Hit and Run: From The Independent 7/7/09

dcdeb

Stars who would be king

There's a new vacancy in the music world: King of Pop. The criteria for this position? To be a best-selling artist and endure decades of success. No mean feat.

And it's not necessarily an auspicious role. As the editor of NME, Conor McNicholas, says, "I'm not sure I'd want to curse anyone as King of Pop. It seems like it's a title that'll drag you to disaster". As for a successor to the throne, he says there simply isn't one. "If we're really looking for the new King of Pop, then it's probably every kid in every bedroom with a PC – they're more in control of the music industry than most record executives."

Matt Cook, director of music and artist relations at MTV, agrees. "Jackson was crowned the King of Pop in an age when fans connected with and had a much deeper relationship with artists and their music. Rather than a Sony Walkman and half a dozen cassettes, music fans now have instant access to thousands upon thousands of songs. Their music experience and relationships with artists, although infinitely broader, is far more shallow."

That hasn't stopped some industry types trying to spot an heir. A little prematurely, in 2003, Rolling Stone hailed Justin Timberlake the new King on their cover, and the discussion resurfaced in 2007. After all, he's had the hit album (Justified has sold more than 8 million copies), the superstar girlfriend (Britney Spears), and what's more, he can dance. McNicholas doesn't think he's ready. "I'd give Timberlake Prince Of Pop. He hasn't gone to the next level yet."

The editor of Q, Paul Rees, tips an even younger star. "The best pop song that I've heard in a long time is Mika's forthcoming single "We Are Golden". Given that pop royalty are, by the very nature of the role, supposed to be entirely over the top and divide people strictly into love and hate camps, Mika will do the job as well as anyone."

Stuart Williams, managing director of Bauer Media Music and Film, who has brought back the magazine Smash Hits as a one-off tribute to Jackson, says no-one can take his place, but offers an alternative. "Pop these days is very knowing and manufactured; you have to share every minutiae of your life. For the time being, we'll have to make do with the Queen of Pop – Madonna."

She's got the longevity, the success, the fame – and although, at 50 years of age, her 30-year career is somewhat lagging behind Jackson's, she has years ahead. She has 200 million in sales under her belt (to Jackson's 750 million). She has also been releasing albums consistently – her last was Hard Candy in 2008 compared to Jackson's 2001 Invincible. All hail!

-- Elisa Bray

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/hit-and-run/hit--run-playing-for-glory-because-the-trophys-so-lousy-1736010.html

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Mika King of Pop!

But then, he already is, at least, for us...;)

EDIT: Oh and pardon my manners, thank you so much Deb, for posting it...;)

Edited by willywonka

Am I the first to comment? Well, Mika is my favorite artist ever and this article makes me want to hear "We are golden" even more , although I don't think it's possible! It should be played on a radio (which? and where?) either on July 17th or 21st (depending on thenewspapers) at 12.30...does anyone here know a little bit more...I'd really love to hear when it's aired for the very first time!

The editor of Q, Paul Rees, tips an even younger star. "The best pop song that I've heard in a long time is Mika's forthcoming single "We Are Golden". Given that pop royalty are, by the very nature of the role, supposed to be entirely over the top and divide people strictly into love and hate camps, Mika will do the job as well as anyone."

Bloody hell. That was not what I was expecting to read.

Mika, King of Pop.

Not sure I would like that.

But cannot wait for the single.:aah:

Really can't wait for we are golden now!!! :boxed:

There shouldn't be an heir to that throne.. it is MJ's forever... but I do like the 'Mika' suggestion though... however, of course Mika is unique.. he shall gain his own title in due time.. thanks for sharing Deb!:thumb_yello:

There shouldn't be an heir to that throne.. it is MJ's forever... but I do like the 'Mika' suggestion though... however, of course Mika is unique.. he shall gain his own title in due time.. thanks for sharing Deb!:thumb_yello:

Agree 120% :thumb_yello:

I'm not sure Mikas ready to take this on, any more than JT is.

I'm surprised Robbie Williams name hasn't been mentioned. His new album is due out, so I've heard, so I would imagine that he would have been top of the list.

But as most people have pointed out, how can Michael be replaced.

He's a very hard act to follow, I don't think anyone should try.

Am I the first to comment? Well, Mika is my favorite artist ever and this article makes me want to hear "We are golden" even more , although I don't think it's possible! It should be played on a radio (which? and where?) either on July 17th or 21st (depending on thenewspapers) at 12.30...does anyone here know a little bit more...I'd really love to hear when it's aired for the very first time!

We've heard that it will be released July 17 *worldwide*... so I guess

we'll keep our ears open and see what happens in 10 days! :thumb_yello:

As for the title -- not really interested in that. The thing that stood

out for me was the high praise for the single... and for Mika himself.

I really am anxious to hear We Are Golden! :woot_jump:

Edited by dcdeb

I'm not sure Mikas ready to take this on, any more than JT is.

I'm surprised Robbie Williams name hasn't been mentioned. His new album is due out, so I've heard, so I would imagine that he would have been top of the list.

But as most people have pointed out, how can Michael be replaced.

He's a very hard act to follow, I don't think anyone should try.

Nobody should be accurate to replace the king of pop. on about Robbie Williams :wub2:and many said was the new king of pop but it's always going to be one, MJ :mf_rosetinted:

Thanks for posting. :wink2:

I think that the king of pop will always be MJ...and it's a good thing because this 'role' brings also a lot of pressure to an artist..and pressure is dangerous!

Well..now I'm more curious to hear We Are Golden :arf2:

Although it should be taken as a compliment to be considered the next "King of Pop" - MIKA's already holding the title of the Kind & Fine Wizard (of Pop)

Thanks for the article deb.

Don't you guys think that they are holding the carrot in front of our eyes?:sneaky2:

It seems like everyone has heard We are golden except us, I'm going to explode from anxiety!:blowup:

It seems like THEY ARE GOLDEN, and WE ARE JUST SILVER!:sneaky2:

:thumb_yello:

Perhaps we should wait till Madonna gets too old and vote for Mika as "Queen of Pop" instead...:biggrin2:

whoa.\

sorry mika. title of king of pop goes to MJ - the one, the only. Its a hard earned and worthy title for him.

but i still love you a trillion times more mikster :pinkbow: i just don't think 'king of pop' fits either JT or Meeks - i think it belongs soley to MJ and Meeks is allgood being the King of physcobabble pop - that fits him better.