Freddies English Teaching Course

Yes I can hear the difference but I can't explain it because I'm not a linguist. :naughty: I think the T is replaced with a different sound (like a glottal stop) or maybe the a vowels are different. :dunno: American and British accents are different so I guess I interpret most British speech within its context so it's hard to say. We always enunciate Rs and Ts where some Brits are dropping them.

I´ve listened to the song again and I can´t hear anything.... I blame it on my parents who were living in Spain instead of UK or USA when I was born :shun:

I don't think I'm the one who's got the best answer as I'm not a native speaker, but I would say 'can' and 'can't' don't sound the same, at least with British accent just like in By The Time.

I don't think the 't' is so important, it's the sound of the 'a' that would help you decide if it's the negative form or not..I mean in the song if he said 'can' you would hear an open 'a' almost like in 'cat'

But here you can clearly hear another sound for 'a'.. (in phonetics ɑ: instead of æ in 'can')

My reply is messy :teehee:

Yes, I thought so, but I do listen a clear "a" in the song :aah:

I´m still hopeless......

Is there a rule which says if I have to say:

- my car´s battery

or

- the battery of my car ???

(Do I look really dumb asking these questions?):aah:

You're not dumb, English is tricky :naughty:

You would be more likely to say in everyday speech "my car battery" and not use the possessive case at all. But "my car's battery " is OK.

EDIT: I expect there is a rule, but you'll have to wait for someone else to explain it :naughty:

Edited by silver

You're not dumb, English is tricky :naughty:

You would be more likely to say in everyday speech "my car battery" and not use the possessive case at all. But "my car's battery " is OK.

Thanks!! and why "the battery of my car" is not right?? and when can I miss the "s" (I mean,like in car´"s" battery)?? always??

Thanks!! and why "the battery of my car" is not right?? and when can I miss the "s" (I mean,like in car´"s" battery)?? always??

I don't think the battery of my car is incorrect, it's just awkward. Most people would not phrase it that way.

I don't know about the possessive rule either. I would just say that I wouldn't use the possessive in this case but an adjective? :dunno: So it's a car battery the same way it could be a black battery or a dead battery. Not a battery belonging to the car. (Maybe that's why the battery of my car phrase sounds so awkward as well, as Silver pointed out.)

Sorry I'm a rubbish English teacher but I find this interesting because I noticed that many non-native speakers say "Mika's gig" which is cute but English speakers would say "Mika gig" eg. "I'm going to a Mika gig". It always makes me smile when I see it. :naughty:

"the battery of my car" is not wrong, it's just the long way of saying "my car's battery" (the battery belonging to my car).

In this particular case, though, "car battery" acts as a compound noun (like torch battery or car seat) so it doesn't need the "s". But mostly if you are talking about possession (belonging to) you would use " 's ".

My daughter's coat

His brother's wife

In this particular case, though, "car battery" acts as a compound noun (like torch battery or car seat) so it doesn't need the "s". But mostly if you are talking about possession (belonging to) you would use " 's ".

Ah that makes more sense. Thank you for the English lesson. :bow::naughty:

Sorry I'm a rubbish English teacher but I find this interesting because I noticed that many non-native speakers say "Mika's gig" which is cute but English speakers would say "Mika gig" eg. "I'm going to a Mika gig". It always makes me smile when I see it. :naughty:

That's difficult for a foreigner to understand, because for example in Finnish we have to use a possessive: a Mika gig = Mikan keikka (n mening a possessive) and if I go to see a Mika gig = menen Mikan keikalle (where menen means I go, menet would mean you go etc). The whole logic in English is so totally different that my brains make mistakes all the time :aah: (but I think i say a Mika gig though, I guess i have learn't it by now :roftl: )

Edit: i'm afraid "possessive" is not a word, but maybe you can understand, lol, i'm not on my computer atm so i shouldn't write posts like this at all.

Edited by tiibet

That's difficult for a foreigner to understand, because for example in Finnish we have to use a possessive: a Mika gig = Mikan keikka (n mening a possessive) and if I go to see a Mika gig = menen Mikan keikalle (where menen means I go, menet would mean you go etc). The whole logic in English is so totally different that my brains make mistakes all the time :aah: (but I think i say a Mika gig though, I guess i have learn't it by now :roftl: )

Ah, I have noticed it most with French speakers, I didn't realize it was an issue with English in particular. I wonder if it's a problem for German and Dutch speakers too? I've never noticed you doing it btw. :naughty:

Edit: i'm afraid "possessive" is not a word, but maybe you can understand, lol, i'm not on my computer atm so i shouldn't write posts like this at all.

Yes it's a word, don't worry about it!

I'm not saying I'm right though :naughty:

Shhh...don't tell Rosa. :mf_rosetinted:

:mf_rosetinted:

Don´t worry I told my mind to skip those posts :mf_rosetinted:

About Mika´s gig...let´s see... if Mika is performing there, it´s HIS gig, so... in Spanish it would be perfect. Same for car´s battery, it´s something belonging to someone or something...

I just explain it here so you all understand how HARD is for us non-english-speakers to type in a more or less "correct" English..

:

About Mika´s gig...let´s see... if Mika is performing there, it´s HIS gig, so... in Spanish it would be perfect. Same for car´s battery, it´s something belonging to someone or something...

Would you say "a Mika's gig" (the Spanish equivalent)? Because there are cases where we would use the possessive like "I've never been to one of Mika's gigs". But it's "a Mika gig" in the same way you would say it was "a crazy gig", "a late gig", "a long gig", etc.

Would you say "a Mika's gig" (the Spanish equivalent)? Because there are cases where we would use the possessive like "I've never been to one of Mika's gigs". But it's "a Mika gig" in the same way you would say it was "a crazy gig", "a late gig", "a long gig", etc.

Yes in Spanish it acts as a possessive... "un concierto de Mika".

If we say a "crazy gig" it´s just "un concierto loco". It´s not the same, in Spanish "crazy" it´s an adjective, and Mika is a sustantive (oh well, I think I invented this word LOL). When you say "it´s a crazy gig" or a "late gig" you are talking about a feature of the gig, so you are not talking about who did the gig. The one who does the gig, it´s like the "owner" of the gig... am I making sense? Mika can´t be a charateristic of the gig, but the one doing the gig...

I need some help. Is Siobhan a female or male name? I've never heard of it before. I'm writing her an official letter but I don't know if I should use Dear Mr or Ms:D

Female :biggrin2:

Do you know how to pronounce it? It's of Irish origin and we're used to it now, but it is a very strange one.

Is there a rule which says if I have to say:

- my car´s battery

or

- the battery of my car ???

(Do I look really dumb asking these questions?):aah:

"the battery of my car" is not wrong, it's just the long way of saying "my car's battery" (the battery belonging to my car).

I'm only adding this for the sake of posting as I so rarely do, but I think car is an adjective in car battery - like silver said torch battery.

So Mika, also, is an adjective in Mika gig, but a proper noun and possessive in Mika's gig.

sh-vaughn (I don't know the official phonic way to write it though) So weird.

I know Siobhan (I work for an Irish company), but I've never heard of Siobhra. I think her assistant said sheevra? :aah:

The Irish "Si" combination is pronounced "sh".

"o" is "ee"

"bh" is "v"

The fairy folk - The Sidhe - is pronounced "Shee" - the "dh" is completely silent :naughty:

And you thought English was hard :mf_rosetinted: