The "I don't drive and that's ok" Thread

I used to think that there was something wrong with me that I couldn't drive.

I would get annnoyed when people would ask me why I don't drive. These days , however, I don't care! The reasons why I don't drive or never bothered to get my lisence is that I couldn't be bothered and just never really had any desire. Besides I also have a spatial problem with my sight. The environmental issue never crossed my mind, although I thought of it a few times! I walk lots..I see things...I tend to day dream..I ride the bus and train and meet people and listen to my ipod and read a book. In fact...most of my female best friends don't drive and they are in their thirties! and there are more of us out there! like our MIKA!

this is for people who are over 16 who do not drive . What are your reasons?

check this website : http://adultnondrivers.tribe.net/

77b73b74-f10a-4135-83bf-6b5de9a1a922

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im 13 and i can drive :lmfao:

haha sorry. i learned how to drive, and i like to practice. im looking fowards to when i turn 16 and i can get my permit. it seems to me that driving just makes you more independent, but maybe thats just cuz i dont live in a big city and there isnt a metro or something to get around

but yeah, i guess not driving isnt that bad. you are doing your part to help the environment and it is fun

I maintain my license, but I rarely drive. I sold my car 4 years ago to live in a condo downtown and I walk just about everywhere. I live close enough to work and amenities that I don't need public transport very often.

I walked to the last Mika gig and I'll be walking to the Cure concert on Thursday. Everything is right on my doorstep.

I maintain my license, but I rarely drive. I sold my car 4 years ago to live in a condo downtown and I walk just about everywhere. I live close enough to work and amenities that I don't need public transport very often.

I walked to the last Mika gig and I'll be walking to the Cure concert on Thursday. Everything is right on my doorstep.

same here! Vancouver is so much fun too when i visit there and I use the train everywhere!

it's much easier when you live in a big city. believe me when you live in the coutryside, far away from everything with bad public transport, you start to love driving lol

but I don't see people who don't drive as stupid or anything, I only drive because I really need to lol

Yes, per gallon.

really? the canadian dollar is exactly par and we pay $5.30 per gallon!

what?

where in hades is it that cheap?

that means our gas is over twice as expensive as yours! YIKES

I see you got my e-mail :D

I don't drive AND I live in the middle of nowhere. At least I live IN the small town I live in. I'd be out of luck if I couldn't walk to the store or wherever I need to go. Of course, there aren't many places I need to go because there aren't many places to go.

OI! That got silly!

I tried to learn when I was in high school, but all three times I got behind the wheel I was so awful that I spent most of the term sitting in study hall. People have threatened to teach me to drive over the years, but every time I get my permit they back out. Most people are content that I've made a token effort to learn and I'm perfectly content to not know how :biggrin2:

And yes, I do get around just fine on public transit when I do go to the city for an event. It takes me longer to get to the city, but I enjoy the journey and have a great time when I get there :punk:

The gas is supposedly supposed to go up to like 7 dollars in the summer... I don't know if it's all over the states or just in california though. That's insane.. I'd rather ride my bike everywhere. Much more fun and productive. But slower. And no blasting MIKA till it's over the speakers capacity of sound bites...

I see you got my e-mail :D

I don't drive AND I live in the middle of nowhere. At least I live IN the small town I live in. I'd be out of luck if I couldn't walk to the store or wherever I need to go. Of course, there aren't many places I need to go because there aren't many places to go.

OI! That got silly!

I tried to learn when I was in high school, but all three times I got behind the wheel I was so awful that I spent most of the term sitting in study hall. People have threatened to teach me to drive over the years, but every time I get my permit they back out. Most people are content that I've made a token effort to learn and I'm perfectly content to not know how :biggrin2:

And yes, I do get around just fine on public transit when I do go to the city for an event. It takes me longer to get to the city, but I enjoy the journey and have a great time when I get there :punk:

Oh yeah! fer sure hon! i did get your email! I tried too! failed the road test!

I did try!too! but soon got impatient , gave up and found other things to do!

man i would choose walking over driving...but i don't live in a big city and because life is sooo fast pace you must be somewhere at everytime. it's really quite awful. i waited a couple months after i was allowed to get my liscene but i was forced to get it to help out my mom. i do errands for her but that's about it...but driving w/ a liscene is much better than w/ a permit!

I'm 23 and I have a learner's permit, but no driver's license.

I wanted to get my learner's permit at 14, but my parents refused to sign the consent form. I was told A) that girls don't need to drive, and B) if I insisted, I could wait until I was 18 and didn't need their consent. :sneaky2:

At 18 I got my learner's permit, but my parents refused to teach me to drive. After I met Andrew he agreed to teach me. I took my road test once and failed it because I messed up on hill parking. Between work and school and just generic life, I haven't bothered brushing up on my hill parking to take the test again.

We live in a condo with only one parking space which houses Andrew's car, so even if I got a license I'd have no place for a car of my own. Not to mention I have things that I'd rather spend my money on than a car. *coughmikaticketscough*

We live in a major city where public transit is slow, but it's there if I need it. The rest of the time Andrew and I go out together, and he's happy to drive.

Getting my license is on my to-do list, but it's certainly not my top priority. One of these days, maybe. But until then, anyone who wants to go "ohmigod you're 23 and you don't have your own CAR?! GASP!" can take a long walk off a short pier. :sneaky2:

It's funny, I was soooo looking forward to my 16th birthday so I could finally get my permit...but guess what, my 16th came and went, and I still haven't started studying the book...:roftl:

I'm just lazy. I would like to get it sooner or later, though, because my mum's getting sick of driving me everywhere. Where I live is pretty damn rural, so you either have to hitchhike, take the bus which only has 5 official stops and has an hour wait in between, or...drive.

Here, gas is $1.45 per LITRE. I dunno what that converts to in gallons, but...yeah.

I live in NYC where one doesn't feel so odd not being a licensed driver. While I love leaving less of a carbon footprint, when I am out of the city, I find it difficult to have to be dependent on others to get around. I have so many other things to tend to, practicing behind the wheel isn't as high on my list as it ought to be. I'm hoping to pass the road test before my age reaches the highway speed limit!! Good luck to everyone else out there trying!

I live in NYC where one doesn't feel so odd not being a licensed driver. While I love leaving less of a carbon footprint, when I am out of the city, I find it difficult to have to be dependent on others to get around. I have so many other things to tend to, practicing behind the wheel isn't as high on my list as it ought to be. I'm hoping to pass the road test before my age reaches the highway speed limit!! Good luck to everyone else out there trying!

*is extremely jealous*

I would give up all my driving just to live in NYC. :naughty: