• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First DM shows live on TV

tumblr_miyz1tbuN01r2z3qgo2_500.jpg

Depeche Mode To Sit For First SXSW Interview

Depeche Mode will give a rare conference appearance this March when they sit for an on-stage interview at South by Southwest.

It’ll be the veteran British alternative rock group’s first visit to SXSW, and one of their first public outings since signing a worldwide deal last year with Columbia Records.

KCRW music director Jason Bentley — host of the tastemaker radio station’s “Morning Becomes Eclectic” — will grill the three members Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher.

In a statement issued today, organizers promised the March 13 conversation at the Austin Convention Center would cover Depeche Mode’s past, present and future, though there’s no word yet on whether they’ll perform a concert during the week.

Depeche Mode surprised many when they struck a deal with Columbia Records last December, ending a 30-year association with Daniel Miller’s Mute in the U.K., and in the U.S. with the Warner Music labels Sire and Reprise. A new album, “Delta Machine,” will arrive through Columbia/Sony this March.

The band’s last effort, 2009’s “Sounds of the Universe,” peaked at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and hit the top spot in 14 countries. The new set will be Depeche Mode’s 13th studio album.

An extensive European tour in support of the album will kick off May 4 at the Palais Nikaia in Nice, France, followed by a U.S. trek.

On Billboard: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1550655/depeche-mode-to-sit-for-first-sxsw-interview

Edited by BiaIchihara

THE DELTA MACHINE WORLD TOUR - NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES

Thursday, Aug. 22 Detroit, MI DTE Energy Music Theatre

Saturday, Aug. 24 Chicago, IL First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Aug. 27 St. Paul, MN Minnesota State Fair**

Sunday, Sep. 1 Toronto, ON Molson Canadian Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Sep. 3 Montreal, QB Bell Centre

Friday, Sep. 6 Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center

Sunday, Sep. 8 Wantagh, NY Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

Tuesday, Sep. 10 Washington DC Jiffy Lube Live

Thursday, Sep. 12 Atlanta, GA Aaron’s Amphitheatre at Lakewood

Saturday, Sep. 14 Tampa, FL Live Nation Amphitheatre at the Florida State Fairgrounds

Sunday, Sep. 15 Ft Lauderdale, FL BB&T Center

Wednesday, Sep. 18 Houston, TX Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Friday, Sep. 20 Dallas, TX Gexa Energy Pavilion

Sunday, Sep. 22 San Diego, CA Sleep Train Amphitheatre

Tuesday, Sep. 24 Santa Barbara, CA Santa Barbara Bowl

Thursday, Sep. 26 Mountain View, CA Shoreline Amphitheatre

Saturday, Sep. 28 Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center

Sunday, Sep. 29 Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center

Tuesday, Oct. 8 Phoenix, AZ Desert Sky Pavilion

All dates subject to change.

Please visit http://www.DepecheMode.com, LiveNation.com and Ticketmaster.com for additional ticket and tour information.

Check more here: http://depechemode.tumblr.com/post/45115180735/depeche-mode-confirms-return-to-north-america-with#_=_

From DM FB

Want to be a part of The Delta Machine Tour video show? Want a chance to win one of five pairs of tickets to a show of your choice on The Delta Machine Tour?

We need your help coloring one of Anton Corbijn’s photos, which will become part of a large video art piece used on the tour.

To take part, go to http://dpchm.de/DMArtwork and follow the directions. Contest ends March 21st, so hurry and good luck!

71948_10151552991000329_1527810122_n.jpg

Some days ago, I made with some colleagues a presentation about LEDs and I put some DM music as a background while one of them was showing a light cannon :teehee: (13:58 - 14:20)

[YOUTUBE]xCFAIbZbkfk[/YOUTUBE]

And yes, I know, I'm a bad kid (and please don't stare at me too much, I'm not that pretty) :mf_rosetinted::aah:

Depeche Mode’s Andy Fletcher talks new songs, enduring ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’

TORONTO – Depeche Mode has released a new album every four years since the early 1990s, so fans weren’t surprised by the English band’s announcement in late January that its 13th record was coming soon. The blues-tinged “Delta Machine” is out March 26 and the electronic band has September gigs scheduled at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre in Toronto and Bell Centre in Montreal.

Band member Andy Fletcher talked to The Canadian Press about what influenced the new songs, playing 30-year-old hits, and the lead single “Heaven.”

CP: How did the blues inspire the new album?

AF: We have dabbled in this before, one of our most famous tracks, ‘Personal Jesus,’ is very linked to blues music. All three of the band members, we have varied tastes in music going back to blues to early rock ‘n’ roll. I think the interesting thing is the mixing between blues and electronics and I think it really goes well. Obviously some songs such as ‘Slow’ are more heavily blues influenced but even the tracks that are mainly electronics you can still hear the blues influence.

CP: What’s on the set list for the new tour?

AF: It’s difficult getting a set together because there are so many songs now over the years, so many classics, and somehow we have to get a set together that sort of represents our whole career and at the same time, make sure the new album gets its songs as well. It’s a bit of a process but I think we’re getting there.

CP: Which of the new songs are likely to be played?

AF: Our last album, ‘Sounds of the Universe,’ I don’t think many of the songs really translated live that well but this album seems to be completely the opposite, it’s quite a minimal but powerful album and a lot of the tracks are sounding very good like “Soft Touch/Raw Nerve.” “Angel” is sounding really, really powerful, and “Should Be Higher.” We can’t play, unfortunately, too many songs from the new album because we have fans that go back such a long way, it’d be a bit selfish, I think, just playing a lot of songs off the new album and disregarding tracks from our career.

CP: Have you considered giving a modern make-over to older tracks like “Just Can’t Get Enough” that fans want to hear live but no longer reflect your current musical style?

DM: You can’t modernize ‘Just Can’t Get Enough,’ it’s a classic pop song, it has a classic sound, you just have to play it. It’s one of the most famous tracks of the ’80s, if you tried to modernize it it’d be horrible. I think it stands up as a classic track and obviously you have to position it in the set list where it’ll sound the most comfortable but I think we’d be doing the song — such a part of our history — a disservice to try to modernize it.

CP: Why “Heaven” as the lead single? Was it the band’s choice or the label’s preference?

“I don’t think the label would’ve chosen that song, we just felt it was the right sound to introduce the album: great song. Commercially it doesn’t really stand up, it’s too slow, but for us it’s the perfect taste for the album itself…. It is important to us still to have success but not at all costs.”

And from DM FB:

As part of the band's partnership with charity: water they'll be pledging their birthdays this year to raise money for clean water projects. For more info or to join the band and pledge your birthday, check out: http://dpchm.de/DMcharitywater.

Delta Force: A Q&A with Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan

When Depeche Mode started making music back in 1979, plunking out electro-pop charmers on cheap synthesizers in London clubs, they probably couldn’t imagine a time when they would sell a million stadium tickets on the strength of an album no one had yet heard. And here they are, in 2013, having just released their 13th studio album, Delta Machine, on their new label home of Columbia Records. The group, with 30-plus years of music making behind them, is about to embark on yet another world tour, selling out stadiums soon to be filled fans eager to sing along to hits like “Enjoy the Silence,” “Never Let Me Down,” and “Personal Jesus.”

Working together for so long created a lot of tensions within the group. Despite years of well-documented infighting, the band managed to release a new album and go on tour every four years. It’s something that frontman Dave Gahan chalked up to the “undeniable chemistry” between him and the group’s main songwriter Martin Gore—a synergy that created works like Music for the Masses and Violator. Whatever tension existed between the band seems to have evaporated on their latest album, Delta Machine, which was released last week. The album is an ebullient reminder of an enduring partnership— Gore, Gahan and Andy Fletcher are really good at their craft—all too rare in a business known for chewing up and spitting out the best and brightest.

Before the band left on a 34-date stadium tour, which kicks off on May 7 in Tel Aviv, Gahan spoke with TIME about the life and times of Depeche Mode, what drives him, and Delta Machine.

TIME: You’ve been making music for almost 35 years.

Dave Gahan: Yeah it must be something close to that. We were playing gigs at little clubs around London and trying to get out of London in 1979, ’80. Then we put out our first single in 1981. It’s been awhile.

What do you think are some of the biggest changes that you’ve seen in the industry?

It’s totally different. It’s kind of beyond me, really, now. What’s changed the most, I think, is the idea of having an album – of having that special thing in front of you and reading the lyrics and all that stuff – that died the minute the record industry decided to make the compact disc. It was the death, really. Even when they first came out, for me, the packaging was sh–, ‘What is this piece of plastic? It’s nothing special.’

Was Delta Machine released on vinyl?

Yes, it does come out on vinyl, but that was all you sold back then. That’s what people bought. They bought albums or cassettes.

And now HMV just closed in the UK…

There’s no more record stores! In New York I’ve watched them slowly disappear. One thing that happened though, is that I think live music is more popular now than it’s ever been. The possibilities are endless now, with performing, getting your music online, getting your own website and getting your music out there. I think that’s very cool and amazing.

Have you embraced social media?

Personally? No. I barely email. I text, but—put it this way: The other day, my daughter texted me something that was funny, so I texted back to her “LOL” And she texted back to me, “Don’t do that, Dad.” I was like, right, right. I do use texting as a great way to communicate quickly, but I don’t Twitter or anything.

Speaking of technology, as pioneers in the electronic music field, how have the changes in technology affected how you make music?

Funny enough, in the studio we tend to lean towards modular synthesizers, old fashioned synthesizers, from the ’70s through the ’80s.

So you have the exact same equipment you started with?

We have a lot of equipment. Martin [Gore] has a collection of old synthesizers and drum machines that would fill this room, literally. [Ed. Note: It’s a big room.] They are big and old and clunky, but they make great noises. We use soft synths too, online, but not so much on this record. This record was predominantly modular synthesizers that were manipulated and played and sent through amplifiers. Same with drum machines, guitars, and everything. We often manipulate original sound– whatever is creating that sound– through a wall of synthesizers and amplifiers to create a sound that is really interesting to us because of the rhythm or the atmosphere it creates.

But, you know, for me, making records has become …well, I long for it to be a simpler process. Making a record with Depeche Mode is not a simple process. It’s quite complicated and long. We have the luxury of time. I’m not sure that’s such a good thing when you’re being creative. We come into the studio with lots of songs in mind. I’ve demoed songs, Martin’s demoed songs, we have 20 songs and we come into the studio to record them. You would think coming into the studio with songs demoed and ready, that we would come into the studio ready to record them quickly. But we don’t. I kind of like that process of working a little faster in the studio. It gets boring for me. They are in their laboratory surrounded by all these twiddly things with all these things that make bleeps and noises and I sit there, like, “Can I sing now? Can I sing now? Can I sing now?”

Has that always been your process?

Yeah, I’ll just go in the other room and fiddle around on my guitar. Now, I don’t waste my time. We recorded a chunk of Delta Machine at Jungle City, Alicia Keyes’ place, and we recorded a bunch of it out in Santa Barbara where Martin lives in a downtown studio there. But Martin has his own studio and I have my own studio – they’re both small places. So when they are working in the main studio, I’ll be in the little studio – mine or Martin’s – doing vocals. They might be working on one track during the day, and I’ll say to the producer, ‘It sounds good, give it to me now before you start fiddling with it too much.’ Then I’ll go do vocals, give it to the producer, he’ll shove it in a computer and see what works, what has to go. It’s like a puzzle. It’s a continuous thing. We don’t close the door on it all until its finished. Each song goes through many different interpretations. As Martin always says, we always go thorough a reggae version of the song and it never ends up there, but it gets that beat going on. We’ll try a blues-driven beat. We speed it up, we change the key, we’ll play with it until it works.

Do you have a favorite song on this record or is there one that you think holds the album together?

On this record, for me, one of the key songs was “Heaven,” which isn’t probably the most obvious of singles, but Martin and I felt it represented the record in lots of ways, which is why we wanted to put it out first. It’s not like we felt it was going to be a big hit or something, but that doesn’t really drive us to make music. We all like to have hits, it’s nice to have hits, of course, but after making 13 records together, it’s not what drives you. What drives you is to make a great record. That’s what still drives me. Certain songs propel that. “Heaven” is one of those songs. When Martin played the demo for me, I was in. It’s gospel-y bluesy, it’s right up my street. Songs like that speak to me. I hope I can write one someday. I did a Soulsavers project last year and we wrote a bunch of songs together and there are some songs like that on there. This song would fit very well on The Light the Dead See. That’s where I’m at right now, a gospel-y bluesy thing just speaks to me.

Which, of course, is the antithesis of what people think of when they think Depeche Mode.

The title Delta Machine describes it, though. It’s influenced by the blues, but it’s made by machines. It’s what we do and this album embraces that more than the last couple. Every album leads you to the next one somehow. Sometimes, you make a record and you’re not quite sure why you’re making it, but you find out when you make the next one.

As an artist who has such an ardent fanbase and impressive discography, do you feel tied to the past at all? Or do you just make what you are driven to create and hope the fans like it?

It’s probably the latter. There’s a lot of talk like that in the recording studio from record companies and you have to watch out for it. They’ll say, ‘Oh that sounds like old-school Depeche’ and alarm bells go off for me. Martin and I have an undeniable chemistry together, and you don’t mess with it, it just is. His songs speak to me. I don’t know why that is, but it works. For me, when I start hearing people in the studio saying that it sounds old-school or that it sounds like something that is far away from who we are I’m, like, ‘Great let’s go far away from who we are.’ Because it’s like a clock, you can try and get away from who you are, but it will come right back round. It’s my voice, it’s Martin’s influences, there’s a style that the song is written and arranged. It’s good to take it away. There are some fans who will love this record, and there are some who think, ‘I don’t like this record, because it doesn’t sound like that one.’ You have to keep moving forward as an artist. It’s a ridiculous idea to try and repeat a process. I am afraid of that. If we go in the studio and it feels too normal, then you’re not pushing yourself. The moment that happens, I think Martin and I will look at ourselves and say, ‘We’re finished.’ [laughs] Why stay in the same band and limit myself as a musician?

Have you ever wanted to do anything else career-wise?

It’s great being in a band. If it doesn’t work and you’re just fighting other bulls–t and the music’s put on the side, you gotta move on. You have to find the right spot. I was lucky to find that right when I was about to throw in the towel. Before we made Exciter …we began making that record and it felt like, ‘We’ve done this.’ For me, it did, anyway. I don’t know if Martin and Fletch did. I had demoed a bunch of songs, but it was clear that the band was not interested in any of my writing aspirations. I played a couple of things and there was literally no reaction. I remember being quite upset about that. I didn’t vocally say anything, but I was quite upset. Like, ‘F— you guys!’ — but the message I got was, that’s not what you do—you sing. I made a decision that I was going to work really hard on my vocals. I was going to go on the Exciter tour and then I was going to go in the studio — with different people.

That, for me, was the beginning of actually becoming very enthusiastic about making music. I was getting to the point where I wanted to go paint or something. I wasn’t interested in making music anymore. I wasn’t interested in myself as an artist. I wasn’t stimulated. I didn’t know it then, though, but now I see it. I had, like, 15 or 16 songs that eventually became the record Paper Monsters. And, then, forming a band to tour with that for six months, changed my whole outlook. Then, I was ready to go back in the studio to make Playing The Angel with Depeche Mode. I don’t think I would have done that without making the Paper Monsters album and touring, though.

Is that a lesson that you would want to pass on to younger artists? Make sure you’re doing what you love?

When you’re younger and you’re driven by something that seems much larger than life when you begin. You’re in a band. You’re in the back of a van, traveling from gig to gig, and it’s just you against the world. It’s cool! It’s the greatest thing.

Do you miss that?

I got it back when I did the Paper Monsters tour. There was a lot of that, where we were just in the back of the van, traveling through Europe, getting held at borders, barely making the gig, running on stage. It was fun. So I try to make this fun now. Touring with Depeche Mode is a whole different thing. This tour that we’re doing in Europe now, it’s 30 shows and we’ve already sold a million tickets. That’s beyond what we couldn’t have imagined. But touring with Depeche Mode is a production. There’s a hundred people in the crew and lights and show—and a lot is expected. That’s what we try to live up to. Depeche Mode has become something that I see very clearly …our fans who come to the gigs, they know us. They know our music. It means something to them. It means something in their life, or it meant something, anyway. Thirty years is a long time. It’s why people walk up to me on the street in New York and say, ‘That record got me through college!’ or ‘That song came on when my daughter was born.’ I get more of that than anything else and that’s a really nice feeling, to have meant something. To be part of something that means something to people.

Edited by BiaIchihara

Just found a article about DM on a newspaper's site from my city and of course I got very happy :fangurl:

I will try to get the physical version of it btw :das:

Here's the translation :wink2:

Depeche Mode keeps faithful to their style, without sounding nostalgic

New album, "Delta Machine", ends the trilogy of albums produced by british Ben Hillier

In times of "leaked" records before their launch, full streaming of unreleased albums and songs released for download of what is yet to come, it has been given increasingly less attention to video clips. For 20 years, this was a product of all the work required for a pop success. Who still devotes some time to these productions can have a good surprise. Of course, the challenge is painful, as it is quite necessary to dig among the divas videos of R&B and pop, foul-mouthed rappers and teen heartthrobs, all engaged in an exhaustive repetition of cliches, that mathematically tends to infinity.

A video like "Heaven" is there to save the day. Part of the first promotional single from Depeche Mode's new album "Delta Machine", the clip was directed by Timothy Saccenti, young star of photographic and audiovisual market, with experience in advertising and videos for artists. Saccenti records a performance of the English trio in an old church in New Orleans (USA), alternating the band's images sequences with a mystical tree and characters that seem to be sprung out of a fusion of science fiction and religious fantasy. Of course, that is not a new image - remember "The Sun Always Shines on TV", by the Norwegian group a-ha, to stay in a aesthetically similar ground to Depeche Mode's.

What makes "Heaven" something that deserves your attention is the perfect sync of the image with the song. "Heaven" is a beautiful song. Like those songs that make you repeat once, twice, three times, before moving on to the next track of the CD or MP3 player. It's sticky, despite it's melancholic slowness and not having one of those choruses easy to be hummed away. The verses evoke religious images, of enjoyment and mystical transcendence without transmitting joy. Before, emulates a chronic sadness. As in Saccenti's video.

Organic

"Heaven" is a ballad that helps us to remember the importance of Depeche Mode to pop music. The group emerged in 1980, integrating the wave of post-punk bands that joined the Futurist music, with keyboards and synthesizers in the foreground. The rock purists ''twisted their noses'', attacking synthpop music in favor of a more "organic".

In fact, there was no lack of picks pushing buttons and making crappy pop music, but with popular appeal. However, Depeche Mode, New Order, among the few members of a select group, proved that it was possible to make good, organic songs, with all that electronic paraphernalia, and there was no need to take the feelings of the songs or sacrificing the pop appeal of their production.

"Delta Machine" was produced with the same concept that helped Depeche Mode to create gems like "Enjoy the Silence", "Personal Jesus" and "Strange Love." The disc is a proof of Depeche Mode still represents the ''cream'' of electronic pop lineage. (The band) It's able to keep his identity ("this is a DM record") without sounding like a nostalgic piece ("they went back to the good times of this or that classic album").

The disc works well from the start to the end. From the minimalist gait "Welcome to my World" to the dancing "Soothe my soul", through the ballads "Heaven" and "Slow", and indie rock "Broken". It's not difficult, however, that the concept of the album may slightly disturb some people. The idea of ​​Dave Gahan (lead vocals), Martin Gore (keyboards and guitars) and Andy Fletcher (keyboards) was a dark and melancholic sound. They do it right, but don't leave much space for dancing songs. Absorbed by the beauty of tracks like "Slow" is pretty difficult to notice this defect.

Edited by BiaIchihara

• 2 weeks later...

From DM FB

Watch video of the band performing a studio session of "Soft Touch / Raw Nerve": http://dpchm.de/SoftTouchRawNerve

"‘Heaven’ was written on a piano. I had all the chords and everything all worked out on the piano and the whole vocal melody and the lyrics worked out before I went anywhere near a computer.” - Martin L Gore

Did you miss Depeche Mode at SXSW? Stream the performance here: http://smarturl.it/DM-SXSW

64185_10151607970895329_1309427190_n.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
If anyone is interested Belgrade concert is over. Here are some photos. http://www.nadlanu.com/pocetna/zabava/foto/Pogledajte-prvi-Depeche-Mode-u-Beogradu-FOTO.a-181813.142.html

depeche%20mode%20(21)_1368996166_670x0.jpg

haven't seen your post Nena, sorry :doh: thanks for posting :huglove:

AND

There's videos on YT to watch Lisbon gig, here's one of them :das:

[YOUTUBE]C5CQQGY2_0A#at=89[/YOUTUBE]