The Indie Rock Fag: Rockin’ the Closet

greta

16 April 2009, 3:00 pm

Mika is a flamboyant pop singer who compares himself to Grace Kelley and Freddie Mercury in his best known single. That song’s video is a veritable pride parade of rainbow outfits and fabulous dancing. An Horse is an emotive Australian male/female duo whose debut album was produced by lesbian Tegan and Sara member, Sara Quinn. They were recently listed as a “gay band at SXSW” in Wilmington, NC queer blog “Be yr own queero.” English artist Morrissey spent his time in The Smiths, and the superstar solo career that followed, writing artfully queer songs while winking and sidestepping 20 years of questions about his sexuality. That’s what these three artist have in common. All occupy different rungs on the ladder toward musical success. All have their own fan bases and record contracts and high-profile tours. And all of them are furthering the idea that being gay is shameful through the simple act of refusing to discuss their sexuality.

Morrissey’s secrecy runs so deep that he no longer grants any interviews. When I worked at the Washington Blade, Mika’s publicist gave me the run-around for a month and finally told me that an interview with him wouldn’t be possible. And the official stance on An Horse, according to their publicist, is that, “They make great music and have a large gay following.” That’s it.

Granted it’s not the obligation of a musician to discuss their sexuality anymore than a famous painter should have write press releases announcing a particularly voluminous bowel movement. It’s not technically relevant to their craft. That’s the only reason I’m not making blanket statements like “the hottest place in indie hell is reserved for artists that refuse to discuss their sexuality.” (That and I’m not enough of a blowhard.)

So lets go ahead and assume that Morrissey has a wife and An Horse are actually dating each other and Mika has eaten more pussy this week than I have matzoh. If that was the case, do you think they’d still be so coy about this corner of their personal lives?

Me neither. Straight artists never treat their sexualities as a taboo subject. Can you imagine Sir Mix-a-Lot telling Bill Bellamy that he didn’t feel comfortable admitting that “Baby Got Back” was about girls’ asses, and not boys’? What if Stevie Nicks got all bristly whenever a journalist asked her about her relationship with Lindsey Buckingham?

This leads me to my final point: Being gay is not something to be ashamed of. When an artist treats a simple query about their sexuality as a major invasion of privacy it furthers the idea that queerness is something icky and abhorrent. Something to be pushed into the furthest reaches of their closet like a pink triangular skeleton. Folks tend to make as big a deal out of your sexuality as you do. Look at Clay Aiken. He denied the obvious truth for so long that it was a worldwide media event when he spilled the beans. Compare this to someone like masterful queer rapper Shunda K, who has been upfront from the beginning. As a result, she is treated as a talented artist who happens to be gay, not a carnival attraction.

The reason this is so important to me is a thing I like to call the “13 year-old boy test.” The test goes as follows: when I was a closeted, lonely 13 year-old boy would I have benefited from knowing that my favorite musician was gay? The answer is an unequivocal yes. I was aware of artists like Elton John and Melissa Etheridge, but what relevance did they have to my life? On the other hand, I listened to Automatic for the People every day. If Michael Stipe was out, then he could’ve done so much to give me hope.

A queer musician once told me, off the record, that a member of an extremely popular indie band was gay. This band has blown up to near-stratospheric levels in the past year, managing to skirt ubiquity while not losing any public love for their quirky, preppy pop. If said member actually was a ‘mo, think of how much good he could do by simply being out. He wouldn’t have to march in a parade or give a tell-all interview to The Advocate about whether he’s a top or a bottom. He’d simply just have be honest about who he was.

Music is unparalleled in its ability to bring people together. Freddie Mercury died of AIDS, but an entire soccer stadium can still sing along to “We Will Rock You.” Imagine the kind of bridges he could have built if he was was out while he was alive?

For this reason I commend a current crop of indie artists who aren’t shy about their sexuality, but who do not let it define them either. The Blow’s Khaela Maricich once told me the following:

“I’m not hiding it but I don’t have to talk about it all the time either. That does more for making people feel that being queer could be something normal.”

Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste has managed to garner universal acclaim for his band while being completely open about who he sleeps with. The aforementioned Tegan and Sara have done more to give hope to queer teenage girls than the entire combined run of the new “Degrassi High.” Aaron Harris is the drummer for Islands. He’s not a household name and you won’t see him with his shirt off on Queerty, but when I emailed the band for an interview, he replied to me the next day, saying he was queer and would be happy to talk to me about it. No big deal, no pulling teeth. Just a couple questions about queer indie culture before we moved on to the real focus of the interview: his music.

So for this reason I set a challenge to An Horse: if one of you is gay, just go out there and be gay. You don’t have to shout it from the rooftops or hire a skywriter to proclaim it in the clouds above Coachella. Just treat it as a simple fact and the rest of the indie-verse will follow suit. Hell, I can even promise you the world’s most respectful, least salacious coming out interview.

An Horse is already being recognized for their considerable musical talent. But they could also be known as heroes.

http://thenewgay.net/2009/04/ambiguity-rocks.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really interesting article, thanks for posting!!

I've thought about this issue a lot.....and it's complex.

The bottom line for me is that anyone in the public eye has the right to keep what they want private. I don't think they owe anything to anyone, to be honest. If this causes intrigue and attracts more attention than simply coming out, well, so be it; that doesn't mean that they should come out (if they are gay, that is). I don't think this in any way makes it seem like being gay is "icky" or anything like that! Different celebs chose to avoid questions about various aspects of their lives; that doesn't that they're ashamed of it, or that anyone else should think they're hiding something! I mean, one could argue that Morrissey, Sarah, Mika, whoever, just sidestep the issue as a publicity stunt - it keeps critics, etc, intrigued.

The part about someone in the public being a role model is another issue I have problems with. It's not fair to say a celeb should come out so they can help other people to do the same...Granted, I'm sure there are people who have been helped in this way, but I don't think people, especially young people, should depend on celebrities to guide them. I understand that there are many people who feel they don't have the support of their parents or friends with regard to certain worries they have, but I really think relying on celebrities is not a good choice. Celebrities are human, they make mistakes, they make decisions for personal reasons. It's irrational to expect them to always behave sensibly, morally or self-deprecatingly. Relying on them for guidance or support often ends in disappointment. I mean, remember the scandal when nude pics of Vanessa thing (sorry can't remember her name) from HSM were leaked....parents freaked out because they had let their kids believe that this girl was a role model, an example of perfection or something. If children or young people need someone to look up to, let it be someone in their everyday life, someone who they can see is NOT perfect, so they can see that people/life are not always perfect.

Sorry, what a ramble.

Edited by neeve272

o crap is this not a good article bout mika:boxed: didnt bother reading it as my eyes are blood shot from reading the reports thread and i am to lazy... if it is is bad then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO if it is good then YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

k rant done:bleh:

Thanks for posting Greta!:thumb_yello:

Interesting article even if it was a little provocative…:bleh:

Neeve, I think you’re making a good point. :thumb_yello:

Holly, please don’t keep your mouth shut, I like it when you’re talking!:wub2:

Kata, I would too, it’s been a really long time since we had this old discussion:naughty: but I’m too tired after all the gig threads just like I<MIKA!

Hmm interesting arcticle, but Mika has always been about the music, his private life has been kept just that, very private. I don't think there is any reason for him to 'reveal' his sexuality, as that is just putting an emphasis on it mattering, and if something is worth getting in a huff over, you can bet your arse that some people will be mad and others in love with it, and wouldn't it limit him as an artist to some extent? If he writes a love song about a woman, some might say "wait..thats not right.." really, I don't think Meeks has any obligation to reveal his private life.

although...Lord knows I would love to know :P

I want to know who this indie rock person is who is allegedly gay :naughty:.

Don't you just hate it when someone only partially outs someone like that...what a tease!:bleh:

*serious face now* Yep there are serious issues here and this whole thing is only going to come to the fore again and again now Mika's coming back into the spotlight. *sigh* frankly, I still don't know the answer. But thanks for posting.

This article definitely brings up some very good points. My favorite bit is:

"...all of them are furthering the idea that being gay is shameful through the simple act of refusing to discuss their sexuality."

But, Mika has answered this question before, directly. He doesn't want to be "an artist defined by sexuality". He wants his music to be the most striking aspect of his career, not who he sleeps with.

Which I completely understand.

(video): http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=31322177

However, there has been so much speculation. I don't want Mika to have to live hiding himself, hiding who he really is. Like the article says, since he's been refusing to speak about it for so long, it's going to be a much bigger deal if he actually does come out.

I don't want Mika to have to spend his entire career--which will obviously be long--hiding who he is. But it is very early, so he is perfectly entitled.

That's my two cents. :wink2:

"...all of them are furthering the idea that being gay is shameful through the simple act of refusing to discuss their sexuality."

But, Mika has answered this question before, directly. He doesn't want to be "an artist defined by sexuality". He wants his music to be the most striking aspect of his career, not who he sleeps with.

(video): http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=31322177

However, there has been so much speculation. I don't want Mika to have to live hiding himself, hiding who he really is. Like the article says, since he's been refusing to speak about it for so long, it's going to be a much bigger deal if he actually does come out.

I don't want Mika to have to spend his entire career--which will obviously be long--hiding who he is. But it is very early, so he is perfectly entitled.

Gosh, that really makes it sound like I think he's gay.

If he's straight then he needs to get out there and TELL ME I'M WRONG! :naughty:

I just hate articles of the sort. They're so vain and void it hurts.

Concrete example. I know of this singer, he

* wears eye liner and what can look as outrageous make up for a boy

* wrote a song about a "crush" he had for a guy at high school

* was really pissed off about the press always asking about his sexual orientation, so much so he said he wouldn't talk about it

The story ended when he got a wife and had a baby.

Not so gay uh? for someone who had decided not to discuss his sexuality too openly...

That doesnt mean I think Mika's gay, nor that he's straight. That just means these articles/blogs/theories are pointless and stupid.

:wink2:

I still believe Mika when he says that he wants to be defined by his music and not his private life. The problem is that other people refuse to believe that. Although I do think that "hiding" your sexuality might make some people think that it you should be ashamed of your sexual orientation, I also think that by making such a difference between gay, straight, and bi artists and talking only about that aspect of their lives also has a negative effect. idk I still don't care, and I don't think anyone of us care all that much. (even if we are curious :bleh:)

It appears we've come full circle since the chatter before/at the beginning of the first album on this topic.

We have, haven’t we?!:wink2:

Hmm interesting arcticle, but Mika has always been about the music, his private life has been kept just that, very private. I don't think there is any reason for him to 'reveal' his sexuality, as that is just putting an emphasis on it mattering, and if something is worth getting in a huff over, you can bet your arse that some people will be mad and others in love with it, and wouldn't it limit him as an artist to some extent? If he writes a love song about a woman, some might say "wait..thats not right.." really, I don't think Meeks has any obligation to reveal his private life.

although...Lord knows I would love to know :P

"A lovesong about a woman..."

And the difference in "a lovesong about a man" would be....:naughty:

What I mean is that love is love and in the actual feeling I'm sure it's no difference!

I don't think he's hiding, he just doesn't want to tell the media.:wink2:

Thanks for posting Greta!

Interesting article even if it was a little provocative…

Neeve, I think you’re making a good point. :thumb_yello:

Holly, please don’t keep your mouth shut, I like it when you’re talking!

Kata, I would too, it’s been a really long time since we had this old discussion but I’m too tired after all the gig threads just like I<MIKA!

It appears we've come full circle since the chatter before/at the beginning of the first album on this topic.

yep....it's always going to come back isn't it?!

agreed, and agreed :thumb_yello:

I don't think he's hiding, he just doesn't want to tell the media.

Yep, I think you're right!

I was in a rush when I posted it... *now...what comment add* {among your all valid points}?

40.jpg

Rob said :cool:

I'm completely asexual :naughty:

seriously, that's just the same point of view from the original MIKA fanbase...

dunno what the Man in person wants to make of it, seems the I don't care attitude it's part of his strategy too.

edit: I honestly think it's not a good gameplan -by Mika's side- to simply ignore the "sexual life" rumors ...coz so media keep on shift focus from what should be the main topic of attention {his musical career}

p.s: who cares if Pattinson smokes or Mika is into furry indeed, coz they're humans with our same rights & duties {& have choosen not acting like world saviours...Bono?! Mwhaha}

Edited by greta
I'm asleep

Really interesting article, thanks for posting!!

I've thought about this issue a lot.....and it's complex.

The bottom line for me is that anyone in the public eye has the right to keep what they want private. I don't think they owe anything to anyone, to be honest. If this causes intrigue and attracts more attention than simply coming out, well, so be it; that doesn't mean that they should come out (if they are gay, that is). I don't think this in any way makes it seem like being gay is "icky" or anything like that! Different celebs chose to avoid questions about various aspects of their lives; that doesn't that they're ashamed of it, or that anyone else should think they're hiding something! I mean, one could argue that Morrissey, Sarah, Mika, whoever, just sidestep the issue as a publicity stunt - it keeps critics, etc, intrigued.

The part about someone in the public being a role model is another issue I have problems with. It's not fair to say a celeb should come out so they can help other people to do the same...Granted, I'm sure there are people who have been helped in this way, but I don't think people, especially young people, should depend on celebrities to guide them. I understand that there are many people who feel they don't have the support of their parents or friends with regard to certain worries they have, but I really think relying on celebrities is not a good choice. Celebrities are human, they make mistakes, they make decisions for personal reasons. It's irrational to expect them to always behave sensibly, morally or self-deprecatingly. Relying on them for guidance or support often ends in disappointment. I mean, remember the scandal when nude pics of Vanessa thing (sorry can't remember her name) from HSM were leaked....parents freaked out because they had let their kids believe that this girl was a role model, an example of perfection or something. If children or young people need someone to look up to, let it be someone in their everyday life, someone who they can see is NOT perfect, so they can see that people/life are not always perfect.

Sorry, what a ramble.

She is Vanessa Hudgens... Not that I have watched High School Musical movies.

I could sign your full statement, too. Well said!

Mika or anyone else is in no way obliged to reveal if they are gay or not. Of course we are curious, but I don't think there are many people at MFC that can't live without knowing it about Mika. I hope so. :blink:

The press on the other hand can't live without knowing, can they? I think it's only sad. It shows how difficult it is for them to find interesting things to write about. :thumbdown:

Edited by Marianne84

I want to know who this indie rock person is who is allegedly gay :naughty:. .

I think many of them are...we'd be surprised.. trouble is I don't know many indie artists...:naughty:

Don't you just hate it when someone only partially outs someone like that...what a tease!:bleh:

only to prove themselves... Sure they feel better now.:thumbdown:

...otherwise I hate so much when not a single word is mentioned about his music... He is a musician after all, not a freedom fighter or a gay rights campaigner:naughty:

Mika or anyone else is in no way obliged to reveal if they are gay or not. Of course we are curious, but I don't think there are many people at MFC that can't live without knowing it about Mika. I hope so. :blink:

The press on the other hand can't live without knowing, can they? I think it's only sad. It shows how difficult it is for them to find interesting things to write about. :thumbdown:

Yep I completely agree with what you said.

(as an aside, I have to say I do like HSM1, haha!)

...otherwise I hate so much when not a single word is mentioned about his music... He is a musician after all, not a freedom fighter or a gay rights campaigner:naughty:

Yep, exactly!!!

It is sad. But like it or not, sex is what sells the papers and articles so... Its probably more sellable to be a bit mysterious about it rather than straightforward so Mika's probably not as reluctant to have it talked about as is sometimes said.

But I think for me, just because he's a musician doesn't mean we have any right to know about his private life, and if that's the point he's making then ABSOLUTELY!! Has always amazed me that people can think they have the right to know everything about artists - would they ask their doctor or dentist about their sexuality?

I still believe Mika when he says that he wants to be defined by his music and not his private life. The problem is that other people refuse to believe that.

yes, but also, for an artist like Mika who writes stories in his songs, it would be less authentic if the narrator suddenly revealed his orientation.. It would simple distract attention and his stories would not be so creadible any more...

I just hate articles of the sort. They're so vain and void it hurts.

Concrete example. I know of this singer, he

* wears eye liner and what can look as outrageous make up for a boy

* wrote a song about a "crush" he had for a guy at high school

* was really pissed off about the press always asking about his sexual orientation, so much so he said he wouldn't talk about it

The story ended when he got a wife and had a baby.

Not so gay uh? for someone who had decided not to discuss his sexuality too openly...

That doesnt mean I think Mika's gay, nor that he's straight. That just means these articles/blogs/theories are pointless and stupid.

indeed I know of a singer who was in a band with his siblings & OMG did he look gay (still does more so now than back then to be honest) but he's as straight as they come it certainly makes people's jaws drop i'll tell you!

I think in some ways it would be just damned simpler if Mika just said one way or another what he is it'd shut people the f**k up you know what I mean? he's just gonna get pestered for the rest of his career & I can really see it doing his head in in the end

I'm not saying as a celeb he has to it should be something they all do or anything or that's it's anybody's business but if he said look i'm straight, gay, bi whatever then people would initially go ohhhhhhh realllyyyyy???

then it would all die down & they'd concentrate on his music & hopefully leave him alone & stop bugging him about it so much

I don't know about any of you lot but I'm finding it just a tad annoying hearing about it all the flipping time

I personally couldn't give a hoot who he sleeps with & whatnot I'm just sick of hearing the is he isn't he is he isn't he is he isn't he ALL the Flipping time :hair::mad3::hunter:

sorry it just really grates on my fricken nerves

there's more to life than some bloomin' popstars sexuality *rolls eyes*

Edited by DarkLight
typo