Queuing for GA gigs - thoughts, feedback, suggestions?

lollipop_monkey

Let's imagine years from now, when Mika is on his 4th album and the MFC has 30,000 registered members, wouldn't we all feel a little entitled to have first dibs?

:shocked:

MFC: On line users 5689

:stretcher:

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I think that due to quite a few people's hard work we have come a long way. In 07 early 08 it was a nightmare. Queueing all day and even having a number on your hand actually meant nothing when the doors/gates were opened. I can remember quite a few instances (Turino/Hammersmith) when I queued for hours but ended up behind people who had come much later. It has worked well this time because of the cooperation of the venues/John/Team Mika and the MFC. I do think it is crazy that one has to spend all day on a pavement to guarentee a good place....but at least if you know that it IS going to guarentee you that place then it is worth it.

Yes - that sounds about right :mf_rosetinted:

Ha! It's just that I'm probably twice the age of more than half this forum and it boggles my mind when I suddenly realize that time has passed in a flash. :blink:

I've already been here 2 and a half years. So when the next 2 and a half years go by, Mika may likely be onto his 4th. :wink2:

Ha! It's just that I'm probably twice the age of more than half this forum and it boggles my mind when I suddenly realize that time has passed in a flash. :blink:

I've already been here 2 and a half years. So when the next 2 and a half years go by, Mika may likely be onto his 4th. :wink2:

:naughty: I'm definitely twice the age ..... :shocked: and I hadn't thought about how much time has passed since I joined the MFC ...:shocked: :shocked: What am I doing with my life?

But what a lovely way to pass the time :fangurl:

It may happen one day when even pre-sale tickets for MFCers becomes in such high demand. It is obviously a possibility that many of us may not be in first row.

A system based on something - for example, registration date, points, post count activity, raffle, etc., or some combination of this criteria, for Right of First Refusal may possibly sort this a little better.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561548017/right_of_first_refusal.html

Let's imagine years from now, when Mika is on his 4th album and the MFC has 30,000 registered members, wouldn't we all feel a little entitled to have first dibs?

I like this. Because when people find out the MFC gets presales, many people will sign up just for the perks. So it wouldn't be more than fair that those people who were here early and are still active will be able to get things first.

Yes - that sounds about right :mf_rosetinted:

:naughty:

It may happen one day when even pre-sale tickets for MFCers becomes in such high demand. It is obviously a possibility that many of us may not be in first row.

A system based on something - for example, registration date, points, post count activity, raffle, etc., or some combination of this criteria, for Right of First Refusal may possibly sort this a little better.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_561548017/right_of_first_refusal.html

I like this. Because when people find out the MFC gets presales, many people will sign up just for the perks. So it wouldn't be more than fair that those people who were here early and are still active will be able to get things first.

This is important.:thumb_yello:

Why should a person who doesn’t care about the MFC at all, doesn’t contribute with so much as a post, if it’s not for buying or selling a ticket, have the same access to get perks like the faithful and active fans have?:blink:

"I don't have the time" is not an argument I believe in...you have time for the important things in your life, it's only a question of priorities!

Unless maybe you’re a breast feeding single mother of two of course….:teehee:

Why should a person who doesn’t care about the MFC at all, doesn’t contribute with so much as a post, if it’s not for buying or selling a ticket, have the same access to get perks like the faithful and active fans have?:blink:

"I don't have the time" is not an argument I believe in...you have time for the important things in your life, it's only a question of priorities!

Then they also don't have time to go to a gig:mf_rosetinted:

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Posting on MFC can't be what makes the difference between a 'real' fan and a non-fan/not fan enough. I don't think it would be fair. Posting also depends on people's personality. I have been an almost silent user for at least 6 months, before I started to post regularly.

If you start talking about 'who has got the right to', we will end up :boxing:

:no:

Exactly. That is totally my point of view, and as has been discussed here many times, what happens in many other official fanclubs.

They have earlier fans getting first right, etc. Only fair IMO, and obviously in many other people's opinions, as this seems to be a pretty standard system elsewhere.

Very well said, Sienna. I totally agree. The same people who "don't have time" to contribute or be active in the fanclub, have plenty of time for other things, it's a matter of priorities.

So, if your priority is NOT Mika, then the best tickets should go to people whose priority IS Mika, it's as simple as that.

And, at this stage, it's so clear that even Mika has made it evident a few times that he wants his older fans to get good perks, that nobody can even dispute that this is what he'd want anyway. He wants to reward his most loyal fans, who have been following him for years now, and investing so much time/passion/money in his career, helping him get where he is.

The guy has even told us how it makes HIM feel when he sees people that he recognises at the gigs, at the front, and that this means a lot to him.

Surely he'd want that to be the norm, and not have some random person off the street who just happened to think "oh, let me check this Mika dude out, see if he's not as camp as they make him" and got a ticket becuase he knows someone who works for the record company or whatever.

Am I the only one who likes queuing? :teehee:

I enjoy spending time with people, but when you've been in queues for 12+ hours where it's freezing (and I don't mean the LA freezing, I mean real, winter in London type freezing) , raining bucketloads on you and you have nowhere to hide, or no toilets nearby, and people not letting you back into your spot and trying to queue jump right left and center, queuing is NOT fun.

At all. It's pretty damn sh!t, actually :wink2:.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. Posting on MFC can't be what makes the difference between a 'real' fan and a non-fan/not fan enough. I don't think it would be fair. Posting also depends on people's personality. I have been an almost silent user for at least 6 months, before I started to post regularly.

If you start talking about 'who has got the right to', we will end up :boxing:

:no:

It's not about real fans or not fan enough. It's about the MFC getting privileges. And you don't have to post 100 times a day, but at least activity should be required. It's also not fair when someone who signed up in say, February 2007, never posted anything and suddenly came back claiming their right to a ticket even though they never bothered to come back anymore in those 2 years. And yes it's true, even when you don't post much on the MFC you can still be a huge fan of Mika. But considering the circumstances, my opinion is that the early fans who are still active to date should get tickets first.

It's not about real fans or not fan enough. It's about the MFC getting privileges. And you don't have to post 100 times a day, but at least activity should be required. It's also not fair when someone who signed up in say, February 2007, never posted anything and suddenly came back claiming their right to a ticket even though they never bothered to come back anymore in those 2 years. And yes it's true, even when you don't post much on the MFC you can still be a huge fan of Mika. But considering the circumstances, my opinion is that the early fans who are still active to date should get tickets first.

But the risk is that people may start to post crap just to be active! :boxed:

Like me. :mf_rosetinted:

Yes, you have great points there about the "old" members coming back after not having taken part in the community for years, and I believe that this should be taken into account as well.

It's a very complex situation, but I hope that when the time comes, we will manage to resolve it in a fair way.

But it's not all about "posting" in the thousands in order to be "active", and posting crap just to up numbers is a very easily recognisable pattern that I am sure will be dealt with if it would happen.

Forget about perks, posting crap just for the sake of it can be seen as spam, and if it's putting an unnecessary load on an already poorly server, it's something that IMO the mod team should be looking at controlling in some ways, so I would personally not advise anyone to try and up their post count by purposely posting crap :naughty:.

True, but as we said, the register date should also be a strong factor in this all. Plus I think that those who can get tickets first must get a limit as to how many tickets they can order. For example 2 a person.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind if someone else is in front. But when I go to a gig of an artist I really admire, I have this adrenaline rush that just says I have to be at the front. If I can't get there in the end, I can deal with it but still. When there are presales, I want good tickets and I'm willing to pay a higher price for that even. But I would hate it if someone just came here, happens to be quicker as I was unable to go online or something like that and got better tickets than me. It may sound really selfish, but every MFCer wants to be as close to the stage as possible to be close enough to Mika. Considering many MFCers, including myself, have invested a lot of time and money in Mika, even travelling abroad to see him and come on here every single day when we can to talk about Mika, even BEFORE MFC was official and before we were even close to getting perks, I think those loyal fans should get the best deals first.

Thanks, that is what I meant but you said it so well!:thumb_yello:

I would never think about your posts as crap, the opposite laura:wub2: I've been reading your posts a lot, I know at least a little who you are, what you stand for and that you are a regular poster!

Fair enuogh?!

And I can tell you…it took me months to start posting too…I wasn’t use to this kind of media, but today I’m so happy that I did, this fan club has brought nothing but happiness in to my life!:blush-anim-cl:

I would never think about your posts as crap, the opposite laura:wub2: I've been reading your posts a lot, I know at least a little who you are, what you stand for and that you are a regular poster!

Fair enuogh?!

And I can tell you…it took me months to start posting too…I wasn’t use to this kind of media, but today I’m so happy that I did, this fan club has brought nothing but happiness in to my life!:blush-anim-cl:

:tears::huglove:

Very well said, Sienna. I totally agree. The same people who "don't have time" to contribute or be active in the fanclub, have plenty of time for other things, it's a matter of priorities.

So, if your priority is NOT Mika, then the best tickets should go to people whose priority IS Mika, it's as simple as that.

And, at this stage, it's so clear that even Mika has made it evident a few times that he wants his older fans to get good perks, that nobody can even dispute that this is what he'd want anyway. He wants to reward his most loyal fans, who have been following him for years now, and investing so much time/passion/money in his career, helping him get where he is.

The guy has even told us how it makes HIM feel when he sees people that he recognises at the gigs, at the front, and that this means a lot to him.

Surely he'd want that to be the norm, and not have some random person off the street who just happened to think "oh, let me check this Mika dude out, see if he's not as camp as they make him" and got a ticket becuase he knows someone who works for the record company or whatever.

This makes me smile every time I hear it!:blush-anim-cl:

His little MFC family!:wub2:

True, but as we said, the register date should also be a strong factor in this all. Plus I think that those who can get tickets first must get a limit as to how many tickets they can order. For example 2 a person.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind if someone else is in front. But when I go to a gig of an artist I really admire, I have this adrenaline rush that just says I have to be at the front. If I can't get there in the end, I can deal with it but still. When there are presales, I want good tickets and I'm willing to pay a higher price for that even. But I would hate it if someone just came here, happens to be quicker as I was unable to go online or something like that and got better tickets than me. It may sound really selfish, but every MFCer wants to be as close to the stage as possible to be close enough to Mika. Considering many MFCers, including myself, have invested a lot of time and money in Mika, even travelling abroad to see him and come on here every single day when we can to talk about Mika, even BEFORE MFC was official and before we were even close to getting perks, I think those loyal fans should get the best deals first.

I totally agree; Very well said.

It's true that we built this community (and still are!) into what it is, way before we even had any inclination to believe that one day we might get some form of recognition or perks, and this to me is the crux of the situation.

At the end of the day, NOBODY on MFC would get perks if it wasn't for all these founding members putting in hard work and time, so hey, it's only fair that these members reap the benefits when the time comes.

But Laura, I'm not sure why you are so against the idea, as I'm sure that whatever the criteria ends up being, you will be part of it anyway.

I totally agree; Very well said.

It's true that we built this community (and still are!) into what it is, way before we even had any inclination to believe that one day we might get some form of recognition or perks, and this to me is the crux of the situation.

At the end of the day, NOBODY on MFC would get perks if it wasn't for all these founding members putting in hard work and time, so hey, it's only fair that these members reap the benefits when the time comes.

But Laura, I'm not sure why you are so against the idea, as I'm sure that whatever the criteria ends up being, you will be part of it anyway.

I'm not worried about not being among the 'happy few'. Well, you should all know I would be too shy for the front row anyway... :blush-anim-cl::naughty:

I'm thinking about other fan sites for example. Some people may not feel at ease in a forum where the main language is English. I've come across people (mainly through Myspace) belonging to the Italian forums who told me that the language on MFC was a barrier to them.

I wouldn't like to be considered member of a fan site that has got "superpowers" and a posh fan...

Why not an alphabetical-order system?

That's unfair. Say my name is Wubblebub and I've been here since the beginning, and another person is called Aaaaallaaan, and came later than me, he'd get tickets before me.:blink:

Not that there is a huge chance an Allan would sign up anyway:naughty:

That's unfair. Say my name is Wubblebub and I've been here since the beginning, and another person is called Aaaaallaaan, and came later than me, he'd get tickets before me.:blink:

Not that there is a huge chance an Allan would sign up anyway:naughty:

Mwaaaaaa ha ha everybody should change their name, and the system would be perfect: everyone in the front row!:biggrin2: