New Blog from Mikey

babspanky

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=65234887&blogID=386482760

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Anti-Racist Weekend!

Just got home! Had a great day today! Hooked up with my mentor Jerry Dammers who I hadn't seen for years (literally) and borrowed a flute and did a gig at the RESPECT festival in Victoria Park! It was a superstar band! Joing Jerry on stage included US brass section The Hypnotic Brass, Damon Albarn and the rest of the Good the Bad and the Queen (and his string section), me old mate Ollie on bass and the legendary Rico on trombone! Also got my friend Carl on sax on it and Zoe ..s and a percussionist and extra flugel horn..... plus around 7 guest rappers... all preaching a powerful anti racist message and celebrating the lives lost to racisim including Stephen Lawrence...

Jerry reminded me and many folk at the gig about the power of music and the influence it can have on the world and how we have become a bit lazy... how we forget about our brothers and sisters around the world... and on our doorstep!

It was beautiful, electric, memorable, and reminding.... that we need to get back to our human roots... our essence that we are a social race... and that means we have have social responsibilities....

Today has reminded me how lucky I am to have not only to have worked with some of the most extraordinary and important musicians in contemporary music but that I live in a city and society where the colour of my skin is not wrong!

Mikey x

14:08 - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment -

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bab. :thumb_yello: What a great message from Mikey. So often we are so focused on things in life we are dissatisfied with. We forget to realize that we are blessed with living in a relatively peaceful time and place in human history.

Wish I'd known this was on, I could have driven on into London. I remember Jerry Dammers from The Specials, always loved their music. Great musician and spokesman.

Thanks Bab. :thumb_yello: What a great message from Mikey. So often we are so focused on things in life we are dissatisfied with. We forget to realize that we are blessed with living in a relatively peaceful time and place in human history.

Exactly. Not a bad thing for us all to take a moment to reflect on.

Thanks for posting, Bab!

Some of us. Often at the expense of less peaceful times for other places and people that we either directly exploit or not-so-directly benefit from to make our own lifestyle possible...

:emot-sad:

--Jack

Some of us. Often at the expense of less peaceful times for other places and people that we either directly exploit or not-so-directly benefit from to make our own lifestyle possible...

:emot-sad:

--Jack[/quote

You are right Jack. Many of us are privileged as a result of the adversity and tragedies of others. I'm glad you pointed this out. This gives us a better perspective of our circumstances.

I missed this blog from Mikey.

The colour of his skin could never be wrong from where I sit.

But here, the colour of mine has been wrong more than once.

Tolerance, diversity, acceptance...

Not just for skin colour, for language, for culture, for beliefs, for religions, for choices...

Thanks Mikey for making us think about this:wub2:

You are right Jack. Many of us are privileged as a result of the adversity and tragedies of others. I'm glad you pointed this out. This gives us a better perspective of our circumstances.

Actually I'm kind of sorry I was such a downer. Didn't mean to be all gloomy-serious, sorry, this kind of stuff just happened to be on my mind lately. :thumbdown: It's good to reflect on one's blessings and be happy for them too.

--Jack

Actually I'm kind of sorry I was such a downer. Didn't mean to be all gloomy-serious, sorry, this kind of stuff just happened to be on my mind lately. :thumbdown: It's good to reflect on one's blessings and be happy for them too.

--Jack

Actually, you shouldn't be sorry because what you pointed out was pushed to the back of my mind when I wrote my first. But you remind us that it's actually what we need to remember at the forefront of our minds (to appreciate what we have even more so).