--!"

"No, no, I hate it."

"Hate what?"

"Hate... Hate the shoes Katy just bought! Look, she just sent me a photo from the store."

"They're all right, just kinda pointy."

"Right, I hate that. You know, the point."

"What?? Will you get to the point?"

"No, that IS the point."

"Mika, I'm going to hit you, I swear. I'm really beginning to hate--"

"Always staying on-topic."

"No, I don't hate that! You never DO that!"

"Exactly!"

"Huh?"

"I hate staying on-topic. It's so boring!"

"Ohhhhhhh."

"Yeah."

So there you have it. Mika hates people who stay resolutely on-topic. :bleh:

--Jack

I was talking to Mika yesterday and he was like, "You know what I hate?" And so I say, "what?" and then he goes, "oooh, wait a sec, I love that advert they're playing now, it's demented!" And I was all, "ugh, it's a stupid commercial Mika, what do you hate?" and he says, "Well, I'm about to tell you that... wait, I got a text from Katy!" and then I sighed and switched the channel, and finally he finishes his text and says "on-topic!"

"What?" I ask, completely confused now. "You're telling ME to keep on topic? You're the one who--!"

"No, no, I hate it."

"Hate what?"

"Hate... Hate the shoes Katy just bought! Look, she just sent me a photo from the store."

"No, that IS the point."

"Exactly!"

"Huh?"

"Ohhhhhhh."

"Yeah."

--Jack

That's just about the best thing I've read all week.

:lmfao:

technically the "general chin wagging" areas are for people to chat, but by implementing rules and stuff saying you can and cannot talk about that seems to take away the fun and friendly feel....am i alone thinking this or am i over reacting?

There's nothing more annoying then someone who can't stay on topic and rambles...:mf_rosetinted:

But I also agree that the rationale that "what on earth would Mika say" etc etc, is not reason enough to have this "policed".

Besides I have been on threads where, say someone knows that they're off topic (Myself incuded!) mention that they are off-topic with emoctions and are being "told" by mods or others to stay on topic-

perhaps this particular request is needless??:wink2:

I understand your point, but this is what i feel:

The general chin wagging section is for what it describes in it's title - just having a good old natter about anything and everything, especially in the threads for the particular nationalities and the bar.

Some threads you stumble upon might have sparked from a joke in a different thread, that you perhaps weren't there for (i'm using the word you as a general term here) - sometimes i have a look in new threads and think "??" :boxed:, but me - i'm not the kind of person who is bothered if i'm not in on a joke.

But i'm sure if you wanted to know what the thread was about, you could just ask - i'm sure people will explain!

Some threads do tend to waver off topic, they're bound to really, but they'll revert back to the original topic eventually.

I think that the MFC is a nice place to relax - chat about whatever takes your fancy and to chat about the one person we're all here for of course.... :bleh:

"No, no, I hate it."

"Hate what?"

"No, that IS the point."

"Exactly!"

"Huh?"

"Ohhhhhhh."

"Yeah."

--Jack

Brilliant!!!!:roftl: :roftl:

The chat is part of the nature of the MFC, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Many of us don't come here just to read concert reviews, we come here to talk to the friends that we've made on the MFC. I like to think that long after our Mika obsessions have faded we will still be friends with the people here.

I agree. Compared to other forums, MFC has a shocking amount of "white noise" - but I believe that's part of MFC culture.

In concert threads, or serious threads where a member is voicing a concern, we'd be well advised to stay on topic. But for the most part, random chatter is how friendships are forged around here. MFC has a distinct culture, and I think the chatter is a huge part of that. :thumb_yello:

I was talking to Mika yesterday and he was like, "You know what I hate?" And so I say, "what?" and then he goes, "oooh, wait a sec, I love that advert they're playing now, it's demented!" And I was all, "ugh, it's a stupid commercial Mika, what do you hate?" and he says, "Well, I'm about to tell you that...

Perfect. :lmao:

I agree that review and gig threads should try to stay clear of too much chatter (oh yes I think I was the one who made the "no chatting allowed" alternative Glasgow gig review thread...which was fair enough when we got to 127 pages and no reviews... we did have some very funny chats though in the original review thread.)

But the general chin wagging sections and other banter-filled places are what makes this place so special, and we get to know each other and make friends.

Some of the chatter and some of the threads are mindless drivel which might appeal to one age-group or another, but you can just scroll at high speed and look for that sliver of sanity/wit/sarcasm/sugar/great photo/vid or just down-right good writing that pops up at least once or twice a day. Yeah it can be a hassle but you learn to live with it. :mf_rosetinted: And who would ever have thought that a word like chicken, used one night, would become fan-club legend material??? That was a very chatty thread that night if you look at Kath or Carrie's signatures.:naughty: