Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I finally watched the thing.

What can I say, in a nutshell I actually like it. It's a bit difficult, though, as for the gig recording I can't really evaluate it as a whole. I probably would be able to do so, if I had never seen Mika live on site before.

So, as for Mika's performance, compared to the Olympia recording it still seemed a bit hyper and rushed, but not quite as much as the LICM gig.

Actually, you know that I think that Mika's gigs are incredible and fantastic and brilliant by default, so I'm moaning on a rather high level about things I generally don't find atrocious, but just a bit less amazing than I'm used to with Mika. (This doesn't comprise the Relax Rave )

He delivered, but he was nervous and far too concerned about the whole thing, which made it all seem a bit tense. I missed the joy. Even during those 'OMG I can't believe it'-happy-face-moments he didn't seem happy happy, but just strained.

I could have done without the Encore altogether. GK sung in French really sounds hysterical to my ears and I don't have to say again what I think of the Relax Rave :naughty:

I found the recording and cutting slightly better than that of the Olympia gig.

Still not good, though. The Grey Skelly scene, for example, being something I have seen for myself several times before, did absolutely nothing to me when I watched it on screen, filmed from seemingly random angles and put together in a what I would call a rather loveless and sterile documentary style.

I'd prefer any recording of that scene filmed on a crappy camera from the audience on crappy youtube any day of the week.

Mika's and Es' set design and the circus...

I'm a sucker for everything visual, especially details. So I can't but love the stage design. Simple as that. I'm amazed about how that clown backdrop takes on a dozen different shapes and moods just due to the lighting. I will have to watch it again for more details. I definitely liked what I have seen prop-wise, my favourites still being the RSB heads.

That hand balancing artist during AOW gave me a few funny moments, when I thought about how it, along with the lights and Raffa's story, must seem like some sort of odd experimental theatre performance to anyone not familiar with the song. :roftl: I also wonder about the butt moment and who filmed and edited that one for what purpose. (I actually think that intense zoom-in on Saranayde's butt a few songs later was meant to compensate...:roftl:)

Actually, that guy was a bit too much 'in your face' at Amsterdam, too.

Where was the bird everyone is talking about in the documentary?

I love the Royal Sympathy Band. Love it! So much!

And I also really like the introduction scene from the very beginning.

I would say it's all fantastic and amazing and perfect.... if only...

Well, if only Mika was not so intense and amazing just by himself. If he was just average, only had a good voice and if he did not radiate this special sort of vibe you just want to get hold of but can't at a gig of that dimension.

I'm glad I didn't seriously go for that one. All you can get there is a trade-off. Is there a good spot at venues like that anyway? In front you could probably only see him when he was standing on the edge of your side of the stage, further back you can admire the stage design and make a guess who of the ants is Mika - and still further back you can still hope for the inflatable pizza to entertain you.

I love the documentary. Sure, they are talking about the same thing over and over, about how it is actually too big, too difficult, too expensive to be done, and how they (heavily patting their own shoulders) finally made it against all odds. The set design really turned out great and they're right to be proud. And then it would not really be Mika without a bit of whining/drama queening, after all.

My favourite part is everything about Es Devlin, I'm so in love with her miniature models. I want to own them to look at them everyday :wub2: Those tiny lollipop props... the stage... everything!!! :bow:

And I really loved the part where Mika sees the stage for the first time and looks really so impressed and happy. It still makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see him being so happy about something.. girl_blush2.gif

Oh, and a little side note:

I don't like the menu of the dvd. I do like the components each of them seen for themselves; just putting them together looks like a bit of patchwork, compared to the menu of LICM, which is quite consistent.

And I really don't know what to think about the designer thing, reading the names of Williamson and Louboutin in the credits makes me wonder and looks so wrong in my eyes. It seems like Mika is going from one extreme (having his family members do everything) to another (names, basically). I don't think he is in need of that, and to be honest I don't know where to fit that into what I thought was his philosophy.

... I probably forgot about half of what I wanted to say actually... :roftl:

Edited by violet_sky

hm, I'm not sure that I am at the right place for my asking, but can somebody of you cut a little part of the dvd ?? This would be from SITM (Chapt. 9, 0:39:30 to :45). Within this part he twinkles with his eye to somebody in the audience, at least it seems so ;) - so, is there a technical genius between us????? ...hope so ...:wub2:

Is this what you mean???

Thing is when you are on stage you just look you don't actually pinpoint one person in particular....well that is what I found anyway.

I found 2 for ya!...and I use MW SNAP...to take the screenshots :wink2:

Noname38.jpg

Noname39-1.jpg

Hope this is what you meant :thumb_yello:

xx

Daisylou- love those screencaps, I hadn't noticed

Violet_sky, that's such a great review, like RAcha's, what I've really been wanting in this thread- discussion from people who enjoyed it of the bits of the dvd, favourites v less strong bits

I've said enough already, except I'll just give a mention to the dvd extras/bonus menu (Happy Ending playing) which I'm afraid I sometimes watch as if it was a bonus in its own right!

Is this what you mean???

Thing is when you are on stage you just look you don't actually pinpoint one person in particular....well that is what I found anyway.

I found 2 for ya!...and I use MW SNAP...to take the screenshots :wink2:

Noname38.jpg

Noname39-1.jpg

Hope this is what you meant :thumb_yello:

xx

Thanks, Daisy, you are a genius :thumb_yello: . Faballa, winks or squints :wink2: ?

I hope I'm gonna watch the DVD today again... :boing:

I made some caps last night,hope you like them

PDVD_073.jpg

PDVD_071.jpg

PDVD_103.jpg

PDVD_083.jpg

Thanks Keti :thumb_yello: !

But what's happening to us ? So many stills from the PdesP dvd : hot chest cute smile , curly head... and so far not one of the Big Man's naked size 14 ?

Shame upon us :shocked: !

Thanks Keti :thumb_yello: !

But what's happening to us ? So many stills from the PdesP dvd : hot chest cute smile , curly head... and so far not one of the Big Man's naked size 14 ?

Shame upon us :shocked: !

You're welcome!:wink2:

Hmmm,he was more dressed than undressed on the DVD...:naughty:

his feet :naughty:

You mean this? :naughty:

PDVD_149.jpg

Shall we start a 'We want caps of Mika's feet to circulate on the MFC' thread ? Obviously Soariing is with us... as well as many closet worshipers of the strange, smelly, misshapen, touching and very flat things :naughty:.

I'm with you!

I think his feet are kind of cute, I don't know why, but they are.

I'm with you!

He looks like he has dancers feet with long toes....but then we have seen him dance :roftl: awww you have to love him when he dances!! :wub2: but no ballet dancer!!

Cute???? they are HUGE!!!! but hey a man with big feet isn't such a bad thing but not all rumours are true!!!:naughty:

xx

He looks like he has dancers feet with long toes....but then we have seen him dance :roftl: awww you have to love him when he dances!! :wub2: but no ballet dancer!!

Cute???? they are HUGE!!!! but hey a man with big feet isn't such a bad thing but not all rumours are true!!!:naughty:

xx

I can't put my finger in why I think that, it could be something to do with my friend saying they look like hobbits feet, which are kind of cute in their own way:naughty:

I'm with you!

I think they're cute too! :bleh:

xx

:roftl:

I can't put my finger in why I think that, it could be something to do with my friend saying they look like hobbits feet, which are kind of cute in their own way:naughty:

At least he hasn't got Hobbits ears!...he is far too tall to be a hobbit and I am short but not hairy enough!!!:roftl: Keep your eyes peeled if Meeks starts wearing a hooded cloak tho! :wink2:

xx