Freddies English Teaching Course

so like if I say someone is legit, that means that person always follow rules or like that?

I would use "legit" in reference to a person if there was some question about whether they were who/what they claimed to be and it is eventually proven that they are for real.

For instance we had a journalist come to MFC once wanting to interview fans and because it's the internet and people can pretend to be anyone, it raises some suspicions. But after looking at this person's Twitter account and the website of the newspaper that they write for, etc. we were able to say the journalist (and the article he was going to write about Mika fans) was legit.

I hope that makes sense/helps.

I would use "legit" in reference to a person if there was some question about whether they were who/what they claimed to be and it is eventually proven that they are for real.

For instance we had a journalist come to MFC once wanting to interview fans and because it's the internet and people can pretend to be anyone, it raises some suspicions. But after looking at this person's Twitter account and the website of the newspaper that they write for, etc. we were able to say the journalist (and the article he was going to write about Mika fans) was legit.

can you use the word in a sentence?

A very good explanation, thank you! :thumb_yello: This is one of those words I can understand when someone else is using it but I can't use it myself. (I hope I can now! :))

I never knew that and people have been using it around me recently, and I felt I left it too long to ask. So thankyou :naughty:

I thought anyone with English as a second (or third, or fourth) language might appreciate this. :roftl:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313217_269580409746732_153592064678901_782839_700691022_n.jpg

Oh yes, I saw it on facebook and it's hilarious!:biggrin2:

I would guess every language has its un-explainable things, I remember trying to find some logic why we in the Swedish say that some things are lying and other things are standing on the table...it was no logic explanation, believe me!

slang = vernacular = common usage

Never heard, but thank you!:thumb_yello:

Edited by sienna

I never knew that and people have been using it around me recently, and I felt I left it too long to ask. So thankyou :naughty:

You're welcome. :thumb_yello:

Yeah MC Hammer. :naughty:

I meant to post this earlier but couldn't get on YouTube.

[YOUTUBE]Cdk1gwWH-Cg[/YOUTUBE]

Hello teachers! :bye:

Maybe you know some site or videos, that clearly explain the difference between British and American English? I watched some videos in YT, but I really need something more fundamental and clear.

There are lots of lists highlighting the differences in vocabulary (especially slang). What were you looking for exactly?

There are lots of lists highlighting the differences in vocabulary (especially slang). What were you looking for exactly?

I am worried, that I see no difference - when I watch film or hear someone talking, I will never tell from which country this man. And YT videos, where common people try to speak with different accents, are not convincing :boxed:

I have an awful pronunciation, because I have no-one to speak to, I can only write a bit. So, if I will train by myself (e.g. reading a text aloud) I need to know how to pronounce the words.

I am worried, that I see no difference - when I watch film or hear someone talking, I will never tell from which country this man. And YT videos, where common people try to speak with different accents, are not convincing :boxed:

I have an awful pronunciation, because I have no-one to speak to, I can only write a bit. So, if I will train by myself (e.g. reading a text aloud) I need to know how to pronounce the words.

How have you learned English so far? Have you been taught British or American English specifically? I have always learned Parisian French - in school, through conversational classes and tapes. I don't think I could distinguish between French accents in France either but I can hear that people in Québec sound different to the Parisian French I've learned.

I would recommend using language learning tapes if you want to improve your pronunciation, even if you already understand the vocabulary. Otherwise just watching a lot of television shows to get exposure. All the British dialect I know I think I learned from Coronation Street :naughty:

I will have a look around the net to see if I can find anything that may be useful.

How have you learned English so far? Have you been taught British or American English specifically? I have always learned Parisian French - in school, through conversational classes and tapes. I don't think I could distinguish between French accents in France either but I can hear that people in Québec sound different to the Parisian French I've learned.

I would recommend using language learning tapes if you want to improve your pronunciation, even if you already understand the vocabulary. Otherwise just watching a lot of television shows to get exposure. All the British dialect I know I think I learned from Coronation Street :naughty:

I will have a look around the net to see if I can find anything that may be useful.

Thank you! I don't want you to bother too much, but if you come across something useful, it would be great.

I learned English listening to my teachers in the University :naughty: there were several lessons about the difference, but at that time I wasn't interested. We watched some movies, always American, so I suppose I used to hear American English. But when I watch snatches of British movies I really see no difference. And I feel dumb :boxed:

But when I watch snatches of British movies I really see no difference. And I feel dumb :boxed:

Oh you shouldn't feel dumb. :aah: It is very difficult for me to hear the difference between some American and Canadian accents even though they are 3000 miles apart and I've been hearing them my whole life on television. Some films are not going to give you a realistic idea of what people in a community really sound like. That's why Coronation Street was helpful because they purposely speak in a regional dialect and accent which is very different from what you will hear on the BBC news for instance.

I have found some audio books that train people to act with specific accents (Texan, American South, New York, standard British, etc.) I am downloading them now and if they're any good I will share them with you.

In the meantime there are some videos and exercises on the BBC site for pronouncing English.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/pron/

Oh you shouldn't feel dumb. :aah: It is very difficult for me to hear the difference between some American and Canadian accents even though they are 3000 miles apart and I've been hearing them my whole life on television. Some films are not going to give you a realistic idea of what people in a community really sound like. That's why Coronation Street was helpful because they purposely speak in a regional dialect and accent which is very different from what you will hear on the BBC news for instance.

I have found some audio books that train people to act with specific accents (Texan, American South, New York, standard British, etc.) I am downloading them now and if they're any good I will share them with you.

In the meantime there are some videos and exercises on the BBC site for pronouncing English.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/pron/

Oh, thank you so much! As soon as this busy crazy week-end is over, I will scrutinize it!

:blink: way too many resources :insane:

I'm English and always thought legit was just a slang word for legitimate, I didn't know it was a proper word. Having said that, every year they add stuff to the dictionaries so maybe it started off as legitimate and became so commonly used that it earned a place of it's own in the dictionary.

hi :bye:

so I was wondering what's the differences between "grey" and "gray"

thanks!

Nothing. Grey is the UK spelling and gray the US. Although Wiki says we used gray up to the first half of the 20th century, but I wouldn't know that as although I am old I'm not that old.:aah:

:blowup:

? :dunno:

Nothing. Grey is the UK spelling and gray the US. Although Wiki says we used gray up to the first half of the 20th century, but I wouldn't know that as although I am old I'm not that old.:aah:

I would be surprised if that's true. It's also spelled "grey" in Canada and it's not like Canadians look back to the UK for spellings and word usage. If it was the same in the UK back before Canada more or less went its separate ways then it will be the same now but if the UK has changed in more recent times then it will be different now. That's why we still put "u"s in words like "colour" but we say pants instead of trousers, etc.